2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Manele (Lanai) in early January

azgolfer44

I played 36 holes at Manele Golf Course at the Four Seasons in Lanai early this week. What an unbelievable experience! Everything from the conditions, views, service, food, practice facility was top notch! I am hoping others share in the experience, so here is a recap:

I took the 6:45 ferry from Lahaina to Lanai. The ferry ride itself was a nice adventure. Saw several humpback whales, and great views of Maui and Lanai. The ferry took a little less than 45 minutes. A shuttle from the Four Seasons was waiting at the dock in Lanai.

My tee time was 9:40, so I had plenty of time to get breakfast and warm up. The course had complimentary bread, fruit, and coffee in the pro shop. We also ordered a small breakfast. The pro shop was small but well equipped. There was also a small locker room to keep your belongings. The staff at the pro shop was very accommodating, quickly moving through the small group checking in. It appeared that there were 3 or 4 groups that teed off between the time I arrived, and the time I teed off, which was about 9:10.

The driving range itself was pleasing. The course has brand new Pro V1's practice balls, with about 8 driving range stalls. Great views of the ocean and the bay while hitting balls. After hitting a few putts, I was off.

I played as a single all day, playing 2 balls in the morning and 1 ball in the afternoon. The starter stated that the front 9 would be the best 9 holes you have ever played, and that the back 9 would be twice as good. He was absolutely right!

The first several holes climb the side of the mountain, reaching a pinnacle on hole 5 tee, which then dramatically drops off on the second shot. I really liked hole two, a long par 4 with a severely uphill second shot to a wide green. The front side has 3 par 5's, 3 par 4's, and 3 par 3's. Hole six is the best par 5 which plays downhill and left to right. Hole eight is the best and longest par 3 with Dr. Suess looking surrounding trees surrounding the greens. (of course immaculately maintained). At the turn, the course provided complimentary pineapple lemonade, which was a nice touch.

The back 9 is the most enjoyable 9 holes in golf. Once again, very dramatic uphill and downhill holes, but not in a hokey sense. The best (and most famous) hole is number 12, which played 210, all carry over the Pacific Ocean. Hole 17 is equally dramatic, with a significant carry over the Pacific Ocean on the tee shot, followed by a semi-blind second shot. The finishing hole is another uphill par 4 with the pacific ocean on the right.

Overall, not a boring hole on the course. Course was in perfect condition. Greens were not super fast, but very true. You could not even find a single ball mark on the greens. The course presented a good challenge, but nothing over the top. From a design perspective, it is not in the tier of classic designs or Bandon, but amazing how the holes were perched on the side of the island.

Lunch at the Views Grill was very good. I had fish tacos and wife had the seafood salad. As with Four Seasons, it was a little overpriced, but worth it for the view alone.

And the best part, there was literally 4 groups on the course. It was better than a private course - it was like having your own course!

After the second round, we had a drink at the Four Seasons Resort, which was world class. We took the 6:45 p.m. ferry back to Maui. The ferry is nice and clean.

A few other tidbits:

• Course made a leather, personalized bag tag, which was included in the green fee (can be $10+ at other courses)
  • Course just recently allowed players not staying at the resort.
  • Replay rate was $100
  • My wife went to the spa at the Four Seasons. She thought the spa was great. Beforehand, she went to the beach where there were dozens of dolphins swimming and jumping

Below are just some of the pictures I took of the course. I am going to post more on Twitter (@azgolfblog).

Manele is a can't miss course if you can get to Lanai. In my opinion, it is as good as it gets. We went to Sentry TOC and from visual observations, Manele was much superior to Kapalua, with no crowd to boot. I am happy to answer any questions about the course or the trip. Aloha!

• attachment=4278046:IMG_1239.JPG]

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the great post, azgolfer. It inspired me to go back to Lanai yesterday for our 25th anniversary (we last stayed at Manele for our honeymoon). This was also just a day trip (golf is included if we had stayed at the Four Seasons a couple of nights, but like you we did the ferry over and back), but I did 36 holes on a course with immaculate conditioning, stunning views on almost every hole, and a well designed course. The greens were also immaculate...generally not overly complex, but there were subtle breaks. Be prepared to lose a few balls, it isn't a "resort course" design, as they don’t overly protect the gorges (or bunkers) with thick rough. The service was world class....for example, the cart's Bluetooth speakers and gps malfunctioned on the 13th hole of my first round, so they comp'ed my replay round. And when changing carts at the turn I neglected to bring my old scorecard, so they ran it out to me without my asking. My wife loved the snorkeling on Hulopo'e Bay.

• Like 1

I went through Four Seasons, so the full rate. It is not a value, but it is an amazing experience.

I just did a search and found the lower rate of $350 for a package; it references Hawaiian Tee Times as the provider, and on the HTT site it mentions their $485 packages are currently unavailable. So it may be questionable how current the discount web site is.

> @Muffy said:

> I went through Four Seasons, so the full rate. It is not a value, but it is an amazing experience.

>

> I just did a search and found the lower rate of $350 for a package; it references Hawaiian Tee Times as the provider, and on the HTT site it mentions their $485 packages are currently unavailable. So it may be questionable how current the discount web site is.

Thanks for the info. I figured the HTT might be questionable but I might look into it. To have this experience, I wouldn't mind paying full rate now that i've got the itch.

definitely favorite course between lanai and maui. post round prawn blt at Views is a must. i will add that some days with high winds for lahaina ( meaning 20-30+ plus) they sometimes dont run the last afternoon ferries so keep that in mind in case you were planning on staying late. if im ever unsure i always ask the ferry crew in the morning what they are thinking about the afternoon boats and theyll usually give you a good idea for when they will stop running if its in question.

> @burritos4breakfast said:

> definitely favorite course between lanai and maui. post round prawn blt at Views is a must. i will add that some days with high winds for lahaina ( meaning 20-30+ plus) they sometimes dont run the last afternoon ferries so keep that in mind in case you were planning on staying late. if im ever unsure i always ask the ferry crew in the morning what they are thinking about the afternoon boats and theyll usually give you a good idea for when they will stop running if its in question.

Thanks for the heads up. I was just told that Manele isn't taking any bookings until further notice. Not sure if this is for 3rd party booking sites or non-guests, etc.

> @lvlites said:

> Manele is a great course. Too bad you didn't get to play the Plantation course, because it soooo much more fun.

In case you didn't know, The plantation course is closed all year. Greens complexes are being rebuilt.

On another note, I wonder what's happening with the Greg Norman Mountain course on Lanai. Use to be two rounds of golf on a day trip to the island. Every year they had green problems. Bill Gates bought it sometime back but what's happened since, not a clue.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @Pepperturbo said:

> > @lvlites said:

> > Manele is a great course. Too bad you didn't get to play the Plantation course, because it soooo much more fun.

> In case you didn't know, The plantation course is closed all year. Greens complexes are being rebuilt.

>

> On another note, I wonder what's happening with the Greg Norman Mountain course on Lanai. Use to be two rounds of golf on a day trip to the island. Every year they had green problems. Bill Gates bought it sometime back but what's happened since, not a clue.

>

theyre turning it into a zip line. shame because it was really cool to go over there and play 36 on 2 contrasting courses. good news is some of the grounds crew that took care of koele, now take care of the free course in Cavendish in town and its in really great shape. not something to travel there for, a fun 9 hole track that i play regularly when visiting family over there

• Like 1

> theyre turning it into a zip line. shame because it was really cool to go over there and play 36 on 2 contrasting courses. good news is some of the grounds crew that took care of koele, now take care of the free course in Cavendish in town and its in really great shape. not something to travel there for, a fun 9 hole track that i play regularly when visiting family over there

Is there any reason to visit Lanai if you aren't golfing or staying at the hotel? Thinking of doing a day trip with family to maybe go to the beach.

> @act0fgod said:

> > @Pepperturbo said:

> Bill Gates bought it sometime back but what's happened since, not a clue.

> >

> You're mixing up tech billionaires. Larry Ellison of Oracle bought most of the island.

>

I forget that and that Bill Gates was a potential buyer before Ellison, and Gates had their marriage there.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @Besshomie said:

> > @burritos4breakfast said:

> > theyre turning it into a zip line. shame because it was really cool to go over there and play 36 on 2 contrasting courses. good news is some of the grounds crew that took care of koele, now take care of the free course in Cavendish in town and its in really great shape. not something to travel there for, a fun 9 hole track that i play regularly when visiting family over there

>

> Is there any reason to visit Lanai if you aren't golfing or staying at the hotel? Thinking of doing a day trip with family to maybe go to the beach.

No, not IMO. It's a rather benign place great for relaxing but nothing much to do.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Price wise, very close! I've only played Pebble once a few years ago. It has a lot of history, it seemed like quite a few risk/reward shots, a gorgeous water setting with large homes lining some of the fairways. And tricky greens. Manele had a more stunning setting, is a better maintained course, several make or "die" shots, less complex greens, and hardly anyone on the course. Here's an independent review:

https://golfcoursegurus.com/reviews/manele-golf-course/

> @Besshomie said:

> > @burritos4breakfast said:

> > theyre turning it into a zip line. shame because it was really cool to go over there and play 36 on 2 contrasting courses. good news is some of the grounds crew that took care of koele, now take care of the free course in Cavendish in town and its in really great shape. not something to travel there for, a fun 9 hole track that i play regularly when visiting family over there

>

> Is there any reason to visit Lanai if you aren't golfing or staying at the hotel? Thinking of doing a day trip with family to maybe go to the beach.

hunting. snorkeling. camping. exploring. you can rent a jeep and explore the island. lots of 4wd roads if the winds are light or out of the south (kona winds) polihua beach is pretty incredible. garden of the gods is also a neat spot. if you go on youtube im sure theres some travel vlogs that have some good videos on exploring the island. i bowhunt there year round. tons of axis deer and some mouflon sheep too. they have an annual deer and sheep state hunt where people hunt the northwest state leased part of the island which is very popular and people travel from all over for. for a day trip you can take the ferry from lahaina and leave at either 6:45 or 9:15 and walk 100 yards to Hulopoe beach park. bring some beach chairs, snorkel gear, and a cooler bag with snacks, lunch, beer whatever and enjoy the day. theresa general store right at the harbor too if needed. recommend going on a weekday as there wont be as many lanai locals camping. left side of the beach has the best snorkeling. take the short hike up to sweetheart rock for some great views. sometimes theres dolphins jumping in the bay in the morning too. head back on the 430 ferry or stay til the last one at 645p. Trilogy also does a day trip tour if you wanted something alittle more organized.

• Like 1

> hunting. snorkeling. camping. exploring. you can rent a jeep and explore the island. lots of 4wd roads if the winds are light or out of the south (kona winds) polihua beach is pretty incredible. garden of the gods is also a neat spot. if you go on youtube im sure theres some travel vlogs that have some good videos on exploring the island. i bowhunt there year round. tons of axis deer and some mouflon sheep too. they have an annual deer and sheep state hunt where people hunt the northwest state leased part of the island which is very popular and people travel from all over for. for a day trip you can take the ferry from lahaina and leave at either 6:45 or 9:15 and walk 100 yards to Hulopoe beach park. bring some beach chairs, snorkel gear, and a cooler bag with snacks, lunch, beer whatever and enjoy the day. theresa general store right at the harbor too if needed. recommend going on a weekday as there wont be as many lanai locals camping. left side of the beach has the best snorkeling. take the short hike up to sweetheart rock for some great views. sometimes theres dolphins jumping in the bay in the morning too. head back on the 430 ferry or stay til the last one at 645p. Trilogy also does a day trip tour if you wanted something alittle more organized.

Wow. Thank you for the info. Since golf is a bit out of my price range, I think I will take the fam there for the day. Might come back sometime and get some hunting in eventually.

• 1 year later...

Best course and experience I've ever had.  Was one of 4 groups on the course.  Had to take ferry as I wasn't staying at resort.  I will always play this course on any trip back to Maui.  Must play.  And this is coming from a guy that prefers country clubs and avoids public courses.  If you can swing it make the trip.  Its an all day trip.

• Like 1

Taylormade M2 10.5 degree Tensei Orange V2 60TX Prototype
Taylormade M2 Proto 13/ Mitsubishi Tensi Blue 70tX
Taylormade GAPR Mid 3H Oban Devotion HB 85
Miura CB 301 4-GW True Temper Rifle 7.0
Edel Putter

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really late to the thread and In Oct. of 2019 my wife and I stayed on Lanai at the Four Seasons for four nights and we had an ocean view suite which was amazing. We've been to Lanai before but never stayed and we wanted to relax a bit which we did although we did eat and drink a lot during our stay. We had a great time went to the beach, walked around the resort, went to Lanai City. I really enjoyed playing the golf course a couple of times as it was like having a great golf course to yourself and the people in the pro shop were really welcoming.

As burritos4breakfast stated the other golf course is now gone and the hotel is now called Sensei Lanai a Four Seasons Resort for adults only and I think that it's focusing on healing through food. As he also mentioned you can golf at Cavendish for free and it's a 9 hole course and I had fun playing this course and it was in good shape.