Monte's efficient swing

i*windows

> @radiman said:

> In regards to section 4.9

>

> In the hopes of creating more hip turn and getting the pressure on the ball of my left foot at the top of my swing, would it be I'll advised to setup with the pressure in my left foot already in the toes? Save me the trouble of having to figure out the sequence if it's already there?

Given the fact he said not to do that during the drill section, I'd say no, not advised. As stated above, it should happen dynamically.

> @Krt22 said:

> > @radiman said:

> > In regards to section 4.9

> >

> > In the hopes of creating more hip turn and getting the pressure on the ball of my left foot at the top of my swing, would it be I'll advised to setup with the pressure in my left foot already in the toes? Save me the trouble of having to figure out the sequence if it's already there?

>

> Given the fact he said not to do that during the drill section, I'd say no, not advised. As stated above, it should happen dynamically.

I'll have to re-watch it. Don't recall him saying not to do that.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

> @Girevik said:

> I find if I try to "preload" with my weight on my toe that throws my balance off and I end to finish on my toes and bad things happen.

I am just struggling to get the sequence right when shifting the pressure on my left foot into the toe region. Feel like if I start with the pressure more in the front, as long as I am driving the heel down in transition, it would be alright. But, could be wrong. This is the third straight day with rain, so I haven't really had a chance to try hitting balls either way.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

> @radiman said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @radiman said:

> > > In regards to section 4.9

> > >

> > > In the hopes of creating more hip turn and getting the pressure on the ball of my left foot at the top of my swing, would it be I'll advised to setup with the pressure in my left foot already in the toes? Save me the trouble of having to figure out the sequence if it's already there?

> >

> > Given the fact he said not to do that during the drill section, I'd say no, not advised. As stated above, it should happen dynamically.

>

> I'll have to re-watch it. Don't recall him saying not to do that.

It was mentioned earlier, drill 2.2. I used to do it incorrectly (lifted too early) so I work on this a lot.

• Like 1

> @radiman said:

> > @Girevik said:

> > I find if I try to "preload" with my weight on my toe that throws my balance off and I end to finish on my toes and bad things happen.

>

> I am just struggling to get the sequence right when shifting the pressure on my left foot into the toe region. Feel like if I start with the pressure more in the front, as long as I am driving the heel down in transition, it would be alright. But, could be wrong. This is the third straight day with rain, so I haven't really had a chance to try hitting balls either way.

Maybe think about lifting your heel rather than getting to the toe. If there's one thing I've learned in coaching kids in sports as well as my own golf work is that the thought that works for one person may not work for another. Think about it in different ways until you find the one that clicks.

• Like 1

Sto Pro Veritate

So...for those of you that have watched...I am trying to reconcile this concept of the downswing starting with flexion in wrist at the same time as shifting into left side with the idea that shifting into the left side is happening while backswing is not quite 100% complete. The video shows this transition move from the top in slow mo repeatedly. Now is the idea as someone not playing golf for a living and learning fundamentals, just do it the way it says in the video and get to the top correctly first? And some years later, when you might actually be good, you may see in a video that you sequence more like a pro - shift into left starts just before you are fully to the top, and the wrist flexion happens later...closer to shaft parallel to the ground just before impact??? Am I getting this right?

Sometimes when I am playing and I am thinking about this shift/flexion at the sametime, I am overdoing the flexion and my body turn cannot keep up and sling! Ball goes way left, maybe even a nasty hook.

Yeah I can see why that might be confusing but they are indeed two different things, just might be hard to reconcile that since they dynamically happen very close together. Recentering/weight starting to shift left while hands still are finishing is still technically the backswing. Then the wrist flexion and regaining flexion with the body essentially come immediately after that, likely cant subconsciously/realistically try to add the wrist flexion when shaft is down to P6, by that time the ball is already gone

The AMG guys have lots of good material on the pressure shift left in the backswing

> @CasualLie said:

> So...for those of you that have watched...I am trying to reconcile this concept of the downswing starting with flexion in wrist at the same time as shifting into left side with the idea that shifting into the left side is happening while backswing is not quite 100% complete. The video shows this transition move from the top in slow mo repeatedly. Now is the idea as someone not playing golf for a living and learning fundamentals, just do it the way it says in the video and get to the top correctly first? And some years later, when you might actually be good, you may see in a video that you sequence more like a pro - shift into left starts just before you are fully to the top, and the wrist flexion happens later...closer to shaft parallel to the ground just before impact??? Am I getting this right?

>

> Sometimes when I am playing and I am thinking about this shift/flexion at the sametime, I am overdoing the flexion and my body turn cannot keep up and sling! Ball goes way left, maybe even a nasty hook.

Putting 2-3 new things all in place that happen in about .1 secs is hard. It simply is.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Not trying to do all that in a swing, just looking for the right trigger to start downswing. And getting a sanity check on the discrepancies.

As it is, the biggest benefit I get from Monte's videos are helping to get back to basics when I go astray. My pattern has not changed much for a long time. Play 2-3 times in a week, by the 3rd time of the week play at my best, feel in a rhythm, then travel and step away from golf for 7 - 10 days. Come back to the course, forget what I was doing, try all kinds of triggers to find a rhythm and end up playing like a total hack beginner that struggles to break 90. Then watch Monte's videos, go ah...right...that's what I forgot, go back to the course, play much better, get in a rhythm, then travel again...repeat, repeat, repeat. Madness.

> @CasualLie said:

> So...for those of you that have watched...I am trying to reconcile this concept of the downswing starting with flexion in wrist at the same time as shifting into left side with the idea that shifting into the left side is happening while backswing is not quite 100% complete. The video shows this transition move from the top in slow mo repeatedly. Now is the idea as someone not playing golf for a living and learning fundamentals, just do it the way it says in the video and get to the top correctly first? And some years later, when you might actually be good, you may see in a video that you sequence more like a pro - shift into left starts just before you are fully to the top, and the wrist flexion happens later...closer to shaft parallel to the ground just before impact??? Am I getting this right?

>

> Sometimes when I am playing and I am thinking about this shift/flexion at the sametime, I am overdoing the flexion and my body turn cannot keep up and sling! Ball goes way left, maybe even a nasty hook.

I separate them into sort of a 1-2 trigger. I've drilled the backswing to the point I don't have to think about it. At left arm parallel I trigger the shift, which starts to happen as the club approaches "the top". Once the shift is initiated my last intent is flexion and go, with full attention on start line. The body will rotate hard to offset the "closed" face. If you hit it left, just recognize that you need to turn harder (or more correctly...no sliding and dumping the back shoulder allowed). I trigger the shift at left arm parallel because it shortens what has always been an overly long/arm overrun backswing. I've gained enough yardage this year that my regular playing partners and course pro have noticed and commented on it. My swing fault is not enough flexion when there is trouble left, causing a bailout. I'm almost to the trusting point but, like you said, it feels like left is at risk and if you don't rotate through enough it is a real risk. On days I make myself trust it I play the holes with OB or trouble left just fine. On other days I bail out.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

• 2 weeks later...

Im really starting to have some good success concentrating on the wrist conditions at transition and downswing that are covered in 4-A.

Theres two things that I have success with but cant translate it to the full swing...the arm parallel shot and the shoulder isolation drill. I both of these, at some point, the move promotes me to add and sustain lead wrist flexion. That didnt translate to my full swing for some reason. The wrist conditions talked about in the videos has prompted me to get the wrists right to shallow properly.

> @DFinch said:

> > @CasualLie said:

> > So...for those of you that have watched...I am trying to reconcile this concept of the downswing starting with flexion in wrist at the same time as shifting into left side with the idea that shifting into the left side is happening while backswing is not quite 100% complete. The video shows this transition move from the top in slow mo repeatedly. Now is the idea as someone not playing golf for a living and learning fundamentals, just do it the way it says in the video and get to the top correctly first? And some years later, when you might actually be good, you may see in a video that you sequence more like a pro - shift into left starts just before you are fully to the top, and the wrist flexion happens later...closer to shaft parallel to the ground just before impact??? Am I getting this right?

> >

> > Sometimes when I am playing and I am thinking about this shift/flexion at the sametime, I am overdoing the flexion and my body turn cannot keep up and sling! Ball goes way left, maybe even a nasty hook.

>

> I separate them into sort of a 1-2 trigger. I've drilled the backswing to the point I don't have to think about it. At left arm parallel I trigger the shift, which starts to happen as the club approaches "the top". Once the shift is initiated my last intent is flexion and go, with full attention on start line. The body will rotate hard to offset the "closed" face. If you hit it left, just recognize that you need to turn harder (or more correctly...no sliding and dumping the back shoulder allowed). I trigger the shift at left arm parallel because it shortens what has always been an overly long/arm overrun backswing. I've gained enough yardage this year that my regular playing partners and course pro have noticed and commented on it. My swing fault is not enough flexion when there is trouble left, causing a bailout. I'm almost to the trusting point but, like you said, it feels like left is at risk and if you don't rotate through enough it is a real risk. On days I make myself trust it I play the holes with OB or trouble left just fine. On other days I bail out.

>

Great post...thanks. Lately, I am just focusing on the pressure shift, getting into that turn. Biggest flaw by far is not enough shift left / turn and when everything else is right, the ball goes way left. For the most part I don't have too much issue of flexion, maybe because I have a swing that is relatively flat so I really do not steepen the shaft unless I do something else dumb. A bit more flexion is probably needed as I use a longer club; i.e. Driver/3W/Hybrid can be pushes even though I feel like I turned well.

I like the trigger at left arm parallel going back...I may give that a go.

> @CasualLie said:

> > @DFinch said:

> > > @CasualLie said:

> > > So...for those of you that have watched...I am trying to reconcile this concept of the downswing starting with flexion in wrist at the same time as shifting into left side with the idea that shifting into the left side is happening while backswing is not quite 100% complete. The video shows this transition move from the top in slow mo repeatedly. Now is the idea as someone not playing golf for a living and learning fundamentals, just do it the way it says in the video and get to the top correctly first? And some years later, when you might actually be good, you may see in a video that you sequence more like a pro - shift into left starts just before you are fully to the top, and the wrist flexion happens later...closer to shaft parallel to the ground just before impact??? Am I getting this right?

> > >

> > > Sometimes when I am playing and I am thinking about this shift/flexion at the sametime, I am overdoing the flexion and my body turn cannot keep up and sling! Ball goes way left, maybe even a nasty hook.

> >

> > I separate them into sort of a 1-2 trigger. I've drilled the backswing to the point I don't have to think about it. At left arm parallel I trigger the shift, which starts to happen as the club approaches "the top". Once the shift is initiated my last intent is flexion and go, with full attention on start line. The body will rotate hard to offset the "closed" face. If you hit it left, just recognize that you need to turn harder (or more correctly...no sliding and dumping the back shoulder allowed). I trigger the shift at left arm parallel because it shortens what has always been an overly long/arm overrun backswing. I've gained enough yardage this year that my regular playing partners and course pro have noticed and commented on it. My swing fault is not enough flexion when there is trouble left, causing a bailout. I'm almost to the trusting point but, like you said, it feels like left is at risk and if you don't rotate through enough it is a real risk. On days I make myself trust it I play the holes with OB or trouble left just fine. On other days I bail out.

> >

>

> Great post...thanks. Lately, I am just focusing on the pressure shift, getting into that turn. Biggest flaw by far is not enough shift left / turn and when everything else is right, the ball goes way left. For the most part I don't have too much issue of flexion, maybe because I have a swing that is relatively flat so I really do not steepen the shaft unless I do something else dumb. A bit more flexion is probably needed as I use a longer club; i.e. Driver/3W/Hybrid can be pushes even though I feel like I turned well.

> I like the trigger at left arm parallel going back...I may give that a go.

I'm now convinced that it's almost impossible to have too much flexion. The better you rotate the less likely you are to hit it left. Our club championship was last weekend and I played the first round without consciously adding flexion (wanted to do well and didn't trust it under pressure). Hit the ball all over the place and salvaged an 82 with short game. Hit 3 fairways. With nothing to lose on day 2 I committed to what I had been working on from the series. Maximum flexion, maximum rotation. Shot 74. Only hit one shot left all day...off the first tee...and it wasn't that far left. Only missed 3 fairways. My handicap went from a 6 to a 10 this year while working this series. I had a bunch of 12-14 hole stretches of fantastic shots but then doubles and triples due to lack of commitment to the swing. Next calculation I'll be an 8.0. I've got the trend going back in the right direction and putting up a 74 under pressure and feeling like I had complete ball control was the last piece of the confidence puzzle I needed to transition to the course and competition. Senior Club Championship is this weekend. I'm all in regardless of result.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

> @DFinch said:

> > @CasualLie said:

> > > @DFinch said:

> > > > @CasualLie said:

> > > > So...for those of you that have watched...I am trying to reconcile this concept of the downswing starting with flexion in wrist at the same time as shifting into left side with the idea that shifting into the left side is happening while backswing is not quite 100% complete. The video shows this transition move from the top in slow mo repeatedly. Now is the idea as someone not playing golf for a living and learning fundamentals, just do it the way it says in the video and get to the top correctly first? And some years later, when you might actually be good, you may see in a video that you sequence more like a pro - shift into left starts just before you are fully to the top, and the wrist flexion happens later...closer to shaft parallel to the ground just before impact??? Am I getting this right?

> > > >

> > > > Sometimes when I am playing and I am thinking about this shift/flexion at the sametime, I am overdoing the flexion and my body turn cannot keep up and sling! Ball goes way left, maybe even a nasty hook.

> > >

> > > I separate them into sort of a 1-2 trigger. I've drilled the backswing to the point I don't have to think about it. At left arm parallel I trigger the shift, which starts to happen as the club approaches "the top". Once the shift is initiated my last intent is flexion and go, with full attention on start line. The body will rotate hard to offset the "closed" face. If you hit it left, just recognize that you need to turn harder (or more correctly...no sliding and dumping the back shoulder allowed). I trigger the shift at left arm parallel because it shortens what has always been an overly long/arm overrun backswing. I've gained enough yardage this year that my regular playing partners and course pro have noticed and commented on it. My swing fault is not enough flexion when there is trouble left, causing a bailout. I'm almost to the trusting point but, like you said, it feels like left is at risk and if you don't rotate through enough it is a real risk. On days I make myself trust it I play the holes with OB or trouble left just fine. On other days I bail out.

> > >

> >

> > Great post...thanks. Lately, I am just focusing on the pressure shift, getting into that turn. Biggest flaw by far is not enough shift left / turn and when everything else is right, the ball goes way left. For the most part I don't have too much issue of flexion, maybe because I have a swing that is relatively flat so I really do not steepen the shaft unless I do something else dumb. A bit more flexion is probably needed as I use a longer club; i.e. Driver/3W/Hybrid can be pushes even though I feel like I turned well.

> > I like the trigger at left arm parallel going back...I may give that a go.

>

> I'm now convinced that it's almost impossible to have too much flexion. The better you rotate the less likely you are to hit it left. Our club championship was last weekend and I played the first round without consciously adding flexion (wanted to do well and didn't trust it under pressure). Hit the ball all over the place and salvaged an 82 with short game. Hit 3 fairways. With nothing to lose on day 2 I committed to what I had been working on from the series. Maximum flexion, maximum rotation. Shot 74. Only hit one shot left all day...off the first tee...and it wasn't that far left. Only missed 3 fairways. My handicap went from a 6 to a 10 this year while working this series. I had a bunch of 12-14 hole stretches of fantastic shots but then doubles and triples due to lack of commitment to the swing. Next calculation I'll be an 8.0. I've got the trend going back in the right direction and putting up a 74 under pressure and feeling like I had complete ball control was the last piece of the confidence puzzle I needed to transition to the course and competition. Senior Club Championship is this weekend. I'm all in regardless of result.

>

Good stuff...curious, what were the drills most effective for you to work on better rotation?

> @CasualLie said:

>

First off, I would recommend an in person or online lesson with Monte just to see if you have any major swing issues going on.

This is one of the things Monte had me work on during my most recent lesson. My backswing was pretty heinous, so Monte had me working on the "miss the wall, hit the wall" drill from the video.

Current swing thought:

1. Backswing to the top (don't hit the imaginary wall behind me)

2. Flex lead wrist, be patient in transition (like a roller coaster climbing the apex of a hill)

3. Nuke it (swing through the ball don't hit at it)

I've put in a lot of work recently and it's paid off. Shot personal best 77 and I'm playing the best golf of my life.

• Like 1

> @CasualLie said:

> > @DFinch said:

> > > @CasualLie said:

> > > > @DFinch said:

> > > > > @CasualLie said:

> > > > > So...for those of you that have watched...I am trying to reconcile this concept of the downswing starting with flexion in wrist at the same time as shifting into left side with the idea that shifting into the left side is happening while backswing is not quite 100% complete. The video shows this transition move from the top in slow mo repeatedly. Now is the idea as someone not playing golf for a living and learning fundamentals, just do it the way it says in the video and get to the top correctly first? And some years later, when you might actually be good, you may see in a video that you sequence more like a pro - shift into left starts just before you are fully to the top, and the wrist flexion happens later...closer to shaft parallel to the ground just before impact??? Am I getting this right?

> > > > >

> > > > > Sometimes when I am playing and I am thinking about this shift/flexion at the sametime, I am overdoing the flexion and my body turn cannot keep up and sling! Ball goes way left, maybe even a nasty hook.

> > > >

> > > > I separate them into sort of a 1-2 trigger. I've drilled the backswing to the point I don't have to think about it. At left arm parallel I trigger the shift, which starts to happen as the club approaches "the top". Once the shift is initiated my last intent is flexion and go, with full attention on start line. The body will rotate hard to offset the "closed" face. If you hit it left, just recognize that you need to turn harder (or more correctly...no sliding and dumping the back shoulder allowed). I trigger the shift at left arm parallel because it shortens what has always been an overly long/arm overrun backswing. I've gained enough yardage this year that my regular playing partners and course pro have noticed and commented on it. My swing fault is not enough flexion when there is trouble left, causing a bailout. I'm almost to the trusting point but, like you said, it feels like left is at risk and if you don't rotate through enough it is a real risk. On days I make myself trust it I play the holes with OB or trouble left just fine. On other days I bail out.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Great post...thanks. Lately, I am just focusing on the pressure shift, getting into that turn. Biggest flaw by far is not enough shift left / turn and when everything else is right, the ball goes way left. For the most part I don't have too much issue of flexion, maybe because I have a swing that is relatively flat so I really do not steepen the shaft unless I do something else dumb. A bit more flexion is probably needed as I use a longer club; i.e. Driver/3W/Hybrid can be pushes even though I feel like I turned well.

> > > I like the trigger at left arm parallel going back...I may give that a go.

> >

> > I'm now convinced that it's almost impossible to have too much flexion. The better you rotate the less likely you are to hit it left. Our club championship was last weekend and I played the first round without consciously adding flexion (wanted to do well and didn't trust it under pressure). Hit the ball all over the place and salvaged an 82 with short game. Hit 3 fairways. With nothing to lose on day 2 I committed to what I had been working on from the series. Maximum flexion, maximum rotation. Shot 74. Only hit one shot left all day...off the first tee...and it wasn't that far left. Only missed 3 fairways. My handicap went from a 6 to a 10 this year while working this series. I had a bunch of 12-14 hole stretches of fantastic shots but then doubles and triples due to lack of commitment to the swing. Next calculation I'll be an 8.0. I've got the trend going back in the right direction and putting up a 74 under pressure and feeling like I had complete ball control was the last piece of the confidence puzzle I needed to transition to the course and competition. Senior Club Championship is this weekend. I'm all in regardless of result.

> >

>

> Good stuff...curious, what were the drills most effective for you to work on better rotation?

Mirror/video work to make sure that hip rotation in the back swing does not include sway. I rotate pressure into your back heel while staying centered. To me that feels like my tailbone goes toward the target slightly during the backswing as my hips rotate. I had to drill this at various speeds to adjust to the feel. “Weight shift” produces too much backward lateral and the opposite on downswing, which restricts rotation. Downswing rotation is driven in large part by your sense of the face. Open will stall/flip, closed will force rotation to avoid the left shot. Just have to not fight it and let hips open. I want to feel heavy pressure in my front heel and the sensation of driving the front hip away from the target.

> @DFinch said:

> > @CasualLie said:

> > > @DFinch said:

> > > > @CasualLie said:

> > > > > @DFinch said:

> > > > > > @CasualLie said:

> > > > > > So...for those of you that have watched...I am trying to reconcile this concept of the downswing starting with flexion in wrist at the same time as shifting into left side with the idea that shifting into the left side is happening while backswing is not quite 100% complete. The video shows this transition move from the top in slow mo repeatedly. Now is the idea as someone not playing golf for a living and learning fundamentals, just do it the way it says in the video and get to the top correctly first? And some years later, when you might actually be good, you may see in a video that you sequence more like a pro - shift into left starts just before you are fully to the top, and the wrist flexion happens later...closer to shaft parallel to the ground just before impact??? Am I getting this right?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Sometimes when I am playing and I am thinking about this shift/flexion at the sametime, I am overdoing the flexion and my body turn cannot keep up and sling! Ball goes way left, maybe even a nasty hook.

> > > > >

> > > > > I separate them into sort of a 1-2 trigger. I've drilled the backswing to the point I don't have to think about it. At left arm parallel I trigger the shift, which starts to happen as the club approaches "the top". Once the shift is initiated my last intent is flexion and go, with full attention on start line. The body will rotate hard to offset the "closed" face. If you hit it left, just recognize that you need to turn harder (or more correctly...no sliding and dumping the back shoulder allowed). I trigger the shift at left arm parallel because it shortens what has always been an overly long/arm overrun backswing. I've gained enough yardage this year that my regular playing partners and course pro have noticed and commented on it. My swing fault is not enough flexion when there is trouble left, causing a bailout. I'm almost to the trusting point but, like you said, it feels like left is at risk and if you don't rotate through enough it is a real risk. On days I make myself trust it I play the holes with OB or trouble left just fine. On other days I bail out.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Great post...thanks. Lately, I am just focusing on the pressure shift, getting into that turn. Biggest flaw by far is not enough shift left / turn and when everything else is right, the ball goes way left. For the most part I don't have too much issue of flexion, maybe because I have a swing that is relatively flat so I really do not steepen the shaft unless I do something else dumb. A bit more flexion is probably needed as I use a longer club; i.e. Driver/3W/Hybrid can be pushes even though I feel like I turned well.

> > > > I like the trigger at left arm parallel going back...I may give that a go.

> > >

> > > I'm now convinced that it's almost impossible to have too much flexion. The better you rotate the less likely you are to hit it left. Our club championship was last weekend and I played the first round without consciously adding flexion (wanted to do well and didn't trust it under pressure). Hit the ball all over the place and salvaged an 82 with short game. Hit 3 fairways. With nothing to lose on day 2 I committed to what I had been working on from the series. Maximum flexion, maximum rotation. Shot 74. Only hit one shot left all day...off the first tee...and it wasn't that far left. Only missed 3 fairways. My handicap went from a 6 to a 10 this year while working this series. I had a bunch of 12-14 hole stretches of fantastic shots but then doubles and triples due to lack of commitment to the swing. Next calculation I'll be an 8.0. I've got the trend going back in the right direction and putting up a 74 under pressure and feeling like I had complete ball control was the last piece of the confidence puzzle I needed to transition to the course and competition. Senior Club Championship is this weekend. I'm all in regardless of result.

> > >

> >

> > Good stuff...curious, what were the drills most effective for you to work on better rotation?

>

> I want to feel heavy pressure in my front heel and the sensation of driving the front hip away from the target.

>

>

This...yes, I am trying to achieve the same. I haven't really struggled with a sway before, but Monte did fix awhile ago my setup using the pressure mat which showed I favored right side way too much at address so starting with 75% pressure right then backswing to get that darn near 100...well guess what? No way I can pressure shift left enough. My compensation was to dive my head towards target at transition, as you can imagine it made "timing" a real challenge. But even after correcting setup and being more in balance, that head going forward move is so ingrained, that it is my constant challenge to keep my head steady / minimize movement. I know when head goes forward, rotation is going to stall.

I have 6 rounds in 4 days next week and I think no matter what I just need to focus on one thing, rotate like crazy and where the ball ends up, who cares!

> @CasualLie said:

> > @DFinch said:

> > > @CasualLie said:

> > > > @DFinch said:

> > > > > @CasualLie said:

> > > > > > @DFinch said:

> > > > > > > @CasualLie said:

> > > > > > > So...for those of you that have watched...I am trying to reconcile this concept of the downswing starting with flexion in wrist at the same time as shifting into left side with the idea that shifting into the left side is happening while backswing is not quite 100% complete. The video shows this transition move from the top in slow mo repeatedly. Now is the idea as someone not playing golf for a living and learning fundamentals, just do it the way it says in the video and get to the top correctly first? And some years later, when you might actually be good, you may see in a video that you sequence more like a pro - shift into left starts just before you are fully to the top, and the wrist flexion happens later...closer to shaft parallel to the ground just before impact??? Am I getting this right?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Sometimes when I am playing and I am thinking about this shift/flexion at the sametime, I am overdoing the flexion and my body turn cannot keep up and sling! Ball goes way left, maybe even a nasty hook.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I separate them into sort of a 1-2 trigger. I've drilled the backswing to the point I don't have to think about it. At left arm parallel I trigger the shift, which starts to happen as the club approaches "the top". Once the shift is initiated my last intent is flexion and go, with full attention on start line. The body will rotate hard to offset the "closed" face. If you hit it left, just recognize that you need to turn harder (or more correctly...no sliding and dumping the back shoulder allowed). I trigger the shift at left arm parallel because it shortens what has always been an overly long/arm overrun backswing. I've gained enough yardage this year that my regular playing partners and course pro have noticed and commented on it. My swing fault is not enough flexion when there is trouble left, causing a bailout. I'm almost to the trusting point but, like you said, it feels like left is at risk and if you don't rotate through enough it is a real risk. On days I make myself trust it I play the holes with OB or trouble left just fine. On other days I bail out.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Great post...thanks. Lately, I am just focusing on the pressure shift, getting into that turn. Biggest flaw by far is not enough shift left / turn and when everything else is right, the ball goes way left. For the most part I don't have too much issue of flexion, maybe because I have a swing that is relatively flat so I really do not steepen the shaft unless I do something else dumb. A bit more flexion is probably needed as I use a longer club; i.e. Driver/3W/Hybrid can be pushes even though I feel like I turned well.

> > > > > I like the trigger at left arm parallel going back...I may give that a go.

> > > >

> > > > I'm now convinced that it's almost impossible to have too much flexion. The better you rotate the less likely you are to hit it left. Our club championship was last weekend and I played the first round without consciously adding flexion (wanted to do well and didn't trust it under pressure). Hit the ball all over the place and salvaged an 82 with short game. Hit 3 fairways. With nothing to lose on day 2 I committed to what I had been working on from the series. Maximum flexion, maximum rotation. Shot 74. Only hit one shot left all day...off the first tee...and it wasn't that far left. Only missed 3 fairways. My handicap went from a 6 to a 10 this year while working this series. I had a bunch of 12-14 hole stretches of fantastic shots but then doubles and triples due to lack of commitment to the swing. Next calculation I'll be an 8.0. I've got the trend going back in the right direction and putting up a 74 under pressure and feeling like I had complete ball control was the last piece of the confidence puzzle I needed to transition to the course and competition. Senior Club Championship is this weekend. I'm all in regardless of result.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Good stuff...curious, what were the drills most effective for you to work on better rotation?

> >

> > I want to feel heavy pressure in my front heel and the sensation of driving the front hip away from the target.

> >

> >

>

> This...yes, I am trying to achieve the same. I haven't really struggled with a sway before, but Monte did fix awhile ago my setup using the pressure mat which showed I favored right side way too much at address so starting with 75% pressure right then backswing to get that darn near 100...well guess what? No way I can pressure shift left enough. My compensation was to dive my head towards target at transition, as you can imagine it made "timing" a real challenge. But even after correcting setup and being more in balance, that head going forward move is so ingrained, that it is my constant challenge to keep my head steady / minimize movement. I know when head goes forward, rotation is going to stall.

>

> I have 6 rounds in 4 days next week and I think no matter what I just need to focus on one thing, rotate like crazy and where the ball ends up, who cares!

In 2015 Monte spent 90% of the time with me on head moving forward (the rest was on too long of a backswing). Head moving was entirely caused by shifting weight instead of coiling into pressure and trying to drive to catch the club up from an overrun/stuck position. Trying to maintain tilt shifted everything to the right, which then drove left. Now I turn my hips underneath me, which feels forward, and it feels like my head shifts backward on the downswing but it is actually staying centered/staying behind. Took a TON of effort.

I highly recommend the purchase - every drill may not be applicable, but there will be 1 or 2 that really click and make the price worth it!

Last year Monte quickly viewed one of my swing videos I posted here and told me that my elbows were spreading way too far apart on the backswing. I bought the tour striker smart ball to practice. I put in a lot of range time with it, and my strikes really improved while using the training aid.

However, because golf is awesome, the smart ball practice was not translating to the course. I still had awful things happening in my swing. But that is because I was missing a key element of the "elbows closer in the backswing"....the fact that they need to feel like they get closer in the downswing as well.

The Efficient Swing has a 4+ minute section about the elbows together drill, and man oh man, I have never hit such piercing iron shots in my life, on the course. My feel is elbows close on the backswing, getting as deep as possible with the arms, and then on the downswing, feeling like I pinch the elbows even closer.

> @CasualLie said:

> Not trying to do all that in a swing, just looking for the right trigger to start downswing. And getting a sanity check on the discrepancies.

> As it is, the biggest benefit I get from Monte's videos are helping to get back to basics when I go astray. My pattern has not changed much for a long time. Play 2-3 times in a week, by the 3rd time of the week play at my best, feel in a rhythm, then travel and step away from golf for 7 - 10 days. Come back to the course, forget what I was doing, try all kinds of triggers to find a rhythm and end up playing like a total hack beginner that struggles to break 90. Then watch Monte's videos, go ah...right...that's what I forgot, go back to the course, play much better, get in a rhythm, then travel again...repeat, repeat, repeat. Madness.

You pretty much just described the definition of insanity. Gotta change something up and quick! Ha

One side note/effect. I have had take away issues for some time that then turn into bigger issues. I do the take away drills at 1/4-1/2 speed basically, but on the chipping green. Byproduct is my chipping is 10 times better now, did not realize how a little hitch early can cascade so easily to all aspects of the game

> @musclefront said:

> > @CasualLie said:

> > Not trying to do all that in a swing, just looking for the right trigger to start downswing. And getting a sanity check on the discrepancies.

> > As it is, the biggest benefit I get from Monte's videos are helping to get back to basics when I go astray. My pattern has not changed much for a long time. Play 2-3 times in a week, by the 3rd time of the week play at my best, feel in a rhythm, then travel and step away from golf for 7 - 10 days. Come back to the course, forget what I was doing, try all kinds of triggers to find a rhythm and end up playing like a total hack beginner that struggles to break 90. Then watch Monte's videos, go ah...right...that's what I forgot, go back to the course, play much better, get in a rhythm, then travel again...repeat, repeat, repeat. Madness.

>

> You pretty much just described the definition of insanity. Gotta change something up and quick! Ha

No kidding! Honestly, I am the closest I have ever been to quitting. It's just not fun anymore. It is hard for me to reconcile that years ago with clubs that are much less forgiving I could break 80 regularly, an index down to 5, and now in tournaments playing closer tees, with so much more "knowledge" and dialed in equipment, and my scores are horrid. Years of playing matches/skins and other junk games have totally ruined my ability to put together an 18 hole tournament.

Thanks to Monte I am hitting the ball better than ever...when I hit it because thanks to the 8 inches between the ears I am scoring worse than ever...

This series continue to help me on a lot of levels. Doing something or anything wrong, go back to basics from club parallel on the back swing to arm parallel etc. etc.

One thing to note, SETUP / POSTURE isn't covered in this series but, I do believe @MonteScheinblum is working on this I think. I have been continuously shuffling my posture and it is getting better and better.