2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Remembering All Your Shots for 18 Holes (Even Yardage)

msg

I used to use Game Golf but I found that it was too much work so I stopped using it for quite some time now.

Last week I played a mini tournament and I was talking to my buddy about what went right and what went wrong. The winner shot 3 over par and I shot 7 over par and that it was such a shame because I made quite a few unforced errors like three putting once or missing the green twice from 120 yards. I could have tied or even won that tournament. He asked me if I was still using Game Golf because he said that I remember all the shots including the yardage of each of my shots for 18 holes. I was just using a range finger though. I remember all my shots in great detail like where they ended up, what kind of ball flight, or even how they felt or what I felt when hitting the shot.

There it struck me that I usually have a bad memory but I can recall all my shots and how far they were that I was manually able to recreate my round on my Game Golf account. Are there other people here that are like that that they remember all the shots they hit after a round or after an important game in great detail?

I usually get mad or upset and have a hard time moving on with bad shots but I was able to fix that and I just use my memory to make up for the errors next time. Is this normal or am I obsessed with this game too much? :#

Now that I think about it, I even remember all my putts and the estimated distance from the flag.

> @msg said:

> I used to use Game Golf but I found that it was too much work so I stopped using it for quite some time now.

>

> Last week I played a mini tournament and I was talking to my buddy about what went right and what went wrong. The winner shot 3 over par and I shot 7 over par and that it was such a shame because I made quite a few unforced errors like three putting once or missing the green twice from 120 yards. I could have tied or even won that tournament. He asked me if I was still using Game Golf because he said that I remember all the shots including the yardage of each of my shots for 18 holes. I was just using a range finger though. I remember all my shots in great detail like where they ended up, what kind of ball flight, or even how they felt or what I felt when hitting the shot.

>

> There it struck me that I usually have a bad memory but I can recall all my shots and how far they were that I was manually able to recreate my round on my Game Golf account. Are there other people here that are like that that they remember all the shots they hit after a round or after an important game in great detail?

>

> I usually get mad or upset and have a hard time moving on with bad shots but I was able to fix that and I just use my memory to make up for the errors next time. Is this normal or am I obsessed with this game too much? :#

>

> Now that I think about it, I even remember all my putts and the estimated distance from the flag.

Yep, same for me. I'd probably be much better off if I could forget the details of each shot once it has been played. But I can't or at least I don't seem to.

For all I know, my memory of a given round may contain quite a few mistakes. Maybe that 122 with a 9-iron was on the 2nd hole instead of the 4th and the 2nd was the one where I had 119 with a 9-iron. Or maybe that putt that I figured was about 30 feet was actually closer to 40. But I've recorded Game Golf or Arccos rounds, gone home and written down each shot, then checked it as I was post-round editing and I always seem within a few yards of the Game Gold recording.

• Like 1

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @msg said:

> > I used to use Game Golf but I found that it was too much work so I stopped using it for quite some time now.

> >

> > Last week I played a mini tournament and I was talking to my buddy about what went right and what went wrong. The winner shot 3 over par and I shot 7 over par and that it was such a shame because I made quite a few unforced errors like three putting once or missing the green twice from 120 yards. I could have tied or even won that tournament. He asked me if I was still using Game Golf because he said that I remember all the shots including the yardage of each of my shots for 18 holes. I was just using a range finger though. I remember all my shots in great detail like where they ended up, what kind of ball flight, or even how they felt or what I felt when hitting the shot.

> >

> > There it struck me that I usually have a bad memory but I can recall all my shots and how far they were that I was manually able to recreate my round on my Game Golf account. Are there other people here that are like that that they remember all the shots they hit after a round or after an important game in great detail?

> >

> > I usually get mad or upset and have a hard time moving on with bad shots but I was able to fix that and I just use my memory to make up for the errors next time. Is this normal or am I obsessed with this game too much? :#

> >

> > Now that I think about it, I even remember all my putts and the estimated distance from the flag.

>

> Yep, same for me. I'd probably be much better off if I could forget the details of each shot once it has been played. But I can't or at least I don't seem to.

>

> For all I know, my memory of a given round may contain quite a few mistakes. Maybe that 122 with a 9-iron was on the 2nd hole instead of the 4th and the 2nd was the one where I had 119 with a 9-iron. Or maybe that putt that I figured was about 30 feet was actually closer to 40. But I've recorded Game Golf or Arccos rounds, gone home and written down each shot, then checked it as I was post-round editing and I always seem within a few yards of the Game Gold recording.

I have done a great job, in the last year or two, in clearing my mind in "forgetting" the bad shots while playing or before hitting the next shot. It used to bother me so much that it ruined my rounds. I don't get affected as much as before when I make mistakes. It was difficult at first but I got used to it and it made golf more fun.

I think this way of mindset helped me a lot in improving my games lately. But it's nice to hear that I am not alone in remembering the shots in great detail even after the game. It's more of like playback on demand now rather than something that keeps on playing over and over because of anger. lol

I'm not bothered as much by reliving the "Oh The Humanity!" shots later in the round. I'm more prone to silly stuff like "I've missed four fairways already, I need to hit at least eight of the last ten" or maybe "I'm going to end up with 40 putts if this keeps up". Analysis after the round is one thing, treating those numbers as targets during the round will drive you batty!

> @"North Butte" said:

> I'm not bothered as much by reliving the "Oh The Humanity!" shots later in the round. I'm more prone to silly stuff like "I've missed four fairways already, I need to hit at least eight of the last ten" or maybe "I'm going to end up with 40 putts if this keeps up". Analysis after the round is one thing, treating those numbers as targets during the round will drive you batty!

Reading what you posted, sounded like my old self. Crazy when I think back about it.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Not only do I remember my shots for every round, I remember the shots of the guys I played with as well. Can't tell you what was for dinner last night though.

'Might have something to do with the bottle of wine consumed with the dinner.... :)

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Not only do I remember my shots for every round, I remember the shots of the guys I played with as well. Can't tell you what was for dinner last night though.

I have a friend I haven't seen in a few years. He's like that. Some sort of golf-memory savant (but no idiot, he's one of the smartest people I know). We'll be reminiscing about some course we played together a couple years ago and I say something about that Par 4 where Dave made birdie out of a fairway bunker to beat my fairway-green-two-putt par. My friend will correct me and say, "That hole was actually a Par 5 and it was Gary and not Dave. But the fairway bunker shot was 190 yards, great shot". I don't argue with him because I'm pretty sure he actually remembers those shots.

My wife gets mad at me and often says "how come you can recount every single shot you've taken in a golf round, but can't remember what I asked you to do 5 minutes ago?"

• Like 2

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > Not only do I remember my shots for every round, I remember the shots of the guys I played with as well. Can't tell you what was for dinner last night though.

>

> 'Might have something to do with the bottle of wine consumed with the dinner.... :)

Yeah the 2 after dinner are OK it's the one with dinner that does it.

> @DavePelz4 said:

Oh this is another level.

I have a buddy who knows all our scores as we play that no one dares to cheat. Not that we cheat. But after the game he cannot remember anymore.

Your case is something else!

> @"North Butte" said:

> My head is so far up my own...err, game when I'm playing I can't help but remember all my yardages and clubs but darned if I can keep up with whether my partner made birdie or par on the hole we just finished. I'm such a solipsist.

Haha yeah sometimes some of my buddies tell me that I don't give an f about them, most of the time. I've changed and at least try my best to spot their tee shots and where they end up. It's like being physically there but mentally I am somewhere else.

I'm getting way too "deep" in this discussion but I've actually been doing a bit of soul-searching lately about just what it is that I get out of golf (vs. what golf takes out of me, you might say). And I'm going to try turning over a new leaf.

I've returned my Arccos unit for a refund (30-day trial deal) and have given away my Game Golf unit. I also let my subscription lapse on the Golfmetrics app that's been my go-to for several years for stats about my game. And finally I am taking a break from my normal 3x or even 4x a week play to try and regroup. Probably give the rest of July a miss and try for a fresh attitude come August.

All the analytics in the world tell me pretty much what I would know anyway about my game. I almost equally stink at every element except putting. At putting I am a bit better than most 17-hcp amateurs but it's still very streaky at best. And my best rounds tend to come when I keep the ball between the tree line consistently throughout the round. Gee, how many devices and apps did it take to tell me that?

> @msg said:

> Haha yeah sometimes some of my buddies tell me that I don't give an f about them, most of the time. I've changed and at least try my best to spot their tee shots and where they end up. It's like being physically there but mentally I am somewhere else.

But this comments gets to the crux of the matter. A lot of my golf is played with a rotating cast of other members at my club. Most of them play in the daily open games, a few play other times. But I like almost every one of these guys, I enjoy playing with them more than playing solo and yet I seem dead set on living the entire experience right inside my own head.

So I want to reinvent myself as a golfer who is into the entire game, not just how many chip shots did I duff and how many stupid double bogeys did I make. Years ago I could keep score for a whole foursome in my head without even trying. And keep separate side conversations going with each of the different guys in the group from hole to hole. Or talk about football while pausing to hit shots (some good, some awful, mostly mediocre) in between.

My wife told me recently that she didn't know where I went wrong somewhere along the way but my "standards" for playing golf seem to have gotten ridiculously high and I almost never come home and say, "It was a good day, my team did OK even though I didn't play well". Nowadays it's more like, "It wasn't any fun, I lost two balls in the first four holes and even making two birdies I shot 89. Oh yeah, and our team won some money".

Keeping track of the last round you played is pretty easy. When I start to get foggy is when I'm thinking 2 or 3 rounds back. I record my scores on a spreadsheet (usually on Monday morning). Weekends in which I played multiple times often leave me scratching my head about a particular hole.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @"North Butte" said:

> I'm getting way too "deep" in this discussion but I've actually been doing a bit of soul-searching lately about just what it is that I get out of golf (vs. what golf takes out of me, you might say). And I'm going to try turning over a new leaf.

>

> I've returned my Arccos unit for a refund (30-day trial deal) and have given away my Game Golf unit. I also let my subscription lapse on the Golfmetrics app that's been my go-to for several years for stats about my game. And finally I am taking a break from my normal 3x or even 4x a week play to try and regroup. Probably give the rest of July a miss and try for a fresh attitude come August.

>

> All the analytics in the world tell me pretty much what I would know anyway about my game. I almost equally stink at every element except putting. At putting I am a bit better than most 17-hcp amateurs but it's still very streaky at best. And my best rounds tend to come when I keep the ball between the tree line consistently throughout the round. Gee, how many devices and apps did it take to tell me that?

>

> > @msg said:

> > Haha yeah sometimes some of my buddies tell me that I don't give an f about them, most of the time. I've changed and at least try my best to spot their tee shots and where they end up. It's like being physically there but mentally I am somewhere else.

>

> But this comments gets to the crux of the matter. A lot of my golf is played with a rotating cast of other members at my club. Most of them play in the daily open games, a few play other times. But I like almost every one of these guys, I enjoy playing with them more than playing solo and yet I seem dead set on living the entire experience right inside my own head.

>

> So I want to reinvent myself as a golfer who is into the entire game, not just how many chip shots did I duff and how many stupid double bogeys did I make. Years ago I could keep score for a whole foursome in my head without even trying. And keep separate side conversations going with each of the different guys in the group from hole to hole. Or talk about football while pausing to hit shots (some good, some awful, mostly mediocre) in between.

>

> My wife told me recently that she didn't know where I went wrong somewhere along the way but my "standards" for playing golf seem to have gotten ridiculously high and I almost never come home and say, "It was a good day, my team did OK even though I didn't play well". Nowadays it's more like, "It wasn't any fun, I lost two balls in the first four holes and even making two birdies I shot 89. Oh yeah, and our team won some money".

Golf can easily turn into that.

I went through a tough time in my late-20s when I plateaued. I spent the first 5-years (my early 20’s) making lots of progress and discovering tons of things for the first time. It was when I leveled off that I started getting frustrated. I think I had elevated expectations, too. That's almost always a part of people getting angry.

That also coincided with a year-and-a-half stint in a new town, with a new job with few friends around. I was playing on my own and getting very frustrated virtually every time I went out. Like you, I wondered why I was even doing it. At several points, I begged for the strength to simply quit and walk away.

I’m in a better place now so I can only offer my own perspective on what changed for me but I think staying positive is a mix of all things you’d expect to hear:

Scoring reasonably well.

Swinging reasonably well.

Having a regular (weekly) group you can rely on.

Liking the people with which you play.

Not being overly obsessed with equipment.

Not over-spending in general.

Not over-practicing.

Accepting imperfections.

Looking around at just how bad most people actual are in comparison (LOL)

It’s all that mixed in with a little bit of plain old choosing to be a more cheerful person. Golf can quickly turn a nice guy into a frustrated, cynical, cursing rage-monster. There’s definitely part of getting past that which does require you simply control yourself a bit better.

If those things aren't the cure, you might re-evaluate whether something else is really on your mind besides golf. That could also be the case.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I could tell you what I hit on the 9th hole into the green on a round of golf I played 10 years ago. Clearing the mind isn’t something I excel at, but if anyone needs a Caddie let me know because I’m a walking super computer and I’m great at telling jokes.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I'll jot down a few notes after a round, mainly as reminders of things that went astray during the round so that I can spend a bit of practice time trying to "clean them up". This helps identify repeating technical issues vs. bad judgement/strategy vs. loss of concentration/brain farts etc. I guess I'm lucky in that I don't feel the need to go any deeper than that most days.

I often go through my round, shot by shot, if I’m having a hard time sleeping that night. Not sure if that helps, but it’s better than thinking about work problems. And although I don’t normally remember specific shots from more than a few months back, there’s one shot that is forever forged in my brain: my only round at Pebble Beach over 30 years ago, hole #8, 4 iron sailing over the huge chasm onto the green in the afternoon light. Lands on the green but runs into the back rough. Even though I made bogey, I’ll never forget the feeling of hitting that 4 iron.

Callaway Epic Flash Driver & 3 Wood with Mitsubishi shafts

Callaway 3 Hybrid & 5 Hybrid

Epon AF 305 5 iron - Lob Wedge with Mitsubishi Shafts

Odyssey Tank Versa #7 Putter

Bridgestone Tour B RXS ball

One guy I know says he replays all the good shots in his mind the evening after a round but never, ever tries to recall the bad ones. He's a big believer in the power of positive imagery. He wants a very detailed picture of the ball flight in mind before every shot. And he "rehearses" the good ones both before and after rounds.

I've often wondered if that's a mental discipline I could ever develop in myself. I was explaining some of my "analytics" of my own game to him and he was rather dismissive of any effort spent counting bad things. He said, "Why do you spend so much time counting up MISSED fairways and MISSED greens and WASTED shots and THREE-PUTTS?". And it's true, keeping stats can easily turn into mostly counting how often bad things that happen.

Maybe as I go forward I ought to adopt his outlook. Think about and analyze what goes into my good shots and try to do those things more often. Hmmm, that idea never really sank in for me until this moment.

> @"North Butte" said:

> One guy I know says he replays all the good shots in his mind the evening after a round but never, ever tries to recall the bad ones. He's a big believer in the power of positive imagery. He wants a very detailed picture of the ball flight in mind before every shot. And he "rehearses" the good ones both before and after rounds.

>

> I've often wondered if that's a mental discipline I could ever develop in myself. I was explaining some of my "analytics" of my own game to him and he was rather dismissive of any effort spent counting bad things. He said, "Why do you spend so much time counting up MISSED fairways and MISSED greens and WASTED shots and THREE-PUTTS?". And it's true, keeping stats can easily turn into mostly counting how often bad things that happen.

>

> Maybe as I go forward I ought to adopt his outlook. Think about and analyze what goes into my good shots and try to do those things more often. Hmmm, that idea never really sank in for me until this moment.

This would be a good experiment. Instead of using our memory to remember everything, especially the bad ones, filtering the good ones might be for the best.

And yeah, the stat tracking thing, I used to do that a lot as well but I have mellowed down and I think it's helping me. Too much going on inside my head while playing and after playing. Earlier this year my scrambling fell to a very embarrassing 9%. I kept on telling myself to not think about it and just try my best. Well, it came back a month ago and it's back to where it was.

> @Roody said:

> My wife gets mad at me and often says "how come you can recount every single shot you've taken in a golf round, but can't remember what I asked you to do 5 minutes ago?"

THIS, very much so.

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

> @GolfChannel said:

> I could tell you what I hit on the 9th hole into the green on a round of golf I played 10 years ago. Clearing the mind isn’t something I excel at, but if anyone needs a Caddie let me know because I’m a walking super computer and I’m great at telling jokes.

If you are not kidding, then this is really amazing. I remember some shots 20 years ago but just some highlights.

• Like 1

> @msg said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > I could tell you what I hit on the 9th hole into the green on a round of golf I played 10 years ago. Clearing the mind isn’t something I excel at, but if anyone needs a Caddie let me know because I’m a walking super computer and I’m great at telling jokes.

>

> If you are not kidding, then this is really amazing. I remember some shots 20 years ago but just some highlights.

I couldn’t remember your first name, but I will remember every shot we played together. I wish my muscle memory was as good as my memory.

After the round we just played I can give you every shot and yardages and club hit and even breaks on my putts. 2 rounds back ... no, I generally flush that

I have one buddy that can do this for all four guys in our group, insane. I don't care enough or pay attention enough

I do have an incredible memory bank full of shots & scores & results + holes and courses from years ago ... up to 35 years in some cases

Important rounds? I can tell you probably half the holes shot by shot from the closing round of a university golf event win from 1992.

Oddball happenings ... like -4 on the par 3's, or minus 5 on the four par 5's, or 6 birdies on the front .. can also recall going back years

I'm a bit of a memory and math savant, especially since I don't drink anymore

Just don't ask me for a new guys name halfway down the first fairway. I ask ... but have learned I don't listen to the answer

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @msg said:

> It's amazing what you guys posted. At least I know now I am not crazy.

>

> I also cannot remember the new people I play with or get paired with. What I do is I write their names down right away on my score card.

I typically learn my students by their gate before I know them by their name. I could know who a student is from far away by the way they walk before I memorize their name. Again, memory is a funny thing.

For "significant" rounds i remember every single shot and yardage even from 10+ years ago. I can tell you shot for shot , every single stroke from my first interclub round, my first club championship round, my first sub-par tournament round etc, my first time breaking 70 etc, the time i shot even par in the snow on a 7100yd course.

I have a weird memory though. I'm somewhat known for it. I remember posts people have made here from 7 years ago....that type of stuff

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique