Oak Brook Illinois in October

NJgolfer11

Good Afternoon,

I will be traveling to Oak Brook in mid-October for a wedding. I am looking to golf on a Saturday.

I am trying to see if I can get on a private course. Naperville and/or LaGrange could be an option. Any insight on these two?

Also, if I can not get on a private course, what are public options that you recommend?

Thank you!

Can't help with the private. If you're a member of a high-end private, Butler National would be the course to try. There's also Chicago Highlands. Good luck.

As for public, Oakbrook GC is the local muni. Decent, but nothing to write home about. Will you have a car? There are a number of better options within 15 miles.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Oddly I know of more people that have played Chicago Highlands or Butler than LaGrange. Unfortunately all secondhand otherwise I'd steal those connections for myself. :) No harm in trying to work connections now, but October can be kind of a cr.ap show for golf. Sometimes gorgeous, sometimes cold and rainy, and darkness sets in pretty early so golf can be tricky. Oak Brook GC was my high school course so I'm always fond of it, but it might not be your type of course if you don't like multiple 90* doglegs around water. Oak Brook Hills is probably better for the proximity, but it's more money I believe and nothing all that special either. Whatever you do, ignore the fact that Fresh Meadows is nearby.

About 20 minutes down the road from Oak Brook is Cantigny in Wheaton. It's one of the finest public courses in the area and regularly holds top level AM events in the state. Depending on the day of the week you're playing, you might be able to have a caddie and walk a course that will be one you'll remember for a while.

And then head over to Wildfire in the Oak Brook mall or GIbson's across from the mall. Get yourself a big old hunk of beef and great bottle of wine.

Calling LD... He was a caddie back in the day at LaGrange.

If you have the connections, Butler is the play. If not, try Chicago Highlands or Butterfield. Both are better private options than LaGrange or Naperville.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo Belly No Belly

I’ve played LaGrange, Chicago Highlands, and Butterfield. LaGrange is the most boring of the three and it’s not even close. Very rare is the country club where people can see all the way across with not a hill in sight. LGCC is among those rare courses. Okay, now that my caddy-induced hate is out of the way, it’s a very tight, tree lined parkland course that was designed by William Langford and Tom Bendelow and updated by Bob Lohmann. The layout is a little different than some, as it has three par 3’s, three 4’s and three 5’s on the front but only one 5 on the back (number 10 is a 510-ish par 5 that could easily be a long 4) and plays to a par 71. As a result, the front is over 3500 yards while the back is under 3300. I’ll give the course this; there’s plenty of variety distance-wise and the bunkers are well-positioned to absorb even slightly wayward tee shots. There’s a nice mix of getable holes (1, 9, 10, 12, and 13-17) and holes with some teeth (2, 3, 5-8, 11 and 18) and the closer is sufficiently challenging without being overly penal. I’ve seen some truly horrid golf at that place so from one guest to another prospective guest, it’s always fun to drop a low number there. I played it a few years ago with Bear as a guest of a member, proceeded to roll in a bunch of birdies in route to what I felt as a ho-hum mid-70’s round, and have not been invited back since.

There are solid but not spectacular public options in the area. Arrowhead and Village Links of Glen Ellyn are both decent. The greens at Village Links are objectively mediocre though. Cog 4 is excellent and has the best rep of the courses in the area and, as DP4 said, Cantigny is very good. Mistwood in Romeoville is a bit of a drive but I think it’s worth it. I’m told The Preserve at Oak Meadows has a great layout but I have yet to play it. The land it’s on floods out a lot.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @ldchristopher said:

> I’ve played LaGrange, Chicago Highlands, and Butterfield. LaGrange is the most boring of the three and it’s not even close. Very rare is the country club where people can see all the way across with not a hill in sight. LGCC is among those rare courses. Okay, now that my caddy-induced hate is out of the way, it’s a very tight, tree lined parkland course that was designed by William Langford and Tom Bendelow and updated by Bob Lohmann. The layout is a little different than some, as it has three par 3’s, three 4’s and three 5’s on the front but only one 5 on the back (number 10 is a 510-ish par 5 that could easily be a long 4) and plays to a par 71. As a result, the front is over 3500 yards while the back is under 3300. I’ll give the course this; there’s plenty of variety distance-wise and the bunkers are well-positioned to absorb even slightly wayward tee shots. There’s a nice mix of getable holes (1, 9, 10, 12, and 13-17) and holes with some teeth (2, 3, 5-8, 11 and 18) and the closer is sufficiently challenging without being overly penal. I’ve seen some truly horrid golf at that place so from one guest to another prospective guest, it’s always fun to drop a low number there. I played it a few years ago with Bear as a guest of a member, proceeded to roll in a bunch of birdies in route to what I felt as a ho-hum mid-70’s round, and have not been invited back since.

>

> There are solid but not spectacular public options in the area. Arrowhead and Village Links of Glen Ellyn are both decent. The greens at Village Links are objectively mediocre though. Cog 4 is excellent and has the best rep of the courses in the area and, as DP4 said, Cantigny is very good. Mistwood in Romeoville is a bit of a drive but I think it’s worth it. I’m told The Preserve at Oak Meadows has a great layout but I have yet to play it. The land it’s on floods out a lot.

You Sir play as much if not more golf than anyone in the Chicago threads. How have you skipped over The Preserve?

> @ldchristopher said:

I played it a few years ago with Bear as a guest of a member, proceeded to roll in a bunch of birdies in route to what I felt as a ho-hum mid-70’s round, and have not been invited back since.

There's another member here that has done the exact same thing from what I remember, right down to the ho hum.

> @NJgolfer11 said:

> Thank you all for the insight. No go for Butler National.

> I reached out to Chicago Highlands and well see what they say.

> Also reached out to Hinsdale, Aurora, amongst others. If no luck, I will look into one of the public options.

You might try Medinah...they're pretty good with reciprocals.

I've also skipped on The Preserve. No tee times for singles. Constantly flooding, or reports of poor conditions. Bah.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

you can play naperville cc using boxgroove dot com

Not cheap but accessible

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

After some spotty moments last year, the Preserve is in excellent shape. Of all the courses I have played, it honestly may be one of the best layouts in the Chicagoland area, with the exception of a hole or two. The entire back 9 is just awesome and the amount of risk/reward on the course is hard to come by anywhere. They also built a bar/snack shop in the middle of the course this year, very very unique.

> You Sir play as much if not more golf than anyone in the Chicago threads. How have you skipped over The Preserve?

The Preserve is priced like an elite course but, simply based on the land it’s on, I don’t think it will ever match up to the nearby courses (Arrowhead and Village Links) it bases its price point on. That land floods out a TON and it’s not just water coming out of Salt Creek, if you get what I’m suggesting. Poop; I’m talking about poop.

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @ldchristopher said:

>

> > You Sir play as much if not more golf than anyone in the Chicago threads. How have you skipped over The Preserve?

>

> The Preserve is priced like an elite course but, simply based on the land it’s on, I don’t think it will ever match up to the nearby courses (Arrowhead and Village Links) it bases its price point on. That land floods out a TON and it’s not just water coming out of Salt Creek, if you get what I’m suggesting. ****; I’m talking about ****.

I prefer the Preserve’s layout and routing over Arrowhead or VL. The conditioning at Preserve is worse, especially compared to early or late season Arrowhead. I’m hopeful that changes with time, though. Long way of saying, I think the price point is fair. It’s still less than $50 to walk during the week.

I also think I may be in the minority because most people seem to like VL more than I do.

> @NJgolfer11 said:

> Also reached out to Hinsdale, Aurora, amongst others. If no luck, I will look into one of the public options.

Almost every public option listed here would be more with your time than Hinsdale and Aurora.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @NJgolfer11 said:

If you can get on Chicago Highlands, it’s a very interesting course. It’s built on a garbage dump that is owned by the Archdiocese of Chicago and is leased to the club on a 99 year lease. Since opening in 2010, the person in charge of the club - a guy named John Baxter who is, to put it mildly, a true piece of work - has been bringing in construction debris to build up the area around the course and isolate it. Despite the fact that it runs along the toll road, it’s been effective. There are spots that look above Butler National, which I always assumed was done on purpose.

The course was designed by Arthur Hills and, true to form, it has a combination of beastly par 4’s and short 4’s. The course highlights, in my opinion, are 4, 7, 9, 13, 14 and 15. The 4th hole feels like a bowling alley, with mounds built up on both sides and a huge, insanely long green at the end. Depending on the pin placement, it can play 240 yards or it can play 170 yards. The 7th is a long par 5 with a split fairway that offers risk vs. reward depending on the path you take. The 13th hole was featured in Golf Digest the year it opened and literally has a hidden green (I’ve had tee shots leave ball marks within a few inches of the cup yet be off the green) and the 9th hole is modeled after Mt. Vesuvius. The 9th green is something like 8 stories up and offers a view of the Chicago skyline if the skies are clear. 14 is a driveable par 4 that has a backstop on the green if the pin is up front and has a marsh from tee to green if you decide to hit driver while 15 is a beastly 500+ yard par 4 that has a bunker right in the middle of the fairway. I’ve birdied that hole and I’ve triple bogied it. The last time I played Highlands the greens were insanely quick (as in, stimping at a 13 or 14) but supposedly they’ve slowed them a bit to more standard country club speeds.

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @MountainKing said:

> > @NJgolfer11 said:

> > Thank you all for the insight. No go for Butler National.

> > I reached out to Chicago Highlands and well see what they say.

> > Also reached out to Hinsdale, Aurora, amongst others. If no luck, I will look into one of the public options.

>

> Almost every public option listed here would be more with your time than Hinsdale and Aurora.

Are they better options as far as course layout and conditions?

> @MountainKing said:

> > @NJgolfer11 said:

> > Thank you all for the insight. No go for Butler National.

> > I reached out to Chicago Highlands and well see what they say.

> > Also reached out to Hinsdale, Aurora, amongst others. If no luck, I will look into one of the public options.

>

> Almost every public option listed here would be more with your time than Hinsdale and Aurora.

Former Aurora CC member, here, and I will respectfully take exception with this. ACC is always in exceptional condition with some of the best (firm and fast) greens I have ever putted. Aurora features really nice flowing topography and, architecturally, and condition wise, it is far superior to Arrowhead, the Preserve, or The Village Links. As nice as Cantigny is, I would much prefer to play Aurora.

It is not Butler National, or Butterfield, but it is an excellent course with a very nice architecture pedigree.

If you can swing Chicago Highlands, do it. Also, Highlands in October means, no leaves on the course. No other course in the area will be in better condition.

OT, when The Preserve was being redone, I thought a lot of emphasis was put on the engineering and flood avoidance aspect of the project. The feedback I have been hearing leads me to believe that those efforts have largely been a failure. That's a major disappointment, if true.

> @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> If you can swing Chicago Highlands, do it. Also, Highlands in October means, no leaves on the course. No other course in the area will be in better condition.

>

> OT, when The Preserve was being redone, I thought a lot of emphasis was put on the engineering and flood avoidance aspect of the project. The feedback I have been hearing leads me to believe that those efforts have largely been a failure. That's a major disappointment, if true.

I believe the renovation at The Preserve was primarily focused on protecting the greens during heavy rains, and not the fairways. With trillions of gallons of rain falling in the area this spring, the water has to go somewhere.

> @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> If you can swing Chicago Highlands, do it. Also, Highlands in October means, no leaves on the course. No other course in the area will be in better condition.

>

> OT, when The Preserve was being redone, I thought a lot of emphasis was put on the engineering and flood avoidance aspect of the project. The feedback I have been hearing leads me to believe that those efforts have largely been a failure. That's a major disappointment, if true.

In theory, the redesign expanded the wetlands by something like 35 acres, they restored another 15 acres and put the holes on higher pieces of the land of the former 18 holes of Oak Meadows and the 9 hole course of Maple Meadows. With how they rerouted Salt Creek, the property was supposed to be able to handle 20,000,000 additional gallons of water for the course and the towns downstream on Salt Creek. Not sure they could predict some of the massive downpours we've had over the last couple of years. There have been more lost days of golf this year due to storms than I can ever remember. Nearly everywhere we play I ask how's biz compared to last year and nearly every course says they're down 30-50%.

Good summary, DP4.

They used cut and fill to raise the playing surfaces and that was part of how they increased the stormwater storage capacity on the property.

The renovation at Oak Meadows was to add wetlands and increase the level of the playing surfaces to reduce the impact of flooding on course operation.

The fairways flood at higher water levels than before, and the water recedes faster.

WIth the precipitation of this spring and last summer, salt creek hit 13.0 ft multiple times, which is historically a very high number.

The old course would be closed at 10 ft salt creek level, and the problem there was the fairways would be under water for a long time, and the accumulated silt would kill the grass.

There is a marked improvement in flood control and course resistance to flooding.

They only could do so much and 20 million gallons isn't the end all, be all.

Also, a big portion of the salt creek restoration was to increase the dissolved oxygen in the water so it could support some life.

I believe that there is an organization that is testing the dissolved oxygen levels in the creek to measure the impact of the restoration as well.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @geochitown said:

> Good summary, DP4.

> They used cut and fill to raise the playing surfaces and that was part of how they increased the stormwater storage capacity on the property.

> The renovation at Oak Meadows was to add wetlands and increase the level of the playing surfaces to reduce the impact of flooding on course operation.

> The fairways flood at higher water levels than before, and the water recedes faster.

> WIth the precipitation of this spring and last summer, salt creek hit 13.0 ft multiple times, which is historically a very high number.

> The old course would be closed at 10 ft salt creek level, and the problem there was the fairways would be under water for a long time, and the accumulated silt would kill the grass.

> There is a marked improvement in flood control and course resistance to flooding.

> They only could do so much and 20 million gallons isn't the end all, be all.

> Also, a big portion of the salt creek restoration was to increase the dissolved oxygen in the water so it could support some life.

> I believe that there is an organization that is testing the dissolved oxygen levels in the creek to measure the impact of the restoration as well.

>

Thanks GC. You're spot on and if the redesign wasn't done, probably 4-6 holes would end up as GUR for a month once the rest of the course was opened for play. Hopefully VNutz can chime in here as he went past it a couple of times post storm events and might have some pics showing the conditioning.

The preserve has not been closed a single day this year. If this spring would have happened before the renovation the course would have been closed 3-4 weeks. The design is terrific and the 10 min tee times make for a nice flow on most days.

As for a single you can call the day before and get put with a 3 some or 2 some based on availability.

It get rave reviews from most who play it.

Village links is nice, Arrowhead gets way too much play and it’s over rated, better bars at both though.

> @oldpalchamp said:

> > @MountainKing said:

> > > @NJgolfer11 said:

> > > Thank you all for the insight. No go for Butler National.

> > > I reached out to Chicago Highlands and well see what they say.

> > > Also reached out to Hinsdale, Aurora, amongst others. If no luck, I will look into one of the public options.

> >

> > Almost every public option listed here would be more with your time than Hinsdale and Aurora.

>

> Former Aurora CC member, here, and I will respectfully take exception with this. ACC is always in exceptional condition with some of the best (firm and fast) greens I have ever putted. Aurora features really nice flowing topography and, architecturally, and condition wise, it is far superior to Arrowhead, the Preserve, or The Village Links. As nice as Cantigny is, I would much prefer to play Aurora.

>

> It is not Butler National, or Butterfield, but it is an excellent course with a very nice architecture pedigree.

There's nothing wrong at all with the course, it's an old school Bendelow design which is fun to play now and then, but often feel like if you've played one you've played them all. I personally just feel that a lot of the newer public courses offer up a lot more interesting options. .I have to agree with DP4 that Cantigny might be the best option listed, 27 great holes and country club treatment/conditions.

Another CC club that's in LaGrange is Edgewood Valley or Ruth Lake in Hinsdale. Both are similar type of course to Aurora and Hinsdale.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @Argonne69 said:

> Can't help with the private. If you're a member of a high-end private, Butler National would be the course to try. There's also Chicago Highlands. Good luck.

>

> As for public, Oakbrook GC is the local muni. Decent, but nothing to write home about. Will you have a car? There are a number of better options within 15 miles.

Sorry for the delay.

I have to check but I do not think we will have a car.

Ok so I am staying at the Hilton and Willow Crest looks to be their course.

Here are other courses that are close by according to Google Maps.

Green Meadows

Twin Lakes

Oak Brook

Meadowlark

Downers Grove

Sugar Creek

Village Links of Ellgyn

I will not have a car so I do not mind Ubering. I am still seeing if I can get on a private course. If not, Village Links of Ellgyn looks nice. Also, Arrowhead looked good as well.

Thoughts on those 2 and the others I mentioned above?

Thank you for your input!

Willow Crest is a decent course. I'd likely take Arrowhead as the 2nd pick, and Village Links as the 3rd pick. Will you be playing solo? Arrowhead does not give tee times to singles.