2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

> @VNutz said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > > @VNutz said:

> > > Highlands of Elgin falls under the Elgin Park District. My guess is if they made it firm and fast it would generally mean more brown as well, which to the uneducated golfer might make it look like it wasn't being maintained properly, and to the less experienced golfer more difficult to play, both of which would likely lead to taxpayers complaining about tax dollar usage. As it currently is they water the heck out of it, but it looks amazing all the time to the residents that show up to eat at the Grumpy Goat so they think it's being run well, the Super remains in good standing, as does the head of the park district, and the town doesn't have to answer a ton of questions and complaints. Works for everybody. Just my own speculation, no evidence behind it.

> >

> > Good points! Everything always comes down to money. I can't wait to play in Scotland next month and experience true firm and fast.

>

> Jealous!!

Yeah but he doesn't get to play with Jimmy (inside joke to hide equal jealousy).

> @mci711 said:

> > @VNutz said:

> > Highlands of Elgin falls under the Elgin Park District. My guess is if they made it firm and fast it would generally mean more brown as well, which to the uneducated golfer might make it look like it wasn't being maintained properly, and to the less experienced golfer more difficult to play, both of which would likely lead to taxpayers complaining about tax dollar usage. As it currently is they water the heck out of it, but it looks amazing all the time to the residents that show up to eat at the Grumpy Goat so they think it's being run well, the Super remains in good standing, as does the head of the park district, and the town doesn't have to answer a ton of questions and complaints. Works for everybody. Just my own speculation, no evidence behind it.

>

> Good points! Everything always comes down to money. I can't wait to play in Scotland next month and experience true firm and fast.

Mt Prospect should help. It is getting firm and fast, played last night.

They had their first IJGA event there yesterday.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Calumet Country Club on Saturday morning. I was able to book a 9:30 am tee time, but I thought public tee times didn't start until 10:00 am. I assume I'll be joining members.

I assume the course allows walking? If so, did they charge the full advertised rate? I really wish courses would show a walking and riding rate when booking if walking is allowed.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I ended up having a meeting this afternoon so mt prospect was out. Ended up playing Joliet GC. It was pretty good. Condition was solid, greens were really good. It's a little less tight than I expected, which was nice because I haven't been great off the tee.

Course layout was really quirky. There were too many holes with hazards running through the fairway at odd distances. Long par 4s and a couple par 5s with a hazard at 260 or so forces a lay up and takes driver out of your hand. I'm not a fan of having that 4/5 times. Back to back par 3s was different too. Irons were dialed in shot a 75.

I'd suggest playing it, I played Stonewall last week for $5 less and that's a much better course. But the condition makes it worth it. Fun course ?wtqwiqkacmlp.jpg

> @mci711 said:

> I ended up having a meeting this afternoon so mt prospect was out. Ended up playing Joliet GC. It was pretty good. Condition was solid, greens were really good. It's a little less tight than I expected, which was nice because I haven't been great off the tee.

>

> Course layout was really quirky. There were too many holes with hazards running through the fairway at odd distances. Long par 4s and a couple par 5s with a hazard at 260 or so forces a lay up and takes driver out of your hand. I'm not a fan of having that 4/5 times. Back to back par 3s was different too. Irons were dialed in shot a 75.

> I'd suggest playing it, I played Stonewall last week for $5 less and that's a much better course. But the condition makes it worth it. Fun course ?

>

Very cool, thanks. Booked it for Sunday and saw a notification that it's a Super's Revenge Day. Ruhroh.

> @VNutz said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > I ended up having a meeting this afternoon so mt prospect was out. Ended up playing Joliet GC. It was pretty good. Condition was solid, greens were really good. It's a little less tight than I expected, which was nice because I haven't been great off the tee.

> >

> > Course layout was really quirky. There were too many holes with hazards running through the fairway at odd distances. Long par 4s and a couple par 5s with a hazard at 260 or so forces a lay up and takes driver out of your hand. I'm not a fan of having that 4/5 times. Back to back par 3s was different too. Irons were dialed in shot a 75.

> > I'd suggest playing it, I played Stonewall last week for $5 less and that's a much better course. But the condition makes it worth it. Fun course ?

> >

>

> Very cool, thanks. Booked it for Sunday and saw a notification that it's a Super's Revenge Day. Ruhroh.

Almost every single Sunday I’ve played this year seemed to be the Super’s Revange day. And than they wonder why rounds take 5+ hours ?‍♂️.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

> @Argonne69 said:

> Calumet Country Club on Saturday morning. I was able to book a 9:30 am tee time, but I thought public tee times didn't start until 10:00 am. I assume I'll be joining members.

>

> I assume the course allows walking? If so, did they charge the full advertised rate? I really wish courses would show a walking and riding rate when booking if walking is allowed.

There were walkers when I was there. Not sure if they discount. There's a couple of big walks between holes if I remember correctly due to their routing, which I should add, now appears normal after playing Joliet.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Prairie View and Timber Pointe on Sunday. TP is always wet but hopefully it’s been dry enough the last couple of weeks that it won’t be as swampy as in the past.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

To quote my daughter: OMG! What a phenomenal day for golf! (She doesn’t say that second part). Played Sunset Ridge this afternoon and it may have been the best golfing day (weather-wise) we’ve had this year.

This was my first time at SR, and it was very enjoyable. The greens were nice and quick and they rolled very true. Miss in the wrong section of the green and a two-putt becomes a real challenge. I lost count of how many 5-6 footers I had left after my first putt. They’ve also made some improvements this year, mainly re-doing the bunkers (base, sand and edges) and adding some irrigation. The bunkers are in great shape with nice fluffy country club sand, and I should know: I hit 6 fairway bunkers on a round that netted me a big fat 0 fairways hit. After the 13th hole tee shot found the right side rough, I actually stated that my goal was to miss all the remaining fairways while trying to par my way out. Half mission accomplished: I parred 13, 16 and 18 while getting a birdie on 17. Bogey and double on the other two holes, so I finished that six hole stretch at +2.

Overall, a decent course with a few interesting holes. But it’s not a track I’d be dying to go back to. Ironically, I’ll be back there in about a month.

Edit: forgot to add that the fairways were pretty tight with the most runout I've seen on a course so far this year. At least, that's what I saw from the guys actually hitting the fairways.

> @mci711 said:

> I ended up having a meeting this afternoon so mt prospect was out. Ended up playing Joliet GC. It was pretty good. Condition was solid, greens were really good. It's a little less tight than I expected, which was nice because I haven't been great off the tee.

>

> Course layout was really quirky. There were too many holes with hazards running through the fairway at odd distances. Long par 4s and a couple par 5s with a hazard at 260 or so forces a lay up and takes driver out of your hand. I'm not a fan of having that 4/5 times. Back to back par 3s was different too. Irons were dialed in shot a 75.

> I'd suggest playing it, I played Stonewall last week for $5 less and that's a much better course. But the condition makes it worth it. Fun course ?![]()

>

Normally that's a design feature that drives me nuts. I much prefer designs where maybe it makes more sense to layup but it makes you think "maybe I can get my driver out there and make a birdie". Despite the fact that the hard fairways led to my tee shots on both par 5's to end up in the creek, the design didn't bother me at Joliet because they were still reachable even with the layup. The front 9 par 5 I believe was 215ish to the hold and the one on the back I was able to get into the greenside bunker with a 3wd. They're both very scorable holes and my dumb*** doubled both. I guess in this instance it kind of allowed the holes to remain par 5's. The longer par 4 on the back (11 I think) irked me a bit since the other side was right at my carry distance with a driver and unless you wanted to be aggressive on a layup you were stuck back around 170. I do think making somebody lay that far back on a par 4 is dumb. The other holes didn't really take driver out of your hand, 16 you can hit driver up to the left side and 18 you can hit driver provided you hit it and land it perfectly.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @MountainKing said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > I ended up having a meeting this afternoon so mt prospect was out. Ended up playing Joliet GC. It was pretty good. Condition was solid, greens were really good. It's a little less tight than I expected, which was nice because I haven't been great off the tee.

> >

> > Course layout was really quirky. There were too many holes with hazards running through the fairway at odd distances. Long par 4s and a couple par 5s with a hazard at 260 or so forces a lay up and takes driver out of your hand. I'm not a fan of having that 4/5 times. Back to back par 3s was different too. Irons were dialed in shot a 75.

> > I'd suggest playing it, I played Stonewall last week for $5 less and that's a much better course. But the condition makes it worth it. Fun course ?![]()

> >

>

> Normally that's a design feature that drives me nuts. I much prefer designs where maybe it makes more sense to layup but it makes you think "maybe I can get my driver out there and make a birdie". Despite the fact that the hard fairways led to my tee shots on both par 5's to end up in the creek, the design didn't bother me at Joliet because they were still reachable even with the layup. The front 9 par 5 I believe was 215ish to the hold and the one on the back I was able to get into the greenside bunker with a 3wd. They're both very scorable holes and my dumb*** doubled both. I guess in this instance it kind of allowed the holes to remain par 5's. The longer par 4 on the back (11 I think) irked me a bit since the other side was right at my carry distance with a driver and unless you wanted to be aggressive on a layup you were stuck back around 170. I do think making somebody lay that far back on a par 4 is dumb. The other holes didn't really take driver out of your hand, 16 you can hit driver up to the left side and 18 you can hit driver provided you hit it and land it perfectly.

11 was the worst case of this for sure. 16 I just put it over the trees and went left on the par 4 and had a wedge in. 17 I hit driver up the right and hybrid on and 2 putted for birdie. I laid up off the tee on the 2nd par 5 and birdied it as well. The creek didn't really cause any problems, it was just an awkward distance.

Played perhaps my favorite 9 hole round of the year today at Meadowlark. Truly checked all the boxes.

--Overwhelmed with nostalgia from playing the course 15-20 years ago dozens of times due to price/proximity? Check

-- Starter from the greatest generation diligently checking receipts and closely monitoring when tee offs are occurring.

-- Tee boxes so firm a bodybuilder would have difficulty getting them in the ground.

-- 100s of broken tees strewn about every tee box

-- British open rollout when the "fairways" were cut, and not in a links style course kind of way-- Related: Rough so firm in spots in was like concrete.

-- Course crammed with walkers, no courtesy from anyone, minus the two pleasant ladies on tee one that let us "go ahead" only to regularly wait thereafter anyway.

-- Playing golf dodge ball neighrboring tee boxes, reminders to other players wandering to adjacent holes that was my ball were on the regular.

-- Fantastic bloody mary (sorry ldchris) made by the same guy that checks people in (nicest guy ever), and amazing hot dog served by someone grilling on a tent before hole 4

I truly have to do that once a year. The memories flooding back when i played this course because of the price and proximity were priceless, and this timeless course is stuck in time from my childhood. Y'all probably have your own Meadowlark, make it a point to play it this year for old times sake.

• Like 1

Round 1 of the McH Co Am - 77 (36-41) note don’t go long on 13.

The greens were very firm but rolled nicely. I’m T11 in the Champ flight, one more bogey and I would have moved to the A flight. Hopefully no rain hits tomorrow

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

... After finding Cog Hill #1 greens trashed by the rain and poor maintenance with dirt spots covering close to 50% of some greens, I played #2 yesterday and was surprised at the excellent conditions. Greens were very smooth with few ball marks although slower than any of us would prefer. Played behind a 4some that was the first group out at twilite with an almost 2 hole lead to start as some of my group was checked in but late, and they were brutal. Caught up to them on #4 and waited a good 5 to 10 minutes every tee but could not pass the until 9 after they hit their second shots and I teed off past the bunker on the left with a nice fade and they came back looking for their lost balls. I was able to get up to my ball as 2 were dropping at the water hitting their 5th shots and politely asked if we could play thru to "(sigh) OK, we will let you play thru but you guys should slow down and enjoy the day" LOL. "Thanks" I said "we will try." Fwiw, I was walking and the other guys in my group in carts.

... When we were walking off the 15th green they were just driving up to the 12th green. We finished in a little over 4:15 and I am guessing they did not finish by sunset. But all in all a beautiful day with light breezes and no bugs.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

Another pleasant morning at Calumet CC. A little warm, but at least the rain held off for now. First time playing the course. What's with the odd routing? They must have made the changes recently, as my Sky caddie was lost. I enjoyed the layout. Good mixture of holes, although one additional short par 3 would have been nice. Typical Donald Ross, no? It was weird because the course seemed deserted. Have locals not gotten the word that it's open for public play? Felt strange zipping around a half empty course mid Saturday morning. No complaints on the 3:40 pace. My only beef was the pace of the greens. For a private course they were ungodly slow. I left my first 15 footer 3 feet short. After sinking the par putt I tried my first putt again. And again. And again. Didn't get any of them to the hole. Oy.

Decent round, but I had to work at it. 8 fairways and 9 greens. I birdied two of the par 5s, and the par 3 14th, but also had eight dropped shots. It's going to take a couple of rounds here to get a feel for it.

I thought it was a decent layout. Nothing to get excited about though. I think Ravisloe is better, but not by a whole lot. Calumet feels more open.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > Highlands of Elgin today. Should be the firmest it has played in some time.

>

> They seem to put a lot of water on the course and sometimes the front of greens are soft. Will be interested to hear about the conditions.

Had an early am tee time today. The front of every green on the front side was very wet. Fairway on par 5 sixth hole left me with two different mud balls. Maybe drier later in the day but NOT firm and fast at all. The greens rolled great all day.

> @Apindara said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > Highlands of Elgin today. Should be the firmest it has played in some time.

> >

> > They seem to put a lot of water on the course and sometimes the front of greens are soft. Will be interested to hear about the conditions.

>

> Had an early am tee time today. The front of every green on the front side was very wet. Fairway on par 5 sixth hole left me with two different mud balls. Maybe drier later in the day but NOT firm and fast at all. The greens rolled great all day.

>

>

That sounds like pretty much the norm at HoE. I’m guessing the area in front of the first green was swampy since things tend to pool down there. It was playing fast and firm for me once around mid-June last year and the course really didn’t offer much in terms of difficulty. I think I shot even that day and most of the time in the overwatered conditions I shoot mid-70’s from the combo tees. They’ll never let it dry out. Not with an on-site water source that looks like it could be over 100 feet deep.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Played Sportman's this afternoon. Greens were a mess. Covered in ball marks, very bumpy, top-dressed with sand dyed green to cover the dead spots. All in all, very poor. They really need to up their game. Both Glencoe and Deerfield offer significantly better greens at roughly the same price point. Likely my last visit there this season.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

George Dunne this afternoon.... To call it a death march would be an insult to the death march. 5.5 hours as a 3-some????. What should have been a great round turned into a meh round. Holed out from 130 yards on 8th for an eagle, for a respectable 38 on front. Played ok on back until 5 19oz beers kicked in, and finished last 4 holes 7 over, for a bleh 80. Course is in good condition ( if you stay out of the bunkers, which are trash), and the greens are ok, but on the slow side. It appears the next round will be at Palmira in couple weeks. Never played it...

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

> @stasek said:

> George Dunne this afternoon.... To call it a death march would be an insult to the death march. 5.5 hours as a 3-some????. What should have been a great round turned into a meh round. Holed out from 130 yards on 8th for an eagle, for a respectable 38 on front. Played ok on back until 5 19oz beers kicked in, and finished last 4 holes 7 over, for a bleh 80. Course is in good condition ( if you stay out of the bunkers, which are trash), and the greens are ok, but on the slow side. It appears the next round will be at Palmira in couple weeks. Never played it...

Palmira is a good parkland layout, has some elevation change, uses water well and could be a solid course but the maintenance is suspect and pace can be a big issue. Argonne just played it and they were something like 30 minutes behind schedule for an 8:30 tee time. His recap is in the last “Where Are You Playing Today?” thread. I suggest you tee off before 6:30 am or you’re in for another 5 hour trek. Also, there’s no water coolers on the course.

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

Has anyone played Shepherd's crook or Thunderhawk this year? I am thinking about playing Lawsonia all day Sunday and driving up Saturday afternoon. Goal would be to play a late afternoon round somewhere on the way so Sunday I had a shorter drive. Thinking about playing 1 of those 2, I have never played either of them.

> @TheBear95 said:

> Played Sportman's this afternoon. Greens were a mess. Covered in ball marks, very bumpy, top-dressed with sand dyed green to cover the dead spots. All in all, very poor. They really need to up their game. Both Glencoe and Deerfield offer significantly better greens at roughly the same price point. Likely my last visit there this season.

we played today's sunrise round there. place had been well watered and cut. crews were out grooming greens and bunkers by five a.m. bet you a dollar the Saturday permanent players left the greens abused and poorly attended. we repaired a few dents that could have been caught by the grounds crew but nothing horrible.

seems like the older crowd fixes less marks. afternoon rounds encounter poorer conditions.

couple of the pin placements were difficult.

there wasn't enough Deep Woods to keep the pests away. lord help you walking under a tree.

walked off in under four. glad to wrap as the real heat was coming. almost needed my parasol.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

> @ldchristopher said:

> > @Apindara said:

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > Highlands of Elgin today. Should be the firmest it has played in some time.

> > >

> > > They seem to put a lot of water on the course and sometimes the front of greens are soft. Will be interested to hear about the conditions.

> >

> > Had an early am tee time today. The front of every green on the front side was very wet. Fairway on par 5 sixth hole left me with two different mud balls. Maybe drier later in the day but NOT firm and fast at all. The greens rolled great all day.

> >

> >

>

> That sounds like pretty much the norm at HoE. I’m guessing the area in front of the first green was swampy since things tend to pool down there. It was playing fast and firm for me once around mid-June last year and the course really didn’t offer much in terms of difficulty. I think I shot even that day and most of the time in the overwatered conditions I shoot mid-70’s from the combo tees. They’ll never let it dry out. Not with an on-site water source that looks like it could be over 100 feet deep.

I played last Thursday afternoon and the course was as fast and firm as I can remember. Greens were rolling very smoothly and I found it difficult to hold some greens even though I'm a high ball hitter and I play a fairly spinny ball. Looking at the forecast for the next few weeks, it's going to be incredibly hot and dry and I think a lot of courses could see some green, fairway, and rough damage due to the heat and lack of rain.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

> @mci711 said:

> Has anyone played Shepherd's crook or Thunderhawk this year? I am thinking about playing Lawsonia all day Sunday and driving up Saturday afternoon. Goal would be to play a late afternoon round somewhere on the way so Sunday I had a shorter drive. Thinking about playing 1 of those 2, I have never played either of them.

> @mci711 said:

> Has anyone played Shepherd's crook or Thunderhawk this year? I am thinking about playing Lawsonia all day Sunday and driving up Saturday afternoon. Goal would be to play a late afternoon round somewhere on the way so Sunday I had a shorter drive. Thinking about playing 1 of those 2, I have never played either of them.

Jimwct played shepherds in the last week or so, and said it was good

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Oak Brook GC this morning. It got a bit steamy in the later part of the round, but the early holes were pleasant. The course was in good shape, but there were quite a few wet spots. I don't it rained last night. Seems to be another course that insists in watering the cr-p out of the fairways. The greens were in very nice shape, and rolled with some decent speed. 'Still can't stand the 9th hole. The pace was reasonable at 4:10, but a group of head was more than a hole behind. That shouldn't happen that early in the morning.

Good round ballstriking with 12 greens. A little sporadic off the tee, but little damage. Only one birdie.

> @mci711 said:

I played Thunderhawk end of June, they were hammered with rain in the morning so it was cart path only in the afternoon, but other than that and some wet spots, Course was in great condition.

I might go out to Shepard’s crook tomorrow morning so I can let you know

Played Seven Bridges - Ryder Cup Scramble today. Alternate shot, best ball, scramble, with the fiance. She played great, we shot -4 and that was good enough to win. We putted awfully and probably should have been 6-7 under. She won long drive with a bomb about 265. Fun day all around though, I love the different formats. I wish there were more out there in the summer. Next one will be Cantigny in October.

> @Argonne69 said:

> Oak Brook GC this morning. It got a bit steamy in the later part of the round, but the early holes were pleasant. The course was in good shape, but there were quite a few wet spots. I don't it rained last night. Seems to be another course that insists in watering the cr-p out of the fairways. The greens were in very nice shape, and rolled with some decent speed. 'Still can't stand the 9th hole. The pace was reasonable at 4:10, but a group of head was more than a hole behind. That shouldn't happen that early in the morning.

>

> Good round ballstriking with 12 greens. A little sporadic off the tee, but little damage. Only one birdie.

>

Lets debate this, if you will. Whats wrong with the 9th at Oakbrook? (Ive heard this mentioned before here)

We need to stop walking 36 holes in these types of conditions. My students think I'm pretty intelligent but the decision to play two rounds on foot and cap off the day with a 4:40 death march might make my kiddos think otherwise. Maybe I can blame everything on Bear. Yeah, let's go with that.

Prairie View was outstanding as always. It checks every box: Incredible value ($28 on a weekend), great variety, smooth, quick greens, tour roll out on the fairways, 3 hour pace, and excellent conditions. Waking up at 3:30 AM and driving to Byron is a small price to pay for that golfing experience. I hit 13 greens but my only birdie came on 8. I was burning edges all day but did manage to drop some longer putts to save par after some nasty downhill putts that kept rolling farther and farther from the cup. 73.

Today was my first visit to Timber Pointe this season and it will be my last in quite some time. The clientele, which can best be described as "Old, Stale and Pale," seemed bound and determined to get on my last nerve. Despite a real feel of 97 degrees, no wind, and mosquitoes everywhere there was tree coverage, everyone except Bear and me moved at a snails pace. One of the guys in our group lost 24 balls (not an exaggeration; he lost three on multiple holes) and several holes that were flooded out were now completely dead and, despite being open, were essentially unplayable. I drove the ball really well, made a birdie on 4 to get back the bogie on 3, and made the turn at 37. I lost some steam on the back with bogies on 13, 15 and 16 but parred 17 and 18 to finish with a 76.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Veterans Memorial (or the artist formerly known as Willow Glen) was in rough shape today. Many tee boxes were half-brown and hard, there was all kinds of brown grass in the fairways - including tons of dead or burned cart tracks (see pic) - and the greens were riddled with brown spots and a few nearly bare patches. On the subject of the greens, they were slooooow. We had at least 4 putts stop dead on significant downslopes. On the par-3 16th, one of our guys guy chipped from the front of the green toward a back right pin, landed the ball just at the top of where it starts to slope down severely, and the ball stopped halfway down the slope. I then proceeded to leave a 40-footer on the same line 6 feet short. Yes, I should have adjusted by then, but it’s just so hard to thump downhill putts.

Overall, it was a good ball striking day, though I continue to over-draw my new Mizzy 919 Tours. Maybe 1* up wasn’t the right call after all.

Hoping to get out once or twice next week before my upcoming golf trip to Michigan.

zmzdvh07wsoq.jpeg