Golfing alone

stikillller

Been less & less, but yesterday I did head up and teed off at 6:30...... Played 13 holes as our 9th doesn't circle back to the clubhouse and wanted be home early, so cut over to 15 and played in. I don't hit the range and seldom the practice area either so play some extra balls and a different shot or two along the way. Love the ipod and listening to podcasts.

Not running but a fast pace and noticed that driving really on point and yes a few loose shots and a lapse here or there in concentration, but boy did I hit it well.

Miss it.

I have a regular foursome on the weekends. I am recently retired and play alone during the week. My weekend buddies are younger than I and still work for a living. Sometimes I’ll catch up with another player or two and join them. But the times that I play alone are very relaxing and enjoyable. I’ve played 70-rounds this year and I’d estimate 30-rounds have been solo.

Playing junior golf and practicing you get used to playing alone or in your own zone. Growing up working on golf courses you could sneak out before or after your shift and usually play alone or on a rare occasion meet up with a member. I enjoyed playing alone I could knock out 9 or 18 very quickly and work on some specific shots.

I still enjoy playing with my buddies and do enjoy the drinks and the laughs. But for me playing alone helps me decompress, gets my relaxed, and I always feel a strong connection to the golf course and golf in general and it reminds me of my late father who taught me to play golf at a young age and it was something we enjoyed together, its kind of an emotional connection and reminds me of him every time I step on the course.

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

Last week my wife and I were vacationing in Carmel California for a few days. I went out to Spyglass Hill as a single on Monday morning with a 7:30 tee time. Nobody ahead or behind me, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

I'd booked a tee time for just myself at Angeles National last weekend as my regular playing pal was out of town and my other one hates that course. Assumed I'd get put with a threesome but ...

... showed up and the course was practically empty - 4th of July weekend and all but I didn't figure it'd be THAT empty. When I checked in, dude was like "Just go out whenever you want - we're wide open today." So I played two off every tee and got in a ton of short game practice I don't normally get much of a chance to do. Never saw anyone behind me and didn't see anyone in front till I caught up to a foursome on the 16th green.

Was out there by myself for almost 5 hours and it was one of the most fun afternoons I've had on a golf course in a long, long time.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

> @aenemated said:

> I'd booked a tee time for just myself at Angeles National last weekend as my regular playing pal was out of town and my other one hates that course. Assumed I'd get put with a threesome but ...

>

> ... showed up and the course was practically empty - 4th of July weekend and all but I didn't figure it'd be THAT empty. When I checked in, dude was like "Just go out whenever you want - we're wide open today." So I played two off every tee and got in a ton of short game practice I don't normally get much of a chance to do. Never saw anyone behind me and didn't see anyone in front till I caught up to a foursome on the 16th green.

>

> Was out there by myself for almost 5 hours and it was one of the most fun afternoons I've had on a golf course in a long, long time.

Wow, you should have bought a lottery ticket. Never played Angeles Nationals but other courses in that area like Brookside are never wide open, just the opposite.

> @aenemated said:

> I'd booked a tee time for just myself at Angeles National last weekend as my regular playing pal was out of town and my other one hates that course. Assumed I'd get put with a threesome but ...

>

> ... showed up and the course was practically empty - 4th of July weekend and all but I didn't figure it'd be THAT empty. When I checked in, dude was like "Just go out whenever you want - we're wide open today." So I played two off every tee and got in a ton of short game practice I don't normally get much of a chance to do. Never saw anyone behind me and didn't see anyone in front till I caught up to a foursome on the 16th green.

>

> Was out there by myself for almost 5 hours and it was one of the most fun afternoons I've had on a golf course in a long, long time.

Wait, wait! Do you mean you played solo on an empty course and didn't finish in 2:15? Isn't that against the WRX fast play code?? Said in jest of course. Nothing like an empty course and taking time for practice.

> @TIM929 said:

> Wow, you should have bought a lottery ticket. Never played Angeles Nationals but other courses in that area like Brookside are never wide open, just the opposite.

Brookside or whittier narrows will always be packed, but I practice a lot at Santa Anita and have had plenty of solo practice rounds at first light. Take off from the back 9 and you can usually get ahead of the first group teeing off from #1 and then you can jump around on some open holes

Honma 737-445cc 9.5 driver Honma Vizard 70g

Adams Pro Mini 18 Aldila Tour green

Adams Pro Mini 23 Aldila Tour green

Nike VR Forged MB 4-PW

Cleveland 588 Endo Forged MB 4-PW

Miura 50 Forged Wedge, Yururi Forged Wedge 53, Honma Forged Wedge 56

Ping Anser 4 BECU w/ UST frequency filtered shaft

Jones William Murray edition carry bag

> @USCdrifter said:

> > @TIM929 said:

> > Wow, you should have bought a lottery ticket. Never played Angeles Nationals but other courses in that area like Brookside are never wide open, just the opposite.

>

> Brookside or whittier narrows will always be packed, but I practice a lot at Santa Anita and have had plenty of solo practice rounds at first light. Take off from the back 9 and you can usually get ahead of the first group teeing off from #1 and then you can jump around on some open holes

better test it out, thanks. Hows the course/ greens compared to Brookside or Whittier Narrows?

I go to those 2 because the greens are not bad for a muni.

> @TIM929 said:

> Wow, you should have bought a lottery ticket. Never played Angeles Nationals but other courses in that area like Brookside are never wide open, just the opposite.

Yeah, it was kinda nuts. I play there every so often - really whenever I see a deal come up on GolfNow - and it's usually pretty full. I figured it'd be somewhat open being 4th of July weekend but surely didn't expect to see it effectively empty when I showed up around noon.

> @om18v said:

> Wait, wait! Do you mean you played solo on an empty course and didn't finish in 2:15? Isn't that against the WRX fast play code?? Said in jest of course. Nothing like an empty course and taking time for practice.

Haha I think I was coming off the 4th hole when it hit me I'd only been out there for like 30 minutes!

I like to play at night by myself to work on shots that I know I can hit but just need a little practice. I have someone that asks me to play all the time he is a 16 I am a 3 and he wants to play matches at night. I will be trying to cut /draw high 2i or low 3wd but I may want to hit a few. He will look over after a few holes stating who’s so my response-

I said any weekend you want to play a match I am good but I want to hit my non crutch shots at night. If a hockey play needs to work on a one timer they practice that shot or baseball player needs work on low fastball s they work on it.

We played a long course this weekend and I shot 76 he was lucky to be 95.He would not talk to me on the back nine! I like him but he needs to be realistic on his skills but will not accept it!!!

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

I have a group I play with semi-steadily, but it's getting harder to get everyone together due to family and work obligations. I love playing single. Gives me a chance to gather my thoughts or do away with them altogether. I also enjoy being paired with someone. I can only think of three rounds where that turned out badly. I'm also in a league, so I get all sides of the spectrum.

It's kind of a seasonal thing for me, as I really enjoy playing solo, but not on a crowded course. Here in Michigan, some courses stay open all winter, weather permitting, and are very empty. Late fall, winter and early spring I love the solitary round. Very relaxing and helps me to decompress from my hectic work schedule. Also... in season golf in the light rain. Empty courses, mild inconvenience in a rain suit.

> @om18v said:

> > @aenemated said:

> > I'd booked a tee time for just myself at Angeles National last weekend as my regular playing pal was out of town and my other one hates that course. Assumed I'd get put with a threesome but ...

> >

> > ... showed up and the course was practically empty - 4th of July weekend and all but I didn't figure it'd be THAT empty. When I checked in, dude was like "Just go out whenever you want - we're wide open today." So I played two off every tee and got in a ton of short game practice I don't normally get much of a chance to do. Never saw anyone behind me and didn't see anyone in front till I caught up to a foursome on the 16th green.

> >

> > Was out there by myself for almost 5 hours and it was one of the most fun afternoons I've had on a golf course in a long, long time.

>

> Wait, wait! Do you mean you played solo on an empty course and didn't finish in 2:15? Isn't that against the WRX fast play code?? Said in jest of course. Nothing like an empty course and taking time for practice.

I'm headed out shortly as a scramble coming off the course around 4:00. I will be walking a very hilly course on my own and playing multiple balls and extra shots and **_WILL BE DONE IN 2:15_**

Not sure how many balls or how slow he was playing that it took 5 hours!!!!

> @Under2hours said:

> > @om18v said:

> > > @aenemated said:

> > > I'd booked a tee time for just myself at Angeles National last weekend as my regular playing pal was out of town and my other one hates that course. Assumed I'd get put with a threesome but ...

> > >

> > > ... showed up and the course was practically empty - 4th of July weekend and all but I didn't figure it'd be THAT empty. When I checked in, dude was like "Just go out whenever you want - we're wide open today." So I played two off every tee and got in a ton of short game practice I don't normally get much of a chance to do. Never saw anyone behind me and didn't see anyone in front till I caught up to a foursome on the 16th green.

> > >

> > > Was out there by myself for almost 5 hours and it was one of the most fun afternoons I've had on a golf course in a long, long time.

> >

> > Wait, wait! Do you mean you played solo on an empty course and didn't finish in 2:15? Isn't that against the WRX fast play code?? Said in jest of course. Nothing like an empty course and taking time for practice.

>

> I'm headed out shortly as a scramble coming off the course around 4:00. I will be walking a very hilly course on my own and playing multiple balls and extra shots and **_WILL BE DONE IN 2:15_**

>

> Not sure how many balls or how slow he was playing that it took 5 hours!!!!

Maybe his goal was not to finish as quickly as possible. Apparently he was not holding anyone up. Ever stop and smell the roses? You like to play fast, yeah, that is abundantly clear. SHOUT ALL YOU WANT. He said, "_one of the most fun afternoons I've had on a golf course in a long, long time._" Nuff said.

I play as a single 90% of the time. Getting paired up with someone else isn’t bad unless they have a really annoying personality. When I do play alone, it’s great, no pace to keep, and no waiting or looking for another player’s ball. I played Green Ridge in NY on Saturday and it was completely quiet except for the birds chirping. I’ve never experienced a round of golf so serene. No car sounds, no people, nothing but nature. Even when I play at my local course at 5:30AM there are still sounds from the road. It was truly intoxicating.

Usually book as a single and get paired up with 3 others. But since it’s around the same time every weekend I usually see the same guys early in the morning. Except this past Sunday I was grouped with a dad and his 20 something year old son. The son was terrible at golf which doesn’t bother me. EXCEPT he complained the whole 4 hours about how he was robbed, had a bad lie, lost his ball in the middle of the fairway, etc. He also kicked his bag, threw his clubs, slammed his clubs into his bag during other people’s backswings. Basically acted like a jerk. If you teach your kids anything, please teach them that no one cares how good you are at golf but people will care if you ruin an otherwise fun round of golf.

> @om18v said:

> > @Under2hours said:

> > > @om18v said:

> > > > @aenemated said:

> > > > I'd booked a tee time for just myself at Angeles National last weekend as my regular playing pal was out of town and my other one hates that course. Assumed I'd get put with a threesome but ...

> > > >

> > > > ... showed up and the course was practically empty - 4th of July weekend and all but I didn't figure it'd be THAT empty. When I checked in, dude was like "Just go out whenever you want - we're wide open today." So I played two off every tee and got in a ton of short game practice I don't normally get much of a chance to do. Never saw anyone behind me and didn't see anyone in front till I caught up to a foursome on the 16th green.

> > > >

> > > > Was out there by myself for almost 5 hours and it was one of the most fun afternoons I've had on a golf course in a long, long time.

> > >

> > > Wait, wait! Do you mean you played solo on an empty course and didn't finish in 2:15? Isn't that against the WRX fast play code?? Said in jest of course. Nothing like an empty course and taking time for practice.

> >

> > I'm headed out shortly as a scramble coming off the course around 4:00. I will be walking a very hilly course on my own and playing multiple balls and extra shots and **_WILL BE DONE IN 2:15_**

> >

> > Not sure how many balls or how slow he was playing that it took 5 hours!!!!

>

> Maybe his goal was not to finish as quickly as possible. Apparently he was not holding anyone up. Ever stop and smell the roses? You like to play fast, yeah, that is abundantly clear. SHOUT ALL YOU WANT. He said, "_one of the most fun afternoons I've had on a golf course in a long, long time._" Nuff said.

Sorry five hours to play a round of golf alone is beyond a turtle's pace and yes wondering what he was doing (as he mentioned hitting other shots, but I'd probably hit 500 if it was a 5 hour round)...... Can only imagine what his regular pace is.

I love golf and if I had 5 hours I'd play 2 rounds if possible. Yesterday I played at least two balls every hole, a drive and then two balls with my approach shots (2 on every par three too). Since after an outside event I too was fixing many divots and more pitch marks on the greens.

I must admit now that I do have my regular group and playing most rounds with others, I was annoyed that no one saw my first pitch in of the year a beautiful gw over a bunker that disappeared. Had 2 other birdies too and some really nice shots to boot. Putting was not great.

And yes was off in 2:10....... 3:30 door to door.

I get absolutely nothing out of hitting balls on the range. I love golfing alone. The courses around here aren't usually packed and I can really get my game from 100 yards in about as good as I can get it. But, I also love my league night.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

> @lawsonman said:

> I get absolutely nothing out of hitting balls on the range. I love golfing alone. The courses around here aren't usually packed and I can really get my game from 100 yards in about as good as I can get it. But, I also love my league night.

Same here. The exercise carrying a bag and playing a quick pace and 15000 steps doesn't hurt either.

> @Under2hours said:

> > @om18v said:

> > > @Under2hours said:

> > > > @om18v said:

> > > > > @aenemated said:

> > > > > I'd booked a tee time for just myself at Angeles National last weekend as my regular playing pal was out of town and my other one hates that course. Assumed I'd get put with a threesome but ...

> > > > >

> > > > > ... showed up and the course was practically empty - 4th of July weekend and all but I didn't figure it'd be THAT empty. When I checked in, dude was like "Just go out whenever you want - we're wide open today." So I played two off every tee and got in a ton of short game practice I don't normally get much of a chance to do. Never saw anyone behind me and didn't see anyone in front till I caught up to a foursome on the 16th green.

> > > > >

> > > > > Was out there by myself for almost 5 hours and it was one of the most fun afternoons I've had on a golf course in a long, long time.

> > > >

> > > > Wait, wait! Do you mean you played solo on an empty course and didn't finish in 2:15? Isn't that against the WRX fast play code?? Said in jest of course. Nothing like an empty course and taking time for practice.

> > >

> > > I'm headed out shortly as a scramble coming off the course around 4:00. I will be walking a very hilly course on my own and playing multiple balls and extra shots and **_WILL BE DONE IN 2:15_**

> > >

> > > Not sure how many balls or how slow he was playing that it took 5 hours!!!!

> >

> > Maybe his goal was not to finish as quickly as possible. Apparently he was not holding anyone up. Ever stop and smell the roses? You like to play fast, yeah, that is abundantly clear. SHOUT ALL YOU WANT. He said, "_one of the most fun afternoons I've had on a golf course in a long, long time._" Nuff said.

>

> Sorry five hours to play a round of golf alone is beyond a turtle's pace and yes wondering what he was doing (as he mentioned hitting other shots, but I'd probably hit 500 if it was a 5 hour round)...... Can only imagine what his regular pace is.

>

> I love golf and if I had 5 hours I'd play 2 rounds if possible. Yesterday I played at least two balls every hole, a drive and then two balls with my approach shots (2 on every par three too). Since after an outside event I too was fixing many divots and more pitch marks on the greens.

>

> I must admit now that I do have my regular group and playing most rounds with others, I was annoyed that no one saw my first pitch in of the year a beautiful gw over a bunker that disappeared. Had 2 other birdies too and some really nice shots to boot. Putting was not great.

>

> And yes was off in 2:10....... 3:30 door to door.

I was spending about 15-20 minutes around every green practicing my short game. I ENJOY practice.

How often does one get a world class course in amazing condition on a gorgeous Southern California day practically all to yourself?

Answer - basically never. So yeah, I probably hit MORE than 500 shots. Easily. Why WOULDN'T I do that?

As far as how fast I normally play? I'll lay any amount of money I can walk 18 holes faster than most.

I'm starting to think I may not practice on the range much going forward.

The last couple days I've gone out in the evening and played from the forward tees hitting mid-irons into the fairways and approaches from 150 and in. I've carried about 7-8 clubs in total in a lightweight bag with a minimal amount of extra stuff and aside from it being really hot out, it's not tiring at all.

I think playing that way with a few balls off each tee trying to keep myself around level par is probably better than beating balls on the range.

I think I'm going to make this a routine thing! Not only am I getting to shake things up but I've been surprised at how much fun it is to play "easy" golf where you've got 2-3 good chances at birdie on every hole. I'm surprised at how quickly I can blow through 9 holes, too. When there's no meandering around looking for wayward shots you tend to play really fast.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @aenemated said:

> > @Under2hours said:

> > > @om18v said:

> > > > @Under2hours said:

> > > > > @om18v said:

> > > > > > @aenemated said:

> > > > > > I'd booked a tee time for just myself at Angeles National last weekend as my regular playing pal was out of town and my other one hates that course. Assumed I'd get put with a threesome but ...

> > > > > >

> > > > > > ... showed up and the course was practically empty - 4th of July weekend and all but I didn't figure it'd be THAT empty. When I checked in, dude was like "Just go out whenever you want - we're wide open today." So I played two off every tee and got in a ton of short game practice I don't normally get much of a chance to do. Never saw anyone behind me and didn't see anyone in front till I caught up to a foursome on the 16th green.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Was out there by myself for almost 5 hours and it was one of the most fun afternoons I've had on a golf course in a long, long time.

> > > > >

> > > > > Wait, wait! Do you mean you played solo on an empty course and didn't finish in 2:15? Isn't that against the WRX fast play code?? Said in jest of course. Nothing like an empty course and taking time for practice.

> > > >

> > > > I'm headed out shortly as a scramble coming off the course around 4:00. I will be walking a very hilly course on my own and playing multiple balls and extra shots and **_WILL BE DONE IN 2:15_**

> > > >

> > > > Not sure how many balls or how slow he was playing that it took 5 hours!!!!

> > >

> > > Maybe his goal was not to finish as quickly as possible. Apparently he was not holding anyone up. Ever stop and smell the roses? You like to play fast, yeah, that is abundantly clear. SHOUT ALL YOU WANT. He said, "_one of the most fun afternoons I've had on a golf course in a long, long time._" Nuff said.

> >

> > Sorry five hours to play a round of golf alone is beyond a turtle's pace and yes wondering what he was doing (as he mentioned hitting other shots, but I'd probably hit 500 if it was a 5 hour round)...... Can only imagine what his regular pace is.

> >

> > I love golf and if I had 5 hours I'd play 2 rounds if possible. Yesterday I played at least two balls every hole, a drive and then two balls with my approach shots (2 on every par three too). Since after an outside event I too was fixing many divots and more pitch marks on the greens.

> >

> > I must admit now that I do have my regular group and playing most rounds with others, I was annoyed that no one saw my first pitch in of the year a beautiful gw over a bunker that disappeared. Had 2 other birdies too and some really nice shots to boot. Putting was not great.

> >

> > And yes was off in 2:10....... 3:30 door to door.

>

> I was spending about 15-20 minutes around every green practicing my short game. I ENJOY practice.

>

> How often does one get a world class course in amazing condition on a gorgeous Southern California day practically all to yourself?

>

> Answer - basically never. So yeah, I probably hit MORE than 500 shots. Easily. Why WOULDN'T I do that?

>

> As far as how fast I normally play? I'll lay any amount of money I can walk 18 holes faster than most.

Congrats, missed the practice part. Now it makes more sense.

Love playing with friends but will welcome playing alone if schedules don't work. As long as I'm playing.

Titleist TSI3 Fuji Ventus Blue TR 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 15* Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7X

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19* Graphite Design AD DI Hybrid 85x 

Ping i210 4-PW Nippon Modus 120X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 8F 56* 10S 60* 8M DG S300

Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5 BGT LE Stability Shaft

Titleist Prov1x