2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Getting kids fit for clubs

Just curious at what age people took their child and got them professionally fitted for clubs? My daughter is close to out growing her current set of irons and I’m thinking about getting her fit. She is close to turning 12 and hasn’t hit a huge growth spurt yet. I’m concerned if I pay to get her fitted that I will get maybe a 1-1.5 years out of the clubs. That isn’t very long when you consider how much it’s costs to get fit plus by the irons. In the process of talking to a fitter now to see how the process goes and what my options are when she out grows the new set. The places around here charge close to $150 to fit someone for irons.

I’m not talking about going to the superstore or Edwin Watts. I would

prefer to be outdoors where I can see the ball flight. Just curious what every else has gone through with this process.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sound like where I have been. My daughter is 13. Last fall (just before she turned 13) I almost had her fitted. I talked myself out of it after watching her hit with some ladies irons. She could swing them fine, but it is longer/heavier.

Fast forward to now, she has grown 4+ inches since then and is still growing (she has grown 1.5" since March).

All this to say, my suggestion is not to get her fit until her growth slows down OR until she outgrows the largest set of US Kids Clubs. My daughter could outgrow hers by fall, at which point I will probably choose to get her fitted and plop down the cash then for new irons.

I got her ladies irons last year because I got a really good deal on them. I had them cut down to the US kids specs for her size and she has had no issues with them. Next month will be a year that she has been in those irons. The only thing I had done to the irons besides cutting them down was to been them to fit her lie angle. This time i’m

debating on doing an actual fitting. There are women’s irons out there that are lighter and would be a better fit for her but I’m

not sure it’s worth spending $1000-$1200 to go that route. If I knew I could get 2 years out of them, then maybe I could justify it. I’m curious to see what the fitter tells me.

It’s a moving target on kids to get a correct fitting. If you never had a fitting and curious I would say ahead and do it as it worth it to get an idea of what is needed today and will help you later on when she grows more.

The big warning is around 12 girls seem to grow like crazy. In the last year I have gone though multiple shafts and eventually had to replace brand new irons trying keep perfect irons. If I had to do again I would have just brought longer and stiffer clubs and just bent the lie angles. Might have not been ideal but would have saved a lot money. It is the point I am sick of buying clubs.

Also resist the temptation to buy new clubs when there growing like crazy.

I would say it depends on what her goals are. My son is a competitive 12 year old golfer with ambitions of playing in college. I just had him fit for a second year in a row. He outgrew the set we had built last year in 13 months. As you already know, the proper weight of the club is equally as important as the proper length. I’d think you would be amazed at the performance difference of a properly fit set of clubs. Club Champion is expensive but their fittings are incredible. You can then take their recommendations and purchase them on your own for a lot less $.

King F9 9* HZDRS Smoke 6.0
Rogue 3W Evenflow Blue
Rogue 5W Evenflow Blue
714 AP2 4-W
MD4 52*
MD4 56*
MD4 60*
Odyssey O-Works #1 Black

We skipped fitting for my 11-year-old. He is going through a growth spurt right now, and it just didn't make sense to plunk $300 fitting on top of $2000 equipment he will outgrow next year. Instead, I did my own homework and we tried several different head-shaft combinations. It might not be optimal but still blows any junior clubs out of the water.

I don't think I bought anything new for my son as he went through the 10-14 year old years. Everything was either given by or purchased from and older junior after we could try it out or I would get things cheap on ebay and cut them down. If they didn't work out, minimal loss that way. He's 15 now and even his irons are still hand me downs. One night during a lesson last fall, his teacher said the shafts are too whippy for him now. He went inside and got his set of irons from 2-3 years ago and let him try them. He said they are yours. Saved me about $1000 and my son loves them.

I was in a similar situation with my 12 year old daughter. She had her choice of just about anything she wanted and in the end she chose a set of Flynn Junior clubs. The Flynn clubs are not easy to find, we got lucky another junior had a set that she had just purchased and she allowed my daughter to play them one Sunday afternoon. Immediately after walking off the last green she said "dad this is the set I want". I spoke with Flynn on size recommendations and had a order placed that Monday morning the full set arrived the following Wednesday. She has been very happy with the Flynn clubs. I was considering a Cobra driver with a Flynn shaft, but she insisted on the Flynn driver and has hit it well. The weights seem to fit her well it has been a very good choice. The pricing is very competitive and the quality is evident immediately.

I spoke with a club fitter yesterday and he told me that there were really on two companies that were good a fitting the “average” junior player for clubs. He said that Mizuno and Ping has the capability to alter head weights and provide more

options than the other brands. This is why you see so many juniors in Ping clubs. Now if your junior is really big or strong for their age then there are more options. I’m supposed to go in September and let my daughter his the new Ping G LE 2 women’s irons and the Ping Prodigy junior irons. They are going to see what is the best fit for her.

We just went through this. My son turned 12 and hit a major growth spurt over the winter. Hit puberty a little early IMO. So we got him fit with his instructor who is a ping fitter that used to work at Pinehurst and Cameron McCormicks our in texas prior. He was fit for -1/2” ladies G400 irons. He hits them so much better than his old clubs. I ordered them full length and he just chokes down a bit. However since ordering them inn april he has already grown another 1.5” and doesn’t really choke down any longer. He has never been fit for a driver outside of buying Jr Cobra ones and I told him he fixes his swing plane issues and strike the ball better next week I would let him get fit for whatever he wanted in a driver or fwy wood. He is leaning towards a Taylor Made or Cobra F9 driver.

> @Belmont148 said:

> We just went through this. My son turned 12 and hit a major growth spurt over the winter. Hit puberty a little early IMO. So we got him fit with his instructor who is a ping fitter that used to work at Pinehurst and Cameron McCormicks our in texas prior. He was fit for -1/2” ladies G400 irons. He hits them so much better than his old clubs. I ordered them full length and he just chokes down a bit. However since ordering them inn april he has already grown another 1.5” and doesn’t really choke down any longer. He has never been fit for a driver outside of buying Jr Cobra ones and I told him he fixes his swing plane issues and strike the ball better next week I would let him get fit for whatever he wanted in a driver or fwy wood. He is leaning towards a Taylor Made or Cobra F9 driver.

Ping is coming out with a new ladies set called the G LE2 which is supposed to have the same technology has the men’s 410 series. I want to wait until they come out so my daughter can hit those and the Ping Prodigy clubs. Trying to see which is better for her.

> @Golfingdawg19 said:

> > @Belmont148 said:

> > We just went through this. My son turned 12 and hit a major growth spurt over the winter. Hit puberty a little early IMO. So we got him fit with his instructor who is a ping fitter that used to work at Pinehurst and Cameron McCormicks our in texas prior. He was fit for -1/2” ladies G400 irons. He hits them so much better than his old clubs. I ordered them full length and he just chokes down a bit. However since ordering them inn april he has already grown another 1.5” and doesn’t really choke down any longer. He has never been fit for a driver outside of buying Jr Cobra ones and I told him he fixes his swing plane issues and strike the ball better next week I would let him get fit for whatever he wanted in a driver or fwy wood. He is leaning towards a Taylor Made or Cobra F9 driver.

>

> Ping is coming out with a new ladies set called the G LE2 which is supposed to have the same technology has the men’s 410 series. I want to wait until they come out so my daughter can hit those and the Ping Prodigy clubs. Trying to see which is better for her

The best clubs are usually men’s clubs fit to women’s specs. I don’t think I ever seen LPGA women actually play women’s sets that are sold on the racks. My guess the ping women clubs will not as good as the men’s version.

Also remember there is not a standard flex for shafts which makes things way harder then they need to be so don’t rule out Senior shafts as a possibility either.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @Golfingdawg19 said:

> > > @Belmont148 said:

> > > We just went through this. My son turned 12 and hit a major growth spurt over the winter. Hit puberty a little early IMO. So we got him fit with his instructor who is a ping fitter that used to work at Pinehurst and Cameron McCormicks our in texas prior. He was fit for -1/2” ladies G400 irons. He hits them so much better than his old clubs. I ordered them full length and he just chokes down a bit. However since ordering them inn april he has already grown another 1.5” and doesn’t really choke down any longer. He has never been fit for a driver outside of buying Jr Cobra ones and I told him he fixes his swing plane issues and strike the ball better next week I would let him get fit for whatever he wanted in a driver or fwy wood. He is leaning towards a Taylor Made or Cobra F9 driver.

> >

> > Ping is coming out with a new ladies set called the G LE2 which is supposed to have the same technology has the men’s 410 series. I want to wait until they come out so my daughter can hit those and the Ping Prodigy clubs. Trying to see which is better for her

>

> The best clubs are usually men’s clubs fit to women’s specs. I don’t think I ever seen LPGA women actually play women’s sets that are sold on the racks. My guess the ping women clubs will not as good as the men’s version.

>

> Also remember there is not a standard flex for shafts which makes things way harder then they need to be so don’t rule out Senior shafts as a possibility either.

>

>

This I agree

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @Golfingdawg19 said:

> > > @Belmont148 said:

> > > We just went through this. My son turned 12 and hit a major growth spurt over the winter. Hit puberty a little early IMO. So we got him fit with his instructor who is a ping fitter that used to work at Pinehurst and Cameron McCormicks our in texas prior. He was fit for -1/2” ladies G400 irons. He hits them so much better than his old clubs. I ordered them full length and he just chokes down a bit. However since ordering them inn april he has already grown another 1.5” and doesn’t really choke down any longer. He has never been fit for a driver outside of buying Jr Cobra ones and I told him he fixes his swing plane issues and strike the ball better next week I would let him get fit for whatever he wanted in a driver or fwy wood. He is leaning towards a Taylor Made or Cobra F9 driver.

> >

> > Ping is coming out with a new ladies set called the G LE2 which is supposed to have the same technology has the men’s 410 series. I want to wait until they come out so my daughter can hit those and the Ping Prodigy clubs. Trying to see which is better for her

>

> The best clubs are usually men’s clubs fit to women’s specs. I don’t think I ever seen LPGA women actually play women’s sets that are sold on the racks. My guess the ping women clubs will not as good as the men’s version.

>

> Also remember there is not a standard flex for shafts which makes things way harder then they need to be so don’t rule out Senior shafts as a possibility either.

>

>

Tiger my daughter isn’t strong enough to handle the weight of a men’s set and thus I’m

looking at the women’s G LE 2. If she was strong enough I would most definitely get her a men’s set with senior or regular flex. She isn’t there yet so I don’t have the same options as your daughter does.

> @Golfingdawg19 said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @Golfingdawg19 said:

> > > > @Belmont148 said:

> > > > We just went through this. My son turned 12 and hit a major growth spurt over the winter. Hit puberty a little early IMO. So we got him fit with his instructor who is a ping fitter that used to work at Pinehurst and Cameron McCormicks our in texas prior. He was fit for -1/2” ladies G400 irons. He hits them so much better than his old clubs. I ordered them full length and he just chokes down a bit. However since ordering them inn april he has already grown another 1.5” and doesn’t really choke down any longer. He has never been fit for a driver outside of buying Jr Cobra ones and I told him he fixes his swing plane issues and strike the ball better next week I would let him get fit for whatever he wanted in a driver or fwy wood. He is leaning towards a Taylor Made or Cobra F9 driver.

> > >

> > > Ping is coming out with a new ladies set called the G LE2 which is supposed to have the same technology has the men’s 410 series. I want to wait until they come out so my daughter can hit those and the Ping Prodigy clubs. Trying to see which is better for her

> >

> > The best clubs are usually men’s clubs fit to women’s specs. I don’t think I ever seen LPGA women actually play women’s sets that are sold on the racks. My guess the ping women clubs will not as good as the men’s version.

> >

> > Also remember there is not a standard flex for shafts which makes things way harder then they need to be so don’t rule out Senior shafts as a possibility either.

> >

> >

> Tiger my daughter isn’t strong enough to handle the weight of a men’s set and thus I’m

> looking at the women’s G LE 2. If she was strong enough I would most definitely get her a men’s set with senior or regular flex. She isn’t there yet so I don’t have the same options as your daughter does.

>

Not sure if you are looking at other options other then ping. If weight is an issue I would look at some the clubs that you see in seniors bags. Srixon makes some pretty good light clubs as well as callaway. I would also look at something like the ap1's out there I know you can get that in a women's configuration with very light shafts and there are plenty of good used sets out there.

When I mentioned senior flex some shafts out there are just really whippy and even though an A is stamped on them there really a ladies flex. They do this so guys do not have to admit that they actually need ladies flex. Some ladies shafts also are truly awful out there and worse than junior shafts. I think this is where a fitting really helps a person you can narrow down certain shaft and then just step up as needed.

The fitter told me that Ping and Mizuno were the best options for fitting a normal junior. Both companies have the ability to alter head weights which is beneficial for the juniors looking to keep the clubs as light as possible.

If she were as big and as strong as your daughter Tiger, then I could look at other companies. For right now it looks like the Ping G LE 2 women’s irons or the Ping Prodigy junior set are my best options right now. I didn’t see any women’s irons on Mizuno’s website but I may be able to get

one of the men’s heads light enough and pair it with a ladies flex graphite shaft.

I think I would buy the Prodi G before the G Le stuff. At least you get an adjustment with the Prodi G. The G Le always look like a bargain bin box set of clubs to me. You can get the G400 and G410 in Womens spec. They come ladies length with the super light shafts and the tuning weight port is custom to your desired swing weight.

We are in the funky situation of club building as my 9 year old is already knocking on the door of 60" height. As a lot of people have already stated we will not get him fit until his growth spurts stabilize or he starts getting into the height range of adult clubs without major adjustments (We are thinking that will be in about 2-3 years). Right now I use eBay and resellers and we will make adjustments as need be. From what I have seen the 9-13 year old range is when getting the right clubs can be a nightmare. You can go pay for the perfect fitting and the fitting be useless in 3 months. We see so many kids in my son's age bracket experimenting with different clubs and it makes sense, a lot of growth and strength change in this age. As a teacher I see kids on a more daily basis and the difference in size you see in a large population of intermediate/middle school age kids in a short time span is truly staggering.

> @Belmont148 said:

> I think I would buy the Prodi G before the G Le stuff. At least you get an adjustment with the Prodi G. The G Le always look like a bargain bin box set of clubs to me. You can get the G400 and G410 in Womens spec. They come ladies length with the super light shafts and the tuning weight port is custom to your desired swing weight.

The fitter talked a bunch about the tuning weight port so I’ll have to ask about the G400 irons with ladies flex.