Can WRX start a new section for "Better Players" PLEEEEEASE (changed from Scratch)

There are many questions and discussions myself and other scratch golfers would like to get into without the myriad of responses from players that shoot bogey+ golf..... If your a scratch then you know that opinions of bogey golfers dont hold much water and muddy up the conversation on the course or on WRX lol.... its strange but true how little 90+ scoring golfers opinions are not even listened to by better players.... its very rare they can tell you something you dont already know about

example: I started a thread bout whether its advantageous to hit higher/lower to up/down sloping fairways and I realized the guys got stuck on the idea of hitting a flighted shot with driver lol and best to just hit stock shot.... haha its easy to flight a drive down and realized the audience wasnt good enough to discuss the idea... but if it was in a scratch section the right guys would of responded with insight..... I asked a similar question about playing from uneven lies about going with the slope or forcing your will on it for the flight you want and the discussion was useless cause of the ability of the players. Plus it would be a place where bogey+ golfers could ask a good player a question.

I know Obee started that good thread for scratch golfers tourney results and thats great but can we get one section PLEASE..... or at least try it before you say no lol.... Thanks!!!!

Can't figure how to like my own posts

Sometimes I feel I have to qualify myself as a par golfer to encourage the proper responses... I feel like I come off like a jerk when I open with" I'm a par golfer" then ask my questions hoping the bogey+ golfers will hold back rookie advice and ballers will answer knowing I can understand and want the advanced responses lol....

How would WRX determine who is a scratch golfer and thus allowed to post in this proposed section? I hear you asking that only scratch or better would have the ability to post.

Nice idea but sounds like an administrative headache at best. Let alone a lot of work with low rewards for the WRX administrators.

How about just add the sub forum? I think that was the intent of the OP. Just like a lefty sub forum, I can post and look, but am not a lefty, so do not visit. I still recommend it for lefty golfers looking for info/gear.

PING G430 max 9° Ventus black 6x 
PING  G430 max 15º Ventus blue 7x

PING  G430 19º Ventus blue HB 9x

PING i230 4-AW PX 6.0

Vokey SM7 56.10° DGS400

Vokey SM7 60.04° DGS400

PING Ketsch 

"I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmean

> @matthewb said:

> How would WRX determine who is a scratch golfer and thus allowed to post in this proposed section? I hear you asking that only scratch or better would have the ability to post.

>

> Nice idea but sounds like an administrative headache at best. Let alone a lot of work with low rewards for the WRX administrators.

You'd have to have a moderator checking members ghin numbers for their handicap and giving them access. If you don't actualy check, then it's pretty useless. And like you said, an administrative headache if you have to check every request. It would be a useful subforum but not sure if excluding a large portion of the membership goes with the site's goals.

I've got a small list of names that I recognize and know are good players and knowledgable that I've accumulated in my head since I joined in 2007. I don't really put much stock into any other opinions I see on here. Really only talking about the equipment and swing related topics in that regard, though. It was easier to recognize who was who when the site was smaller. You'd see the same names a lot and kind of had an idea whether they knew what they were talking about. Since the site has grown so much, if I want an opinion I usually get it through PM or a certain memeber's WITB.

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

I do like the idea. In the old format we used to have our handicaps under our names. I have to admit I would look at someones handicap and that would inform me on the value of their advice on some subjects.

The definition of scratch would have to be recommended though and people would have to decide for themselves if they make the cut. For instance I have been a + cap but I am no longer and unlikely to be a + cap again anytime soon as I don't put the work in. Right now I am actually a 4 cap masquerading as 2cap and some times I am a 4 cap masquerading as a 8 cap :# Under the old format I think I used to list my cap as 3-6 or something like that as it move up and down all the time.

I dare say I’d beat you like a drum. And I don’t flight my driver. For side hills sometimes you go with it sometimes you fight it.

If you know what you’re about, it’s easy to separate the wheat from the chaff. No need to have a sub forum for scratch golfers. And like wobgon and 2bGood said, there are likely players that are no longer scratch that have forgotten more than you know.

Time marches on.

• Like 1

You guys are lookin at it too riged.... There are no rules who can use it. Doesnt matter if you used to be a baller 20 years ago you still understand it and can give good advice or a single cap or whatever. Jack can contribute I think lol. Its just a sub forum where most of the sticks can talk stuff out and hacks can check in too no biggie like any forum on WRX.

Doesnt have to be called scratch cause obviously some of you got stuck on that... call it the **Stick forum** for sticks lol...

There is a huge difference what a really good player is doing on a course and a guy trying to keep it under 100. Bogey+ golfers are not even daring to play shots scratch golfers are. Like a back dangerous pin.....a good player has many options controlling spin, height, low draw or club up for wind etc... where others just happy to finally hit a green..... So Different and so are the topics!!

b.helts gets it talkin crap out the gate and he cant even flight a driver haha.... the banter is even way different when its a 4 some of scratch goflers vs when chops are playin. That could be a topic in the new Stick forum lol!

• Like 1

> @Barfolomew said:

> Bogey+ golfers are not even daring to play shots scratch golfers are. Like a back dangerous pin.....

This is so not true. Bogie golfers are ALWAYS trying to pull off shots like this - often this is part of the reason they don't score lower.

I play with lots of high cappers, I tend to be way more conservative in my shot selection - particularly when I am in trouble. Mainly because I way more confident in being able to still make par after a chip out than they are.

I recall asking a 20 capper friend of mine why he attempted a low percentage shot. His answer was he mise-well go for broke, as he can screw up a hole form the middle of the fairway just as easy. Basically no matter where he was on the course, he was relying heavily on luck.

LOL

This is an interesting idea. I was going to, and still may, start a thread about whether ANY posters pay attention to WHO, or rather how good the poster is, that makes the post when considering whether or not to lend any weight to what the poster is saying.

I think that sentence was confusing but I'm too tired to re-write it. LOL

Of course, with the new site the handicaps don't show any more. I think it should be a required field on one's profile AND show under the avatar as it used to.

Anywho, the Forum proposed by ol' Barf' COULD be started and a sub-heading written saying something like "This forum is primarily for discussion between VERY good players. If you're not one of them think twice about adding your content".

As to who those good players are,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not sure. I'd think mid-single digits and better, either currently or in the past. ¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Not a scratch golfer commenting.

I think the rub here is you want to GolfWRX both find and vette the people you intereact with on certain topics, when it's not in their interest to do so.

Clicks equals $ AND policing the posters would be problematic as well.

Lest I say something to stall out the positive mometum of this post to this point, let me stop at saying I can absolutely see the reasons for concern I think the problem calls for a more elegant solution.

@Barfolomew

Wait so this is a post about opening a section for scratch only and a bunch of non scratch guys (ahem including me) respond lol. Honestly easy enough to enforce a GHIN linkage and automatically kick you out or not allow you to post if your GHIN isn't up to snuff. I don't see why they would spend the time to program that though, since it'll probably just be about 30 members maybe.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Might be the most arrogant idea I've ever heard. But what do I know, I'm only a 10 therefore I know nothing.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

This is a great idea, if it actually worked. I do t think it would. I’m a pretty low hc player and anytime I post a question, I just have to weed out the irrelevant responses. It’s pretty easy to tell a better player answering a question with experiences.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist 716 MB PW-6i / T100 4i-5i Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

> @LUMA said:

> It’s pretty easy to tell a better player answering a question with experiences.

Or a mid handicapper with 35 years of experience playing the game.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

@Barfolomew there was another thread where the OP was a 2 cap and he wanted feedback from players of a similar caliber. I immediately thought of this thread and I almost tagged you but...

Another thing you could do is you could just make a tag list then copy and paste it into your queries probably take you 10-20 mins and save you the time in the long run.

I'll tell you the truth though I'd want you to give a non scratch player credit for such an elegant solution.

73fi8r51a4pn.png

Only if I get a "like to wear jeans when I can" forum.

Start a thread, figure out how to keep interest going if it means that much, but the posts so far just suggest you want a place you can talk about what you want to talk about without "hacks" getting in your way, no matter how you phrase it.

Elitist is how it's coming off, don't really believe you have that intent, but that's how it's coming off to me.

Learn plenty as a non-scratch from scratch golfers and too many topics of every description where the aspects of the game intersect for all levels.

• Like 2

Arrogance, Elitism, God Complex...... WoW its good were talkin bout golf and not something serious hahaha. OK I threw in god complex lol..... Easy guys were just on a golf forum cool your jets.... lemme guess you guys get upset after bad shots.....just another reason you're not playin par golf lol!

Here are a few threads I'm gonna start soon that would be more fitting in a "better players" forum:

1. How little can you practice and still shoot even par?

2. What about your particular game makes you a par golfer? Is there 1 main thing that stands out or are you well rounded...discuss. I read Obee only drives as far as a 7 iron but still shoots under, that's amazing dont know if I could pull that off as I lean on Driver Putter...

3. What kind of ratio do you play for score or play for practice to maintain scratch golf or to see improvements, discuss the nuances between the 2. I know my friends will say how'd you shoot I respond I was working on my game... oh so you sucked and stopped keeping score haha.... noooo lol

It's funny how many of you are over thinking a "better players" forum or taking it personal. I don't see anyone getting upset that there is equipment **DESIGNED** for better players like blades vs shovels and why couldn't a forum follow suit..... doesn't make it wrong that there's something for everyone. Maybe its elitist to play blades..... ok I wont play my MP-14s anymore

Yes I am a professional master debater..... i just don't get paid for it