2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Soft vs hard balls

wmblake2000

Hi all. First time post for me and I find this an Interesting thread. I wonder what people’s commments would be if the MGS story had been about driver distance with different flex shafts instead of golf balls “soft shafts are slower! (Every golfer should play x flex to maximize distance)”?

My own opinion is that there are so many variables ( swing speed, launch angle, axis tilt) that there is no absolute. While the story is interesting, it doesn’t really help me on my quest for the perfect golf ball

> @Zengolfer36 said:

> Id say that its all smoke 'n mirrors. Some would say you lose distance with a soft ball but others would say you need that soft ball if you have a slower swing speed in order to compress it properly and get the more performance from it.

> IMO, it doesnt matter either way. Its all what you like.

This is pretty much what I am thinking. I like the feel of a softer ball, makes me feel more confident. I wish softer would spin a little more but I think I prefer feel/confidence to spin.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

There are a ton of variables that go into golf balls beyond compression, core size, number of layers, composition of layers, cover material, cover thickness, dimple type, number of dimples, etc. All things being identical, a lower compression ball should fly longer for slower swing speeds. Higher swing speeds can compress the higher compression balls so they benefit less from lower compression balls.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Even when I was a higher swing speed player playing Bridgestone B330 (now BX) and Pro V1x, and Z-Star, I tried the old Z-Star SL. Having grown up with wound balls and the Balata, the softer feel of the SL just instantly reminded me why we loved those balls and restored the forgotten “feel” I had been missing.

I may have seen a small decrease off driver, but irons were immediately 1/2 a club longer and felt so much smoother. As a higher spin player, I did notice spin more controlled and predictable. I also found it required less effort to flight a shot. Considering we hit more iron and wedge shots, confidence here and with the putter is more important to me than a few yards with 10 or 12 drivers during a round. I found this true when my swing speed was above 110 and especially now that it’s hovering at 100.

After finding the Bridgestone BRX after the Z-Star SL went away and playing it for years I have played and enjoy the Z-Star, Wilson Tour FG, and Q-Star, but haven’t found anything that combines a firm feel and softer compression to match the BRX. Every once in a while, I try others in search of my “unicorn”, in keeping with Wrx tradition, but I may have been it all along with the BRX.

FWIW, my personal longest drive was with the BRX.

This is why so many balls are made, I have found what my preferred feel and flight are, even though I can play other balls with comparable results. I think it’s all about what gives us the most comfort and confidence when standing over a shot.

• Like 1

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

> @Myherobobhope said:

> Ball speed isn’t everything... a few mph faster with worse launch characteristics will not go further.

>

> The difference is less noticeable the slower the swing speed

>

> Play the ball you like and are confident with. I feel like I hit the mtb black farther than the x... I haven’t tested side by side but prefer the black elsewhere and don’t care about a possible five yard upgrade.

> @Nessism said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > I mean the golf ball industry is full of smoke and mirrors....

>

> This sums it up. Some of my longest drives ever have come from the Wilson Duo U ball which is soft as a marshmallow. Plus, the difference in distance between balls is more dramatically influenced by strike quality than by ball variation.

>

>

Late to the party, but what the he11. Quoting a couple posts...

If you really look at the test numbers, the larger differences only really exist for the 115 mph swing. Which is something commonly accepted since the days of the Precept Laddie, the higher swingspeeds have problems with the low compression. Once you get lower, those differences are marginal.

Which means it's easily explainable by the slop in any such testing, unless enough of a population of instances exists to smooth out statistical issues, as North Butte pointed out. This test didn't get to that level.

Just as Nessism, I also didn't see issues with the Duo U, which I used quite a bit last year. Decent distance with both irons and driver. As a FWIW, I used to be slightly north of 110mph, but now at 55, I'm probably slightly south of that.

So, um, yeah.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @Myherobobhope said:

> > Ball speed isn’t everything... a few mph faster with worse launch characteristics will not go further.

> >

> > The difference is less noticeable the slower the swing speed

> >

> > Play the ball you like and are confident with. I feel like I hit the mtb black farther than the x... I haven’t tested side by side but prefer the black elsewhere and don’t care about a possible five yard upgrade.

>

> > @Nessism said:

> > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > I mean the golf ball industry is full of smoke and mirrors....

> >

> > This sums it up. Some of my longest drives ever have come from the Wilson Duo U ball which is soft as a marshmallow. Plus, the difference in distance between balls is more dramatically influenced by strike quality than by ball variation.

> >

> >

>

>

> Late to the party, but what the he11. Quoting a couple posts...

>

> If you really look at the test numbers, the larger differences only really exist for the 115 mph swing. Which is something commonly accepted since the days of the Precept Laddie, the higher swingspeeds have problems with the low compression. Once you get lower, those differences are marginal.

>

> Which means it's easily explainable by the slop in any such testing, unless enough of a population of instances exists to smooth out statistical issues, as North Butte pointed out. This test didn't get to that level.

>

> Just as Nessism, I also didn't see issues with the Duo U, which I used quite a bit last year. Decent distance with both irons and driver. As a FWIW, I used to be slightly north of 110mph, but now at 55, I'm probably slightly south of that.

>

> So, um, yeah.

Glad to see your thoughts, as always. The thing Nessism said that I really believe is true is the primary variable is my swing. The amount of variance in it makes it hard to really assess a ball. So often, what I end up believing about a ball depends on how well I played, which is how I translate superstition into science on a personal level... So I am looking at feel and how much spin I want around a green and think a 'middling' compression ball makes sense.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > > @Myherobobhope said:

> > > Ball speed isn’t everything... a few mph faster with worse launch characteristics will not go further.

> > >

> > > The difference is less noticeable the slower the swing speed

> > >

> > > Play the ball you like and are confident with. I feel like I hit the mtb black farther than the x... I haven’t tested side by side but prefer the black elsewhere and don’t care about a possible five yard upgrade.

> >

> > > @Nessism said:

> > > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > > I mean the golf ball industry is full of smoke and mirrors....

> > >

> > > This sums it up. Some of my longest drives ever have come from the Wilson Duo U ball which is soft as a marshmallow. Plus, the difference in distance between balls is more dramatically influenced by strike quality than by ball variation.

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> > Late to the party, but what the he11. Quoting a couple posts...

> >

> > If you really look at the test numbers, the larger differences only really exist for the 115 mph swing. Which is something commonly accepted since the days of the Precept Laddie, the higher swingspeeds have problems with the low compression. Once you get lower, those differences are marginal.

> >

> > Which means it's easily explainable by the slop in any such testing, unless enough of a population of instances exists to smooth out statistical issues, as North Butte pointed out. This test didn't get to that level.

> >

> > Just as Nessism, I also didn't see issues with the Duo U, which I used quite a bit last year. Decent distance with both irons and driver. As a FWIW, I used to be slightly north of 110mph, but now at 55, I'm probably slightly south of that.

> >

> > So, um, yeah.

>

> Glad to see your thoughts, as always. The thing Nessism said that I really believe is true is the primary variable is my swing. The amount of variance in it makes it hard to really assess a ball. So often, what I end up believing about a ball depends on how well I played, which is how I translate superstition into science on a personal level... So I am looking at feel and how much spin I want around a green and think a 'middling' compression ball makes sense.

>

>

I've been playing the MTB Black lately, thinking about taking two sleeves of Duo Urethane balls along for today's round. The problem with that idea is that I'm introducing another variable, putting my TW282 Golden Rams in the bag, also. I may hold off switching the ball for a couple rounds until I know how those irons play with something other than worn grips, LOL.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @Redbird said:

> Don’t rely on a single analysis done by ****, validity in any study means their results are verifiable and repeatable (which is never going to happen in a fast paced industry like golf equipment). Play what you feel comfortable with and what suits your eye on the course.

That's what I do. My ss in in the mid 90s,suggesting a softer ball. I am really turned off with the feel of a soft ball, especially off the driver and putter. I get the best feel/feedback from a harder ball. I generally like the feel of the Brx, zstar, etc. I feel I hit it further with a firmer ball as well.

> @wmblake2000 said:

> So now I am completely confused. Anyone have insight?

Yeah, My Golf Spy tested in controlled conditions with a swing robot. You're a human who played a few holes with a couple different balls, so the anecdotal results from your tiny sample size in variable conditions mean nothing to anyone but you. Which is fine. Play the ball that works for you.

It's not confusing at all unless you try to rely on the exact results from individual balls. The test is nowhere close to able to tell you exactly how one particular ball will work for your game.

But you can glean trends from their data that are pretty solid. They showed a very slight tendency for increasing ball speed with increasing "compression" rating but not enough to matter much. And they showed that the majority of urethane balls spin pretty good with irons and don't spin much off the driver.

Here's how to retain some sanity in trying to reach conclusions from this test:

1) Ignore one-off findings like a certain ball going wildly offline. Who knows what happens on one shot of hundreds or thousands.

2) Remember that the reliable precision of such tests are give or take several hundred rpm of spin, a degree or so of launch angle and a couple mph of ball speed. Any apparent differences smaller than that are random noise.

3) Your swing and your game may be substantially different than the test conditions.

If you keep those three things in mind you'll see that for the most part, you can choose a couple ball models that you think you'll like and try them yourself. After 3 or 4 rounds you'll more about a golf ball than any robot test could possibly tell you.

• Like 3

Got bored, decided to look up YouTube vids for a review of the Duo U or Pro. First hit was a TXG vid, a comparison between the Duo U and a ZStar XV. As usual, big hitter Matt was doing the swinging.

The ultimate results showed no difference with the iron he was hitting, and with driver, ball speed difference was 2mph (169 vs 171), resulting in 5 yds.

At lower swingspeeds, probably no appreciable difference, based on other data available.

It's all interesting.

Reading these threads about this ball test reminded me of a quote in one of Harvey Penick’s books,

I want to hit the ball with more backspin

Do you usually hit the ball past the hole?

No

Then why do you want to back it up?

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

> @new2g0lf said:

> There are a ton of variables that go into golf balls beyond compression, core size, number of layers, composition of layers, cover material, cover thickness, dimple type, number of dimples, etc. All things being identical, a lower compression ball should fly longer for slower swing speeds. Higher swing speeds can compress the higher compression balls so they benefit less from lower compression balls.

It's funny but that is the opposite conclusion in the study. Slower swing speed led to much tighter cluster of driver distances regardless of compression and the differences in distance/compression were easy to see with high swing speeds.

> @cxx said:

> > @new2g0lf said:

> > There are a ton of variables that go into golf balls beyond compression, core size, number of layers, composition of layers, cover material, cover thickness, dimple type, number of dimples, etc. All things being identical, a lower compression ball should fly longer for slower swing speeds. Higher swing speeds can compress the higher compression balls so they benefit less from lower compression balls.

>

> It's funny but that is the opposite conclusion in the study. Slower swing speed led to much tighter cluster of driver distances regardless of compression and the differences in distance/compression were easy to see with high swing speeds.

>

So why did the softer compression balls have faster ball speeds than harder compressions on wedge shots? I absolutely believe there is a correlation to swingspeed and maximizing it with compression.

> @Mikey5e said:

> I am at the point that I just want to hit the green and stay on without rolling off. That's all the action I need. Most golfers can't control their approach shot distance well enough to benefit from backing the ball up (except those in these forums).

I dont know why anyone would want it to back up- other than to feel cool to their friends or something. I know my carry distances for each club, drop and stop is perfect.

> @Red4282 said:

> > @cxx said:

> > > @new2g0lf said:

> > > There are a ton of variables that go into golf balls beyond compression, core size, number of layers, composition of layers, cover material, cover thickness, dimple type, number of dimples, etc. All things being identical, a lower compression ball should fly longer for slower swing speeds. Higher swing speeds can compress the higher compression balls so they benefit less from lower compression balls.

> >

> > It's funny but that is the opposite conclusion in the study. Slower swing speed led to much tighter cluster of driver distances regardless of compression and the differences in distance/compression were easy to see with high swing speeds.

> >

>

> So why did the softer compression balls have faster ball speeds than harder compressions on wedge shots? I absolutely believe there is a correlation to swingspeed and maximizing it with compression.

Probably because they spin less. The impact momentum goes into speed or spin. More spin you get the less speed.

> @cxx said:

> > @Red4282 said:

> > > @cxx said:

> > > > @new2g0lf said:

> > > > There are a ton of variables that go into golf balls beyond compression, core size, number of layers, composition of layers, cover material, cover thickness, dimple type, number of dimples, etc. All things being identical, a lower compression ball should fly longer for slower swing speeds. Higher swing speeds can compress the higher compression balls so they benefit less from lower compression balls.

> > >

> > > It's funny but that is the opposite conclusion in the study. Slower swing speed led to much tighter cluster of driver distances regardless of compression and the differences in distance/compression were easy to see with high swing speeds.

> > >

> >

> > So why did the softer compression balls have faster ball speeds than harder compressions on wedge shots? I absolutely believe there is a correlation to swingspeed and maximizing it with compression.

>

> Probably because they spin less. The impact momentum goes into speed or spin. More spin you get the less speed.

No, just no. If that were the case the same would be true on the driver, the lowest spinning ball would be faster, and thats not the case. A ball rebounds with energy, if it compresses too much it can actually lose its energy transfer (structurally it cant rebound at the same rate it was compressed) and same if it doesnt compress enough, it wont be efficient at translating that energy into speed. The softer compression balls compress too much on driver for faster players, but on irons it compresses at a much more efficient rebound rate. A harder ball will be maximized by longer clubs like driver, but wont be compressed enough to maintain it’s efficient transfer on shorter clubs( and in this case slower swing speeds). Bottom line- imo- play lower compression if your sub 90mph swing speed. Higher compression for everyone else.

> @Red4282 said:

> > @cxx said:

> > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > @cxx said:

> > > > > @new2g0lf said:

> > > > > There are a ton of variables that go into golf balls beyond compression, core size, number of layers, composition of layers, cover material, cover thickness, dimple type, number of dimples, etc. All things being identical, a lower compression ball should fly longer for slower swing speeds. Higher swing speeds can compress the higher compression balls so they benefit less from lower compression balls.

> > > >

> > > > It's funny but that is the opposite conclusion in the study. Slower swing speed led to much tighter cluster of driver distances regardless of compression and the differences in distance/compression were easy to see with high swing speeds.

> > > >

> > >

> > > So why did the softer compression balls have faster ball speeds than harder compressions on wedge shots? I absolutely believe there is a correlation to swingspeed and maximizing it with compression.

> >

> > Probably because they spin less. The impact momentum goes into speed or spin. More spin you get the less speed.

>

> No, just no. If that were the case the same would be true on the driver, the lowest spinning ball would be faster, and thats not the case. A ball rebounds with energy, if it compresses too much it can actually lose its energy transfer (structurally it cant rebound at the same rate it was compressed) and same if it doesnt compress enough, it wont be efficient at translating that energy into speed. The softer compression balls compress too much on driver for faster players, but on irons it compresses at a much more efficient rebound rate. A harder ball will be maximized by longer clubs like driver, but wont be compressed enough to maintain it’s efficient transfer on shorter clubs( and in this case slower swing speeds). Bottom line- imo- play lower compression if your sub 90mph swing speed. Higher compression for everyone else.

The question was about a wedge. I think it is true that lower compression balls spin less off high lofted clubs than high compression balls. The work necessary to spin up a ball from zero to 10000 rpm has to come from somewhere. The ball velocity is the remainder. More spin, less velocity. The inefficiencies of ball deformation resulting in heat takes its share, but I think it is a small component.

> @cxx said:

> > @Red4282 said:

> > > @cxx said:

> > > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > > @cxx said:

> > > > > > @new2g0lf said:

> > > > > > There are a ton of variables that go into golf balls beyond compression, core size, number of layers, composition of layers, cover material, cover thickness, dimple type, number of dimples, etc. All things being identical, a lower compression ball should fly longer for slower swing speeds. Higher swing speeds can compress the higher compression balls so they benefit less from lower compression balls.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's funny but that is the opposite conclusion in the study. Slower swing speed led to much tighter cluster of driver distances regardless of compression and the differences in distance/compression were easy to see with high swing speeds.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > So why did the softer compression balls have faster ball speeds than harder compressions on wedge shots? I absolutely believe there is a correlation to swingspeed and maximizing it with compression.

> > >

> > > Probably because they spin less. The impact momentum goes into speed or spin. More spin you get the less speed.

> >

> > No, just no. If that were the case the same would be true on the driver, the lowest spinning ball would be faster, and thats not the case. A ball rebounds with energy, if it compresses too much it can actually lose its energy transfer (structurally it cant rebound at the same rate it was compressed) and same if it doesnt compress enough, it wont be efficient at translating that energy into speed. The softer compression balls compress too much on driver for faster players, but on irons it compresses at a much more efficient rebound rate. A harder ball will be maximized by longer clubs like driver, but wont be compressed enough to maintain it’s efficient transfer on shorter clubs( and in this case slower swing speeds). Bottom line- imo- play lower compression if your sub 90mph swing speed. Higher compression for everyone else.

>

> The question was about a wedge. I think it is true that lower compression balls spin less off high lofted clubs than high compression balls. The work necessary to spin up a ball from zero to 10000 rpm has to come from somewhere. The ball velocity is the remainder. More spin, less velocity. The inefficiencies of ball deformation resulting in heat takes its share, but I think it is a small component.

Good point, generally speaking there is a correlation in spin and ball speed, But its not the end all be all. Chrome soft at 86 compression spun just as high with a wedge as many 100+ compression balls including my gamer tp5x. It also had higher ball speed than a 100 plus compression (albeit only 1). I think a fast swinger has more to lose hitting a low compression ball rather than a high conpression ball, but a slow swinger isnt going to see huge margins either way.

> @arbeck said:

> > @chippa13 said:

> > > @arbeck said:

> > > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > If my good and bad strikes vary by 2,500rpm (which I'm sure they do, at least, with a mid-iron) then should I buy the ball that's best for my 4,000rpm 7-iron shot or my 5,500rpm 7-iron shot?

> > > >

> > > > As for ball speed, all else being equal I'll certainly take 3mph extra ball speed off my driver. An extra eight yards is nothing to sneeze at. Don't care much about ball speed off the irons.

> > > >

> > > > But you're reading too much into an AVERAGE of 5 shots with one ball having 130mph ball speed and an AVERAGE of 5 shots with another ball having 133mph ball speed. Even with a robot the shots vary enough that the "true" difference might be 5mph or 1mph or even plausibly no difference at all. So we're not talking about a guaranteed "move every driver shot eight yards forward and drop in the fairway" difference. Just an apparent on-average modest difference based on very small samples.

> > >

> > > If you're spinning a 7i 5500 you want to get the ball with the most iron spin you can. Very few amateurs struggle from too much spin, and should do everything they can to keep spin up. Low spin balls are actually better for the very high speed and high spin player. That being said, better players tend to have more speed and more spin, and they generally will want a spinnier ball, because they know how to take the spin off when they need to.

> >

> > Remember, a ball that spins will spin in all directions. Anybody hitting unintentional bends should play a lower spin ball, not higher.

>

> This isn't true. If you hit a ball with a spin axis of 10* left and 9000 RPM of total spin, it will fly straighter than a ball that has the same spin axis and 4000 RPM of spin. Backspin actually keeps the ball flying straight.

This is why I moved away from the Callaway CF16s...great feel, consistency and distance, but I had a hard time with hitting big, high draws that looked good in the air but just kept drawing sometimes 20 yards. Irons with more spin cut down on the big movements for me.