How many have found their "utopia" golf ball?

jjfcpa

> @aztec575 said:

> The Nike 20Xi-X. I have about 15 left and I am searching for it’s replacement.

Live in the now!

Have you tried the Bridgestone?

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

> @munichop said:

> @Tanner25

> Another vote for the GS. Best ball I ever played. Still looking for a decent substitute and I have tried 14 other models and counting.

I feel your pain. Thank god, GamerSoft didn't come out in yellow. Had that been the case and they discontinued the ball, I'd pretty much have to quit the game, lol.

> @Myherobobhope said:

> > @aztec575 said:

> > The Nike 20Xi-X. I have about 15 left and I am searching for it’s replacement.

>

> Live in the now!

>

> Have you tried the Bridgestone?

>

Ha! I took a 4 year break from the game and am back into now. The Bridgestone Tour B X is a super nice ball. I played it for 3 holes last weekend. Not sold on it just yet

TM Sim 2 9º

Cobra Speedzone 3w
TM Sim 5w

TM 9790 Irons
TM Spider X Putter
Vokey SM8 50º, 54º, 58º

> @jjfcpa said:

> > @Hammer22 said:

> > > @jjfcpa said:

> > > ...but according to the research, softer balls do not go as far as firmer balls... PERIOD.

> >

> > Total B.S. My driver SS is close to 110 and I switched to the '18 Project (a) - hit it just as far, if not farther, than any of those "$50" balls. Its compression is right there with the Chrome Soft and close to the BXS, it feels fantastic, and there is no shortage of performance. That being said, I also switch around to the new TP5 (great deals on the Pix version), and even though it is slightly firmer, can't tell the difference off any clubs other than the driver - and not by much. Great deals can be had on the Project (a) - have gotten most of mine for <$25/dozen. Dean Snell gets the credit for that ball as well.

> >

> > > @Chadwickog said:

> > > I found it, it was called the Nike RZN Platinum. I have yet to find its replacement.

> >

> > Thought the same thing until I tried the TM balls. The Nike was fantastic other than it being slightly 'clicky', but sold off all 60 dozen I had stashed once I got hooked on the others.

> >

> >

>

> Not sure about the BS part. The difficult thing is trying to compare distance off the driver. About the only way I've been able to test the "softer" vs "harder" distance issue is to hit two balls, but the difference could be based on the quality of the strike. I don't know about you, but I'm not good enough to hit two balls exactly the same. My anecdotal experience is that firmer balls do indeed go further "for me". Not saying that it's true for everyone. I will admit one thing. When hitting a softer ball, it certainly feels like I am compressing it more and this may be why it seems to be a better strike and, it follows, is going to go further. But the real world comparisons I've done prove that feeling to be misleading and a firmer ball results in more distance.

What research shows the softer balls don't go as far? I know one website claimed that this year while others have provided data that suggests there is virtually no difference.

Personally, I've found some of the softer surlyn balls fly higher and not on as flat of a trajectory off the tee. Other soft surlyn balls seems to go just the same. Off the irons, I feel like the softer surlyn balls are marginally longer (spinning slightly less of course).

I get that a particular ball may not work well for any one individual. From what I've read, my impression is that compression itself isn't changing anything that most would be able to detect. I could be wrong though.

• Like 1

I believe mai golf Thai that under perfect conditions higher compression balls go further... actual golfers hitting balls on the course is significantly different.

Honestly. I spent the first half the season trying different stuff. I have found my ball (hopefully) and plan to game it as much as possible. Having consistent results is a huge win, even if they aren’t necessarily optimized.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

The harder balls being faster than the softer balls, period — this thing needs a bit of clarification, particularly since you said you’re a slower swing speed golfer like I am. I saw their data; I even bought the new Maxfli Tour CG because of it. It’s a great ball. I like it a lot. But I am here to tell you that I get 5 yards more carry on ALL clubs with the Wilson Duo Soft compared to the Tour CG. The height increase let’s me hold greens fairly comparatively — not saying equal — to the urethane. I understand where that other site is coming from but at that lower range, they even conceded that the data of slower speed golfers tightened together some. I play the Duo Soft now because I’m a Wilson Staff nut, and it’s now very close compared to my all-time ball, the Maxfli Softfli. We have to try these and get objective real world results here. Not discounting your experience, and I’m happy you play an awesome ball! I’m just not on that a-hard-ball-is-faster train that the other site played up a little bit for a tagline.

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)

I've always preferred a "crisp" or even "clicky" feel to a golf ball, but still want the spin you can get from something like a Pro V1. I've found a few unicorn balls over the years, all seem to have been manufactured by the same company ;)

Precept EV Extra Spin

Nike Tour Accuracy TW

Nike One

Nike RXN Tour Platinum / Black

Bridgestone Tour B XS

Currently using a mix of RZN and Tour B. I tend to favour the Tour B at the moment, but only because my long game is quite erratic and they are easier to replace than the Nikes.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

> @bodhi555 said:

> I've always preferred a "crisp" or even "clicky" feel to a golf ball, but still want the spin you can get from something like a Pro V1. I've found a few unicorn balls over the years, all seem to have been manufactured by the same company ;)

>

> Precept EV Extra Spin

> Nike Tour Accuracy TW

> Nike One

> Nike RXN Tour Platinum / Black

> Bridgestone Tour B XS

>

> Currently using a mix of RZN and Tour B. I tend to favour the Tour B at the moment, but only because my long game is quite erratic and they are easier to replace than the Nikes.

Bridgestone did not produce any of the RZN balls for Nike. I believe the last balls Bridgestone produced were the One Tour/D (2009-2010).

I'm finding the softer urethane balls the best for me:

1. Wilson FG Tour

2. Bridgstone bxs

3. Srixon zstar

4. Tp5

5. Wilson duo Professional

"After the big ball test" I tried the MTBX, saw none of the distance gains claimed, noticed a steeper decent angle and its durability is the worst.

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

I used to think that the Nike RZN Tour Black or RZN Speed White balls were perfect for me. I bought dozens of them. Then I tried the 2019 Pro V1. No comparison. It’s the perfect ball for me. My swing hasn’t changed nor has my swing speed but the ball is now further down the course after every shot. I never liked the earlier Pro V1 but the 2019 ball is definitely juiced.

> @Mikey5e said:

> Whatever premium golf ball I find a sale on or win as a prize. Right now I have Titleist Pro v1x, Bridgestone Brx, TP5, Chrome soft, Srixon Z Star, and even e12's. They all seem to work well for me.

Interesting that e12’s (surlyn) are on that list with the others (all urethane)?

Im currently infatuated with 2019 tp5x- i was sick of sucking back every full shot 90-140 yards nearly off the green. Tp5x drop and stop, maybe a foot or two of suck back. Still enough spin for partial shots, ive heard of people complaining about hitting more flyers than normal, but i havent seen such. And the feel is perfect for me. Not too firm, not too soft. Driver launches high but flat ?

> @Hammer22 said:

> > @jjfcpa said:

> > ...but according to the research, softer balls do not go as far as firmer balls... PERIOD.

>

> Total B.S. My driver SS is close to 110 and I switched to the '18 Project (a) - hit it just as far, if not farther, than any of those "$50" balls. Its compression is right there with the Chrome Soft and close to the BXS, it feels fantastic, and there is no shortage of performance. That being said, I also switch around to the new TP5 (great deals on the Pix version), and even though it is slightly firmer, can't tell the difference off any clubs other than the driver - and not by much. Great deals can be had on the Project (a) - have gotten most of mine for <$25/dozen. Dean Snell gets the credit for that ball as well.

>

> > @Chadwickog said:

> > I found it, it was called the Nike RZN Platinum. I have yet to find its replacement.

>

> Thought the same thing until I tried the TM balls. The Nike was fantastic other than it being slightly 'clicky', but sold off all 60 dozen I had stashed once I got hooked on the others.

>

>

60 dozen??

That’s a bunch of green bananas man......

> @lchang said:

> > @Mikey5e said:

> > Whatever premium golf ball I find a sale on or win as a prize. Right now I have Titleist Pro v1x, Bridgestone Brx, TP5, Chrome soft, Srixon Z Star, and even e12's. They all seem to work well for me.

>

> Interesting that e12’s (surlyn) are on that list with the others (all urethane)?

Actually, I won a dozen of them as a door prize and put them in play to see how they would workout. I don't really care for them that much as I can't work them as well as the premium balls. I just wanted to try them to see how the new cover would react on the greens and I'm not very impressed with them.

> @gpleonard said:

> For me it has been the Srixon Z Star. The ball is a great all around performer for my game.

Same here (Z Star XV). Played all of the premium and DTC offerings and the Srixons work so well for me, sometimes too well on short irons and extra yards.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

I'm not sure it's my utopia ball, but I'm settled on the MTB Black for the rest of the year. Works for me from everywhere on the course. Like the feel, like the look and it also physically FEELS right to me (I like my balls glossy). $30 a dozen, and Dean Snell seems to be a good dude invested in his company and it's success... Not sure what else to ask for.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

For me and my slow swing speed Pro V1x .

ATTENTION:  Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice. 

Ping G425 Max / Testing G430 Max 10k

Titleist u505  2 Iron /

Titleist 704.CB 3-PW Irons / Testing PXG 0211st 5 - W Irons

Titleist Wedges-S Grind /

SeeMore M7x 

I've been playing the Z Star, Tour B220 RX, Duo U, even the Ksig3. Most any urethane ball that's on the softer side of average and I'm golden. A good strike fly far and I can stop flops and shorter wedge shots on the green just fine. To be honest, I've found the concept of "utopia ball" completely foreign, since even though I'm a half way decent player that shoots in the range of 80 still, the variation in my strikes is about 10X more than variation between different balls so it basically doesn't matter what ball I use (within reason.)

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

2013 or 2019 Pro V1x

2017 AVX

2014 B330

Any of those four models have been indistinguishable from "utopia" for me. They seem as long as anything for my game, they spin as well as I could ever ask and I've found them very predictable in terms of distance and how they react on and around the green. Plus they all three have a nice, high flight off the irons.

But I could list a dozen other models that worked virtually as well for me as those four. Those are just the ones I stuck with (more than a year at a stretch for all but the latest Pro V1x) long enough to become thoroughly familiar with them. If I played for a hundred or so round with a Pro V1 or a TP5 or an original 4pc K-Sig or a MTB Black I'll bet I would be adding them to the "utopia" list.

That said, there are several balls I would not care to play again after having tried them for a while and found them disappointing in one way or another. The 3pc K-Sig, first-gen MTB Red, any of the Srixon Z-Star variants, the original Chrome Soft, those old Nike "RZN" balls, older models of Callaway (Tour iZ and iX), early generations of Pro V1 (2011 and earlier) all of those I tried briefly and moved on rather quickly. Too many balls out there suit me, no need to keep trying to force the issue with one that does not.

Titleist AVX. When it first came out I thought Titleist had lost their minds. "Who in the hell is gonna pay $50 a box for a ball that's not even tour quality?" Then I played it. It's straighter and longer than any ball I've ever put in the bag and I've been playing for 37 years. It spins more than enough for me off the irons and around the greens, and is soft off the putter which I love. It's designed to be low trajectory, but I've always been a high ball hitter so my new trajectory is perfect. I've played it for a year and dropped my index from 10.0 to 8.0.

Been playing CS X since they were introduced, work perfectly for me, then again, I can play about any urethane ball after about 9 holes of getting used to it.

For winter/cold weather, Vice Pro/ProSoft in Lime green work good enough, though I have found in warm weather I prefer the CS X

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

For me it’s the Vice Pro Plus. I do have an occasional affair with the AVX, but because she’s a high priced side chick, I keep going back to my main girl the Pro Plus. The Pro Plus does everything I need her to do and I seem to shoot by best scores whenever she’s on the tee and on the greens. Again, I feel like I can play equally as strong with the AVX, but I get five Vice Pro Plus for $125 versus just one dozen AVX for $50. More bang for my buck with the Vice.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour