2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Finally did it fitted for new clubs

golfman1

Got fitted for new clubs yesterday not getting any younger and seen several post on this. Basically wanting a forged shovel ended up getting the Callaway Apex. But found out something interesting during the fitting. For the past several years have always battled the lefts from time to time always hit a draw. During the lie angle portion my fitter took a look at the tape without me knowing the result, and got me another club to swing and bam I started hitting a straight and could actually hit a little drop out of the sky fade. What's weird is that he gave me a club 1.5 degree upright. Most of the time its the opposite (upright goes left, flat goes right). I play in the high single digit handicap range but has anyone else ran in to this.

I recently went to a fit for the Apex Forged line this week. Walked in expecting to play everything standard and was told I needed to be in a 2* upright iron and 1/2" extra in shaft length. Contact was night and day better than the standard length and 1/2" a degree upright I was playing in my self fit i210's prior to this. Length made a huge difference as well.

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Probably the worst thing is learning to shape the shot when you had a pretty dead straight shot. One you go face angle centric in your thinking, it can take a long time to get back to square.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

> @"Jack Pearsall" said:

> Probably the worst thing is learning to shape the shot when you had a pretty dead straight shot. One you go face angle centric in your thinking, it can take a long time to get back to square.

I was an open faced player with 2* up lies and hit a straight ball, for the most part. Tried to learn a draw and when I finally did, my misses became horrible left pulls.

Learning to be a square faced player with 1* up clubs now, but square looks closed to me. LOL

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Back too basics is go too Range and aim at 100m and 150m Targets and hit them dead on and work out What If Any compensations you adapted to hit there! I was Ping blue 20 yrs ago but after full chiropractic rebuild now Ping red....i always use marker pens far Face Impact test and look at Sole Pattern. JACK P says it all hit em Square!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Yes tape was use on face, and was hitting it dead middle of clubface after loft adjustment. Playing with standard 2013 Callaway X forged now. I remember about 20 years ago played with Ping ISI BECU irons blue dot always hit those pretty well. Which I believe in that time for ping with those clubs blue dot = 1 upright.

> @golfman1 said:

> Got fitted for new clubs yesterday not getting any younger and seen several post on this. Basically wanting a forged shovel ended up getting the Callaway Apex. But found out something interesting during the fitting. For the past several years have always battled the lefts from time to time always hit a draw. During the lie angle portion my fitter took a look at the tape without me knowing the result, and got me another club to swing and bam I started hitting a straight and could actually hit a little drop out of the sky fade. What's weird is that he gave me a club 1.5 degree upright. Most of the time its the opposite (upright goes left, flat goes right). I play in the high single digit handicap range but has anyone else ran in to this.

Little known fact is that sometimes if something is too flat you can actually hook it more because the toe catches just a hair and you flip your hands quickly over to "save it" but it causes that snap. Also, flatter lies will tend to bring the strike more toe side, and what happens when you hit the toe? It goes left in a hurry for a right handed player.

• Like 1

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

> @phatchrisrules said:

> > @golfman1 said:

> > Got fitted for new clubs yesterday not getting any younger and seen several post on this. Basically wanting a forged shovel ended up getting the Callaway Apex. But found out something interesting during the fitting. For the past several years have always battled the lefts from time to time always hit a draw. During the lie angle portion my fitter took a look at the tape without me knowing the result, and got me another club to swing and bam I started hitting a straight and could actually hit a little drop out of the sky fade. What's weird is that he gave me a club 1.5 degree upright. Most of the time its the opposite (upright goes left, flat goes right). I play in the high single digit handicap range but has anyone else ran in to this.

>

> Little known fact is that sometimes if something is too flat you can actually hook it more because the toe catches just a hair and you flip your hands quickly over to "save it" but it causes that snap. Also, flatter lies will tend to bring the strike more toe side, and what happens when you hit the toe? It goes left in a hurry for a right handed player.

Catches and you correct it? In a properly hit iron shot, the ball is long gone from the face before the clubhead can catch on anything (as it hit the ground) and the ball is even further gone from the face before you feel the contact.

> @JCAG said:

> > @phatchrisrules said:

> > > @golfman1 said:

> > > Got fitted for new clubs yesterday not getting any younger and seen several post on this. Basically wanting a forged shovel ended up getting the Callaway Apex. But found out something interesting during the fitting. For the past several years have always battled the lefts from time to time always hit a draw. During the lie angle portion my fitter took a look at the tape without me knowing the result, and got me another club to swing and bam I started hitting a straight and could actually hit a little drop out of the sky fade. What's weird is that he gave me a club 1.5 degree upright. Most of the time its the opposite (upright goes left, flat goes right). I play in the high single digit handicap range but has anyone else ran in to this.

> >

> > Little known fact is that sometimes if something is too flat you can actually hook it more because the toe catches just a hair and you flip your hands quickly over to "save it" but it causes that snap. Also, flatter lies will tend to bring the strike more toe side, and what happens when you hit the toe? It goes left in a hurry for a right handed player.

>

> Catches and you correct it? In a properly hit iron shot, the ball is long gone from the face before the clubhead can catch on anything (as it hit the ground) and the ball is even further gone from the face before you feel the contact.

Maybe thats why its little known! But yea that sounds completely rubbish.

> @JCAG said:

> > > @golfman1 said:

> > > Got fitted for new clubs yesterday not getting any younger and seen several post on this. Basically wanting a forged shovel ended up getting the Callaway Apex. But found out something interesting during the fitting. For the past several years have always battled the lefts from time to time always hit a draw. During the lie angle portion my fitter took a look at the tape without me knowing the result, and got me another club to swing and bam I started hitting a straight and could actually hit a little drop out of the sky fade. What's weird is that he gave me a club 1.5 degree upright. Most of the time its the opposite (upright goes left, flat goes right). I play in the high single digit handicap range but has anyone else ran in to this.

> >

> > Little known fact is that sometimes if something is too flat you can actually hook it more because the toe catches just a hair and you flip your hands quickly over to "save it" but it causes that snap. Also, flatter lies will tend to bring the strike more toe side, and what happens when you hit the toe? It goes left in a hurry for a right handed player.

>

> Catches and you correct it? In a properly hit iron shot, the ball is long gone from the face before the clubhead can catch on anything (as it hit the ground) and the ball is even further gone from the face before you feel the contact.

I know that. But if the lie angle is too flat coupled with the toe droop caused by the natural weight of the club head at speed it can cause the toe to deflect downward at a faster rate causing either a toe strike, or if the person is a very handsy player, sometimes that stab-flip-hook. I'm not saying that is the case for everybody but it can fix some people. I've seen it 3 times now, one of them my co-worker at a golf shop who can freely bend his irons at will if it didn't work and he has kept them as is.

> @Red4282 said:

> > @JCAG said:

> > > @phatchrisrules said:

> > > > @golfman1 said:

> > > > Got fitted for new clubs yesterday not getting any younger and seen several post on this. Basically wanting a forged shovel ended up getting the Callaway Apex. But found out something interesting during the fitting. For the past several years have always battled the lefts from time to time always hit a draw. During the lie angle portion my fitter took a look at the tape without me knowing the result, and got me another club to swing and bam I started hitting a straight and could actually hit a little drop out of the sky fade. What's weird is that he gave me a club 1.5 degree upright. Most of the time its the opposite (upright goes left, flat goes right). I play in the high single digit handicap range but has anyone else ran in to this.

> > >

> > > Little known fact is that sometimes if something is too flat you can actually hook it more because the toe catches just a hair and you flip your hands quickly over to "save it" but it causes that snap. Also, flatter lies will tend to bring the strike more toe side, and what happens when you hit the toe? It goes left in a hurry for a right handed player.

> >

> > Catches and you correct it? In a properly hit iron shot, the ball is long gone from the face before the clubhead can catch on anything (as it hit the ground) and the ball is even further gone from the face before you feel the contact.

>

> Maybe thats why its little known! But yea that sounds completely rubbish.

It's not, but okay. I've seen it happen many times using a GCQuad. See my response above.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

> @phatchrisrules said:

> > @JCAG said:

> > > > @golfman1 said:

> > > > Got fitted for new clubs yesterday not getting any younger and seen several post on this. Basically wanting a forged shovel ended up getting the Callaway Apex. But found out something interesting during the fitting. For the past several years have always battled the lefts from time to time always hit a draw. During the lie angle portion my fitter took a look at the tape without me knowing the result, and got me another club to swing and bam I started hitting a straight and could actually hit a little drop out of the sky fade. What's weird is that he gave me a club 1.5 degree upright. Most of the time its the opposite (upright goes left, flat goes right). I play in the high single digit handicap range but has anyone else ran in to this.

> > >

> > > Little known fact is that sometimes if something is too flat you can actually hook it more because the toe catches just a hair and you flip your hands quickly over to "save it" but it causes that snap. Also, flatter lies will tend to bring the strike more toe side, and what happens when you hit the toe? It goes left in a hurry for a right handed player.

> >

> > Catches and you correct it? In a properly hit iron shot, the ball is long gone from the face before the clubhead can catch on anything (as it hit the ground) and the ball is even further gone from the face before you feel the contact.

>

> I know that. But if the lie angle is too flat coupled with the toe droop caused by the natural weight of the club head at speed it can cause the toe to deflect downward at a faster rate causing either a toe strike, or if the person is a very handsy player, sometimes that stab-flip-hook. I'm not saying that is the case for everybody but it can fix some people. I've seen it 3 times now, one of them my co-worker at a golf shop who can freely bend his irons at will if it didn't work and he has kept them as is.

>

> > @Red4282 said:

> > > @JCAG said:

> > > > @phatchrisrules said:

> > > > > @golfman1 said:

> > > > > Got fitted for new clubs yesterday not getting any younger and seen several post on this. Basically wanting a forged shovel ended up getting the Callaway Apex. But found out something interesting during the fitting. For the past several years have always battled the lefts from time to time always hit a draw. During the lie angle portion my fitter took a look at the tape without me knowing the result, and got me another club to swing and bam I started hitting a straight and could actually hit a little drop out of the sky fade. What's weird is that he gave me a club 1.5 degree upright. Most of the time its the opposite (upright goes left, flat goes right). I play in the high single digit handicap range but has anyone else ran in to this.

> > > >

> > > > Little known fact is that sometimes if something is too flat you can actually hook it more because the toe catches just a hair and you flip your hands quickly over to "save it" but it causes that snap. Also, flatter lies will tend to bring the strike more toe side, and what happens when you hit the toe? It goes left in a hurry for a right handed player.

> > >

> > > Catches and you correct it? In a properly hit iron shot, the ball is long gone from the face before the clubhead can catch on anything (as it hit the ground) and the ball is even further gone from the face before you feel the contact.

> >

> > Maybe thats why its little known! But yea that sounds completely rubbish.

>

> It's not, but okay. I've seen it happen many times using a GCQuad. See my response above.

Flip stab hook??? When the toe catches the ground it will open the face not hood it. And nobody can flip there hands in reaction to this. Its like micro seconds...??

> @Red4282 said:

> > > @JCAG said:

> > > > > @golfman1 said:

> > > > > Got fitted for new clubs yesterday not getting any younger and seen several post on this. Basically wanting a forged shovel ended up getting the Callaway Apex. But found out something interesting during the fitting. For the past several years have always battled the lefts from time to time always hit a draw. During the lie angle portion my fitter took a look at the tape without me knowing the result, and got me another club to swing and bam I started hitting a straight and could actually hit a little drop out of the sky fade. What's weird is that he gave me a club 1.5 degree upright. Most of the time its the opposite (upright goes left, flat goes right). I play in the high single digit handicap range but has anyone else ran in to this.

> > > >

> > > > Little known fact is that sometimes if something is too flat you can actually hook it more because the toe catches just a hair and you flip your hands quickly over to "save it" but it causes that snap. Also, flatter lies will tend to bring the strike more toe side, and what happens when you hit the toe? It goes left in a hurry for a right handed player.

> > >

> > > Catches and you correct it? In a properly hit iron shot, the ball is long gone from the face before the clubhead can catch on anything (as it hit the ground) and the ball is even further gone from the face before you feel the contact.

> >

> > I know that. But if the lie angle is too flat coupled with the toe droop caused by the natural weight of the club head at speed it can cause the toe to deflect downward at a faster rate causing either a toe strike, or if the person is a very handsy player, sometimes that stab-flip-hook. I'm not saying that is the case for everybody but it can fix some people. I've seen it 3 times now, one of them my co-worker at a golf shop who can freely bend his irons at will if it didn't work and he has kept them as is.

> >

> > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > @JCAG said:

> > > > > @phatchrisrules said:

> > > > > > @golfman1 said:

> > > > > > Got fitted for new clubs yesterday not getting any younger and seen several post on this. Basically wanting a forged shovel ended up getting the Callaway Apex. But found out something interesting during the fitting. For the past several years have always battled the lefts from time to time always hit a draw. During the lie angle portion my fitter took a look at the tape without me knowing the result, and got me another club to swing and bam I started hitting a straight and could actually hit a little drop out of the sky fade. What's weird is that he gave me a club 1.5 degree upright. Most of the time its the opposite (upright goes left, flat goes right). I play in the high single digit handicap range but has anyone else ran in to this.

> > > > >

> > > > > Little known fact is that sometimes if something is too flat you can actually hook it more because the toe catches just a hair and you flip your hands quickly over to "save it" but it causes that snap. Also, flatter lies will tend to bring the strike more toe side, and what happens when you hit the toe? It goes left in a hurry for a right handed player.

> > > >

> > > > Catches and you correct it? In a properly hit iron shot, the ball is long gone from the face before the clubhead can catch on anything (as it hit the ground) and the ball is even further gone from the face before you feel the contact.

> > >

> > > Maybe thats why its little known! But yea that sounds completely rubbish.

> >

> > It's not, but okay. I've seen it happen many times using a GCQuad. See my response above.

>

> Flip stab hook??? When the toe catches the ground it will open the face not hood it. And nobody can flip there hands in reaction to this. Its like micro seconds...??

I'm just telling you what I have seen. Again, maybe it's not everyone. Maybe it's not even 5% of the golf population, but I have 10000% seen a very toe down lie angle hook the golf ball with a squareish face and not massively inside club path. That is the only thing I can think of that would explain it.

> @phatchrisrules said:

> > @Red4282 said:

> > > > @JCAG said:

> > > > > @phatchrisrules said:

> > > > > > @golfman1 said:

> > > > > > Got fitted for new clubs yesterday not getting any younger and seen several post on this. Basically wanting a forged shovel ended up getting the Callaway Apex. But found out something interesting during the fitting. For the past several years have always battled the lefts from time to time always hit a draw. During the lie angle portion my fitter took a look at the tape without me knowing the result, and got me another club to swing and bam I started hitting a straight and could actually hit a little drop out of the sky fade. What's weird is that he gave me a club 1.5 degree upright. Most of the time its the opposite (upright goes left, flat goes right). I play in the high single digit handicap range but has anyone else ran in to this.

> > > > >

> > > > > Little known fact is that sometimes if something is too flat you can actually hook it more because the toe catches just a hair and you flip your hands quickly over to "save it" but it causes that snap. Also, flatter lies will tend to bring the strike more toe side, and what happens when you hit the toe? It goes left in a hurry for a right handed player.

> > > >

> > > > Catches and you correct it? In a properly hit iron shot, the ball is long gone from the face before the clubhead can catch on anything (as it hit the ground) and the ball is even further gone from the face before you feel the contact.

> > >

> > > I know that. But if the lie angle is too flat coupled with the toe droop caused by the natural weight of the club head at speed it can cause the toe to deflect downward at a faster rate causing either a toe strike, or if the person is a very handsy player, sometimes that stab-flip-hook. I'm not saying that is the case for everybody but it can fix some people. I've seen it 3 times now, one of them my co-worker at a golf shop who can freely bend his irons at will if it didn't work and he has kept them as is.

> > >

> > > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > > @JCAG said:

> > > > > > @phatchrisrules said:

> > > > > > > @golfman1 said:

> > > > > > > Got fitted for new clubs yesterday not getting any younger and seen several post on this. Basically wanting a forged shovel ended up getting the Callaway Apex. But found out something interesting during the fitting. For the past several years have always battled the lefts from time to time always hit a draw. During the lie angle portion my fitter took a look at the tape without me knowing the result, and got me another club to swing and bam I started hitting a straight and could actually hit a little drop out of the sky fade. What's weird is that he gave me a club 1.5 degree upright. Most of the time its the opposite (upright goes left, flat goes right). I play in the high single digit handicap range but has anyone else ran in to this.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Little known fact is that sometimes if something is too flat you can actually hook it more because the toe catches just a hair and you flip your hands quickly over to "save it" but it causes that snap. Also, flatter lies will tend to bring the strike more toe side, and what happens when you hit the toe? It goes left in a hurry for a right handed player.

> > > > >

> > > > > Catches and you correct it? In a properly hit iron shot, the ball is long gone from the face before the clubhead can catch on anything (as it hit the ground) and the ball is even further gone from the face before you feel the contact.

> > > >

> > > > Maybe thats why its little known! But yea that sounds completely rubbish.

> > >

> > > It's not, but okay. I've seen it happen many times using a GCQuad. See my response above.

> >

> > Flip stab hook??? When the toe catches the ground it will open the face not hood it. And nobody can flip there hands in reaction to this. Its like micro seconds...??

>

> I'm just telling you what I have seen. Again, maybe it's not everyone. Maybe it's not even 5% of the golf population, but I have 10000% seen a very toe down lie angle hook the golf ball with a squareish face and not massively inside club path. That is the only thing I can think of that would explain it.

Are they starting left and bending left? Or starting online or slightly right and snapping left?

> @Red4282 said:

> > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > > @JCAG said:

> > > > > > @phatchrisrules said:

> > > > > > > @golfman1 said:

> > > > > > > Got fitted for new clubs yesterday not getting any younger and seen several post on this. Basically wanting a forged shovel ended up getting the Callaway Apex. But found out something interesting during the fitting. For the past several years have always battled the lefts from time to time always hit a draw. During the lie angle portion my fitter took a look at the tape without me knowing the result, and got me another club to swing and bam I started hitting a straight and could actually hit a little drop out of the sky fade. What's weird is that he gave me a club 1.5 degree upright. Most of the time its the opposite (upright goes left, flat goes right). I play in the high single digit handicap range but has anyone else ran in to this.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Little known fact is that sometimes if something is too flat you can actually hook it more because the toe catches just a hair and you flip your hands quickly over to "save it" but it causes that snap. Also, flatter lies will tend to bring the strike more toe side, and what happens when you hit the toe? It goes left in a hurry for a right handed player.

> > > > >

> > > > > Catches and you correct it? In a properly hit iron shot, the ball is long gone from the face before the clubhead can catch on anything (as it hit the ground) and the ball is even further gone from the face before you feel the contact.

> > > >

> > > > I know that. But if the lie angle is too flat coupled with the toe droop caused by the natural weight of the club head at speed it can cause the toe to deflect downward at a faster rate causing either a toe strike, or if the person is a very handsy player, sometimes that stab-flip-hook. I'm not saying that is the case for everybody but it can fix some people. I've seen it 3 times now, one of them my co-worker at a golf shop who can freely bend his irons at will if it didn't work and he has kept them as is.

> > > >

> > > > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > > > @JCAG said:

> > > > > > > @phatchrisrules said:

> > > > > > > > @golfman1 said:

> > > > > > > > Got fitted for new clubs yesterday not getting any younger and seen several post on this. Basically wanting a forged shovel ended up getting the Callaway Apex. But found out something interesting during the fitting. For the past several years have always battled the lefts from time to time always hit a draw. During the lie angle portion my fitter took a look at the tape without me knowing the result, and got me another club to swing and bam I started hitting a straight and could actually hit a little drop out of the sky fade. What's weird is that he gave me a club 1.5 degree upright. Most of the time its the opposite (upright goes left, flat goes right). I play in the high single digit handicap range but has anyone else ran in to this.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Little known fact is that sometimes if something is too flat you can actually hook it more because the toe catches just a hair and you flip your hands quickly over to "save it" but it causes that snap. Also, flatter lies will tend to bring the strike more toe side, and what happens when you hit the toe? It goes left in a hurry for a right handed player.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Catches and you correct it? In a properly hit iron shot, the ball is long gone from the face before the clubhead can catch on anything (as it hit the ground) and the ball is even further gone from the face before you feel the contact.

> > > > >

> > > > > Maybe thats why its little known! But yea that sounds completely rubbish.

> > > >

> > > > It's not, but okay. I've seen it happen many times using a GCQuad. See my response above.

> > >

> > > Flip stab hook??? When the toe catches the ground it will open the face not hood it. And nobody can flip there hands in reaction to this. Its like micro seconds...??

> >

> > I'm just telling you what I have seen. Again, maybe it's not everyone. Maybe it's not even 5% of the golf population, but I have 10000% seen a very toe down lie angle hook the golf ball with a squareish face and not massively inside club path. That is the only thing I can think of that would explain it.

>

> Are they starting left and bending left? Or starting online or slightly right and snapping left?

Right and snap left.

If they are starting right there is no way the clubface is closed. A few degrees flat is minimal compared to a few degrees in to out. The in to out is causing the ball go left. The flat lie is causing the ball to start right(even with square face) Ball path is always influenced by face angle. Club path influences curvature. Theres no way a toe digging in is causing it to close and hook.

I can hook a flat lie iron around a cheerio. Play mine now at 2* upright as well. Toe was digging on me as well. My Miss WAS a hook. I played a fade for years and learned to finally hit a draw that progressively got worse. Finally got back to my fade with 2* upright on my irons. So yes, I completely understand where you’re coming from. One day low n behold, the fade came back. I’m a little OTT sometimes and wanna come up out of the shot, again, that’s “my swing”! I’m a high single, barely into double digit HC myself. I can attest to what your saying. 2 neck fusions, and a severely dislocated shoulder from an old MX accident will wreck havoc on a golf swing.

• Like 1

> @boggyman said:

> I can hook a flat lie iron around a cheerio. Play mine now at 2* upright as well. Toe was digging on me as well. My Miss WAS a hook. I played a fade for years and learned to finally hit a draw that progressively got worse. Finally got back to my fade with 2* upright on my irons. So yes, I completely understand where you’re coming from. One day low n behold, the fade came back. I’m a little OTT sometimes and wanna come up out of the shot, again, that’s “my swing”! I’m a high single, barely into double digit HC myself. I can attest to what your saying. 2 neck fusions, and a severely dislocated shoulder from an old MX accident will wreck havoc on a golf swing.

Thats great, no one is saying you cant fade or draw based on lie. If anything a flat lie is going to either push, or draw (since its start line will be right with a square face), and whether or not its curving or not will be determined by your path. Upright will start left of target(with square face of course) and depending on path will pull or fade. But a “toe digging in” is NOT causing a hook. The toe digging in just might happen to be a coincidental consequence from your swing path

• Like 1

Agreed. Toe digging is due to how club is delivered. It sure helped me getting my irons bent upright. Swing your swing?> @Red4282 said:

> > @boggyman said:

> > I can hook a flat lie iron around a cheerio. Play mine now at 2* upright as well. Toe was digging on me as well. My Miss WAS a hook. I played a fade for years and learned to finally hit a draw that progressively got worse. Finally got back to my fade with 2* upright on my irons. So yes, I completely understand where you’re coming from. One day low n behold, the fade came back. I’m a little OTT sometimes and wanna come up out of the shot, again, that’s “my swing”! I’m a high single, barely into double digit HC myself. I can attest to what your saying. 2 neck fusions, and a severely dislocated shoulder from an old MX accident will wreck havoc on a golf swing.

>

> Thats great, no one is saying you cant fade or draw based on lie. If anything a flat lie is going to either push, or draw (since its start line will be right with a square face), and whether or not its curving or not will be determined by your path. Upright will start left of target(with square face of course) and depending on path will pull or fade. But a “toe digging in” is NOT causing a hook. The toe digging in just might happen to be a coincidental consequence from your swing path

> @phatchrisrules said:

> > @golfman1 said:

> > Got fitted for new clubs yesterday not getting any younger and seen several post on this. Basically wanting a forged shovel ended up getting the Callaway Apex. But found out something interesting during the fitting. For the past several years have always battled the lefts from time to time always hit a draw. During the lie angle portion my fitter took a look at the tape without me knowing the result, and got me another club to swing and bam I started hitting a straight and could actually hit a little drop out of the sky fade. What's weird is that he gave me a club 1.5 degree upright. Most of the time its the opposite (upright goes left, flat goes right). I play in the high single digit handicap range but has anyone else ran in to this.

>

> Little known fact is that sometimes if something is too flat you can actually hook it more because the toe catches just a hair and you flip your hands quickly over to "save it" but it causes that snap. Also, flatter lies will tend to bring the strike more toe side, and what happens when you hit the toe? It goes left in a hurry for a right handed player.

This was the exact result from an iron fitting I went through a couple weeks ago. I went from 2 degrees flat to 1 up, and I'm hitting the ball out of the center much better now.

Golf is too individualistic to generalize this, but dynamic lie angle fitting can definitely improve your strike pattern.

• Like 1

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm in the same category as bogyman and goosehook. I would have never thought that going upright was a fix for me but as stated in the above comments it just depends on your swing. I've played for years in the mid single and high single digit handicap range. Not getting any younger as I'm nearing 51 so thought I was ready for what some call a Forged Shovel in the Apex. Really like the soft feel and numbers with these clubs.

• Like 1

> @GooseHook said:

> > > @golfman1 said:

> >

>

> This was the exact result from an iron fitting I went through a couple weeks ago. I went from 2 degrees flat to 1 up, and I'm hitting the ball out of the center much better now.

>

> Golf is too individualistic to generalize this, but dynamic lie angle fitting can definitely improve your strike pattern.

The reason is that lie angles has the potential to move impact away from the center, or back when adjusted, its not because the club face goes open or closed from turf interaction, that happens after the ball is gone.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.