2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Speed without yanking the handle?

ebrasmus21

_**"“dude you have the best swing at this club... if I had your swing...”. It’s nice to hear and its a nice complement of sorts but it’s also evidence that I’m a complete and total underachiever. "**_

No, you're not an underachiever. You're learning and growing and have a great foundation to build on.

Scoring closer to your potential in tournament conditions, may necessitate a different game plan.

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> I haven’t been posting lately because I haven’t had much that’s all that interesting to report. The last couple hours I debated even making this post but my hope is that maybe something I say will resonate with a person reading. Maybe something I say will offer a tiny bit of encouragement or a tiny bit of joy into a individual’s life who may be struggling.

>

> I’m currently going through the worst, the most trying time of my life. I have a job that I hate (but thankfully I’m good at) and I have a marraige that is in total shambles. In the next few weeks my marriage could come to an end. This is life changing stuff that I’m going through and that countless other’s have had to go through before me.

>

> The last few weeks have been extremely stressful. So much so that it’s physically taken a toll on me. Those of you who have followed this thread have seen me swing - I’m already skin and bones as it is but I’m loosing weight. The stress has been so much that I’m finding it difficult to eat. Things have been tough.

>

> I had a therapy session today with a marraige-family therapist, just one-on-one as I try and figure out what the **** is going on with my life. It was great and it was immensely helpful. If anyone out there is considering but on the fence regarding therapy go and give it a shot. It’s proven helpful to me and it could be helpful to you too. After my session I decided to take the afternoon off and go play golf.

>

> I called my buddy Bob (a regular in my game). I know he golfs on Wednesday’s so we met on the first tee. No warm up, no stretching, we had to play quick because Bob had to meet some friends in town for dinner. Needed to finish the round as quickly as possible.

>

> Golf has been my respite, my escape, my healthy outlet. Golf has been something good in my life and something to look forward to, something to cherish. So what happened today?

>

> Hole #1 hit it to 12’ make birdie

> Hole #2 hit it to 2” make birdie

> Hole #3 hit to to 3’ make birdie

> Hole #4 hit it to 6’ make birdie.

>

> I’ve never had a run like that in my life. Never, not once, have I made four in a row.

>

> I hit a bunch of good shots today and had several other birdie looks inside 10’ that I wasn’t able to make. I also had some bad breaks (as it goes with golf). In particular, I hit two good drives today that ran through the fairway stymied behind trees. Not everything goes your way out on the course but that’s golf and that’s life.

>

> All said and done I shot my lifetime best of +1. 73. Today I did not break par (so I’m still not drinking beer). Today was really a truly a day that could have been my magical under-par round - but it wasn’t meant to be. And that’s totally okay.

>

> Today golf treated me well. Today golf was exactly and precisely what golf is: a wonderful and amazing game. Even though I’m down on myself and life is kicking me in the teeth I had the privilege to play this crazy and beautiful game. And today it gave me some much needed joy.

>

> As random and awkward as this post is - to all my internet friends that are also getting kicked in the teeth by life... Go out and enjoy the game. Find something positive and constructive that you can do. Find something that can help you keep your sanity. Maybe that’s golf or maybe it’s something else but go out and take care of yourself.

>

> Maybe this post is a bridge too far and I’m loosing my marbles but today I fell back in love with golf because golf didn’t kick my **** today. Golf brought me some much needed joy. Golf showed me that it isn’t about being frustrated. It isn’t about being stymied behind a tree. It’s about the pursuit of unattainable perfection. It’s about skill. It’s about strategy. It’s about focus and execution. Golf is about so many different things but most of all its a game that’s meant to be enjoyed.

>

> Please, go out and enjoy this wonderful game we play.

Godspeed @ebrasmus21

> @JAMH03 said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > I haven’t been posting lately because I haven’t had much that’s all that interesting to report. The last couple hours I debated even making this post but my hope is that maybe something I say will resonate with a person reading. Maybe something I say will offer a tiny bit of encouragement or a tiny bit of joy into a individual’s life who may be struggling.

> >

> > I’m currently going through the worst, the most trying time of my life. I have a job that I hate (but thankfully I’m good at) and I have a marraige that is in total shambles. In the next few weeks my marriage could come to an end. This is life changing stuff that I’m going through and that countless other’s have had to go through before me.

> >

> > The last few weeks have been extremely stressful. So much so that it’s physically taken a toll on me. Those of you who have followed this thread have seen me swing - I’m already skin and bones as it is but I’m loosing weight. The stress has been so much that I’m finding it difficult to eat. Things have been tough.

> >

> > I had a therapy session today with a marraige-family therapist, just one-on-one as I try and figure out what the **** is going on with my life. It was great and it was immensely helpful. If anyone out there is considering but on the fence regarding therapy go and give it a shot. It’s proven helpful to me and it could be helpful to you too. After my session I decided to take the afternoon off and go play golf.

> >

> > I called my buddy Bob (a regular in my game). I know he golfs on Wednesday’s so we met on the first tee. No warm up, no stretching, we had to play quick because Bob had to meet some friends in town for dinner. Needed to finish the round as quickly as possible.

> >

> > Golf has been my respite, my escape, my healthy outlet. Golf has been something good in my life and something to look forward to, something to cherish. So what happened today?

> >

> > Hole #1 hit it to 12’ make birdie

> > Hole #2 hit it to 2” make birdie

> > Hole #3 hit to to 3’ make birdie

> > Hole #4 hit it to 6’ make birdie.

> >

> > I’ve never had a run like that in my life. Never, not once, have I made four in a row.

> >

> > I hit a bunch of good shots today and had several other birdie looks inside 10’ that I wasn’t able to make. I also had some bad breaks (as it goes with golf). In particular, I hit two good drives today that ran through the fairway stymied behind trees. Not everything goes your way out on the course but that’s golf and that’s life.

> >

> > All said and done I shot my lifetime best of +1. 73. Today I did not break par (so I’m still not drinking beer). Today was really a truly a day that could have been my magical under-par round - but it wasn’t meant to be. And that’s totally okay.

> >

> > Today golf treated me well. Today golf was exactly and precisely what golf is: a wonderful and amazing game. Even though I’m down on myself and life is kicking me in the teeth I had the privilege to play this crazy and beautiful game. And today it gave me some much needed joy.

> >

> > As random and awkward as this post is - to all my internet friends that are also getting kicked in the teeth by life... Go out and enjoy the game. Find something positive and constructive that you can do. Find something that can help you keep your sanity. Maybe that’s golf or maybe it’s something else but go out and take care of yourself.

> >

> > Maybe this post is a bridge too far and I’m loosing my marbles but today I fell back in love with golf because golf didn’t kick my **** today. Golf brought me some much needed joy. Golf showed me that it isn’t about being frustrated. It isn’t about being stymied behind a tree. It’s about the pursuit of unattainable perfection. It’s about skill. It’s about strategy. It’s about focus and execution. Golf is about so many different things but most of all its a game that’s meant to be enjoyed.

> >

> > Please, go out and enjoy this wonderful game we play.

>

> Godspeed @ebrasmus21

Thank you buddy.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> Look at me, I'm posting in your thread!!!! LOL, and keep up with the updates in the thread title so we know what's up! Hope things are going well and looking forward to an update!

I’ll do my damndest to click bate you back into my thread so I can gain more and more views....

My first round match is tomorrow morning - hoping I can provide a click-bate update for the recordbooks after my match.

• Like 2

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

#clickbate

#lookatme

#views

Played my first round match today and got my a** handed to me. My opponent was a 22 year old lefty, super nice young guy. Very personable, very friendly, very respectful.

If I had brought my A-game I think I could have taken the match to 17 or 18 but my truth be told my opponent has more game than I. It didn’t help that I was +6 through five holes.... would have been nice to make some pars early in the round but, sadly, I was making too many mistakes and I was making way too many bogeys. The last few weeks I haven’t shot higher than 79 but today was the day that nothing seemed to go my way.

Whatever highlights I can take from today are as follows:

- I was a beast with the driver

- I had some nice scrambles for par

- I hit one of the best shots of my life on hole 12 which was a low hook 8i from under the trees onto the green to 10’

Besides that I played like crap - everything was a grind - everything was a struggle. It’s disappointing on one hand because I feel like I’ve been playing the best golf of my life but at the same time things are diffent with tournament pressure and today the pressure kicked my a**.

Golf can be humbling and today I was humbled, big time. On the bright side, I met someone at my club I hadn’t met before and he’s a super nice young dude. I’m going to recruit him to play in my game on Sat/Sun mornings so hopefully he’ll come out and play with us on the weekends.

Well, the journey to scratch continues, I’m not there yet. This was yet another step on my golfing journey and if I’m lucky the lessons learned from today will serve me well in the future.

If this post was too clickbatey for anyone out there please forgive me.

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Alas the keys to more progress have been banned from the site. You’ll need to rid yourself of torque error and magic rotation via sidebend on your own. And no Jacobs 3d for you. Maybe try practicing with a heavy book bag on, heard it’s the latest trend.

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

> @Schnee said:

> What clickbait.

Would it be too much clickbate if I posted a picture of myself in a mankini?

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> #clickbate

> #lookatme

> #views

>

> Played my first round match today and got my **** handed to me. My opponent was a 22 year old lefty, super nice young guy. Very personable, very friendly, very respectful.

>

> If I had brought my A-game I think I could have taken the match to 17 or 18 but my truth be told my opponent has more game than I. It didn’t help that I was +6 through five holes.... would have been nice to make some pars early in the round but, sadly, I was making too many mistakes and I was making way too many bogeys. The last few weeks I haven’t shot higher than 79 but today was the day that nothing seemed to go my way.

>

> Whatever highlights I can take from today are as follows:

> - I was a beast with the driver

> - I had some nice scrambles for par

> - I hit one of the best shots of my life on hole 12 which was a low hook 8i from under the trees onto the green to 10’

>

> Besides that I played like **** - everything was a grind - everything was a struggle. It’s disappointing on one hand because I feel like I’ve been playing the best golf of my life but at the same time things are diffent with tournament pressure and today the pressure kicked my ****.

>

> Golf can be humbling and today I was humbled, big time. On the bright side, I met someone at my club I hadn’t met before and he’s a super nice young dude. I’m going to recruit him to play in my game on Sat/Sun mornings so hopefully he’ll come out and play with us on the weekends.

>

> Well, the journey to scratch continues, I’m not there yet. This was yet another step on my golfing journey and if I’m lucky the lessons learned from today will serve me well in the future.

>

> If this post was too clickbatey for anyone out there please forgive me.

So when's the next event, get back on the horse quickly right? I signed up for a 36 strokeplay event this weekend at a course I've played a few times before. My son lost his lacrosse playoff yesterday which was a huge shame, but it freed up next weekend :wink:

> @"Ray Jackson" said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > #clickbate

> > #lookatme

> > #views

> >

> > Played my first round match today and got my **** handed to me. My opponent was a 22 year old lefty, super nice young guy. Very personable, very friendly, very respectful.

> >

> > If I had brought my A-game I think I could have taken the match to 17 or 18 but my truth be told my opponent has more game than I. It didn’t help that I was +6 through five holes.... would have been nice to make some pars early in the round but, sadly, I was making too many mistakes and I was making way too many bogeys. The last few weeks I haven’t shot higher than 79 but today was the day that nothing seemed to go my way.

> >

> > Whatever highlights I can take from today are as follows:

> > - I was a beast with the driver

> > - I had some nice scrambles for par

> > - I hit one of the best shots of my life on hole 12 which was a low hook 8i from under the trees onto the green to 10’

> >

> > Besides that I played like **** - everything was a grind - everything was a struggle. It’s disappointing on one hand because I feel like I’ve been playing the best golf of my life but at the same time things are diffent with tournament pressure and today the pressure kicked my ****.

> >

> > Golf can be humbling and today I was humbled, big time. On the bright side, I met someone at my club I hadn’t met before and he’s a super nice young dude. I’m going to recruit him to play in my game on Sat/Sun mornings so hopefully he’ll come out and play with us on the weekends.

> >

> > Well, the journey to scratch continues, I’m not there yet. This was yet another step on my golfing journey and if I’m lucky the lessons learned from today will serve me well in the future.

> >

> > If this post was too clickbatey for anyone out there please forgive me.

>

> So when's the next event, get back on the horse quickly right? I signed up for a 36 strokeplay event this weekend at a course I've played a few times before. My son lost his lacrosse playoff yesterday which was a huge shame, but it freed up next weekend :wink:

After the club champ comes to an end we’ll have some team play events and I believe we will also be having some inter-club tournaments as well. Schedule permitting I’d like to participate in any/all of those competitions.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Match play is it's own beast. Hard to right a bad start.

You should drive up from Cali for our big match play tournament over Labor Day! It's just 30 minutes over the border into Oregon. Biggest match play tournament in the country and a ton of fun.

[https://rvcc.com/SOGC/SOGC_(1).aspx](https://rvcc.com/SOGC/SOGC_(1).aspx "https://rvcc.com/SOGC/SOGC_(1).aspx")

• Like 1

> @"Matt J" said:

> Match play is it's own beast. Hard to right a bad start.

>

> You should drive up from Cali for our big match play tournament over Labor Day! It's just 30 minutes over the border into Oregon. Biggest match play tournament in the country and a ton of fun.

>

> [https://rvcc.com/SOGC/SOGC_(1).aspx](https://rvcc.com/SOGC/SOGC_(1).aspx "https://rvcc.com/SOGC/SOGC_(1).

Sounds fun!

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> > @"Matt J" said:

> > Match play is it's own beast. Hard to right a bad start.

> >

> > You should drive up from Cali for our big match play tournament over Labor Day! It's just 30 minutes over the border into Oregon. Biggest match play tournament in the country and a ton of fun.

> >

> > [https://rvcc.com/SOGC/SOGC_(1).aspx](https://rvcc.com/SOGC/SOGC_(1).aspx "https://rvcc.com/SOGC/SOGC_(1).

>

> Sounds fun!

Sounds like a good clickbait opportunity ;)

> @Schnee said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > @"Matt J" said:

> > > Match play is it's own beast. Hard to right a bad start.

> > >

> > > You should drive up from Cali for our big match play tournament over Labor Day! It's just 30 minutes over the border into Oregon. Biggest match play tournament in the country and a ton of fun.

> > >

> > > [https://rvcc.com/SOGC/SOGC_(1).aspx](https://rvcc.com/SOGC/SOGC_(1).aspx "https://rvcc.com/SOGC/SOGC_(1).

> >

> > Sounds fun!

>

> Sounds like a good clickbait opportunity ;)

It’s gonna be on a whole nuther level, brah.

BTW Chris, Bethpage is looking glorious on TV. Looks like the greens have some splotchiness going on but overall that looks like one beast of a course. Greens look Tiny.

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @"Matt J" said:

> It's as much a party as a golf tournament, so plenty of clickbait opportunity.

>

> E, hope you're weathering the storm, going through the same thing myself, so I empathize. Stay strong!

Things are getting better, I appreciate it Matt. You take care of yourself as well.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

• 1 month later...

Quick update:

Haven’t been playing a ton this summer and even when I have played I don’t seem to be that engaged or focused. Have had a lot going on personally so maybe that’s why, idk.

Haven’t had time or desire to practice much if at all so no swing work is being done at the moment.

On a very positive note me and the wife are working on things and doing better. I also started a new job that I’m excited about so there’s certainly a lot of positive energy right now. Feeling blessed.

Shot 77 this morning which included two doubles. I’m STILL making way too many stupid mistakes. Things I should have improved upon long ago still get me in trouble.

Ball striking with longer clubs was bad; all high toe shots. Something is going on in the swing just feels like I have no tempo. Putting and short game are still pretty solid (as they should be because I’m missing so many greens).

A shot that worked for me today was this flat rope hook. Hit a nice low draw with a gap wedge on 5 - aimed 10 yards right of the pin and hooked it back towards the target. Playing that shot felt good and comfortable and natural so I played it quite a bit the rest of the day. Playing that shot was the only time I could find the center of the face. Idk, just trying to take what I can get out there.

With the new job it’ll be tough for me to find time to practice so I’m not going to be putting any pressure on myself to go out and shoot a bunch of personal bests or low rounds. Just want to enjoy playing when I get the chance to play.

Won’t be giving up my goal of getting to scratch. My new job should afford me some freedom in the future but need to build up my book of business in order to do so.

Next week me and the wife and the in laws are going to the beach. I’m going to be playing a nice track that I’ll take some pics and video of.

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

"Haven’t had time or desire to practice much if at all so no swing work is being done at the moment.

On a very positive note me and the wife are working on things and doing better. I also started a new job that I’m excited about so there’s certainly a lot of positive energy right now. Feeling blessed."

Stopped reading after that. Here's to things getting better and better going forward Cheers!

@ebrasmus21

Happy to hear of all the positive changes!

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose I’ll have to post swing video but my wedge game is killing me.

Short, mid, long irons I’m getting pretty crisp clean contact right now but if I have 110 yards to the pin and I’m swinging sand wedge there is a very serious chance I’m going to lay the sod over it.

Does anyone know why I can flush a 7i but have zero confidence hitting a 100 yard shot into a green???

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

No not on all wedge shots just on full wedge shots. In particular with 54* and 60*. For whatever reason I seem to hit gap wedge fine.

For stuff like, let’s say, 40 - 110 yards I’m really struggling. I haven’t had time to practice the last few months so I know I shouldn’t expect much but still it’s not a good situation. I’d rather have an 8i yardage into a green vs 90 yards.

The feeling to me is I’m coming in really steep. I don’t know if that’s actually the case or if that’s just what I’m feeling but a couple of times this morning I hit a good 2” behind the ball and took a deep divot.

I think part of the problem is what has and continues to be an ongoing problem for me - not finishing my backswing before starting down. But still I can get away with it using an 8i but I can’t hide my swing faults with a wedge. It just seems counterintuitive to me.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @Krt22 said:

> What is your normal miss? I still battle moving off the ball and then adding too much right side bend, fat/blade city with wedges (especially partial wedges). Been doing tons of 9-3 swings with wedges, working on staying centered and keeping left shoulder down.

With a wedge I would say my normal miss is straight at the target but fat and 20 yards short. I think one reason why I can’t seem to lower my handicap is because my misses are horrible. If I have 110 into the green but I can only manage 80 or 90 yards out of my wedge it’s going to lead to bogeys.

9-3 sounds like a good place to start. Just struggling to find practice time at the moment

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black