Finally Selected for Masters Tickets!! Info Needed!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of threads on this with lots of different opinions about "the" way to do it. I'll just relate our experience and you can sort through others and figure what will work for you.

My daughter and I had tickets for Wednesday. We arrived Tuesday morning and had early check in. We stayed at the Hampton/Gordon Highway on the southwest side of town, easy access to highways to go to Augusta National and took no time at all to get there. After checking in went straight to the tournament, parked (it was just after noon and the main lot was full so we ended up in a church lot for a small fee nearby). Walked down Washington, found Butch near Tbonz and negotiated tickets for the remainder of Tuesday (not real cheap, but well within the price range I had expected and well worth it) and . . . . we were in! Walked around in utter amazement for awhile, saw Arnold Palmer lunching outside the clubhouse, got our picture taken, then set off to see the course and players out playing practice rounds. Had a great lunch in the grandstands overlooking the 12th tee area, where you could see a lot going on. Then set out for 13-16. Observed ball skipping on 16, then jumped to the front nine, then back to the back nine, spent time on the range and (many will disagree) bought our merchandise at the end of the day. Many claim you "must" get it first, etc., etc. and maybe that works best on a one day situation, but even if you just need the chair first thing in the morning, nothing lost by waiting until the end of the day and we didn't want to go shopping the minute we got there, it was a lot more fun having taken the place in first. It was the old merchandise building, so I'll bet the new one has more room and things move even faster, but yes, it was crowded, but no, it didn't take any time at all to get in and get out - did need to secure chairs for Wednesday. Stayed at the course until we had to leave. Wednesday were there early to park, got in, picture taken, found out what time the ropes would be opened to set out chairs/reserve spots on the Par 3 so made sure we were in line for that, something was going on that delayed getting in so we were in line awhile, but so what. Put out our chairs, scared the crap out of Nick Faldo, and went back out on the course (not so many players out by that time because many were in the par 3 - realize the course shuts down early on Wednesday as well because of the par 3), checked out more cool stuff on the course, soaked it in, ate more pimento cheeses, went to the par 3, front row seat by the green for hole in one of Andy Sullivan on 5, you can see us in the video that is still out there (yellow Hawkeye hat, front left side of green, ducking because people are yelling "fore", lol), saw Jack, saw Jack some more, saw Jack some more, went back and walked the main course that was empty by that time (that was neat), ate dinner at the range - only person out there was Jordan working on wedges with Cameron, fascinating to watch and we were like 5 people in the stands at that time. Left when we were basically invited to leave, lol.

Wednesday night we had an incredible meal at the Frog Hollow Tavern, simply incredible, and I had made that reservation by calling them directly way in advance. I locked down our hotel within a day or two of getting notified about tickets. If you are doing Wednesday only, just be mindful that if you are going to reserve a spot for the par 3 (and I recommend a reserved spot highly) it will take some time in the morning, and standing in line for your pic takes time, but a lot less than it looks it will take when you get in line, and there is limited time on Wednesday to see players out on the course, and some don't go out. So a one day trip on Wednesday is full of compromises. I knew the minute I got selected for Wednesday we were going Tuesday no matter what and I am so glad we got to spend that extra time together and taking it all in - Wednesday just would have been rushed and no way to get everything done we wanted to do if it was one day. With Tuesday tickets a lot cheaper in the afternoon and regular price for the Wednesday tickets I think our average cost per day each for tickets was about $185 or so - who wouldn't pay that for a couple days at The Masters!

Don't worry about hitting the gift shop early in the morning. Go at the end of the day - no lines, easy in and out. The morning is CRAZY!!

Spend some time walking the course. At least the back 9. Soak it all in. Take more pictures than you think, not so much of the course or players, but of you and your companions. I wish I would have taken more.

I got Tuesday tickets this year and we booked a house the night we found out about the tickets. I figured as people start doing their planning, it will get harder and harder as the days go on to find a good place.

Flying into Columbia Monday AM, driving down, probably will walk out onto Washington and see if we can get a deal on some Monday tickets - then will go Tuesday. Hawkeye did you buy tickets from a broker that hadnt sold them or did you buy tickets from someone that had left? Any specifics would be appreciated.

Oddly enough everyone I've talked to has mentioned doing your shopping at the end of the day. And with the shipping option there now - you can just ship it straight home. My buddy said they skipped right by the merch shop last year and bought their chairs at a kiosk/smaller stand on the course. Not sure how that works but we'll figure it out. :)

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

T BONEZ for dinner every night!! Good food and great crowd with some golf celebrities mixed in.

Take a lot of extra memory cards for your camera. I would even consider a new camera if you don’t have one. One that can take multiple frames at high speeds. I think I took about 3000 pics.

If your going with girls force them to wear sneakers.

Have fun. I love it there and have only been once!

> @dcmidnight said:

> I got Tuesday tickets this year and we booked a house the night we found out about the tickets. I figured as people start doing their planning, it will get harder and harder as the days go on to find a good place.

>

> Flying into Columbia Monday AM, driving down, probably will walk out onto Washington and see if we can get a deal on some Monday tickets - then will go Tuesday. Hawkeye did you buy tickets from a broker that hadnt sold them or did you buy tickets from someone that had left? Any specifics would be appreciated.

>

> Oddly enough everyone I've talked to has mentioned doing your shopping at the end of the day. And with the shipping option there now - you can just ship it straight home. My buddy said they skipped right by the merch shop last year and bought their chairs at a kiosk/smaller stand on the course. Not sure how that works but we'll figure it out. :)

We bought from "Butch" (local legend broker) and he told us they hadn't been used at all that day - seemed like the kind of guy that would stand behind them, but fortunately we didn't have to test the theory. Here's Butch, and some Masters inspiration!

uw0hy2chs4g3.jpeg

y7d7dtwn03t5.jpeg

xs3up0co2edh.jpeg

> @"Luke.Sutton" said:

> Book an Airbnb now. I’ve rented a bad **** house in Evans (15min from ANGC) for around $1500/week the past few years. Did the hotel thing once and paid $500/nite and the sent me home with bed bugs. Hotel options are terrible in Augusta.

Yeah we're paying $800/nt for mon/tue night - @ a ten minute walk from the north gate. Was about the same price we would have been looking at for a couple of reasonable hotel rooms in Aiken. Its absurdly priced - but we're happy with the choice.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @"Luke.Sutton" said:

> > Book an Airbnb now. I’ve rented a bad **** house in Evans (15min from ANGC) for around $1500/week the past few years. Did the hotel thing once and paid $500/nite and the sent me home with bed bugs. Hotel options are terrible in Augusta.

>

> Yeah we're paying $800/nt for mon/tue night - @ a ten minute walk from the north gate. Was about the same price we would have been looking at for a couple of reasonable hotel rooms in Aiken. Its absurdly priced - but we're happy with the choice.

That sounds ideal!

> @"Luke.Sutton" said:

> Book an Airbnb now. I’ve rented a bad **** house in Evans (15min from ANGC) for around $1500/week the past few years. Did the hotel thing once and paid $500/nite and the sent me home with bed bugs. Hotel options are terrible in Augusta.

There are a lot of new hotels built in Augusta the last few years so the options are much improved, but they are still very expensive. If you're going for more than a night or two, houses are the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Wear comfortable walking shoes. Course has a lot of hills. Tv doesn't do it justice.

2) They have a pro shop on the back side of the course that's just as nice and less crowded . I think its behind 5 & 16. \

3) The food & Beer is super cheap on the course.

4) Lots of good places to eat in town. Dinner time is always packed like crazy.

5) Hotel rates triple that week.

Parking is free just get there early.

You will have a blast enjoy