REVIEW Sense Putter Grip "It cured my putter grip HOing" - FairwayFred

FairwayFred

> @Drewll said:

> > @5hort5tuff said:

> > I took a look ay purchasing one. $67USD for the kit or $37 USD to get to me in Toronto. Yikes.

> > I'll stick with a normal grip and a 2$ carriage bolt if i want some counterbalancing.

>

> Thank you for your input...

You are far too kind lol. Truthfully i think you have a pretty neat product . Square grips with a fool proof way to install. Goodluck with it all.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

I might need to give this a go! I'm using a Flatcat grip to take my hands out of the stroke. I like it, but it's a little big and I still don't square it up all the time.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Thats a weird look..im a pp58 guy.....im far more likely to follow your 58 degree wedge recommendations around Xmas !!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Wow, had my first round over the weekend with the R1 grip and scored my best round of the year! What's crazier is I had 5 birdies and I usually don't get many birdies per round. I don't know how to explain it but once I got used to what was square in my hands I paid less attention to what was square on the face and really freed up me up to make a good stroke. I had some initial issues with longer lag putts but direction was not a problem. Really looking forward to playing more with this grip.

Thank you Fred for your review or else I probably would've never tried this grip. Thank you also to DrewII for the additional info.

Since there isn't a place where you check out the Sense R1 grip in hand, I included a pic of the Flat Cat grips for comparison.

7bp5cbp1cv2d.jpg

call me crazy --- isn't this the same idea as a superstroke ss2 grip (Sense S1) or a flat cat with a counterweight?

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @Drewll said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > call me crazy --- isn't this the same idea as a superstroke ss2 grip (Sense S1) or a flat cat with a counterweight?

> Actually very different than the 2 you mentioned. With the Sense Grip- you can actually dial in the center of balance of your putter. With the others- its a static (fixed) weight.

you can do the same thing with a tour lock pro as well -- with any grip, not just the sense-specific grip.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @Drewll said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > call me crazy --- isn't this the same idea as a superstroke ss2 grip (Sense S1) or a flat cat with a counterweight?

> > Actually very different than the 2 you mentioned. With the Sense Grip- you can actually dial in the center of balance of your putter. With the others- its a static (fixed) weight.

>

> you can do the same thing with a tour lock pro as well -- with any grip, not just the sense-specific grip.

You are correct. But the cost and ease of use, in my opinion, sets Sense Grips apart from the rest.

• Like 1

> @Drewll said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @Drewll said:

> > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > call me crazy --- isn't this the same idea as a superstroke ss2 grip (Sense S1) or a flat cat with a counterweight?

> > > Actually very different than the 2 you mentioned. With the Sense Grip- you can actually dial in the center of balance of your putter. With the others- its a static (fixed) weight.

> >

> > you can do the same thing with a tour lock pro as well -- with any grip, not just the sense-specific grip.

>

> You are correct. But the cost and ease of use, in my opinion, sets Sense Grips apart from the rest.

completely understand your bias lol -- do you have ideas to have different shapes coming to the marketplace? i know pistol is out due to previous posts --

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @Drewll said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @Drewll said:

> > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > call me crazy --- isn't this the same idea as a superstroke ss2 grip (Sense S1) or a flat cat with a counterweight?

> > > > Actually very different than the 2 you mentioned. With the Sense Grip- you can actually dial in the center of balance of your putter. With the others- its a static (fixed) weight.

> > >

> > > you can do the same thing with a tour lock pro as well -- with any grip, not just the sense-specific grip.

> >

> > You are correct. But the cost and ease of use, in my opinion, sets Sense Grips apart from the rest.

>

> completely understand your bias lol -- do you have ideas to have different shapes coming to the marketplace? i know pistol is out due to previous posts --

LOL! Thank you for understanding. We do have upcoming shapes. Based on a study done by the California State University Long Beach/ Fullerton biomechanics lab- the shape of our grips are more accurate than the leading grip on the market! We will have the study up soon on our site.

When choosing any golf equipment, I’ll look for:

Functionality

Looks

Feel

Cost

I’m not sure why most putter grips have a lot of busy graphics. I really like that the Sense grip is simple and looks really good on any putter. I hate a lot of logos or graphics on my grips. I also personally prefer the feel of the rubber versus the more “cushioned” “Winn” grip type feel of superstroke. Cost is reasonable for what you are getting.

Whether something’s functions well, looks good, feels good and is affordable is certainly very personal. The Sense grip checks all boxes for me.

• Like 1

> @winfoot said:

>...... I’m not sure why most putter grips have a lot of busy graphics ......

Im sure you know the answer, but simply marketing. When a tour pro rolls out with a SS grip, we all know it.

BTW, I have one being delivered today. Excited, I am a SS fan, but after a conversation with Drewll I will give it a shot. Hope get it on this week and get some practice or play this weekend.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid 2 / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

is the grip sold separately from the kit? can i buy the grip at the $20 price and determine if i like the feel and shape, and then later buy the rod and weight kit for $30 which would be equal to the $50 price the kit and grip combo are being sold at.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

Ok, got some extensive time in with the R1 grip. I'm not a huge fan of counter-weighting as I usually prefer to feel the head weight as much as possible. For that reason, I mainly only messed around with the 10g weight before deciding not to use it. This tennis-like orientation of the R1 grip is so different for me that I thought I'd take Drew's suggestion to try the 30g weight under my dominant hand. For me, that's the right hand (slightly below the butt end in the palm) in a left hand low grip. Much to my surprise, I could still really feel the head but more importantly I was able to strike the sweet spot more consistently. It really made my putter feel more stable on every putt.

Lag putting has improved with the counter-weighting, too. I'm guessing it has to do with the head feeling lighter. For me, there is usually a trade off for solid short putting (heavy head) for good lag putting (lighter head). The infinite adjustability of the SAW system seems to have remedied that. Drew, was that intended in the Sense (infinity) logo? Lol

I can't recommend enough to give the R1 grip a try for themselves. Great product you have there, Drew!

> @4rheel said:

> Wow, had my first round over the weekend with the R1 grip and scored my best round of the year! What's crazier is I had 5 birdies and I usually don't get many birdies per round. I don't know how to explain it but once I got used to what was square in my hands I paid less attention to what was square on the face and really freed up me up to make a good stroke. I had some initial issues with longer lag putts but direction was not a problem. Really looking forward to playing more with this grip.

>

> Thank you Fred for your review or else I probably would've never tried this grip. Thank you also to DrewII for the additional info.

>

> Since there isn't a place where you check out the Sense R1 grip in hand, I included a pic of the Flat Cat grips for comparison.

> 7bp5cbp1cv2d.jpg

>

I take it that's the rectangular grip?

Congrats on the 5 birdies!

I went ahead and purchased an S1.

I contacted Drewll and had a good conversation about the grip. I really needed to understand his thoughts on why this would be better than my current SuperStroke Midslim 2.0.

First, after years of trying many grips, I have been using the SS Midslim 2.0’s for several years. I have come to learn that I prefer a 350-355g head, SS grip and not back weight. I felt the back weight felt strange. I tried 25, 50 and 75g SS back-weights, but finally settled on no weight.

My major concerns were:

1. Which grip, I like the size of the SS 2.0, (about 3.8” circumference). The R1 about 3.8” in perimeter and the S1 is more like 3.2 perimeter. I was scared of the rectangular shape and went with the S1. May try an R1 later, but like the S1 for now.

2. Total weight of the grip. The S1 is nearly 70g additional weight (with SAW and 30g weight) over the SS. I was afraid that I would lose feel in the head.

Drewll mentioned that a properly placed weight would steady my stroke. He said that it would help stop that “in-out” (my words) in the back stroke. I notice a lot that when I make a back stroke, my hands move in and out, 90 degrees to path. I hate that feeling. Almost like I can’t control the hands.

I installed the grip (it was a bit harder than I thought). I used 2 wraps of tape. Made a bunch of putts on a matt in the office and decided to place the 30g weight below my right hand (dominant hand as suggested).

I must say I am surprised how much I like the grip. My stroke is smoother. I still get the slight in-out at from time to time, but not near as much as before and not as severe. I thought I would feel the extra grip weight and loose feel of the head, but I really don’t feel much difference. It does feel like I am pushing the entire shaft through the stroke.

I have made a number of putts on the office matt, then at a practice green on Saturday, and finally played 6 practice holes yesterday. I like the feel and results. I feel that my putting will be better.

And I’m not concerned with the loss in perimeter. The grip feels smaller, but still confident with using it.

What I am also surprised with is not being concerned with face alignment. I don’t notice if the face is more or less square to the path.

• Like 1

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid 2 / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

Yes.> @JAMH03 said:

> > @4rheel said:

> > Wow, had my first round over the weekend with the R1 grip and scored my best round of the year! What's crazier is I had 5 birdies and I usually don't get many birdies per round. I don't know how to explain it but once I got used to what was square in my hands I paid less attention to what was square on the face and really freed up me up to make a good stroke. I had some initial issues with longer lag putts but direction was not a problem. Really looking forward to playing more with this grip.

> >

> > Thank you Fred for your review or else I probably would've never tried this grip. Thank you also to DrewII for the additional info.

> >

> > Since there isn't a place where you check out the Sense R1 grip in hand, I included a pic of the Flat Cat grips for comparison.

> > 7bp5cbp1cv2d.jpg

> >

>

> I take it that's the rectangular grip?

> Congrats on the 5 birdies!

Yes, that's the R1.

Before I spring for this, I decided to remount my current SS 2.0 so the flat side was facing the back of the putter, instead of up. This put my right hand (low hand) on a flat surface, and I could really tell where the club was facing. Putting was greatly improved yesterday, making a number of 4 to 8 footers, and missing a few by only a hair. Even lag puts were closer that ever. My left hand was still a little lost, so it felt like it was just along for the ride. I can really see the benefit here.

Ordered one, going to put it on my Ping PLD Bruzer....

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

I joined the Sense Club and jumped onto the bandwagon. I am a true Putting Grip Ho. I have gone through countless grips in the past year. During a 3-day event this past summer, I actually went through 3 different putter grips. I am not embarrassed to say, I have problems!

After reading this thread and @FairwayFred testimonial, I took a leap. I mean what harm could it do. I ordered the R1 and patiently waited for my next putter grip experiment. While waiting, I actually ordered 2 SuperStroke grips "just in case" this didn't work!

The package arrived and I cannot begin to tell you how good the packaging is. It is really a quality grip that is sent in a very professional package. The grip itself feels really good. It is hard to say that a grip feels "high-end", but that is exactly what the R1 feels. I agree with others who have compared it to an Iomic for feel. It is similar.

Installing the grip was a breeze. The level that is provided makes installation very precise. For the first time, I am absolutely certain that the putter grip is straight. After installing it, verifying it and retesting it again; I have learned that my eyes have lied to me all these years. This difference alone makes the grip worth its price. My starting line improved immediately. It is such a relief to set up to a putt and not worry about adjusting the face or fiddling with the grip. It gives you confidence to know it is exactly perfect, every time!

I am not a counter-weight guy. I never have been. It has always felt strange to me and honestly I didn't think it worked. After conversation with @Drewll I agreed to try it out. If there is one negative or maybe an area for improvement in the packaging; it would be to add detailed instructions on how to use the weights. I had to pester Andrew via PM to get the instructions below, which he gladly and graciously provided!

I went to the putting green and tried all 3 weights. I putted with the weights in 4 positions each.

1. No weight.

2. Weight at the butt end of grip.

3. Weight at bottom of SAW fixture

4. Weight under dominant hand.

What I found was that with no weights, the putter felt exactly as before. I could use it without the weights and be fine. The increase in accuracy to the starting line due to a perfectly aligned grip made a HUGE difference. But, exactly as before might not be good enough.......

So, I tried the 10 gram weight and thought meh...... No real change in feel or performance. I tried the 30 gram weight and had a dramatic change in feel and performance, dispersion tightened immediately and I knew I was onto something. BUT........it felt heavy......very heavy to me......

So, I then tried the 20 gram weight and the angels began to sing. It felt better, it performed better and it actually worked in all 3 of the positions. However, It worked best under my right hand (traditional grip). In order to dial it in exactly, I put a rubber band on the grip where my thumb and index finger would pinch. I then set the middle of the weight at this point. (see pictures)

avm78wsvaizc.jpg

g4ulchxshcri.jpg

Overall I am extremely impressed with the quality of the grip, the support from Andrew and the great buying experience that Sense offered. I feel confident that my days of searching for a grip are over. I actually feel excited to go putt and play due to the confidence I have in the club. I have played 3 rounds with it and rolled it on the green 3-4 different times. Not once did I have a day where the face looked off and I felt the need to adjust my grip to square it up. I have had days my grip didn't feel right (my fault) but knowing the grip is perfectly aligned allowed me to adjust quickly. The guys at Sense are on to something with this product. It is absolutely worth the money to give it a try. It is the real deal and is not just another gimmick. If you are on the fence, take the leap. It just might be the change you need!

• Like 1