Hitting Tigers Driver

buckeyefl

A buddy sent this to me and I thought this was a fun, interesting video. Such a good driver in the day. I laughed to myself when that large man kept talking about how heavy the driver felt because back in that time period Tiger had a practice club that was insanely heavy. I watched some pretty strong scratch golfers hitting low squirters with it at the range much to Tigers amusement.

> @buckeyefl said:

> > @straightshot7 said:

> > Appears to be using a modern golf ball?

>

> Im sure he is. I found a Titleist professional in my basket at the range the other day and saved it for last. It was worth the wait.

Man, I remember getting a few dozen Titleist Professional 90s when I was a frosh in college. I would hand pick the range in HS in exchange for a sleeve of TB 100s, and now, they gave me 36 of these Professionals for free? That golden box. The smell of them. I felt like I could trade them for a key to the city.

• Like 1

> @"Ashley Schaeffer" said:

> > @buckeyefl said:

> > > @straightshot7 said:

> > > Appears to be using a modern golf ball?

> >

> > Im sure he is. I found a Titleist professional in my basket at the range the other day and saved it for last. It was worth the wait.

>

> Man, I remember getting a few dozen Titleist Professional 90s when I was a frosh in college. I would hand pick the range in HS in exchange for a sleeve of TB 100s, and now, they gave me 36 of these Professionals for free? That golden box. The smell of them. I felt like I could trade them for a key to the city.

The smell really was unique and very special. Funny how certain smells can take you back. I used to use Crew pomade back in the day. I prefer a drier look now but when I’m in the grocery store I’ll open a jar every now and home just to get a whiff.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

> @lowheel said:

> > @buckeyefl said:

> > > @straightshot7 said:

> > > Appears to be using a modern golf ball?

> >

> > Im sure he is. I found a Titleist professional in my basket at the range the other day and saved it for last. It was worth the wait.

>

> remember those low boring drives ripping though the air and climbing!! good times

You’re tugging at the memory strings. Remember putting pencil marks in balls for ID in tournaments? Heck, remember changing balls every 4 holes, just in case?

> @boxerjoe2011 said:

> Shoot, remember Balatas? You could absolutely nut one and wouldn't go anywhere, but they should felt amazing to putt and chip with.

Definitely remember. Getting a fresh sleeve of Titleist TB 100s was like winning the lottery. Amazing feeling to tee one of those up. I got used to that short game spin, and have been chasing it for 25 years to no avail.

Back in 1997 Tiger was playing Titleist Tour Balata 100 compression balls. And he was LONG!!!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Alex also has a great video on his driver "fitting" of the F9 at the PGA Show. 80g Tensei Orange, tipped 1/2 with 18g head weight to "keep it on the planet". Stripes it 330.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

> @TheInfidel said:

> Alex also has a great video on his driver "fitting" of the F9 at the PGA Show. 80g Tensei Orange, tipped 1/2 with 18g head weight to "keep it on the planet". Stripes it 330.

I've watched a few of his videos, dude can definitely let it fly. He did a video of the F9 3 wood and was carrying that thing about 270 if I remember correctly.

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0
3 wood - Cobra F8
Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
Wedges - Vokey SM5 50°, Cleveland Zipcore 54°, Cleveland Zipcore 58°
Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab 3

Oh wow Titleist Tour Professionals brings back some fond memories. The feel of those balls are unforgettable but wow did the Pro V1's blow the away. Yes this guy can move the ball and it's amazing what's happened to ball and club technology in 22 years. 300 yards is mediocre on the PGA Tour nowadays.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

> @Need4spd said:

> > @"Ashley Schaeffer" said:

> > > @buckeyefl said:

> > > > @straightshot7 said:

> > > > Appears to be using a modern golf ball?

> > >

> > > Im sure he is. I found a Titleist professional in my basket at the range the other day and saved it for last. It was worth the wait.

> >

> > Man, I remember getting a few dozen Titleist Professional 90s when I was a frosh in college. I would hand pick the range in HS in exchange for a sleeve of TB 100s, and now, they gave me 36 of these Professionals for free? That golden box. The smell of them. I felt like I could trade them for a key to the city.

>

> The smell really was unique and very special. Funny how certain smells can take you back. I used to use Crew pomade back in the day. I prefer a drier look now but when I’m in the grocery store I’ll open a jar every now and home just to get a whiff.

>

>

Smell is the sense most closely linked to memory and emotion. The brain processes scents in the olfactory bulb, which has direct connections to both the amygdala and hippocampus, areas of the brain that are associated with memory and emotional regulation.

> @grm24 said:

> > @RobotDoctor said:

> > Back in 1997 Tiger was playing Titleist Tour Balata 100 compression balls. And he was LONG!!!

> Tiger won The 1997 Masters playing the Titleist Professional 90.

And he absoloutely nutted it, too. Amazing to watch. I remember when the TF Strata came out and some guys were switching to it. Not the one that just said "Strata", but the one that said "Top Flite" above "Strata". Anyway, I never switched to it for more than a round or two, but I imagine if it had a Titleist stamp on it, I would have. I think that ball could have changed the game, what, 2 years before the ProV1(?), with better marketing.

• Like 1

> @grm24 said:

> > @RobotDoctor said:

> > Back in 1997 Tiger was playing Titleist Tour Balata 100 compression balls. And he was LONG!!!

> Tiger won The 1997 Masters playing the Titleist Professional 90.

Was the Professional even out then? I didn't think it came out until 1998 or 1999. I might have my time line a bit off.

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

> @RobotDoctor said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > Back in 1997 Tiger was playing Titleist Tour Balata 100 compression balls. And he was LONG!!!

> > Tiger won The 1997 Masters playing the Titleist Professional 90.

>

> Was the Professional even out then? I didn't think it came out until 1998 or 1999. I might have my time line a bit off.

The Professional was released some time in 1994 or 95.

> @grm24 said:

> > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > @grm24 said:

> > > > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > > Back in 1997 Tiger was playing Titleist Tour Balata 100 compression balls. And he was LONG!!!

> > > Tiger won The 1997 Masters playing the Titleist Professional 90.

> >

> > Was the Professional even out then? I didn't think it came out until 1998 or 1999. I might have my time line a bit off.

> The Professional was released some time in 1994 or 95.

I can believe that the Professional was released in later 1997/early 1998 or so but it wasn't available in 1994/1995. The Professional replaced the Tour Prestige (the last Titleist Balata ball made) in the latter part of the 90s. The Professional had a short run, maybe a couple of years if I recall correctly. I am certain the Professional came out in 1998 and the ProV1 in late 2000 or early 2001 after testing by the PGA Tour was conducted in the Spring of 2000. It's been difficult to find a timeline of specific Titleist balls.

Here is a link on an ebay Titleist Balata ball auction. Titleist Balata balls were made into 2001. That still doesn't confirm what Tiger used at the Masters in 1997. I suppose someone could simply ask him. :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titleist-collectible-tour-balata-69-years-of-leadership-1932-2001-golf-balls/312691796093?hash=item48cde2287d:g:QWwAAOSwx2hdJFLh

> @RobotDoctor said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > > > Back in 1997 Tiger was playing Titleist Tour Balata 100 compression balls. And he was LONG!!!

> > > > Tiger won The 1997 Masters playing the Titleist Professional 90.

> > >

> > > Was the Professional even out then? I didn't think it came out until 1998 or 1999. I might have my time line a bit off.

> > The Professional was released some time in 1994 or 95.

>

> I can believe that the Professional was released in later 1997/early 1998 or so but it wasn't available in 1994/1995. The Professional replaced the Tour Prestige (the last Titleist Balata ball made) in the latter part of the 90s. The Professional had a short run, maybe a couple of years if I recall correctly. I am certain the Professional came out in 1998 and the ProV1 in late 2000 or early 2001 after testing by the PGA Tour was conducted in the Spring of 2000. It's been difficult to find a timeline of specific Titleist balls.

No. The Professional did come out in 1994. Tiger used it to win the 1997 Masters. Easy to find that information.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/masters-2019-the-winning-clubs-tiger-woods-has-used-for-all-five-of-his-masters-titles

https://www.golfmagic.com/news/equipment-news/titleist-pro-v1-ball-evolution-of-a-legend/20817

1994 - Titleist Professional ball becomes the first Tour-played urethane covered ball.

The Tour Prestige was not a balata covered ball. It was urethane (elastomer). It was the last wound ball Titleist made before they introduced the Pro-V1 on tour in late 2000.

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2015/10/20/big-tuesday-birth-Pro-V1-15-years-ago.html

_It didn't take Andrade long to notice a significant uptick in distance off the tee with the Pro V1, close to 20 yards when compared to Titleist’s Tour Prestige ball, which he had been playing for most of the 2000 season.

_

cxzdinj1vx77.jpg

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/golf-johnson-equipment-0628

**In 2000 the Maxfli Revolution was the No. 3 ball on tour (behind the Titleist Professional and Titleist Tour Prestige),**

• Like 1

I found this video of Tiger's caddie in an exhibition round in August 1997 pulling out Titleist Professional balls (note the gold colored sleeve). I will definitely agree Tiger played the Professional at the 1997 Masters.

> @grm24 said:

> > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > @grm24 said:

> > > > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > > > > Back in 1997 Tiger was playing Titleist Tour Balata 100 compression balls. And he was LONG!!!

> > > > > Tiger won The 1997 Masters playing the Titleist Professional 90.

> > > >

> > > > Was the Professional even out then? I didn't think it came out until 1998 or 1999. I might have my time line a bit off.

> > > The Professional was released some time in 1994 or 95.

> >

> > I can believe that the Professional was released in later 1997/early 1998 or so but it wasn't available in 1994/1995. The Professional replaced the Tour Prestige (the last Titleist Balata ball made) in the latter part of the 90s. The Professional had a short run, maybe a couple of years if I recall correctly. I am certain the Professional came out in 1998 and the ProV1 in late 2000 or early 2001 after testing by the PGA Tour was conducted in the Spring of 2000. It's been difficult to find a timeline of specific Titleist balls.

>

> No. The Professional did come out in 1994. Tiger used it to win the 1997 Masters. Easy to find that information.

> https://www.golfdigest.com/story/masters-2019-the-winning-clubs-tiger-woods-has-used-for-all-five-of-his-masters-titles

> https://www.golfmagic.com/news/equipment-news/titleist-pro-v1-ball-evolution-of-a-legend/20817

> 1994 - Titleist Professional ball becomes the first Tour-played urethane covered ball.

>

> The Tour Prestige was not a balata covered ball. It was urethane (elastomer). It was the last wound ball Titleist made before they introduced the Pro-V1 on tour in late 2000.

> https://www.pgatour.com/news/2015/10/20/big-tuesday-birth-Pro-V1-15-years-ago.html

> _It didn't take Andrade long to notice a significant uptick in distance off the tee with the Pro V1, close to 20 yards when compared to Titleist’s Tour Prestige ball, which he had been playing for most of the 2000 season.

> _

>

> cxzdinj1vx77.jpg

>

> https://www.golfdigest.com/story/golf-johnson-equipment-0628

> **In 2000 the Maxfli Revolution was the No. 3 ball on tour (behind the Titleist Professional and Titleist Tour Prestige),**

>

Thanks for the links. That clears up quite a bit of Titleist ball timeline. I played the Titleist Tour Balatas then the Tour Prestige then the Professional. I didn't care for the Professional for some reason and went to pay the Maxfli Revolution then the Maxfli A10 ball. I then went to the ProV1. Playing the Professional during my younger days when I could really hit the ball far I really appreciate how much farther Tiger was than anyone else with the Professional. Simply incredible.

• Like 1

> @RobotDoctor said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > > > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > > > > > Back in 1997 Tiger was playing Titleist Tour Balata 100 compression balls. And he was LONG!!!

> > > > > > Tiger won The 1997 Masters playing the Titleist Professional 90.

> > > > >

> > > > > Was the Professional even out then? I didn't think it came out until 1998 or 1999. I might have my time line a bit off.

> > > > The Professional was released some time in 1994 or 95.

> > >

> > > I can believe that the Professional was released in later 1997/early 1998 or so but it wasn't available in 1994/1995. The Professional replaced the Tour Prestige (the last Titleist Balata ball made) in the latter part of the 90s. The Professional had a short run, maybe a couple of years if I recall correctly. I am certain the Professional came out in 1998 and the ProV1 in late 2000 or early 2001 after testing by the PGA Tour was conducted in the Spring of 2000. It's been difficult to find a timeline of specific Titleist balls.

> >

> > No. The Professional did come out in 1994. Tiger used it to win the 1997 Masters. Easy to find that information.

> > https://www.golfdigest.com/story/masters-2019-the-winning-clubs-tiger-woods-has-used-for-all-five-of-his-masters-titles

> > https://www.golfmagic.com/news/equipment-news/titleist-pro-v1-ball-evolution-of-a-legend/20817

> > 1994 - Titleist Professional ball becomes the first Tour-played urethane covered ball.

> >

> > The Tour Prestige was not a balata covered ball. It was urethane (elastomer). It was the last wound ball Titleist made before they introduced the Pro-V1 on tour in late 2000.

> > https://www.pgatour.com/news/2015/10/20/big-tuesday-birth-Pro-V1-15-years-ago.html

> > _It didn't take Andrade long to notice a significant uptick in distance off the tee with the Pro V1, close to 20 yards when compared to Titleist’s Tour Prestige ball, which he had been playing for most of the 2000 season.

> > _

> >

> > cxzdinj1vx77.jpg

> >

> > https://www.golfdigest.com/story/golf-johnson-equipment-0628

> > **In 2000 the Maxfli Revolution was the No. 3 ball on tour (behind the Titleist Professional and Titleist Tour Prestige),**

> >

>

> Thanks for the links. That clears up quite a bit of Titleist ball timeline. I played the Titleist Tour Balatas then the Tour Prestige then the Professional. I didn't care for the Professional for some reason and went to pay the Maxfli Revolution then the Maxfli A10 ball. I then went to the ProV1. Playing the Professional during my younger days when I could really hit the ball far I really appreciate how much farther Tiger was than anyone else with the Professional. Simply incredible.

You're welcome. I never played the Tour Balata balls. I played both the Professional and Revolution back then. Preferred the Revolution. Didn't like the Tour Prestige. Found it very short for me. I still have a brand new dozen of the Maxfli A10 balls. They were a good ball. Maxfli had a lot of excellent golf balls back then.

• Like 1