Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Rose: 4 Majors in 4 months is bad for golf.

MMB1500MMB1500 Members Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Justin Rose has broken ranks from golf’s leading players by criticising the new schedule for 2019, which features four majors in as many months. This week’s Open Championship rounds off a major season that used to end with the US PGA; that tournament has been brought forward to May from August and Rose believes the new calendar is detrimental to competitor preparations.

The former world No 1 said: “In my opinion they’re too soon. It’s too condensed. As a professional in terms of trying to peak for something, the process that’s involved in trying to do that can be detailed and it can be longer than a month. So that’s my reasoning for that.”

“I think it’s pretty much driven by FedExCup, wanting to finish on a certain date, everything else having to fit in where it can,” Rose added. “For me major championships should be the things that are protected the most. That’s how all of our careers ultimately are going to be measured. Thirty, 40 years ago there wasn’t a FedExCup so if you’re trying to compare one career to another career, Jack [Nicklaus] versus Tiger [Woods], it’s the majors … they’re the benchmarks. For them to be tweaked so much I think is quite interesting at this point.”

Personally I agree with Rose though for other reasons, mainly that the four most important tournaments in golf are over within a third of the year. I'd rather see them spread out a bit more. Thoughts?

«13456711

Comments

  • NoodleSaladNoodleSalad Members Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

    I'd like to see the U.S. Open held in December every now & then, maybe at a course like Seminole (site of a future Walker Cup) or Riviera.

  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,347 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Can't disagree with his assertion at all.

    G410 9 Degree - Yonex Red
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Yonex Blue
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - UST Recoil
    G410 6-UW - Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    Glide 2.0 54SS, 58 WS
    Glide 3.0 54ES, 58ES (Awaiting release) Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 16, 2019 4:57pm #6

    @MMB1500 said:
    “For me major championships should be the things that are protected the most. That’s how all of our careers ultimately are going to be measured. Thirty, 40 years ago there wasn’t a FedExCup so if you’re trying to compare one career to another career, Jack [Nicklaus] versus Tiger [Woods], it’s the majors … they’re the benchmarks. For them to be tweaked so much I think is quite interesting at this point.”

    I looked on YouTube but I couldn't find the commercial for the FedEx Cup that had a bunch of guys talking about how years from now it would be looked at as being just as big as the majors. It would be ironic if Justin was in that commercial.

    Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

  • MMB1500MMB1500 Members Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Z1ggy16 said:
    Kind of agree. Once the Open is over this year, there's really not much else to "look forward to" as far as exciting tournaments go, for me anyway.

    This was exactly my thinking.

  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    i don't know that he was whining, but i don't understand, as has been pointed out, his perspective that the majors are closer to each other ... the last three this year or last year are a month apart ... and, yes, they did do it for fedex reasons because competing against the nfl could have a negative effect on that big check they get for winning the fedex ...

  • KRAMER1997KRAMER1997 Members Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    edited Jul 17, 2019 3:52am #12

    Even though I like the fact that the Open is the last major, I think the PGA Championship will be back in August pretty soon when they realize that this was a mistake in the long run and a lot of popular venues like Whistling Straits and Oak Hill will become unplayable.

    Post edited by KRAMER1997 on
  • JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MMB1500 said:
    Justin Rose has broken ranks from golf’s leading players by criticising the new schedule for 2019, which features four majors in as many months. This week’s Open Championship rounds off a major season that used to end with the US PGA; that tournament has been brought forward to May from August and Rose believes the new calendar is detrimental to competitor preparations.

    The former world No 1 said: “In my opinion they’re too soon. It’s too condensed. As a professional in terms of trying to peak for something, the process that’s involved in trying to do that can be detailed and it can be longer than a month. So that’s my reasoning for that.”

    “I think it’s pretty much driven by FedExCup, wanting to finish on a certain date, everything else having to fit in where it can,” Rose added. “For me major championships should be the things that are protected the most. That’s how all of our careers ultimately are going to be measured. Thirty, 40 years ago there wasn’t a FedExCup so if you’re trying to compare one career to another career, Jack [Nicklaus] versus Tiger [Woods], it’s the majors … they’re the benchmarks. For them to be tweaked so much I think is quite interesting at this point.”

    Personally I agree with Rose though for other reasons, mainly that the four most important tournaments in golf are over within a third of the year. I'd rather see them spread out a bit more. Thoughts?

    Im really enjoying this, lets give it some time.


     



  • CDLgolfCDLgolf Members Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I agree with Justin, hard to believe the major season will be done after this weekend. It also seems to me that the new schedule is making the top name players play less. Taking 3 weeks off and only playing in the majors.
    I'm sure this schedule makes the most money for the tour and they'll be done before football starts, which is what they want.

    Cobra F8
    Ping G25 3 wood
    Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
    Ping i e1 6- uw
    Ping Tour Gorge 56 & 60
    Odyssey
  • TheBear95TheBear95 Members Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭

    @dcmidnight said:
    Honestly I thought he sounded like a big complainer for absolutely no reason, sounded like he was trying to throw shade at the FedEx Cup. Sorry man, how did your $10M check do, did it deposit OK? Honestly I dont know what he is whining about. The last three majors of the year have ALWAYS been a month apart. So instead of being June/July/August they are now May/June/July. Shut up already.

    Yep. He's talking like the PGA was in October. 3 weeks, that's how much "longer" the old major season was.

    Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Titleist 917 F3 16.5*
    Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC/SC (4-PW)
    Scratch FIT 52*, 58*
    Kingston KP1 GSS
  • avragavrag Members Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    He's right.

    I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.
  • Ronnie MundtRonnie Mundt Members Posts: 198 ✭✭✭

    It’s really the stupid FedEx Cup that is messing this up. They have put too much corporate dough behind that series, and it basically knocks out the entire month of August, which is a great time to play golf in a lot of this country. Aaaaand, they could have the last major culminate right before football kicks off, which would be a massive showcase before gridiron takes over. They really need to figure out how to tinker with the FedEx Cup. Maybe do two tournaments; a 125 man field and a 60 man field, winner take all, do all the points and stuff accordingly. Figure it out.

  • Tepop84Tepop84 Members Posts: 29 ✭✭

    @TheBear95 said:

    Yep. He's talking like the PGA was in October. 3 weeks, that's how much "longer" the old major season was.

    There is a 28 day difference in last year vs this year, that is 4 weeks less time. It cut the major season by ~22% which is a lot going from 18.5 weeks to 14.5 weeks. I think I’m the end this is going to hurt the pga a lot as well as the handicapped tour championship.

  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,928 ClubWRX

    @Z1ggy16 said:
    Kind of agree. Once the Open is over this year, there's really not much else to "look forward to" as far as exciting tournaments go, for me anyway.

    Whoa...you don't consider the Sanderson Farms Championship the 5th major???

  • cwglumcwglum Members Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 16, 2019 6:51pm #21

    Refreshing to see someone actually state the obvious. Couldn't agree with him more that the new schedule is 100% about protecting the FedEx Cup Finish, not the Majors. There will never be an asterisk next to the greats of the game that states "__ FedEx Cup wins", it will always be about the Majors. The summer tour schedule used to build up towards the PGA, now it will just fizzle out towards the final events of the season.

  • helper_monkeyhelper_monkey Members Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

    I wonder if Justin, being British, understands what a juggernaut the NFL really is in terms of dominating the TV sports landscape once it starts up?

  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Amazing how much pull the NFL has. They directly have affected global sports scheduling. Unintentionally of course, but still, just amazes me.
    On that same note, my mother's birthday is the 2nd week in January and we always have something going on that weekend. Well for those who are NFL fans, you know that 2nd weekend in January is a major playoff round so she always complaining that we have to plan the birthday dinner around the playoff games. "Is it really that important?" she asks. My response this year was "It's important enough that the PGA Tour rearranged their schedule so they could get out of the NFL's way."

    As for Rose's comments; I think he's arguing the wrong point. It isn't the major's and how far apart they are (That's already been well documented here as to how silly that is) I actually think it's the WGC events that are making the schedule feel more cramped than it actually is.

    Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

  • PZeroPZero Members Posts: 11,546 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Rose is right. The year has felt off.

    R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
    Titleist 913F 15°
    TM R9 19°
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
    Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
    Studio Select Newport
  • Cincy_KenCincy_Ken Members Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

    I agree the PGA had to move due to the Olympics so I prefer what we have this year to the condensed mess we had in 2016. However in a perfect world I'd like a mid-September- mid-October PGA. However that puts the major at the beginning of the season and brings in conflicts with the Ryder Cup.

  • widow-makerwidow-maker Members Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    There's no doubt that they changed things for the Fed Ex Cup. They've tried desperately to elevate the Player's Championship and the Fed Ex Cup to major like status but the people aren't buying it. It's all about the Majors to the fans, players, and the rest of it just is what it is. They'll all play the Players and the Fed Ex because the money's good and it's good for the Tour. But.... they all want to win Majors, first and foremost.

    The PGA Tour doesn't control the Majors or the money made from them. I can understand why that would rankle them, but they need to be careful how they navigate through that disappointment. The Majors lift golf way up, as does the Ryder Cup. The Tour may not make money or control those events, but they benefit greatly as the tide from those events lifts the Tour. I'm not sure Rose is right in this instance, but the Tour shouldn't lose sight of how important the Majors are and how they butter the Tour's bread.

  • woods991woods991 believelandClubWRX Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    agree 1000% the new schedule is soley to boost up the "hype" or lack of their with the FedEx Cup, Majors, Majors and Majors....

    Signature of Solon CC
    Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 Tour AD iz 6s
    Callaway Epic Flash 13.5 Diamana Thump 65s 
    Titleist 917 f2 18* Diamana Thump 70s
    Mizuno Jpx 919 Hot Metal Tour 5-pw KBS C-Taper Lite 105
    Taylormade 50*, 55*, 60* Milled Grind Wedge Tour Only Nippon NS Pro WV 125S
    Evnroll ER9 Superstroke ultra slim 1.0p 33”
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @golfer07840 said:
    Amazing how much pull the NFL has. They directly have affected global sports scheduling. Unintentionally of course, but still, just amazes me.
    On that same note, my mother's birthday is the 2nd week in January and we always have something going on that weekend. Well for those who are NFL fans, you know that 2nd weekend in January is a major playoff round so she always complaining that we have to plan the birthday dinner around the playoff games. "Is it really that important?" she asks. My response this year was "It's important enough that the PGA Tour rearranged their schedule so they could get out of the NFL's way."

    As for Rose's comments; I think he's arguing the wrong point. It isn't the major's and how far apart they are (That's already been well documented here as to how silly that is) I actually think it's the WGC events that are making the schedule feel more cramped than it actually is.

    yep .. mexico or austin has to go, replaced by memphis ... only way to do it ...

  • snizzlesnizzle Members Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

    @Ronnie Mundt said:
    It’s really the stupid FedEx Cup that is messing this up. They have put too much corporate dough behind that series, and it basically knocks out the entire month of August, which is a great time to play golf in a lot of this country. Aaaaand, they could have the last major culminate right before football kicks off, which would be a massive showcase before gridiron takes over. They really need to figure out how to tinker with the FedEx Cup. Maybe do two tournaments; a 125 man field and a 60 man field, winner take all, do all the points and stuff accordingly. Figure it out.

    Agreed.
    Many fans could care less about the FedEx playoffs but the corporations have sunk so much $ into it..
    I really don't think playoffs are necessary at all esp in an individual sport. In the NBA it's all about the playoffs/Finals/championships but in golf it's always been about Majors and measuring yourself against the greats like Nicklaus.
    In the same way professional tennis has always been about Wimbledon, etc.
    With that said it's kinda crazy that Rose, who won the FedEx cup last year, is the one speaking up about this issue.

  • LICCLICC Members Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @JAMH03 said:

    @MMB1500 said:
    Justin Rose has broken ranks from golf’s leading players by criticising the new schedule for 2019, which features four majors in as many months. This week’s Open Championship rounds off a major season that used to end with the US PGA; that tournament has been brought forward to May from August and Rose believes the new calendar is detrimental to competitor preparations.

    The former world No 1 said: “In my opinion they’re too soon. It’s too condensed. As a professional in terms of trying to peak for something, the process that’s involved in trying to do that can be detailed and it can be longer than a month. So that’s my reasoning for that.”

    “I think it’s pretty much driven by FedExCup, wanting to finish on a certain date, everything else having to fit in where it can,” Rose added. “For me major championships should be the things that are protected the most. That’s how all of our careers ultimately are going to be measured. Thirty, 40 years ago there wasn’t a FedExCup so if you’re trying to compare one career to another career, Jack [Nicklaus] versus Tiger [Woods], it’s the majors … they’re the benchmarks. For them to be tweaked so much I think is quite interesting at this point.”

    Personally I agree with Rose though for other reasons, mainly that the four most important tournaments in golf are over within a third of the year. I'd rather see them spread out a bit more. Thoughts?

    Im really enjoying this, lets give it some time.

    Same here. I like having a big event to look forward to every month from March through August, and then the Ryder Cup or President's Cup to follow. And the PGA Championship is greatly enhanced going second rather than being a second class citizen in August. It's the Fedex Cup they still need to fix. A handicapped final tournament is ridiculous.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file