NJ Private Clubs Near Hoboken/JC Area

HotDom

Hey All,

Three buddies and myself are looking at possible country clubs to join within a 30-45 minute drive of the Jersey City/Hoboken area. We are 27-28 years old and figured it is time to join a club with the amount of time/money we already spend. Colonia CC is running a great deal at the moment for people our age, but I was wondering what else was out there and if anyone could point me in the right direction.....I have sent emails to New Jersey National Golf Club, Morris County Golf Club and Forest Hills FC. Any others that might be worth getting in talks with? I appreciate any help!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @HotDom said:

> Hey All,

> Three buddies and myself are looking at possible country clubs to join within a 30-45 minute drive of the Jersey City/Hoboken area. We are 27-28 years old and figured it is time to join a club with the amount of time/money we already spend. Colonia CC is running a great deal at the moment for people our age, but I was wondering what else was out there and if anyone could point me in the right direction.....I have sent emails to New Jersey National Golf Club, Morris County Golf Club and Forest Hills FC. Any others that might be worth getting in talks with? I appreciate any help!

Although I do not live in the area, I have played many clubs in that area.

First question is what is your budget as far as all in monthly dues and initiation fee?

Second, are you looking for just golf or do you want other amenities such as pool or tennis?

Third, how far are you willing to drive, Uber, Train?

Morris County Golf Club is an excellent course. It is not overly long based on today's golf courses, but it emphasizes ball placement. It is a beautiful track. Driving range is large and you hit down a hill, which is different. Dues and initiation will be on the higher side. Plus, you may have to take a caddy or forecaddie before a certain time of day, which can range from 40-80 per round or more. Also, it is a club in which you need quite a few sponsors, however, if you reach out, they will probably introduce you to a membership committee and other members. I am guessing most of the members there will not be in your age group, but I could be wrong.

New Jersey National is also an excellent course. Is it as nice and prestigious as Morris County? No. But you get a nice golf course and practice facility. It is just golf and the restaurant is open to the public. However, you can walk the course at any time at no additional fee. It is longer than Morris County, but the dues are very reasonable and I do not recall them having an initiation fee. Plus, you get reciprocal privileges at a few other courses, including Pine Barrens, in Ocean County, which is another excellent course. If you come down to the shore for a weekend(s), you can golf there.

I have not played Colonia in at least 10 years but I remember it being a nice facility. They have done a lot of renovations over the years to the clubhouse. The course I recall being nice and like Morris County, not very long by today's standards.

I have not played Forest Hill but visited the place. The clubhouse is great and had a great group of guys in various age ranges. The mens locker room had its own bar along with a shuffleboard table as well.

A few other options I would consider are Metuchen Golf & Country Club in Edision, Knickerbocker Country Club in Tenafly & Suburban Golf Club in Union.

The good thing about joining a club in the 27-28 range is that a lot of clubs have dues tiered based on age. Shop around, explore and find the club that is right for you and your buddies.

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to DM or reach out to me in this post.

> @NJgolfer11 said:

> > @HotDom said:

> > Hey All,

> > Three buddies and myself are looking at possible country clubs to join within a 30-45 minute drive of the Jersey City/Hoboken area. We are 27-28 years old and figured it is time to join a club with the amount of time/money we already spend. Colonia CC is running a great deal at the moment for people our age, but I was wondering what else was out there and if anyone could point me in the right direction.....I have sent emails to New Jersey National Golf Club, Morris County Golf Club and Forest Hills FC. Any others that might be worth getting in talks with? I appreciate any help!

>

> Although I do not live in the area, I have played many clubs in that area.

> First question is what is your budget as far as all in monthly dues and initiation fee?

> Second, are you looking for just golf or do you want other amenities such as pool or tennis?

> Third, how far are you willing to drive, Uber, Train?

>

> Morris County Golf Club is an excellent course. It is not overly long based on today's golf courses, but it emphasizes ball placement. It is a beautiful track. Driving range is large and you hit down a hill, which is different. Dues and initiation will be on the higher side. Plus, you may have to take a caddy or forecaddie before a certain time of day, which can range from 40-80 per round or more. Also, it is a club in which you need quite a few sponsors, however, if you reach out, they will probably introduce you to a membership committee and other members. I am guessing most of the members there will not be in your age group, but I could be wrong.

>

> New Jersey National is also an excellent course. Is it as nice and prestigious as Morris County? No. But you get a nice golf course and practice facility. It is just golf and the restaurant is open to the public. However, you can walk the course at any time at no additional fee. It is longer than Morris County, but the dues are very reasonable and I do not recall them having an initiation fee. Plus, you get reciprocal privileges at a few other courses, including Pine Barrens, in Ocean County, which is another excellent course. If you come down to the shore for a weekend(s), you can golf there.

>

> I have not played Colonia in at least 10 years but I remember it being a nice facility. They have done a lot of renovations over the years to the clubhouse. The course I recall being nice and like Morris County, not very long by today's standards.

>

> I have not played Forest Hill but visited the place. The clubhouse is great and had a great group of guys in various age ranges. The mens locker room had its own bar along with a shuffleboard table as well.

>

> A few other options I would consider are Metuchen Golf & Country Club in Edision, Knickerbocker Country Club in Tenafly & Suburban Golf Club in Union.

>

> The good thing about joining a club in the 27-28 range is that a lot of clubs have dues tiered based on age. Shop around, explore and find the club that is right for you and your buddies.

>

> If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to DM or reach out to me in this post.

I appreciate the response....This was very helpful. We all have cars so transportation is not an issue. We would like to keep it within 30-45 minutes. Our budget is flexible, but to satisfy everyone in the 5-10k range. I have heard back from NJ National and they sent me over details which seems very reasonable. I played Colonia last week and the course was in pretty good shape...need to be accurate as fairways are somewhat narrow.

I will check out Metuchen, Knickerbocker and Suburban. I appreciate your response!

> @HotDom said:

> > @NJgolfer11 said:

> > > @HotDom said:

> > > Hey All,

> > > Three buddies and myself are looking at possible country clubs to join within a 30-45 minute drive of the Jersey City/Hoboken area. We are 27-28 years old and figured it is time to join a club with the amount of time/money we already spend. Colonia CC is running a great deal at the moment for people our age, but I was wondering what else was out there and if anyone could point me in the right direction.....I have sent emails to New Jersey National Golf Club, Morris County Golf Club and Forest Hills FC. Any others that might be worth getting in talks with? I appreciate any help!

> >

> > Although I do not live in the area, I have played many clubs in that area.

> > First question is what is your budget as far as all in monthly dues and initiation fee?

> > Second, are you looking for just golf or do you want other amenities such as pool or tennis?

> > Third, how far are you willing to drive, Uber, Train?

> >

> > Morris County Golf Club is an excellent course. It is not overly long based on today's golf courses, but it emphasizes ball placement. It is a beautiful track. Driving range is large and you hit down a hill, which is different. Dues and initiation will be on the higher side. Plus, you may have to take a caddy or forecaddie before a certain time of day, which can range from 40-80 per round or more. Also, it is a club in which you need quite a few sponsors, however, if you reach out, they will probably introduce you to a membership committee and other members. I am guessing most of the members there will not be in your age group, but I could be wrong.

> >

> > New Jersey National is also an excellent course. Is it as nice and prestigious as Morris County? No. But you get a nice golf course and practice facility. It is just golf and the restaurant is open to the public. However, you can walk the course at any time at no additional fee. It is longer than Morris County, but the dues are very reasonable and I do not recall them having an initiation fee. Plus, you get reciprocal privileges at a few other courses, including Pine Barrens, in Ocean County, which is another excellent course. If you come down to the shore for a weekend(s), you can golf there.

> >

> > I have not played Colonia in at least 10 years but I remember it being a nice facility. They have done a lot of renovations over the years to the clubhouse. The course I recall being nice and like Morris County, not very long by today's standards.

> >

> > I have not played Forest Hill but visited the place. The clubhouse is great and had a great group of guys in various age ranges. The mens locker room had its own bar along with a shuffleboard table as well.

> >

> > A few other options I would consider are Metuchen Golf & Country Club in Edision, Knickerbocker Country Club in Tenafly & Suburban Golf Club in Union.

> >

> > The good thing about joining a club in the 27-28 range is that a lot of clubs have dues tiered based on age. Shop around, explore and find the club that is right for you and your buddies.

> >

> > If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to DM or reach out to me in this post.

>

> I appreciate the response....This was very helpful. We all have cars so transportation is not an issue. We would like to keep it within 30-45 minutes. Our budget is flexible, but to satisfy everyone in the 5-10k range. I have heard back from NJ National and they sent me over details which seems very reasonable. I played Colonia last week and the course was in pretty good shape...need to be accurate as fairways are somewhat narrow.

>

> I will check out Metuchen, Knickerbocker and Suburban. I appreciate your response!

I am glad I could help.

At 5-10k, NJ National is going to be your best bet.

According to information I have from the last few years, all of the other clubs I mentioned should work in your budget, except Morris County. I do not know if they offer tiered dues, so it would be best to reach out to them.

They all include a small initiation fee, but you may be able to work out where you pay none or you can pay it off in a few years. Also, keep in mind food/beverage minimums. Some clubs do not include alcohol towards the minimum.

Good luck in your search! It is a fun time.

I think Knickerbocker is probably the only other one within 30-45 minutes that will fall into the 5-10k budget. Forest Hill potentially, but no reason to join there over Knickerbocker IMO. Its super nice and all but I just feel the course just isn't quite worth the price tag. I joined NJN earlier this year and am loving it. Feel free to reach out with any questions or give a shout when you come out for a preview day and maybe we can swing the sticks. If you don't care about not being allowed to play mornings or club tournaments I think Essex County has a "Tier C" membership that is in your range without an initiation. If you don't care about a 10-15k initiation fee, Hamilton Farm would fall into your budget at around 7-8k/year but you have to take carts/caddies pretty much all the time, etc. Phenomenal place though. Technically Upper Montclair quotes themselves as in that budget but in reality it'll be a good bit more expensive after all their add on expenses. Last one I would suggest checking out is Green Brook Country Club. Okay golf course in awesome shape always and a great staff. Idk what their initiation is currently but dues should be in your bucket.

> @mkunes01 said:

> I think Knickerbocker is probably the only other one within 30-45 minutes that will fall into the 5-10k budget. Forest Hill potentially, but no reason to join there over Knickerbocker IMO. Its super nice and all but I just feel the course just isn't quite worth the price tag. I joined NJN earlier this year and am loving it. Feel free to reach out with any questions or give a shout when you come out for a preview day and maybe we can swing the sticks. If you don't care about not being allowed to play mornings or club tournaments I think Essex County has a "Tier C" membership that is in your range without an initiation. If you don't care about a 10-15k initiation fee, Hamilton Farm would fall into your budget at around 7-8k/year but you have to take carts/caddies pretty much all the time, etc. Phenomenal place though. Technically Upper Montclair quotes themselves as in that budget but in reality it'll be a good bit more expensive after all their add on expenses. Last one I would suggest checking out is Green Brook Country Club. Okay golf course in awesome shape always and a great staff. Idk what their initiation is currently but dues should be in your bucket.

Definitely will hit you up if I check out NJN.....I definitely prefer early tee times so Essex County wouldn't work. Hamilton Farm is that cheap? I thought for sure it was on the higher end? Heard back from Upper Montclair yesterday and they are way out of the range.

> @HotDom said:

> > @mkunes01 said:

> > I think Knickerbocker is probably the only other one within 30-45 minutes that will fall into the 5-10k budget. Forest Hill potentially, but no reason to join there over Knickerbocker IMO. Its super nice and all but I just feel the course just isn't quite worth the price tag. I joined NJN earlier this year and am loving it. Feel free to reach out with any questions or give a shout when you come out for a preview day and maybe we can swing the sticks. If you don't care about not being allowed to play mornings or club tournaments I think Essex County has a "Tier C" membership that is in your range without an initiation. If you don't care about a 10-15k initiation fee, Hamilton Farm would fall into your budget at around 7-8k/year but you have to take carts/caddies pretty much all the time, etc. Phenomenal place though. Technically Upper Montclair quotes themselves as in that budget but in reality it'll be a good bit more expensive after all their add on expenses. Last one I would suggest checking out is Green Brook Country Club. Okay golf course in awesome shape always and a great staff. Idk what their initiation is currently but dues should be in your bucket.

>

> Definitely will hit you up if I check out NJN.....I definitely prefer early tee times so Essex County wouldn't work. Hamilton Farm is that cheap? I thought for sure it was on the higher end? Heard back from Upper Montclair yesterday and they are way out of the range.

Yeah surprisingly enough the annual dues for our age bracket aren't crazy at Hamilton. However, they obviously escalate as you get older and ~15k initiation isn't cheap

Knickerbocker is an awesome course but I believe the dues are a bit higher then $10k.

Titleist TSI3 Fuji Ventus Blue TR 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 15* Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7X

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19* Graphite Design AD DI Hybrid 85x 

Ping i210 4-PW Nippon Modus 120X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 8F 56* 10S 60* 8M DG S300

Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5 BGT LE Stability Shaft

Titleist Prov1x

> @mkunes01 said:

> I think Knickerbocker is probably the only other one within 30-45 minutes that will fall into the 5-10k budget. Forest Hill potentially, but no reason to join there over Knickerbocker IMO. Its super nice and all but I just feel the course just isn't quite worth the price tag. I joined NJN earlier this year and am loving it. Feel free to reach out with any questions or give a shout when you come out for a preview day and maybe we can swing the sticks. If you don't care about not being allowed to play mornings or club tournaments I think Essex County has a "Tier C" membership that is in your range without an initiation. If you don't care about a 10-15k initiation fee, Hamilton Farm would fall into your budget at around 7-8k/year but you have to take carts/caddies pretty much all the time, etc. Phenomenal place though. Technically Upper Montclair quotes themselves as in that budget but in reality it'll be a good bit more expensive after all their add on expenses. Last one I would suggest checking out is Green Brook Country Club. Okay golf course in awesome shape always and a great staff. Idk what their initiation is currently but dues should be in your bucket.

My buddy joined on a junior membership at Hamilton last year. $25k initiation fee.

Titleist TSI3 Fuji Ventus Blue TR 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 15* Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7X

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19* Graphite Design AD DI Hybrid 85x 

Ping i210 4-PW Nippon Modus 120X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 8F 56* 10S 60* 8M DG S300

Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5 BGT LE Stability Shaft

Titleist Prov1x

Check out Maplewood Country Club in Maplewood, NJ. It ticks a lot of the boxes for someone in NYC/Hoboken with or without a budget. No traffic its about a 35 minute drive to get there but is also a short walk (about a par 5) from the train station in Maplewood so no car is required. They have trial memberships that are 12-18 months long and then discounted dues for members under 40.

https://www.maplewoodcountryclub.com/Membership

> @nicu2001 said:

> Check out Maplewood Country Club in Maplewood, NJ. It ticks a lot of the boxes for someone in NYC/Hoboken with or without a budget. No traffic its about a 35 minute drive to get there but is also a short walk (about a par 5) from the train station in Maplewood so no car is required. They have trial memberships that are 12-18 months long and then discounted dues for members under 40.

>

> https://www.maplewoodcountryclub.com/Membership

Maplewood as a whole is not a great course IMO. Starts off with a par 5 and then the only other one is like hole 13 or 14. Course ends on a shore par 3.

They do have an introductory membership that is affordable, but after that it jump significantly.

> @NJgolfer11 said:

> > @nicu2001 said:

> > Check out Maplewood Country Club in Maplewood, NJ. It ticks a lot of the boxes for someone in NYC/Hoboken with or without a budget. No traffic its about a 35 minute drive to get there but is also a short walk (about a par 5) from the train station in Maplewood so no car is required. They have trial memberships that are 12-18 months long and then discounted dues for members under 40.

> >

> > https://www.maplewoodcountryclub.com/Membership

>

> Maplewood as a whole is not a great course IMO. Starts off with a par 5 and then the only other one is like hole 13 or 14. Course ends on a shore par 3.

>

> They do have an introductory membership that is affordable, but after that it jump significantly.

Maplewood has gotten a bad rap in my opinion on being quirky. It is a tough course and always in great shape and the greens are excellent. The MGA recently hosted the IKE Qualifier there and the course held up well and my friends who played said it was great: https://www.mgagolf.org/results/2019/IkeSQR/Maplewood

A good walk through: http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/Maplewood/index.html

Post introductory membership, dues are much lower for people under 40 and in line with every other club above 40. And it is hard to beat the convenience of the location.

> @BDowning said:

> > @mkunes01 said:

> > I think Knickerbocker is probably the only other one within 30-45 minutes that will fall into the 5-10k budget. Forest Hill potentially, but no reason to join there over Knickerbocker IMO. Its super nice and all but I just feel the course just isn't quite worth the price tag. I joined NJN earlier this year and am loving it. Feel free to reach out with any questions or give a shout when you come out for a preview day and maybe we can swing the sticks. If you don't care about not being allowed to play mornings or club tournaments I think Essex County has a "Tier C" membership that is in your range without an initiation. If you don't care about a 10-15k initiation fee, Hamilton Farm would fall into your budget at around 7-8k/year but you have to take carts/caddies pretty much all the time, etc. Phenomenal place though. Technically Upper Montclair quotes themselves as in that budget but in reality it'll be a good bit more expensive after all their add on expenses. Last one I would suggest checking out is Green Brook Country Club. Okay golf course in awesome shape always and a great staff. Idk what their initiation is currently but dues should be in your bucket.

>

> My buddy joined on a junior membership at Hamilton last year. $25k initiation fee.

Yeah but 10/15k if you pay upfront

+1 for Fiddler's Elbow. Montclair has good junior membership options, and is not far from you. They also have four nines to choose from. I have friends who are members at White Beeches, and it's a great little track with a lot of competitive members and a bunch of different club tournaments. Fairmont is a bit more of a drive but a beautiful layout. Hackensack would be cool. I hear Ridgewood actually has a reasonable junior rate surprisingly. Essex would be incredible to join too. Alpine would be the shiz! Have you heard of Eligo? A few of my friends do that, and it's amazing for all the courses you get in the area. Seriously like 30+ courses you can go to, and they are all super legit.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS with LA Golf Trono 65-TX

3w: Callaway Rogue ST LS 13.5 with LA Golf Bryson Series 75-TX

4H: Mizuno ST-Z 230 w/ UST LIN-Q Blue F5-78 X (19.75 E Loft / 58 Lie / 3 Face Angle)

4-PW: Mizuno JPX 923 Tour w/ KBS Tour 120-S

GW/SW/LW: Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50/07-S, 55/09-D, 60/06-X w/ KBS Tour 120-S

Putter: 2023 Odyssey White Hot Versa Double Wide