Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

> @Aucaveman said:

> Quick update on my sl journey. I preordered the Cobra ftb ones last year. I have shot my lowest scores ever with them. But i still had a 2 way miss and a bad primary left miss. I got fit at my course for mizunos (thats all they sell), on the optimizer. The shaft i was fit into has virtually eliminated my left miss. I tied my career low of 70 yesterday. I think the cobras are going on ebay. If anyone is interested, i have the 4 and 5 hybrid, 5-pw, gw, and 56sw. They're great irons and have no problem playing them or sl, but seeing the difference the shaft makes I'm sold on the mizunos just because of shafts.

What type of shaft do you have in your Cobra Forged Tec Blacks?

> @JDCON said:

> > @Aucaveman said:

> > Quick update on my sl journey. I preordered the Cobra ftb ones last year. I have shot my lowest scores ever with them. But i still had a 2 way miss and a bad primary left miss. I got fit at my course for mizunos (thats all they sell), on the optimizer. The shaft i was fit into has virtually eliminated my left miss. I tied my career low of 70 yesterday. I think the cobras are going on ebay. If anyone is interested, i have the 4 and 5 hybrid, 5-pw, gw, and 56sw. They're great irons and have no problem playing them or sl, but seeing the difference the shaft makes I'm sold on the mizunos just because of shafts.

>

> What type of shaft do you have in your Cobra Forged Tec Blacks?

I have the recoil 780 es smacwrap f5. The hybrids have the same. The 56sw has the recoil 95. The shafts were ok for me, but i was used to steel, but I was suffering from elbow pain so i went with the recoils. They fixed that.

• 2 weeks later...

Less than a month after setting my career best with my Forged Ones, I'm struggling to find a ballflight and swing that I'm happy with. I think I'm mentally stuck between what I want to do, and what I think physics will allow me to do.

What I want to do is have the ability to take more smooth 75-80% long iron swings, reducing spin and increasing accuracy. When I try this with my SL's, it works fine in the short irons but I can't keep the ball airborne and get any distance with the long irons. For instance, if I'm 170 yards out, that's a full 7 iron with my SL's (160ish carry, slight roll). If the wind hurts at all I'll end up short. What I want to be able to do is drop down to a 6i or a 5i, take a smoother, easier swing with less back and side spin and lower trajectory, and hit it that same carry distance. What I see happening is it doesn't have the speed to maintain the trajectory, and just falls out of the sky, so I end up even shorter. My long irons rely too much on rollout, so even my 4i (200 yds) and 3i (210 yds) only carry about the same as my 5-7i then add more roll to get to their final distance. On a wet day or early morning round, my maximum iron distance for all of my long irons is about the carry distance of my 6i, 170ish.

So I've made some slight adjustments to the long irons in one of my old sets (2006 Hogan Apex Edge) to integrate some of the ease-of-use features of SL's (shortened the 3i, 4i and 5i shafts to half their normal length progression and added a little headweight to each), and I'm going to take both sets to a simulator later this week and really try to figure out what I can/can't do with both.

My journey with SL's is on life support... wish me luck.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Not all SL sets/designs are created equal. You have roughly the same swing speed as me - I'd drop the 3-4 and get a hybrid or two at a longer length. I play the Sterlings; the lofts are not the same as a traditional set, I hit my SL 5 iron longer than a traditional 4 iron. Partly cause Wishon figured out how to get the long irons playable at a shorter length with his spring-face engineered design in the 7-4. But I can't get the 4 in the air enough to gap beyond my 5 - so I go to a utility/hybrid at that point. Concept works

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

> @Mych said:

> Less than a month after setting my career best with my Forged Ones, I'm struggling to find a ballflight and swing that I'm happy with. I think I'm mentally stuck between what I want to do, and what I think physics will allow me to do.

> What I want to do is have the ability to take more smooth 75-80% long iron swings, reducing spin and increasing accuracy. When I try this with my SL's, it works fine in the short irons but I can't keep the ball airborne and get any distance with the long irons. For instance, if I'm 170 yards out, that's a full 7 iron with my SL's (160ish carry, slight roll). If the wind hurts at all I'll end up short. What I want to be able to do is drop down to a 6i or a 5i, take a smoother, easier swing with less back and side spin and lower trajectory, and hit it that same carry distance. What I see happening is it doesn't have the speed to maintain the trajectory, and just falls out of the sky, so I end up even shorter. My long irons rely too much on rollout, so even my 4i (200 yds) and 3i (210 yds) only carry about the same as my 5-7i then add more roll to get to their final distance. On a wet day or early morning round, my maximum iron distance for all of my long irons is about the carry distance of my 6i, 170ish.

>

> So I've made some slight adjustments to the long irons in one of my old sets (2006 Hogan Apex Edge) to integrate some of the ease-of-use features of SL's (shortened the 3i, 4i and 5i shafts to half their normal length progression and added a little headweight to each), and I'm going to take both sets to a simulator later this week and really try to figure out what I can/can't do with both.

>

> My journey with SL's is on life support... wish me luck.

Well... my SL's surged back to life on the range last night. A little adjustment to my hand position and swing plane, and everything felt good again. I'm still not sure about ballflights (still very low in 3 & 4 iron) but I think my ballstriking was probably worse than I thought during the last few rounds, and I took my frustration out on the SL concept rather than my swing. Lesson learned.

WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

> @Mych said:

> Less than a month after setting my career best with my Forged Ones, I'm struggling to find a ballflight and swing that I'm happy with. I think I'm mentally stuck between what I want to do, and what I think physics will allow me to do.

> What I want to do is have the ability to take more smooth 75-80% long iron swings, reducing spin and increasing accuracy. When I try this with my SL's, it works fine in the short irons but I can't keep the ball airborne and get any distance with the long irons. For instance, if I'm 170 yards out, that's a full 7 iron with my SL's (160ish carry, slight roll). If the wind hurts at all I'll end up short. What I want to be able to do is drop down to a 6i or a 5i, take a smoother, easier swing with less back and side spin and lower trajectory, and hit it that same carry distance. What I see happening is it doesn't have the speed to maintain the trajectory, and just falls out of the sky, so I end up even shorter. My long irons rely too much on rollout, so even my 4i (200 yds) and 3i (210 yds) only carry about the same as my 5-7i then add more roll to get to their final distance. On a wet day or early morning round, my maximum iron distance for all of my long irons is about the carry distance of my 6i, 170ish.

>

> So I've made some slight adjustments to the long irons in one of my old sets (2006 Hogan Apex Edge) to integrate some of the ease-of-use features of SL's (shortened the 3i, 4i and 5i shafts to half their normal length progression and added a little headweight to each), and I'm going to take both sets to a simulator later this week and really try to figure out what I can/can't do with both.

>

When I had my F8 OL last year, I went through the exact same scenario as you are going through. It was always the 4 & 5 irons that would kill my game. You can spend all the range time to make these irons work but in play, the length is just TOO reliant on the roll to get the distance. That sucks if you have to carry 200 yards over a bunker and you only make 190 and rely on the 15 for the roll to the pin. Hello Bunker. Won't work. On the short end, the ball fly too high. 7 months of the F8 OL convinced me to go back to the VL P790s.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

> @Mych said:

>

>

When you get tired of the Forged Ones, please send them to me. Thank you.

• Like 1

Long term update: rant

So,, I've not been in a slump, just hit a wall. I have been playing the Cobra F7 one's for just about 3 seasons now - much of one was consumed by a knee injury/surgery. And, while I love the simple (to me) set up and execution of a similar swing, I have been noticing yardage losses. Yes I am older, will be 55 next March, so I do expect to see some losses, but I think the one length is compounding this. My 4 and 5 iron have always been close, but now add the 6i to the mix. Really frustrating.. Additionally, while I think I have played better and more consistently, my handicap still hovers at 12.5

I still love the concept, and I am financially tied to these for at least another season, but I am beginning to question..

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Hey @"Mr. Grumpy" what about adding the SL hybrids to the top end of the bag to help with gapping?

It sounds like this could be a fixable issue. I know my 4-5 irons in my SL set have some bunching/yardage issues and I went with the 4H which brought it back to a more reasonable gapping.

One hybrid might be cheaper than scrapping the whole idea. JMO.

> @Mcgeeno said:

> Hey @"Mr. Grumpy" what about adding the SL hybrids to the top end of the bag to help with gapping?

>

> It sounds like this could be a fixable issue. I know my 4-5 irons in my SL set have some bunching/yardage issues and I went with the 4H which brought it back to a more reasonable gapping.

>

> One hybrid might be cheaper than scrapping the whole idea. JMO.

Totally,,, not against it and likely my next move. Just frustrating.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on Sterlings for a number of seasons and I found bunching after the 6 iron for my swing speed. Popped into conventional hybrids after that and it's been great. So from 6 iron down to 62* everything is the same... 4 & 5 Cobra F8 hybrids after that.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

> @V14_heels said:

> I just bought a set of single length clubs but one thing I'm struggling to find is a long lob wedge 60* to match. Has anyone got a decent lob wedge to fit with there set of one lengths whether it be Cobra, Edels or even GigaGolf. None of them have a LW with there sets.

Get the Wishon, Sterling - excellent LW

797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
20+ wedges!

Back in love with my Forged Ones, but may demo a set of Forged Tec Black One's and hunt for a steal this winter. The Forged One's have held a lot of value on the used market, so I could probably turn mine into a set of Forged Tec Black One's relatively cheap.

My only hesitation is that the newer model has a lot more offset, so I need to demo that. I have the newer 3 iron (Forged One's didn't offer a 3i), and that club is incredibly sweet to hit.

Glad to see this thread pop up again so I can share an experience with Cobras. I reshafted my F7s with TTXL95/S shafts. I didn't flight the shafts; I tip trimmed them all the same. The length, lie, swing weight and MOI of all the clubs are as identical as I could make them. Yet, there are differences. Specifically, the 4- and 5-irons behave entirely differently. The 5 is as consistent a club as I've ever owned. Straight and true. The 4, on the other hand, is all over the place. I have no idea why. The dispersion can't be explained by loft alone. I'm going to pull the shaft on the 4 and do it again, but I can't imagine what the difference would be.

> @V14_heels said:

> How many of you all are playing OL 4/5-PW but still playing traditional wedges. I have a VL 52, 56 and 60 that I'm thinking of just continuing to play, but who has truly explored both options using the OL wedges vs. VL wedges?

As I’ve mentioned previously, I use a standard VL SW. I’m strongly considering complementing my SL GW with VL GW to use for partial shots. The issue is that when I grip an SL club down for a partial shot, the SW becomes unusably light.

> @V14_heels said:

> How many of you all are playing OL 4/5-PW but still playing traditional wedges. I have a VL 52, 56 and 60 that I'm thinking of just continuing to play, but who has truly explored both options using the OL wedges vs. VL wedges?

My 56 and 60 degree wedges are old friends and not leaving the bag anytime in the near future.

Finally picked up the Pinhawk 6 iron head to finish my set. Haven't decided when/if I'll take them on course, I've been playing fairly well with my Rams.

But, eventually theyll hit the course again

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @V14_heels said:

I replaced my Forged One PW with a Forged Tour PW (standard wedge length). I just found that when I was inside flag-hunting range (<150), I want a bit more precision and need to be able to control apex and spin a little better than I could with the One Length PW.

I just wanted to add a data point to the Sterling vs. Cobra discussion. I recently switched to Cobra F7s from Sterlings, because I wanted to play a longer club. The Sterlings typically play to 8-iron length, while the Cobras play to 7-iron length. One thing I've noticed is that while my Sterlings were super accurate, the Cobras are much less so. I was often surprised how often I would drop a Sterling exactly on the number I intended. But, the Cobras are exhibit far more variation. My Cobra 9-iron, for example, can run anywhere from 120 to 140 yards. Not sure why that would be the case, but it is. Might be the shafts. The Sterlings have TTDG/S shafts, whereas the Sterlings have TTXL95/S shafts.

• 2 weeks later...

> @V14_heels said:

I carry two old wedges, the Callaway Forged Vintage circa 2003. They are +1" and 3* upright but are significantly shorter than my SLS01 irons. I keep talking about getting new wedges, then I play these and those thoughts leave my head. I have contemplated getting an SLS01 55* wedge and using it as a "12 iron", but have just not gotten around to it.

> @MountainGoat said:

> I just wanted to add a data point to the Sterling vs. Cobra discussion. I recently switched to Cobra F7s from Sterlings, because I wanted to play a longer club. The Sterlings typically play to 8-iron length, while the Cobras play to 7-iron length. One thing I've noticed is that while my Sterlings were super accurate, the Cobras are much less so. I was often surprised how often I would drop a Sterling exactly on the number I intended. But, the Cobras are exhibit far more variation. My Cobra 9-iron, for example, can run anywhere from 120 to 140 yards. Not sure why that would be the case, but it is. Might be the shafts. The Sterlings have TTDG/S shafts, whereas the Sterlings have TTXL95/S shafts.

I do not have Sterlings to compare, but I have noticed that my yardage varies like you describe, x3 in windy conditions because the ball flight is higher. As I have gotten better, with the SL concept and as a golfer, I notice this more often now which leads to frustration. Really causes pause when the greens are guarded...

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier this year I went with a set of Edel single length irons and tried them out for a month or so but just couldn't get on with them. I always intended to go back to them and give them another try and last week I did. It re-affirmed a lot of my previous comments; my main issue if with the gapping of the clubs, especially with the wedge. I play with a standard GW, SW & LW but the single length PW. My stock PW is around 135 but the SL PW will go around 145, the 9 iron almost 160.

If I am to look at these clubs again (because I love the control and stability of the longer irons) I think I need to spend some time doing some proper gapping work on a launch monitor.

What do you do for you transition from SL to VL iron (I guess it's at the same point I'm working with)? I'm almost tempted to carry 4 VL wedges and then use the SL PW as a my VL 9 iron distance (if that makes sense!). Or do you just adjust the lofts on your SL irons to match? My only concern with that would be increasing the lofts further on the PW as that may send the ball way too high (I already hit a high ball as it is).

> @ry1808 said:

> What do you do for you transition from SL to VL iron? I'm almost tempted to carry 4 VL wedges and then use the SL PW as a my VL 9 iron distance (if that makes sense!). Or do you just adjust the lofts on your SL irons to match? My only concern with that would be increasing the lofts further on the PW as that may send the ball way too high (I already hit a high ball as it is).

As it stands now, I've got too big a gap between my VL SW and SL GW. So, I'm about ready to start carrying a second GW. One would be an SL and the other a standard VL.

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @ry1808 said:

> > What do you do for you transition from SL to VL iron? I'm almost tempted to carry 4 VL wedges and then use the SL PW as a my VL 9 iron distance (if that makes sense!). Or do you just adjust the lofts on your SL irons to match? My only concern with that would be increasing the lofts further on the PW as that may send the ball way too high (I already hit a high ball as it is).

> As it stands now, I've got too big a gap between my VL SW and SL GW. So, I'm about ready to start carrying a second GW. One would be an SL and the other a standard VL.

>

That's the way I'm thinking of going. Although I may just end up weakening the Edel PW and 9 iron to bring them back into my stock yardages. Did anyone else have to do a lot of work with loft adjustment to get the numbers they are looking for?

Inconsistant with VL Pings played since 2018 (played SL in 2017). Put Pinhawks back in back to try something different. Played well 3 rounds and then game fell apart last night (just a bad night, 3rd day in a row playing). SL SW goes to high and short, so playing VL SW. VL Hybrids instead of SL long irons (not enough swing speed for SL). So I am back on the SL bandwagon, whoo-hoo! I would love to try a Sterling or Edel, but no LH.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

> @Milfordlefty said:

> Inconsistant with VL Pings played since 2018 (played SL in 2017). Put Pinhawks back in back to try something different. Played well 3 rounds and then game fell apart last night (just a bad night, 3rd day in a row playing). SL SW goes to high and short, so playing VL SW. VL Hybrids instead of SL long irons (not enough swing speed for SL). So I am back on the SL bandwagon, whoo-hoo! I would love to try a Sterling or Edel, but no LH.

Sterlings have now offered a lefty version

797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
20+ wedges!