Bridgestone Tour B X vs Tour B XS

zbeard23

> @kcd38 said:

> After being a long time BXS and Pro V1 player, I played a few holes with the BX and was pleasantly surprised. Especially with my driver. It definitely spun less and gave me an extra 10-15 yards. It also felt great off of my irons. It feels a little harder with my wedges and putter, but not clicky. I guess more responsive is the best way to put it. Good strikes feel solid/soft. I am going to use it this weekend and see how it goes

After playing a round with the Tour B X, I am impressed. For me, it is better off of the driver and long irons than the B XS (probably due to the reduction in spin as I am a higher spin player). The feel is slightly more firm than the B XS. I found it to be very similar to the 2017 Pro V1 or Pro V1X. The best part about the round was how straight the ball was flying. Off of good strikes the ball felt great off of the driver face and had a steady climb, plateau, and decent. No steep climb and float like I have seen with higher spin balls.

Around the greens, the tour B XS is 'better' because I am so used to how it performs. But to my surprise although the Tour B X felt a little firmer it still had plenty of bite and control. If you account for slightly more roll than the Tour B XS it is not a huge difference.

ok so i played the bxs today and bought a sleeve, it is so nice off all wedges, had my best driving day to date, hitting all fairways but 3 , 2 i over shot into the rough. the sound off the driver is very very nice, better then the bx i played that i found last week.

it’s a little different off the putter compared to my game ball snell mtb and i left literally everything short. played 18 holes with the ball and it still looks brand new. i’m going to keep playing it for now to see if i can figure out the putter situation.

• Like 1

> @cpeck said:

> ok so i played the bxs today and bought a sleeve, it is so nice off all wedges, had my best driving day to date, hitting all fairways but 3 , 2 i over shot into the rough. the sound off the driver is very very nice, better then the bx i played that i found last week.

> it’s a little different off the putter compared to my game ball snell mtb and i left literally everything short. played 18 holes with the ball and it still looks brand new. i’m going to keep playing it for now to see if i can figure out the putter situation.

What do you mean by better sound off the driver? More muted? I haven’t played the BX yet but several reviews lately make me think I’d like the BX.

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

TSR2 16.5 / Ventus TR Red 7X

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

Artisan HC 6-P / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Artisan 49, 54, 59 / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Revolving Putter

After another round yesterday of hitting both at every shot, can say I prefer the BX. Biggest difference is I prefer the slightly firmer feel of BX off the putter, and the BX seems to jump just a bit more off the face from the tee with stronger straighter flight.

TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Mavrik 3W / Maltby KE4 FDI 19 / Callaway Mavrik Pro 3H / Maltby TS1 4-GW / Callaway MD2 56 / Odyssey Double Wide / Titleist Pro V1

I appreciate everyone coming back to chime in after some more testing. Much of what I’m hearing convinced me I’d like the BX better. Time to try another new ball!

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

Revolving Putter

I bought a dozen Tour B X on a whim last week. I had tried the XS when they came out but lost distance compared to B330S and I didn't think the feel was significantly better than the previous model off the irons though I did like it off the putter.

I tried the B X on Sunday and found them to be very straight and long off the tee but was struggling with the feel off the wedges and putter. I put them in play in a qualifier I had on Tuesday and ended up making 6 birdies and medaling, but just could not get used to the feel of this ball around the greens. The performance off the tee and with mid/long irons is really, really good and I'm hoping it's just me not finding the center with the wedges, and I'll be able to adjust with the putter because despite playing as well as I did I felt uncomfortable around the greens with the B X. I'm going to keep it in play for a few rounds and see if my short game warms up to it, otherwise I may go back to B330S....... again.....

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

• 2 months later...

For a good ball striker, does the XS really have that much more spin than the X? Or is it mainly just the feel? I’ve seen some reviews about the XS getting a little squirrly on drives. How much difference in spin are we talking, 200-400 rpm? If it is only that much it seems as though the X is the “better” ball all around, with the XS giving the preference of being softer, at least for the good ball striker that is compressing the golf ball.

> @arog_sopure said:

> For a good ball striker, does the XS really have that much more spin than the X? Or is it mainly just the feel? I’ve seen some reviews about the XS getting a little squirrly on drives. How much difference in spin are we talking, 200-400 rpm? If it is only that much it seems as though the X is the “better” ball all around, with the XS giving the preference of being softer, at least for the good ball striker that is compressing the golf ball.

I use both (1.3 index currently) and this is how I determine which version to use. They are essentially interchangeable for me... honestly, not sure there is that much difference other than XS feels a bit softer, though it's not like the X is a rock... the only certainty is that if it is really windy, I **always** use the X as it is so much more stable in higher winds.

XS = colder weather, no wind, and/or very firm course

X = **windy**, soft conditions, and/or scramble tournament (it is slightly longer off most clubs for me)

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

> @arog_sopure said:

> For a good ball striker, does the XS really have that much more spin than the X? Or is it mainly just the feel? I’ve seen some reviews about the XS getting a little squirrly on drives. How much difference in spin are we talking, 200-400 rpm? If it is only that much it seems as though the X is the “better” ball all around, with the XS giving the preference of being softer, at least for the good ball striker that is compressing the golf ball.

i know based on my experiences that the XS spins enough that it's roughly 5y shorter than the BX...on drives it not necessarily more squirrel-y it's just a bit shorter. the x spins plenty enough for me around greens - the xs checks quite hard (can be good, or bad).

• Like 1

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @arog_sopure said:

> > For a good ball striker, does the XS really have that much more spin than the X? Or is it mainly just the feel? I’ve seen some reviews about the XS getting a little squirrly on drives. How much difference in spin are we talking, 200-400 rpm? If it is only that much it seems as though the X is the “better” ball all around, with the XS giving the preference of being softer, at least for the good ball striker that is compressing the golf ball.

>

> i know based on my experiences that the XS spins enough that it's roughly 5y shorter than the BX...on drives it not necessarily more squirrel-y it's just a bit shorter. the x spins plenty enough for me around greens - the xs checks quite hard (can be good, or bad.

Thank you, that makes sense to me. I’ve seen some reviews that say XS feels airy on contact. But when Tiger plays a ball you have to think it’s great, i guess i really just need to hit it.

> @arog_sopure said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @arog_sopure said:

> > > For a good ball striker, does the XS really have that much more spin than the X? Or is it mainly just the feel? I’ve seen some reviews about the XS getting a little squirrly on drives. How much difference in spin are we talking, 200-400 rpm? If it is only that much it seems as though the X is the “better” ball all around, with the XS giving the preference of being softer, at least for the good ball striker that is compressing the golf ball.

> >

> > i know based on my experiences that the XS spins enough that it's roughly 5y shorter than the BX...on drives it not necessarily more squirrel-y it's just a bit shorter. the x spins plenty enough for me around greens - the xs checks quite hard (can be good, or bad.

>

> Thank you, that makes sense to me. I’ve seen some reviews that say XS feels airy on contact. But when Tiger plays a ball you have to think it’s great, i guess i really just need to hit it.

>

>

it's definitely softer off the driver than the x...but not i'm not saying the x plays like a rock-flite either. the x is still in line with PV1x or TP5x feel

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @cmb71 said:

> > @arog_sopure said:

> > For a good ball striker, does the XS really have that much more spin than the X? Or is it mainly just the feel? I’ve seen some reviews about the XS getting a little squirrly on drives. How much difference in spin are we talking, 200-400 rpm? If it is only that much it seems as though the X is the “better” ball all around, with the XS giving the preference of being softer, at least for the good ball striker that is compressing the golf ball.

>

> I use both (1.3 index currently) and this is how I determine which version to use. They are essentially interchangeable for me... honestly, not sure there is that much difference other than XS feels a bit softer, though it's not like the X is a rock... the only certainty is that if it is really windy, I **always** use the X as it is so much more stable in higher winds.

>

> XS = colder weather, no wind, and/or very firm course

> X = **windy**, soft conditions, and/or scramble tournament (it is slightly longer off most clubs for me)

This answer makes a lot of sense to me and is what I’ve been thinking is a possibility for me as well. I’m a 5.2 index currently and in Oregon where the winters are wet, windy and soft. Summers can get warm/hot. I’ve only played the X and it was in winter so I’m curious if the ball will hold greens with mid and long irons (greens running at 11-13). Maybe it’s a situation where i play the XS in dry/fast conditions. Have you been able to hold greens with the X on mid to long irons?

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @arog_sopure said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @arog_sopure said:

> > > > For a good ball striker, does the XS really have that much more spin than the X? Or is it mainly just the feel? I’ve seen some reviews about the XS getting a little squirrly on drives. How much difference in spin are we talking, 200-400 rpm? If it is only that much it seems as though the X is the “better” ball all around, with the XS giving the preference of being softer, at least for the good ball striker that is compressing the golf ball.

> > >

> > > i know based on my experiences that the XS spins enough that it's roughly 5y shorter than the BX...on drives it not necessarily more squirrel-y it's just a bit shorter. the x spins plenty enough for me around greens - the xs checks quite hard (can be good, or bad.

> >

> > Thank you, that makes sense to me. I’ve seen some reviews that say XS feels airy on contact. But when Tiger plays a ball you have to think it’s great, i guess i really just need to hit it.

> >

> >

>

> it's definitely softer off the driver than the x...but not i'm not saying the x plays like a rock-flite either. the x is still in line with PV1x or TP5x feel

Yea some of these comments make the X sound like it has no spin at all, but i only played the ball in very wet conditions this winter where spin wasn’t as issue on the greens. Thanks!

> @arog_sopure said:

> > @cmb71 said:

> > > @arog_sopure said:

> > > For a good ball striker, does the XS really have that much more spin than the X? Or is it mainly just the feel? I’ve seen some reviews about the XS getting a little squirrly on drives. How much difference in spin are we talking, 200-400 rpm? If it is only that much it seems as though the X is the “better” ball all around, with the XS giving the preference of being softer, at least for the good ball striker that is compressing the golf ball.

> >

> > I use both (1.3 index currently) and this is how I determine which version to use. They are essentially interchangeable for me... honestly, not sure there is that much difference other than XS feels a bit softer, though it's not like the X is a rock... the only certainty is that if it is really windy, I **always** use the X as it is so much more stable in higher winds.

> >

> > XS = colder weather, no wind, and/or very firm course

> > X = **windy**, soft conditions, and/or scramble tournament (it is slightly longer off most clubs for me)

>

> This answer makes a lot of sense to me and is what I’ve been thinking is a possibility for me as well. I’m a 5.2 index currently and in Oregon where the winters are wet, windy and soft. Summers can get warm/hot. I’ve only played the X and it was in winter so I’m curious if the ball will hold greens with mid and long irons (greens running at 11-13). Maybe it’s a situation where i play the XS in dry/fast conditions. Have you been able to hold greens with the X on mid to long irons?

I am a mid-low ball flight guy, and there is no doubt that the X spins more than enough on all full shots in dry conditions, it's just that the XS seems to be easier to predict the spin/check up on shorter pitches/chips on firm and fast greens.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I played all 4 variations of the Tour B this weekend.

BX

BXS

BRX

BRXS

While my driver swing wasn’t consistent enough to really get a good ranking (nor did I have the ability to test several balls on the same shot due to the course being full), I found that the BX seemed to spin fine enough to hold greens, and I’m not a high spin player with wedges or irons. I rarely spin a ball back with anything I use.

Where I did get a definitive opinion was the feel on putting. I use an Odyssey Exo with the white hot microhinge. I’ve figured out that I like a soft, heavy feel combination when I putt. For example, I hate putting the Wilson 50 Elite. It feels way too light, and that I have to smack the living daylights out of it for anything more than 5 feet.

All three of BXS, BRX, and BRXS felt noticeably softer than BX. Therefore I didn’t prefer the putting feel of the BX. However, tee to green I could honestly play any of the 4.

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

Revolving Putter

I played an XS last week for 15 holes, before I stupidly said that I had been playing the same ball the whole way wound and pull hooked it and lost it. I played the next 3 holes with a Tour X.

I normally play Tour X or or Pro V1 X so using the XS I thought there would be a huge change. All I noticed was softer feel, slight loss of distance with irons(50* especially for some reason) probably 3/4 yards which to my putting distances made a big difference, chipping felt great as mainly used a 60* and was in full control but again I don't feel I can't do that with Tour X.

I will continue to use Tour X or Pro V1X and be very happy. I am used to these and trust these. Tour X being my comp ball.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

> @cmb71 said:

> > @arog_sopure said:

> > > @cmb71 said:

> > > > @arog_sopure said:

> > > > For a good ball striker, does the XS really have that much more spin than the X? Or is it mainly just the feel? I’ve seen some reviews about the XS getting a little squirrly on drives. How much difference in spin are we talking, 200-400 rpm? If it is only that much it seems as though the X is the “better” ball all around, with the XS giving the preference of being softer, at least for the good ball striker that is compressing the golf ball.

> > >

> > > I use both (1.3 index currently) and this is how I determine which version to use. They are essentially interchangeable for me... honestly, not sure there is that much difference other than XS feels a bit softer, though it's not like the X is a rock... the only certainty is that if it is really windy, I **always** use the X as it is so much more stable in higher winds.

> > >

> > > XS = colder weather, no wind, and/or very firm course

> > > X = **windy**, soft conditions, and/or scramble tournament (it is slightly longer off most clubs for me)

> >

> > This answer makes a lot of sense to me and is what I’ve been thinking is a possibility for me as well. I’m a 5.2 index currently and in Oregon where the winters are wet, windy and soft. Summers can get warm/hot. I’ve only played the X and it was in winter so I’m curious if the ball will hold greens with mid and long irons (greens running at 11-13). Maybe it’s a situation where i play the XS in dry/fast conditions. Have you been able to hold greens with the X on mid to long irons?

>

> I am a mid-low ball flight guy, and there is no doubt that the X spins more than enough on all full shots in dry conditions, it's just that the XS seems to be easier to predict the spin/check up on shorter pitches/chips on firm and fast greens.

So from 40-70 yards will the X still check up, or have more roll out? I find myself at this distance quite a bit.

There's going to be less than 300 RPM difference of spin between the two off the driver and irons. Probably less with wedges. The chances of a human finding a difference other than feel between these two balls on the course is pretty small. You're strike is going to vary the spin much more than the ball and they're going to be landing within a few yards of each other on identical strikes, so with non identical strikes it will be nearly impossible to find a difference. Especially when you factor in environmental factors. You could find the difference on the course, but you're going to have to be hitting many shots with both balls from the same location before you make any conclusions.

Now if you are hitting them in a controlled environment with a launch monitor and excluding poor strikes you can get a good idea of the difference between them. You'll find that the XS spins a little more off the driver (200-300 RPM) a little more of irons (300-400 RPM) and very close of wedges with the X possibly spinning slightly more.

I think for most of us, the XS will be the better ball. Most of us need all the spin we can get off irons, and the XS is going to help slightly with that. While the X does spin slightly less off the driver, neither is going to be high spin off the driver.

> @arbeck said:

> There's going to be less than 300 RPM difference of spin between the two off the driver and irons. Probably less with wedges. The chances of a human finding a difference other than feel between these two balls on the course is pretty small. You're strike is going to vary the spin much more than the ball and they're going to be landing within a few yards of each other on identical strikes, so with non identical strikes it will be nearly impossible to find a difference. Especially when you factor in environmental factors. You could find the difference on the course, but you're going to have to be hitting many shots with both balls from the same location before you make any conclusions.

>

> Now if you are hitting them in a controlled environment with a launch monitor and excluding poor strikes you can get a good idea of the difference between them. You'll find that the XS spins a little more off the driver (200-300 RPM) a little more of irons (300-400 RPM) and very close of wedges with the X possibly spinning slightly more.

>

> I think for most of us, the XS will be the better ball. Most of us need all the spin we can get off irons, and the XS is going to help slightly with that. While the X does spin slightly less off the driver, neither is going to be high spin off the driver.

@arbeck just for reference, when you say need the help on iron shots to get the most spin. How far do you hit your 7 iron? I hit mine about 170

Tour BX at one point was offered in yellow. No longer is that an option. XS is offered in yellow.

It’s curious because Bridgestone made balls for Nike. If I am not mistaken, the tour rzn black and platinum. Platinum would be equivalent to XS which is offered in yellow (platinum wasn’t offered in yellow). Tour Black was offered in “Volt” finish which would perform like BX yet, BX is white only.

I’ll say it outright that I don’t need the distance. 5-10 yards lost will not kill me. But, I am moving towards a yellow ball for my next ball yet, love the feel of the X vs the XS.

Don’t anyone know if Bridgestone will roll out a yellow X version?

• 2 weeks later...

I called Bridgestone and asked if they had any plan for a yellow “X” ball and they told me no. That was 3-4 months ago. I’m a convert to the Bx from a few years dedicated to Srixon XV Yellow so I was kinda bummed when I learned I couldn’t get the Bx in yellow. The more I play with the Bx the more I like the feel and lower ball flight. You can definitely spin it with the wedges just as much as any other premium ball for those wondering but do expect to see lower flight. I have played with a dozen or so of stud college players lately that are playing the Bx or the Bxs so Bridgestone is definitely gaining traction in the metro Detroit area

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Lately ive rotated every other round between the B X and the B XS. I feel both of these balls are better than anything else ive played this year ....

I could happily game either of these balls but I think id lean towards the BX. The BX does seem to keep the flight straighter for me on drives and ive definitely hit more fairways with the BX... on the other hand ive had my better chipping days with the B XS. Both balls have great stopping power, slight edge to B XS.

On their website Bridgestone does recommend me for the B X so after a month of trying both im going to stick with the B X.... I played tp5x the past 2 years and loved that ball. But I think the B X is equally as far but with better spin around the greens

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

> @hound25 said:

> So I compared these pretty extensively today as I had the course mostly to myself. I also compared the prov1x as well. Surprisingly, there was not much of a difference between the three with the exception of the driver. The XS was slightly behind the other two, which were pretty much neck and neck. With full shots with irons and wedges, all three performed almost identical. Almost no difference in distance or spin. The XS feels a bit softer than the other two though.

>

>

>

> After the round, I went to the chipping green and hit multiple chip/pitch shots from around the green, and I couldn’t tell you which was better. They again all performed nearly identical to one another.

>

>

>

> Since I have two dozen Tour B X yellow balls on the way, I am just going to play with those. After today, I would be comfortable with either of these three balls and feel I’m not losing anything. Hope this helps those that are still confused. Up until today, I was lost myself!

Thanks for an honest, impartial review. I am always sceptical of reviews that claim huge differences in performance between different premium balls. I can only imagine that all premium balls are right at the allowed limits of performance, with slight differences in feel. We all have personal favorites with balls, but performance differences are minimal imo. I could happily play any premium ball, and probably wouldn't notice much difference between any of them