Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

> @mci711 said:

> Was really looking forward to being the only one on the course the next couple days with the high temps but the 20 mph winds are such a turn off for me. I just really don't enjoy playing in the wind. I'll take heat, rain, cool etc over a windy day.

It's going to feel like a convection oven out there.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

at least the wind provides SOME relief to humid conditions

case in point: Prairie Landing at the end of June, most of the course is exposed (no trees), so hot and humid, but at least some wind. Then on Hole 12, the famous par 3 over water, and surrounded by trees, was absolutely still and the discomfort quotient went way up.

Easy for me to say, though, as I won't be playing this weekend. ;-)

• Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Blackberry Oaks on Saturday morning at 8 am. There's an open spot for a 4th if anyone wants to join. I still have over 50 18-hole courses to play in the Chicagoland area. The vast majority are more than 50 miles from downtown. I'm slowly chipping away, but it's getting hard to get motivated to spend 2 hours driving to play an uninteresting course.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @Argonne69 said:

> Blackberry Oaks on Saturday morning at 8 am. There's an open spot for a 4th if anyone wants to join. I still have over 50 18-hole courses to play in the Chicagoland area. The vast majority are more than 50 miles from downtown. I'm slowly chipping away, but it's getting hard to get motivated to spend 2 hours driving to play an uninteresting course.

Can't believe you still have that many courses left. That said, some of the courses you have been talking about playing recently are places that I've never considered.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

> @Shriner said:

> This is by far my favorite weather to golf in. So easy to get the body/muscles warmed up when the temps and humidity are this high. The only downside...the courses tee sheets are more packed.

You gotta be a cart golfer, because walking in this weather sucks a**.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

> @Shriner said:

> This is by far my favorite weather to golf in. So easy to get the body/muscles warmed up when the temps and humidity are this high. The only downside...the courses tee sheets are more packed.

I agree. My only issue is my hands sweat a lot and I'll have the occasional slip with the right hand. I spend a lot of time toweling my right hand/forearm off before every shot.

I find that courses are less busy when it gets this hot. I play in the afternoons though, so maybe that has something to do with it.

> @mci711 said:

>

> > @Shriner said:

> > This is by far my favorite weather to golf in. So easy to get the body/muscles warmed up when the temps and humidity are this high. The only downside...the courses tee sheets are more packed.

>

> I agree. My only issue is my hands sweat a lot and I'll have the occasional slip with the right hand. I spend a lot of time toweling my right hand/forearm off before every shot.

>

> I find that courses are less busy when it gets this hot. I play in the afternoons though, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I keep a small rosin bag in the right pocket and use the rain glove and it seems to help the hands a lot.

> @TheBear95 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > Blackberry Oaks on Saturday morning at 8 am. There's an open spot for a 4th if anyone wants to join. I still have over 50 18-hole courses to play in the Chicagoland area. The vast majority are more than 50 miles from downtown. I'm slowly chipping away, but it's getting hard to get motivated to spend 2 hours driving to play an uninteresting course.

>

> Can't believe you still have that many courses left. That said, some of the courses you have been talking about playing recently are places that I've never considered.

Heck, many of the courses I haven't played I haven't heard of before I started compiling the list. Aspen Ridge? Oak Spring? River Heights? Swan Hills? Summertree? The golf course directory in Chicagoland Golf magazine lists 181 public 18 hole courses in Illinois, 19 in southeast Wisconsin, and 16 in northwest Indiana. Now, some of these courses fall outside my 100 mile "Chicagoland" radius, but there are a number of other courses that aren't listed, e.g. Whittaker Woods.

Redtail this morning. With the morning dew still on the course and no breeze, this was among the stickiest rounds I've played. Redtail is a bit of a pit anyway and one of the residents who was out walking his dog (he was shirtless for some reason; could've gone without seeing that) said they have been running the sprinklers constantly lately. I could feel the humidity coming off the ground but I love walking in this weather. Just me against the course with music and earbuds to block out the rest of the world. The ball was really jumping and I struck it pretty well. 11 greens but only one birdie on 5. Two bogies on 9 and 16 for a 73.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @TheBear95 said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > Blackberry Oaks on Saturday morning at 8 am. There's an open spot for a 4th if anyone wants to join. I still have over 50 18-hole courses to play in the Chicagoland area. The vast majority are more than 50 miles from downtown. I'm slowly chipping away, but it's getting hard to get motivated to spend 2 hours driving to play an uninteresting course.

> >

> > Can't believe you still have that many courses left. That said, some of the courses you have been talking about playing recently are places that I've never considered.

>

> Heck, many of the courses I haven't played I haven't heard of before I started compiling the list. Aspen Ridge? Oak Spring? River Heights? Swan Hills? Summertree? The golf course directory in Chicagoland Golf magazine lists 181 public 18 hole courses in Illinois, 19 in southeast Wisconsin, and 16 in northwest Indiana. Now, some of these courses fall outside my 100 mile "Chicagoland" radius, but there are a number of other courses that aren't listed, e.g. Whittaker Woods.

Summertree actually isn't terrible. I've only played it a couple of times and it's been a while but it's a decent parkland layout. It's fairly wide open and it doesn't have the same gimmicky, tricked out greens that other Bruce Matthews courses have. I can see it getting really dried out and firm right now though. I think the irrigation system is basically Mother Nature. My guess is you won't rush back to play it but won't actively dislike the experience. I'm not a fan of Whittaker Woods. FIB course with FIB prices. I haven't heard of the other places you listed.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Ah Aspen Ridge. If you enjoy a short course where every hole is basically short and straight with minimal trouble, this is a perfect course...to play once. It's the most popular course in Bradley...and the only course in Bradley. Drive a few minutes more down the road and play the Kankakee Elks. Kankakee Elks has really nice greens which is basically the defense of the course. I might be way off here but I think the architect was the guy who designed Lasownia.

Being an alum of NIU, we played River Heights a thousand years ago when we were students and it was a 9 hole course. It's basic golf but then again we were drinking Huskie Gin in those days which was about as basic as possible. Also played Buena Vista and bounced a few off houses and Countryside, which I think was renamed. All courses to play once.

Swan Hills is private...but they take public tee times which is wacky. Like River Heights, it's basic golf albeit it with better course conditions. Great course to feed your ego if you want to post a score.

Totally drawing a blank on Summertree. Is it even in IL? I like Whittaker Woods and we've played it a few times. Not a bad course at all.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Ah Aspen Ridge. If you enjoy a short course where every hole is basically short and straight with minimal trouble, this is a perfect course...to play once. It's the most popular course in Bradley...and the only course in Bradley. Drive a few minutes more down the road and play the Kankakee Elks. Kankakee Elks has really nice greens which is basically the defense of the course. I might be way off here but I think the architect was the guy who designed Lasownia.

>

> Being an alum of NIU, we played River Heights a thousand years ago when we were students and it was a 9 hole course. It's basic golf but then again we were drinking Huskie Gin in those days which was about as basic as possible. Also played Buena Vista and bounced a few off houses and Countryside, which I think was renamed. All courses to play once.

>

> Swan Hills is private...but they take public tee times which is wacky. Like River Height, it's basic golf albeit it with better course conditions. Great course to feed your ego if you want to post a score.

>

> Totally drawing a blank on Summertree. Is it even in IL? I like Whittaker Woods and we've played it a few times. Not a bad course at all.

Summertree is in Indiana, outside of Crown Point. I've played it once. It was the only course I even recognized on that list, haha.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

> @TheBear95 said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > Ah Aspen Ridge. If you enjoy a short course where every hole is basically short and straight with minimal trouble, this is a perfect course...to play once. It's the most popular course in Bradley...and the only course in Bradley. Drive a few minutes more down the road and play the Kankakee Elks. Kankakee Elks has really nice greens which is basically the defense of the course. I might be way off here but I think the architect was the guy who designed Lasownia.

> >

> > Being an alum of NIU, we played River Heights a thousand years ago when we were students and it was a 9 hole course. It's basic golf but then again we were drinking Huskie Gin in those days which was about as basic as possible. Also played Buena Vista and bounced a few off houses and Countryside, which I think was renamed. All courses to play once.

> >

> > Swan Hills is private...but they take public tee times which is wacky. Like River Height, it's basic golf albeit it with better course conditions. Great course to feed your ego if you want to post a score.

> >

> > Totally drawing a blank on Summertree. Is it even in IL? I like Whittaker Woods and we've played it a few times. Not a bad course at all.

>

> Summertree is in Indiana, outside of Crown Point. I've played it once. It was the only course I even recognized on that list, haha.

Makes sense now...not allowed to be in Indiana since getting into it with Bobby Knight back in the undefeated season of 1975. It was OK for him to throw a chair but not me???

'Played Kankakee Elks a few years back. 'Very fun.

Made it to the 8th green last night at Mt Prospect when the skies opened for a solid 30-45 minutes.

was able to practice a bit afterwards on course and some people ventured back out from 730 onwards.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

No rounds for me on Saturday but we’re booked for Brighton Dale Links on Sunday. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Our group is heading to the HIlls of Foxford on Saturday. We have quite the history of being stormed off the course including a couple of years ago when a lightening bolt hit a tree behind me as I walked up the cart path on 18. Don't know if that was more of a near death experience or playing with the guy who whizzed one by my head when I was 50 yards to the right of him and 30 yards BEHIND him. And no, it didn't hit anything.

That was the year we got them to open up the bev cart in the garage under the clubhouse and we proceeded to over-consume. Ah the good old days.

Bowes Creek has a weekend morning deal for members of the Golf Elgin app/program: $69 before 11am this weekend. If anyone wants to try to get the deal, just download the app and set up an account. We grabbed a slot at 6:50am on Saturday...maybe it'll only be 90* at tee off.

Edit:

Sunday morning brings the regular Arrowhead round...this should be the first time they send us out on the East 9 after South...should be interesting with those tough starting and finishing holes on that loop.

Gack. The East's 10th and 18th are brutal. No matter how many times I told myself to hit 7i, 7i, 7i on #10, I still managed to put a driver or 3w into the junk on the right.Doh.

... I played Naperbrook Wednesday and the combination of heat, humidity and recent rain made it borderline unplayable walking with the mosquito's and gnats. Had to drape a towel over my head. Today/tomorrow has to be much worse. I played in true 106 temps in Phoenix a few months ago and it was hot no doubt, but nothing like this humid sauna we have here. I have no idea how we played high school/college football in summer camps in NC during August because the humidity and heat was insane. AND idiot coaches thought cold water would give you cramps so we had one cup of warm salt water in the middle of each practice. Backs and ends had 4 a days and I am shocked nobody died.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Can't beat a dry heat. I'll take Phoenix summers over this cr-p any day. I'm riding tomorrow, and walking Sunday.