Oak Brook Illinois in October

NJgolfer11

Green Meadows, Twin Lakes, Meadowlark, and Sugar Creek are all 9 hole courses that I would not recommend unless you simply need a golf fix. Downers Grove is a 9 holer as well, but it's got some cool history in that it was once the original Chicago Golf Club and was the first 18 hole course in the country, designed by CB McDonald before it was changed to 9 holes, some original holes remain. It's kind of cool but not really worth going out of your way for unless you're a course design and history buff.

Village Links or Arrowhead are your best options there, both probably involve a 20-30 minute car ride. Arrowhead generally has better conditions but there's something about the layout of Village Links that I really like. If you're willing to play Arrowhead you might want to consider Cantigny as it's about 10 minutes further down the road and a really cool property, albeit pricey. Honestly if I were you and you strike out on the private course hookup, I'd take the convenience of Willow Crest and play there. Not an amazing course but not bad by any means.

I would have thought that the Preserve at Oak Meadows is not that much further from you than Arrowhead or Village Links.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @geochitown said:

> I would have thought that the Preserve at Oak Meadows is not that much further from you than Arrowhead or Village Links. (checked 8.6 miles or 15-20 minutes drive)

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @NJgolfer11 said:

> I will be playing solo more than likely, so I guess Arrowhead is out.

>

> Also, how are the restaurants/bars at these courses? Is Mistwood worth the Uber?

>

> Cantigny I hear is great but right now it is $100 a round. Do rates change after a certain date?

I think a lot of courses start to discount around that time but some don't, can't remember if Cantigny does or not.

Arrowhead has a very good bar/restaurant that tends to bring in more than just the post golf clientele. Village Links has a restaurant/bar that's been remodeled in the past 5 years or so that's pretty nice as well. Otherwise you have no shortage of food/drink options between those courses and the Oak Brook area.

Cantigny should be under $100 by October.

Mistwood is a great track, but it's 27 miles away. I'd stick with Cantigny if you don't want to play at Willow Crest.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

If you are going to leave the property, then just make the jump and go to Mistwood. It is probably the best all-around public golf "experience" in the Chicago area. If you told someone the course was private, they would not be surprised. Otherwise, might as well just stay and play Willow Crest since it is fairly decent and will be easy access for you.

> @MountainKing said:

> > @NJgolfer11 said:

> > How’s the weather in Oak Brook in mid-late October?

>

> It could be anything from snowing to 90 and sunny

Sadly, MK is spot on. We played on January 5, 2019 in shorts and in April, we played in snow and 33 degrees. It's like the Cubs, you never know what you're going to get day to day so just prepare for anything.

I played 6 rounds in late October last year, 5 in 2017, and 6 in 2016. If I recall correctly, there were several frost delays, and a few wet rounds. If you need 50+ degree temperatures, you may be out of luck. It's a cr-pshoot.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Good part about Oct is you should be able to book a time day before or even day of. I feel like our November's lately have given us better weather than Oct.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

• 3 weeks later...

If you're staying at WC without a car just play WC. It's a pretty underrated course IMO, a lot of good holes and a great collection of par 3's. It should be in pretty good shape in Oct. Arrowhead is a better course but I wouldn't say better by much, and not better enough to have to deal with an uber.

The Downers history is cool but the course does very little to celebrate that history. 5 of the 9 holes are still original to an extent (2,4,7-9). The other 4 holes, especially hole 5 don't really fit in. They've done several re-designs of those holes over the years and with each one they've gotten worst. It's crazy that as nice of a town as DG is, they don't have a good 18 hole course.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

> @nlinneman20 said:

> > @MountainKing said:

> > > @NJgolfer11 said:

> > > How’s the weather in Oak Brook in mid-late October?

> >

> > It could be anything from snowing to 90 and sunny

>

> Yes but in Chicago more likely snowing than sunny.

>

> I lived in that Tundra for 15 years, don't miss it one bit.

Not sure about that, especially in Oct. While it could snow in Oct, I'd hardly call it a tundra.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @MountainKing said:

> > @nlinneman20 said:

> > > @MountainKing said:

> > > > @NJgolfer11 said:

> > > > How’s the weather in Oak Brook in mid-late October?

> > >

> > > It could be anything from snowing to 90 and sunny

> >

> > Yes but in Chicago more likely snowing than sunny.

> >

> > I lived in that Tundra for 15 years, don't miss it one bit.

>

> Not sure about that, especially in Oct. While it could snow in Oct, I'd hardly call it a tundra.

No I was saying in general it's a tundra which it is. I was golfing in the ozarks in 80 degree temps last wkend of april, it snowed 8 inches up there.

> @nlinneman20 said:

> > @MountainKing said:

> > > @nlinneman20 said:

> > > > @MountainKing said:

> > > > > @NJgolfer11 said:

> > > > > How’s the weather in Oak Brook in mid-late October?

> > > >

> > > > It could be anything from snowing to 90 and sunny

> > >

> > > Yes but in Chicago more likely snowing than sunny.

> > >

> > > I lived in that Tundra for 15 years, don't miss it one bit.

> >

> > Not sure about that, especially in Oct. While it could snow in Oct, I'd hardly call it a tundra.

> No I was saying in general it's a tundra which it is. I was golfing in the ozarks in 80 degree temps last wkend of april, it snowed 8 inches up there.

>

>

It did not snow 8 inches at any point in April, especially the last weekend. In fact it only dropped below freezing twice as a low. O'hare did record 5 inches in mid April, the 2nd latest snowfall ever recorded in Chicago. The snow that fell across the area from that storm in most areas was gone within 24 hours. I hate winter in Chicago as much as the next guy, but outside of January, it's far from a tundra.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/chicago-il/60608/april-weather/348308

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @MountainKing said:

> > @nlinneman20 said:

> > > @MountainKing said:

> > > > @nlinneman20 said:

> > > > > @MountainKing said:

> > > > > > @NJgolfer11 said:

> > > > > > How’s the weather in Oak Brook in mid-late October?

> > > > >

> > > > > It could be anything from snowing to 90 and sunny

> > > >

> > > > Yes but in Chicago more likely snowing than sunny.

> > > >

> > > > I lived in that Tundra for 15 years, don't miss it one bit.

> > >

> > > Not sure about that, especially in Oct. While it could snow in Oct, I'd hardly call it a tundra.

> > No I was saying in general it's a tundra which it is. I was golfing in the ozarks in 80 degree temps last wkend of april, it snowed 8 inches up there.

> >

> >

>

> It did not snow 8 inches at any point in April, especially the last weekend. In fact it only dropped below freezing twice as a low. O'hare did record 5 inches in mid April, the 2nd latest snowfall ever recorded in Chicago. The snow that fell across the area from that storm in most areas was gone within 24 hours. I hate winter in Chicago as much as the next guy, but outside of January, it's far from a tundra.

>

> https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/chicago-il/60608/april-weather/348308

Dude I have friends there, I remmeber laying in the hotel looking at their online posts. It snowed april 27th take a look, April 27th is mid april either...its 3 days from May.

April 27, 2019: Latest Accumulating Snow in Chicago & Rockford in 25+ Years

https://www.weather.gov/lot/2019apr27_snow

I get u Chicago people think its paradise, sorry its not, the weather is garbage. I'm sure I can dig up photos of friends at Cubs games in May in winter hats and coats if youd like. I've been to opening days for the Sox where they get snowed out or wed be in full on winter gear. Those opening days happen in April if your not familiar.

To say the only bad month is January is freakin hilarious.

> @nlinneman20 said:

> Yes my 8in comment was off however the fact remains, in relation to this thread, no ones playing golf in that weather. By May 1st this year I already had about 10 rounds under my belt

The weather down in St. Louis isn't all that different than Chicago. It's still the Midwest. You're talking like you live in San Diego, lol.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

> @TheBear95 said:

> > @nlinneman20 said:

> > Yes my 8in comment was off however the fact remains, in relation to this thread, no ones playing golf in that weather. By May 1st this year I already had about 10 rounds under my belt

>

> The weather down in St. Louis isn't all that different than Chicago. It's still the Midwest. You're talking like you live in San Diego, lol.

That's half of my wtf is where he's living and acting like we're in northern Canada. 3.7in isn't close to 8 inches. I golfed the 29th so that snow didn't stick around, I'm guessing some maybe were on the course the 28th.

I never said Chicago was paradise, the weather here sucks, but you're being a tad dramatic about it by calling it a tundra and acting like we had an April snowstorm that took us out for a week. You can generally get out and golf 10 months a year here, there's always a good 50+ degree day or two even in the winter months. The bigger issue is traveling here, you don't know what you're getting day to day.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @MountainKing said:

> > @TheBear95 said:

> > > @nlinneman20 said:

> > > Yes my 8in comment was off however the fact remains, in relation to this thread, no ones playing golf in that weather. By May 1st this year I already had about 10 rounds under my belt

> >

> > The weather down in St. Louis isn't all that different than Chicago. It's still the Midwest. You're talking like you live in San Diego, lol.

>

> That's half of my wtf is where he's living and acting like we're in northern Canada. 3.7in isn't close to 8 inches. I golfed the 29th so that snow didn't stick around, I'm guessing some maybe were on the course the 28th.

>

> I never said Chicago was paradise, the weather here sucks, but you're being a tad dramatic about it by calling it a tundra and acting like we had an April snowstorm that took us out for a week. You can generally get out and golf 10 months a year here, there's always a good 50+ degree day or two even in the winter months. The bigger issue is traveling here, you don't know what you're getting day to day.

Chicago weather notoriously sucks, in my 15 years living there I haven't encountered one person who hasn't said 'o you live in Chicago how do you like the winters?'.

Does STL get snow and cold weather like Chicago...yes sometimes but I have never ever worn winter clothes in May here like i have in Chicago in my 20 combined years of living here. All my friends who grew up and still live in Chicago ask 'how is STL weather so different and its only 300 miles away'. It's pretty easy to compare, just look it up. Prior to last winter I think STL has gotten like a combined 10 inches of snow the last 4 years or something. Chicago avg snowfall per year is 35 inches (7 inches above national avg), STL is 16 inches. Yes that is a huge difference.

And yes I said 8 inches was off however April 27th also isn't close to the 'middle of April' either so i guess we were both off. It's not just Chicago, my in-laws are in Michigan they have the same crap. They came to STL for Father's Day and made the comment they haven't had a day that reached 80 yet, by that time we had about 20.

There is a huge difference in weather between the two cities, yes we are both cold in Jan however STL is a lot warmer overall, reaches spring/summer temps a lot faster than Chicago and the warm weather stays around a lot longer.

> @nlinneman20 said:

> Yes my 8in comment was off however the fact remains, in relation to this thread, no ones playing golf in that weather. By May 1st this year I already had about 10 rounds under my belt

By May 1st I had 5 rounds this year. It would have been higher, but I was out of town for a week in late April. In 2018 I had 7 rounds though April. I played 9 in 2017, and 7 in 2016.

You make it sound like we don't pull the clubs out of storage until May. Pfffft.

I could have easily had 10 rounds by May 1st if I really wanted, from Jan 1st through May 1st we had 42 days that were 50 degrees or higher (that's almost half). If 60 is your limit then you still had 20 days. If you're a brave soul who would go out in the 40's that number goes up significantly. January is about the only full month where the area stays in the 30's or lower all month, but this year we had a few days in the 50's. Generally by late Feb through early Dec you can find some very playable days in the off season. When you move to the southwest let us know, then you can rub it on in how awesome your weather is, otherwise you're not getting that many more rounds in than we are. Midwest weather is just not awesome.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @MountainKing said:

> I could have easily had 10 rounds by May 1st if I really wanted, from Jan 1st through May 1st we had 42 days that were 50 degrees or higher (that's almost half). If 60 is your limit then you still had 20 days. If you're a brave soul who would go out in the 40's that number goes up significantly. January is about the only full month where the area stays in the 30's or lower all month, but this year we had a few days in the 50's. Generally by late Feb through early Dec you can find some very playable days in the off season. When you move to the southwest let us know, then you can rub it on in how awesome your weather is, otherwise you're not getting that many more rounds in than we are. Midwest weather is just not awesome.

Different strokes I guess. I just know I don't miss it.

Also you sound like you might be different than the average golfer as you said you played on the 29th when it rained 1.6 inches. That's a shitload of rain (plus the snow melt), so if you played in that I am sure you can find many playable days in any climate. I love golf more than anything but my family however I wont play in constant rain or when the course is a marsh.