Rich S: shot my low round and won

rich_s2

First half of my Tuesday league ended tonight. It’s a nine hole league. I played the second place guy and I shot a one under 35 to win. He shot 38 so it was a good match. I hit all 9 greens. Had the opportunity to go really low but just lipped a few birdie putts.

Getting my right wrist cupped in the backswing and keeping it cupped at the start of the downswing is my swing thought. From there it’s just different set ups to control flight and distances.

Lost in the second round of our gross club match play event. Played a 1 and he shot one under. We got a lot of rain the night before and the range was closed. My swing had been off over the few days prior and really wanted to get dialed in before this match. I shot a 79 and did not do anything well.

My irons since have been a little off. I will have to video my swing now but I feel like I have gotten too narrow and am folding my right arm too early. Even being off I was able to win my league match last night with a 39 and played another 9 after it was over and shot another 39. Trending at a 4.0 right now. Plan is to hit the range tonight with Ella. Hopefully I get things figured out as we have a big tournament tomorrow. I also signed up for a ton of tournaments in early August.

My putting is really coming around. I am burning the edges and not missing inside 4'. Up and down % is getting much better too. Developed the shanks for a bit with my 3/4 wedges but figured out I was standing too close to the ball on that shot.

Ella has been doing great. She has her first tournament next week. We are working on her speed and trying to use the ground more. Here driver swing is 65-70mph. She takes the SSR to the range to try to learn how to swing faster. Might go back to the Swing Speed program, we will have to see. Right now she is hitting low draws and does not miss right much. We will probably weaken her grip a touch. She wanted to do that after going to the LPGA event up here and watched them play.

Overall, nothing too exciting but I like to keep this updated as its good for me to be able to look back on.

• Like 1

“Major” tournament yesterday. Pins set in the most brutal positions. My irons are still off but everything else was ok. Shot an 80 with only hitting 8 greens and had 30 putts. Did manage a tap in eagle for the first time on that particular hole. Also had an impossible downhill chip in.

Guy that rode with me had a complete meltdown. Throwing clubs and swearing most of the round. The other two were high cappers and lost a lot of balls. Round took over 5 hours. It was a real test of my mental game. Sad part was the tantrums made it not very enjoyable.

I got a new shaft in for my mizuno ST190 and made a tungsten weight yesterday. I used to like a light swing weight in my driver but now I’m about D4. Hit it long and pretty straight.

Need to get these irons dialed back in. My body feels stiff. Going to try a few days of long yoga. I really feel like that’s the issue. Hard to rotate and everyone knows you gots to rotate dem hips!

• Like 1

Kind of a cool moment I thought I would share with my fellow golfers. Played a country club this morning I have never played before. Not long but difficult. Shot a 76 and that has me trending at a 3.9 which is the lowest I have ever seen. Sure would be nice if the improvements keep coming but it’s been a great year :)

• Like 4

congratulations rich. slow rounds get to me as well i try to pitch balls i found while walking the course into the woods to keep swinging a little bit if it gets very backed up to keep my self focused as can be and moving. if i think we’re going to be waiting for 5 minutes i’ll use that time to have my snack even if it is before the turn. i always got back up fuel if needed to keep me somewhat more energized. (these frozen smuckers pb&j sandwiches always bring me back. )

Handicap updated and I am officially a 3.9!

When I first got fit at club champion at the beginning of this thread, I had a Rogue Draw driver. Got fitted for a Accra FX 2.0 250M4. After seeing Dan that head became a draw monster so I switched to a TS3 but my shaft would not fit obviously. I played with a ton of shafts on my own and never found anything as nice as the Accra. I hated the sound, so this spring I switched to a Mizuno ST190 which is the best sounding driver ever created in the history of mankind. I played with the Atmos Blue for a while but I always felt like I was fighting the shaft. I learned my lesson from the TS3 so I ordered the Accra shaft from Club Champion. I am playing stock length (45") compared to 44.5" in the past. The shaft came in and the swing weight was crazy light (which I used to like). Made my own tungsten washer for the weight and got the SW where I wanted it. Took a few rounds but now this thing is dialed in and is a weapon.

I had been struggling with my irons but that was due to folding my right arm too early in the backswing. Spent some time on the range last few days feeling like I was pushing my hands away from my chest and irons are back where I want them. My stock shot is a little draw and I am learning how that draw gets smaller as the clubs get shorter. Accounting for the loft has my proximity to the hole getting tighter when my irons are on. Basically my 5i has a 8 yd draw and PW a 1 yd draw.

League match last night. Had to give the guy 3 strokes (9 hole league). We play stroke and Match play. Match was over by the 6th hole and I was even at that point and had him by 8 strokes. Ended up shooting 2 over and I am leading the league in points!

After league I played some holes with Ella. She has her first real tournament this Friday. Its nine holes and one of her friends is playing too and they are in the same group. I am nervous and excited for her. Her biggest weak spot is course management. We talked about it a lot the last two days. Her miss is a bit right with driver but she has a slight two way miss with everything else. I talked about the window she has for every shot and how to play to your misses. Last night she really finally got it. Folks, she played the best by far I have ever seen. She hit 2 drives that were 180 yards and got to a good length par 4 in two for the first time. We talked about staying positive and in the end we would call this event successful if she stays positive and has fun. Her biggest worry is keeping track of her score lol. Even with a clicker, she forgets and has a hard time remembering how many strokes per hole she had. I will let you know how she does.

One last thing. In my last online lesson with Dan he addressed my flat shoulder and hip turn. I watched the lesson again yesterday and caught him saying a left oblique crunch. I took that feel to the range yesterday. Some feels don't feel right. This one did. It definitely felt different but less effort to get the club back and also my left knee did not cave in as much. I hit the ball very well after a few swings. I will get a video tonight to make sure I am doing what I think I am doing but if it looks good I will continue to work on that on the range.

• Like 3

> @"rich s" said:

> Handicap updated and I am officially a 3.9!

>

> When I first got fit at club champion at the beginning of this thread, I had a Rogue Draw driver. Got fitted for a Accra FX 2.0 250M4. After seeing Dan that head became a draw monster so I switched to a TS3 but my shaft would not fit obviously. I played with a ton of shafts on my own and never found anything as nice as the Accra. I hated the sound, so this spring I switched to a Mizuno ST190 which is the best sounding driver ever created in the history of mankind. I played with the Atmos Blue for a while but I always felt like I was fighting the shaft. I learned my lesson from the TS3 so I ordered the Accra shaft from Club Champion. I am playing stock length (45") compared to 44.5" in the past. The shaft came in and the swing weight was crazy light (which I used to like). Made my own tungsten washer for the weight and got the SW where I wanted it. Took a few rounds but now this thing is dialed in and is a weapon.

>

> I had been struggling with my irons but that was due to folding my right arm too early in the backswing. Spent some time on the range last few days feeling like I was pushing my hands away from my chest and irons are back where I want them. My stock shot is a little draw and I am learning how that draw gets smaller as the clubs get shorter. Accounting for the loft has my proximity to the hole getting tighter when my irons are on. Basically my 5i has a 8 yd draw and PW a 1 yd draw.

>

> League match last night. Had to give the guy 3 strokes (9 hole league). We play stroke and Match play. Match was over by the 6th hole and I was even at that point and had him by 8 strokes. Ended up shooting 2 over and I am leading the league in points!

>

> After league I played some holes with Ella. She has her first real tournament this Friday. Its nine holes and one of her friends is playing too and they are in the same group. I am nervous and excited for her. Her biggest weak spot is course management. We talked about it a lot the last two days. Her miss is a bit right with driver but she has a slight two way miss with everything else. I talked about the window she has for every shot and how to play to your misses. Last night she really finally got it. Folks, she played the best by far I have ever seen. She hit 2 drives that were 180 yards and got to a good length par 4 in two for the first time. We talked about staying positive and in the end we would call this event successful if she stays positive and has fun. Her biggest worry is keeping track of her score lol. Even with a clicker, she forgets and has a hard time remembering how many strokes per hole she had. I will let you know how she does.

>

> One last thing. In my last online lesson with Dan he addressed my flat shoulder and hip turn. I watched the lesson again yesterday and caught him saying a left oblique crunch. I took that feel to the range yesterday. Some feels don't feel right. This one did. It definitely felt different but less effort to get the club back and also my left knee did not cave in as much. I hit the ball very well after a few swings. I will get a video tonight to make sure I am doing what I think I am doing but if it looks good I will continue to work on that on the range.

>

>

Thank you for sharing, the left oblique crunch is a golden illustration. I really hope my daughters (4 and 2 years old) get into golf in the future so we can share this passion together like you are doing with Ella.

• Like 1

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> Nicely done. We’re rooting for you and Ella!

Thanks bud! I got the Club Championship in a week and a half then a ton of bigger events in August. My game is really getting hot at the right time. Would love to put up a great score in one of the bigger events. As for Ella, I will need a horse tranquilizer on Friday as my wife sends updates

> @TIM929 said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > Handicap updated and I am officially a 3.9!

> >

> > When I first got fit at club champion at the beginning of this thread, I had a Rogue Draw driver. Got fitted for a Accra FX 2.0 250M4. After seeing Dan that head became a draw monster so I switched to a TS3 but my shaft would not fit obviously. I played with a ton of shafts on my own and never found anything as nice as the Accra. I hated the sound, so this spring I switched to a Mizuno ST190 which is the best sounding driver ever created in the history of mankind. I played with the Atmos Blue for a while but I always felt like I was fighting the shaft. I learned my lesson from the TS3 so I ordered the Accra shaft from Club Champion. I am playing stock length (45") compared to 44.5" in the past. The shaft came in and the swing weight was crazy light (which I used to like). Made my own tungsten washer for the weight and got the SW where I wanted it. Took a few rounds but now this thing is dialed in and is a weapon.

> >

> > I had been struggling with my irons but that was due to folding my right arm too early in the backswing. Spent some time on the range last few days feeling like I was pushing my hands away from my chest and irons are back where I want them. My stock shot is a little draw and I am learning how that draw gets smaller as the clubs get shorter. Accounting for the loft has my proximity to the hole getting tighter when my irons are on. Basically my 5i has a 8 yd draw and PW a 1 yd draw.

> >

> > League match last night. Had to give the guy 3 strokes (9 hole league). We play stroke and Match play. Match was over by the 6th hole and I was even at that point and had him by 8 strokes. Ended up shooting 2 over and I am leading the league in points!

> >

> > After league I played some holes with Ella. She has her first real tournament this Friday. Its nine holes and one of her friends is playing too and they are in the same group. I am nervous and excited for her. Her biggest weak spot is course management. We talked about it a lot the last two days. Her miss is a bit right with driver but she has a slight two way miss with everything else. I talked about the window she has for every shot and how to play to your misses. Last night she really finally got it. Folks, she played the best by far I have ever seen. She hit 2 drives that were 180 yards and got to a good length par 4 in two for the first time. We talked about staying positive and in the end we would call this event successful if she stays positive and has fun. Her biggest worry is keeping track of her score lol. Even with a clicker, she forgets and has a hard time remembering how many strokes per hole she had. I will let you know how she does.

> >

> > One last thing. In my last online lesson with Dan he addressed my flat shoulder and hip turn. I watched the lesson again yesterday and caught him saying a left oblique crunch. I took that feel to the range yesterday. Some feels don't feel right. This one did. It definitely felt different but less effort to get the club back and also my left knee did not cave in as much. I hit the ball very well after a few swings. I will get a video tonight to make sure I am doing what I think I am doing but if it looks good I will continue to work on that on the range.

> >

> >

>

> Thank you for sharing, the left oblique crunch is a golden illustration. I really hope my daughters (4 and 2 years old) get into golf in the future so we can share this passion together like you are doing with Ella.

Start them early and keep it fun. We are blessed to have a great youth program at our course. It is such a special thing to share this wonderful game with her. Even my wife who is not a golfer is really getting into watching Ella play. I will have her video some action on friday and if all goes well I will splice them together and post it here.

• Like 1

bv5qxk99ci3l.jpeg

Ella is playing in her first tournament today. She has played in a ton of matches as part of a team or scramble but this is the first by herself. I can't be there but my wife is texting me the play by play. Her starting hole is a par 3. She just teed off, hit a 7i just left of the green. I am so nervous I could puke. For those that don't know, Ella is my 14 year old daughter, been playing for a few years and will be playing HS golf as well as state events hopefully. Her goal is to stay positive and have fun! When we play the goal is to make double bogey which gives her a 54.

Edit:

1st hole par 3 missed green left, chipped on and two putt bogey-great start!

2nd hole par 4- triple bogey

3rd hole longer par 4- quad bogey (at this point if she doubles in she shoots a 56)

4th hole par 4- big drive down the middle, second shot on the green! 3 putt bogey! Here is her tee shot:

5th hole 157 yd par 3- 3 wood left of the green, chipped on and two putt bogey (back to "even") GO GIRL GO!!!

6th hole 420yd par 5- just short of the green in 4. Up and down for a 6!! On pace for a 53!!!! Here is a 7i 4th shot:

7th hole short par4-great drive! 2nd shot left of green to avoid bunker. Chipped on but we think she 4 putted for a 7

8th hole long par4-Almost drove it OB. Ball is up against the trunk of a tree...on the green in 5. took an 8.

9th and last hole- great drive! took a bogey!

Ella shot a 53 in her first tournament! So proud of her, can't wait to hear about it from her!

Just found out she took 2nd in her age group!!

• Like 4

Good stuff there Rich! Nothing better than seeing your kids enjoying something they love. And some success never hurts either! Congrats to Ella.

• Like 1

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Congratulations to your daughter! This made my day.

• Like 1

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Ella motivated me so I went out to play nine but wow it’s hot. 6 of 7 fairways, 7 of 9 greens, one three putt and 3 lipped birdie putts. Just was not my day. Shot a 39 and had a 38 in league so a 77 combined has me trending at 3.8

Going to play a new course tomorrow so hopefully I can tighten a few things up and post a great score.

• Like 1

> @"rich s" said:

> Ella motivated me so I went out to play nine but wow it’s hot. 6 of 7 fairways, 7 of 9 greens, one three putt and 3 lipped birdie putts. Just was not my day. Shot a 39 and had a 38 in league so a 77 combined has me trending at 3.8

>

> Going to play a new course tomorrow so hopefully I can tighten a few things up and post a great score.

Heat index was like 105 here and 90% humidity. I mowed and trimmed my yard, and felt like I could die afterward. It was rough.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > Ella motivated me so I went out to play nine but wow it’s hot. 6 of 7 fairways, 7 of 9 greens, one three putt and 3 lipped birdie putts. Just was not my day. Shot a 39 and had a 38 in league so a 77 combined has me trending at 3.8

> >

> > Going to play a new course tomorrow so hopefully I can tighten a few things up and post a great score.

>

> Heat index was like 105 here and 90% humidity. I mowed and trimmed my yard, and felt like I could die afterward. It was rough.

Hottest day of the year here. I do enjoy the heat but my grips were moist lol

• Like 1

Having lived in Chicago for over thirty years I get the brief heat/humidity but being in eastern Tennessee with a place in chucktown,Sc this is an every day thing from June thru August and sometimes may and September. Went down to chucktown for the 4th weekend and the dew point was never below 80 and the temps didn’t drop below 80 at night. Heat index in the 105+ range all week and no heat advisory called lol. Go out to the mail box and you need to take a shower. Had a pop up tstorm that lasted about two hours dump almost 5 inches on us. And it just keeps going, going, going. Just a little info to cheer you up. Now about those winters . . .no block heaters required down here.

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

What a weekend :( yesterday tried playing a new course and huge damaging storms came through and just wrecked the town.

Some of those storms made it to my home course so the range was closed but I wanted to play anyways. Played the tips, 7,000 yards 73.1 as I have a tournament this Thursday. Swing was off and not having the range hurt. Stayed focused and lipped a putt on 9 to shoot a 40. On ten, I hit one in a hazard and take a double, then bogey 12. Made a couple longer birdie putts and end up with a 78.

The lesson I continue to learn is that you don’t have to play good to shoot a decent score. Some days are grinds but if you just keep your head in it things go better than you think. The good news is it has me trending at a 3.6!

The worst news is that I had a tournament today and totally forgot as did my partner. Storms yesterday had me rattled. There goes $250 lol.

• Like 1

> @TIM929 said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > 2nd place and she is a happy camper! 2u5c92ykz2bd.jpeg

> >

>

> WOW! congratulations to you and your daughter!! Must be so proud!!

>

> I know you and her both put in a lot of effort to make this happen.

Thanks, we have both worked very hard on our own games and helped each other as well. I’m very proud of her and the whole experience has been great!

As the edited OP indicates, the bulk of my tournament season is coming. I also play in a tuesday league. Every Thursday I have a club tournament with the occasional "Major". Other than those, this is my schedule:

July 27th- club championship (27 holes)

August 1st- Club invitational (2 man team)

August 4-5- Dietrich Open

August 17-18- City Tournament

August 24th- League championship

Sept 15-16 State Partners event

I also have a big $$ three man event in August we will probably sign up for.

Right now I am happy with my play when I am able to warm up properly. Lots of storms lately so sometimes the ranges are closed. The biggest swing issue I have is a flip. My warm up deals with this by eliminating left wrist cup at the start of the backswing, then maintaining right wrist cup at the start of the downswing. I focus on this for about 10 balls with full 50% speed swings using a 54 wedge then I hit about 10 normal speed wedge shots to varying targets. From there I go PW, 7i, stinger hybrids and then a couple driver swings. This trains my wrists and when they are working properly I play well. From there I head to the putting green where I hit lag putts from varying distances to work on speed.

As for practice, I am not doing as much range work as I used to. I will start playing one of the three nines at my home course and when I have a shot that I am not comfortable with, I hit several balls from that location to figure out the highest percentage play. That is my plan throughout the rest of this season and I practice almost every day I don't have a tournament. My biggest weakness is not being confident with between yardage shots as well as not making enough 6-10' putts. Those two things will be my main focus on practice days.

I also plan or re-reading "how to master golfs mental game" so that is fresh in my mind. My mental game is vastly improved but I have still had a few scenario's that caught me off guard (super slow play and playing partner tantrums). To deal with this I plan on playing a few rounds when I force myself to wait 5-10 minutes before hitting each shot. Having three nines at my home course and the fact it does not get much play allows me to do this. I need to come up with a mental strategy that works for me during the slow play rounds.

Some of these tournaments are not at my home course so I will get in a practice round or two and study 18 birdies app to come up with a good strategy.

Ella shot her lowest score, a 52 on the toughest nine at our course!! Between us here, when she hits in the 40’s I’m going to order her a custom Scotty. So proud of her.

As for me, I shot a even par 36 in league last night. Highlight was a 30 yard hook from 227 with a 21 hybrid to 8’ but then left the eagle putt 2’ short lol. I was one under going into 9 and duffed my second into the water. Took my drop and stuck it to 8’ but made the bogey putt.

• Like 3

Tournament from the tips last night. Course played about 7k with tough greens/pins. We had a decent amount of wind and the course is still a bit wet so not much run. Shot gun start, I start on a par 5 which I was happy about. Pull driver left into the trees and try to play a super low hook around the trees and caught a branch sending the ball into the middle of the fairway but behind me. Pulled another hybrid left deep into the trees but it kicked back into the middle of the fairway. Approach short of the green and end up with a double on the first hole. Did not bother me in the least. This next part is important and over winter, this will be one of the key memories of this season:

3rd hole, 470yd par 4 into the wind. Hit a great drive and have 227 to the pin. Hit hybrid to 10ft and make the birdie!

My driving is one of the best parts of my game but I was just off a bit. I just kept grinding and made some bogeys but hung in there. Ended with a 78 which I was proud of considering how off I was. My disappointments came from missing a couple 4-5' birdie putts and leaving two 12' birdie putts short.

My swing felt a little off and I have the club championship tomorrow. This tournament last year gave me a mental breakdown that almost got me to quit golf. I have come a long way since then and am looking forward to a little redemption. Plan is to get to do my normal warm up and then really get the speed of the greens down as well as practice some crazy sloped putts as the pins will be brutal again. Of any tournament, this one means the most to me due to what happened last year.

As of right now, I am trending at a 3.5 but have a 72 dropping off next round so I expect it to go up a little. As for Ella, we tested a full size ladies driver the other night and she hit it great and longer so I have one on order as well as a full set of ladies irons and 3 wood. She will not use them for the next tournament though.

• Like 3

What a day :) Club championship. Beautiful day but windy. 7:30am tee time and I am playing with last years champ who also won the city tournament. Stick it to 12" on one for birdie then proceed to bogey the next three but managed 2 more birdies for a first nine 36. This is a 27 hole championship. I three putt 3 times (BRUTAL pins) and shoot 40 on the second nine. My buddy is off and I am one up at this point. Long story short, shoot a 38 on the last nine and am tied for first with my buddy. Now folks, last year I shot 47,47,59 in this championship so this one means more to me that I can explain.

Sudden death playoff and I lose on the first hole but man what a day!! 6 over after 27 holes is something I am very proud of after putting in all the work. Thanks to all of you reading this for your encouragement since this post began. Means a lot :)

• Like 3

> @"rich s" said:

> What a day :) Club championship. Beautiful day but windy. 7:30am tee time and I am playing with last years champ who also won the city tournament. Stick it to 12" on one for birdie then proceed to bogey the next three but managed 2 more birdies for a first nine 36. This is a 27 hole championship. I three putt 3 times (BRUTAL pins) and shoot 40 on the second nine. My buddy is off and I am one up at this point. Long story short, shoot a 38 on the last nine and am tied for first with my buddy. Now folks, last year I shot 47,47,59 in this championship so this one means more to me that I can explain.

>

> Sudden death playoff and I lose on the first hole but man what a day!! 6 over after 27 holes is something I am very proud of after putting in all the work. Thanks to all of you reading this for your encouragement since this post began. Means a lot :)

That is fantastic! Holding up under tournament pressure when it matters to you is tough. Well done!

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Had time to process so thought I would give a breakdown of the club championship. Keep in mind these stats are for 27 holes.

13/21 fairways

19/27 greens

1 hazard

51 putts

zero double bogeys!!

9 bogeys

3 birdies

15 pars

Swing:

I had a perfect warm up range session, this means my wrists were working properly and I was hitting baby draws with my irons without thinking about it. Got a great night sleep and was hydrated going into the event. I had next to zero nerves and was very positive. As the day progressed I stayed positive always. I had three bad swings: one drive in the water, one full 9i that went 100 yards and a thinned 9i in the playoff hole. Other than the tee shot in the water, my driver was really good. On the holes I missed the fairway, I was just on the edge. Proximity to the hole was good considering the pin placements and wind.

Short game:

Overall my chipping was better than normal. Got up and down when I needed to and did not have a chip I was really disappointed in. I was happy with my putting, 3 bad lags but made a lot of solid putts.

Mental game

At no point in the round did I think about my score or if I was in contention or not until I was on the green on the 27th hole. I asked my buddy where he was at and he said he was one behind but was on the edge of the green in 2 and I had a 20'er for birdie which ended up with us in a tie for first. I stayed positive and only focused on the shot at hand. My mantra was get every putt to the hole. I failed at that a few times but also made some great putts to save par and for birdie. The biggest challenge was a guy in the group behind us (troublemaker) lipped off to us about playing slow on the 4th hole even though we were caught up to the group ahead of us. This happened after 2 straight bogeys but I did not let it affect me and stayed positive. I screwed up on an eagle opportunity, I putted from off the green instead of going back to the cart and getting my wedge. Ended up with a par but should have been a chip in for eagle or birdie as I was only about 12' from the hole. Overall my mental game was the strongest part of my game and no doubt was the reason I played as well as I did.

Takeaway:

Never played in a playoff. That was a new experience. You kind of "exhale" when the tournament is over and it was hard to get fired up for the playoff. I was sort of checked out. Best way to put it was that I was content with being tied for first after 27. Next time I will really focus on winning the playoff. The only other thing was my super long lag putts. I noticed my ball skids on those so I have to video my stroke on those and see what is going on. I felt like my speed would have been right had it not skid so much. The rest of my game was solid for the skill level I am at. Not going to make any real changes until winter. If the season ended right now, it would be better than I ever thought possible. Really validates the effort I put in over winter and the impact my lesson with Dan Carraher had on my game. Best part is August is my biggest month for tournaments :)

• Like 2

• rich_s2 changed the title to Rich S: shot my low round and won