2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Leupold Customer Service

12aces

Has anyone ever dealt with Leupold customer service on a waterproof issue with their range finders?? I recently purchased a gx-3i3 based on reviews and their outstanding customer service. Of course after only playing 2 rounds with it I accidentally dropped it in a cooler in my cart. I instantly pulled it out and water had gotten inside of it and eventually the unit wouldn't even turn on. So, I called customer service yesterday about it and was told their rangefinders are "weatherproof" (even after I stated that the box specifically said waterproof) and that they were never meant to be submerged. He is having me send it in for evaluation but I'm not sure what they're going to come back to me with. I thought the whole conversation was odd. Has anyone else ever dealt with this particular issue?

I had amazing service from Leupold. I had a 4 year old Leupold GX-3i that just stopped working. I submitted a service order online, they told me to ship it in, I shipped it, and a few weeks later I received a brand new GX-3i. I was hoping to just get it repaired or get a coupon for a new one...so the brand new rangefinder was completely unexpected and pretty awesome.

In my experience Leupold CS is great. My buddy and I both got brand new range finders when we sent ours in with intermittent issues. A 3rd sent in a GX2i, was well out of warranty, but they gave him a GX4i2 at a very big discount.

I could not even get Bushnell to pick up the phone or reply to an email when I had an issue. Eventually realized I had just changed it to meters from yards, but the complete lack of response was enough to sell it.

Their own website says, "Tested to extreme climate conditions and guaranteed to be completely waterproof." However, when you read their warranty you can easily see why you wouldn't be covered (see below). Because they are an outstanding company and tend to go above and beyond for their customers you will still likely be taken care of one way or another...good luck!

Warranty Exclusions:

These warranties do not apply if the product has been modified, **misused or has been damaged by accident**, abuse, or misapplication.

Leupold is the best. I got a GX4i and it only came with the slope lens. The mailed me out the USGA conforming one at no cost. Top notch.

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

> @12aces said:

> As far as I'm concerned, the box clearly states "waterproof" not "water resistant" or as the CS rep put it "weatherproof". I thought it was pretty cut and dry when I purchased it but we'll see. You would think a $600 + rangefinder would actually be waterproof.

...see post above for their warranty exclusions, which are very cut and "dry" -- you already admitted to have misused the rangefinder by accidentally damaging it in a cooler *with some* ice/water -- they will take care of you the best they can, but please don't feel entitled to be compensated for your own 'clumsy' error xxx

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19027921#Comment_19027921

> @haakzilla said:

> > @12aces said:

> > As far as I'm concerned, the box clearly states "waterproof" not "water resistant" or as the CS rep put it "weatherproof". I thought it was pretty cut and dry when I purchased it but we'll see. You would think a $600 + rangefinder would actually be waterproof.

>

> ...see post above for their warranty exclusions, which are very cut and "dry" -- you already admitted to have misused the rangefinder by accidentally damaging it in a cooler full of ice/water -- they will take care of you the best they can, but please don't feel entitled to be compensated for your own boneheaded error ;)

>

> https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19027921#Comment_19027921

Sorry man, but IMO if you put "waterproof" on the box of your $600 plus rangefinder and its not waterproof, that shouldn't be on me. All that says to me is that they're doing some serious false advertising. This has nothing to do with entitlement. My go Pro is actually "waterproof". So are you saying if I take it in the water and submerge it, i'm a bonehead? I'm not sure I'm following your logic. Also, no need for the wink faces. I think we're all grown adults here.

Edit: and lets not exaggerate, I never said cooler full of ice/water. There was water in it, but it was never fully submerged at any point.

> @haakzilla said:

> > @12aces said:

> > As far as I'm concerned, the box clearly states "waterproof" not "water resistant" or as the CS rep put it "weatherproof". I thought it was pretty cut and dry when I purchased it but we'll see. You would think a $600 + rangefinder would actually be waterproof.

>

> ...see post above for their warranty exclusions, which are very cut and "dry" -- you already admitted to have misused the rangefinder by accidentally damaging it in a cooler full of ice/water -- they will take care of you the best they can, but please don't feel entitled to be compensated for your own boneheaded error ****

>

> https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19027921#Comment_19027921

You should probably brush up on the difference between waterproof and water resistant. In all theory, that waterproof rangefinder should be able to be tossed into a lake, fished out and work with zero issues.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Dude..... Countless people tell you Leupold has outstanding customer service and you insist on whining about how the Waterproof language somehow guarantees that you will get your "abused " rangefinder replaced. Relax and report back after you give the company a chance to get you squared away... Not one person has said a negative word about Leupold.

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Mizuno STZ- 230 22 Hybrid  ,LIN-Q Blue 

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Mizuno T24 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

Think you might want to re read the comments. I haven’t “whined” at all. I was merely asking/ discussing the language on the box vs what I was being told by CS. I wanted to see if anyone else ran into this. Then the name calling started by another. And stop with the abuse stuff. The rangefinder doesn’t have a single scratch on it. The box has been sent back, and I’ve lost zero sleep over this. I think you’re the one who might need a beer and chill out.

> @Tzoid said:

> Dude..... Countless people tell you Leupold has outstanding customer service and you insist on whining about how the Waterproof language somehow guarantees that you will get your "abused " rangefinder replaced. Relax and report back after you give the company a chance to get you squared away... Not one person has said a negative word about Leupold.

To be fair to the OP, it does say waterproof on the website. Other than that, I have no comment other than keep it away from ponds, coolers, and standing water!

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

• 3 weeks later...

> @swgolf12 said:

> Leupold is the best. I got a GX4i and it only came with the slope lens. The mailed me out the USGA conforming one at no cost. Top notch.

Was this recent? There policy must have changed. A friend of mine inquired about getting a replacement slope face plate for a GX-4i3 a couple of months ago. He was told it would be around $20 to purchase.

> @1t2golf said:

> > @swgolf12 said:

> > Leupold is the best. I got a GX4i and it only came with the slope lens. The mailed me out the USGA conforming one at no cost. Top notch.

>

> Was this recent? There policy must have changed. A friend of mine inquired about getting a replacement slope face plate for a GX-4i3 a couple of months ago. He was told it would be around $20 to purchase.

>

This was 2014 or 2015, I was also the shop manager of a golf shop so that might have had something to do with the courtesy.

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

> @1t2golf said:

> > @swgolf12 said:

> > Leupold is the best. I got a GX4i and it only came with the slope lens. The mailed me out the USGA conforming one at no cost. Top notch.

>

> Was this recent? There policy must have changed. A friend of mine inquired about getting a replacement slope face plate for a GX-4i3 a couple of months ago. He was told it would be around $20 to purchase.

>

I lost my non-slope one as well, was given a new one free (some 2-3 years ago). I can see why the slope one might be $$ since it has the little chip in. It will actually function (without slope) without any face plate.

With that being said, can't say anything bad about Leupold CS. I sold my perfectly fine Bushnell after multiple calls/emails went unanswered.

> @swgolf12 said:

> > @1t2golf said:

> > > @swgolf12 said:

> > > Leupold is the best. I got a GX4i and it only came with the slope lens. The mailed me out the USGA conforming one at no cost. Top notch.

> >

> > Was this recent? There policy must have changed. A friend of mine inquired about getting a replacement slope face plate for a GX-4i3 a couple of months ago. He was told it would be around $20 to purchase.

> >

>

> This was 2014 or 2015, I was also the shop manager of a golf shop so that might have had something to do with the courtesy.

> @Krt22 said:

> > @1t2golf said:

> > > @swgolf12 said:

> > > Leupold is the best. I got a GX4i and it only came with the slope lens. The mailed me out the USGA conforming one at no cost. Top notch.

> >

> > Was this recent? There policy must have changed. A friend of mine inquired about getting a replacement slope face plate for a GX-4i3 a couple of months ago. He was told it would be around $20 to purchase.

> >

>

> I lost my non-slope one as well, was given a new one free (some 2-3 years ago). I can see why the slope one might be $$ since it has the little chip in. It will actually function (without slope) without any face plate.

>

> With that being said, can't say anything bad about Leupold CS. I sold my perfectly fine Bushnell after multiple calls/emails went unanswered.

Appreciate the responses.

@Krt22, I also stopped buying Bushnell products years ago due to their poor CS and failed products.

Apologies to the OP for taking this a bit off topic.