Your most humbling experience on the course

I should just made it" when's the last time you got a beat down from someone twice your age". ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

> @phatchrisrules said:

>

> That is the one rule in golf I wish was changed. There should be no penalty for a lost ball in play. A tour pro has never lost a ball by slicing it or hooking it just off the regular boundary of the hole. They have all of these other "no fault" rules like the accidental moving and whatnot. I just don't understand why I have to take stroke and distance when I know Weekend Walter on the fairway over picked up my ball or hit my ball instead of the Noodle I found at approximately the same spot my drive was expected to be in. I had that happen to me on Monday -- once I physically saw someone bend down and pick up my ball but they were too far ahead to confront them and two other times the ball just vanished in a spot it very clearly should have been.

Tour pros *have* lost golf ball hit just off the boundary of a hole--whatever that is. They aren't always being followed by cameras and a large gallery. Pretty sure a player lost a ball on an event I was watching on TV last month.

I can't even imagine how you theoretical rule would work. No penalty if you should find your ball, but yes penalty if you shouldn't find it? Who makes that judgement call?

BTW, if you see someone take your ball, you replace it (penalty free) and move on.

> @tatertot said:

> > @Pepperturbo said:

> > > @cardoustie said:

> > > > @Pepperturbo said:

> > > > > @cardoustie said:

> > > > > > @tatertot said:

> > > > > > > @Pepperturbo said:

> > > > > > > Good story and a wise lesson that all could regard but probably won't. Truly, I have never been so brash or overly confident playing golf, or for that matter any other sport, that another person's behavior taught me a humbling lesson. However, I am humbled and honored to be acquainted with a few Seals, as well as Medal of Honor recipients.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > What a load of crap.

> > > > >

> > > > > I agree with @TaterTot, sorry Pepper

> > > > > Somewhere down the line on the golf course - something happened that was humbling. I can probably come up with over 100 things in 5 minutes from the last 35 years

> > > > > I can picture 10 shots (at a minimum) alone hit by partners and opponents that humbled me to the core. Towering 2 irons from 230, over a tree then over a lake to a tucked back pin, off the base of a flag stick etc etc. That sort of thing. Example 2, Long drive guy in a scramble flying a 3 wood off the deck on a par 4, 320 onto a green and stopping it dead (there's a pond in front)

> > > >

> > > > Your welcome to your opinion and value but you're wrong when it comes to ME. I stand by what I said. Golf is just a game, like other sports I have participated in. We're NOT all the same, you should know that. Though golf has special learning moments I am not humbled by what happens good or bad in a sport, just accept my due. I grew up with manners and have always kept my ego in check. When one gets too big for their britches that's when they get knocked down a few notches hopefully feeling humbled, unfortunately, that isn't always the case. If you've ever trained for combat and seen what some men willingly do in combat to save brothers, feeling humbled by their vicinity and accomplishment is not like a golf event slapping you upside the head because your ego needed a reality check... It's about perspective.

> > >

> > > I'd also like to add a comment on the military. I am friends with many active & retired members and highly respectful, with full admiration of their position and choices. (My grandfather was actually in a German POW camp in the second world war) . So I get it.

> > > He was a big tough bear of a man (6'3" and 300) that lived to 88.

> > > That being said, I don't see how comparisons in life - for some - always relate back to military and sacrifice.

> > > There are many MANY life situations and experiences where perspective can be gained. Some people are dealt a rotten hand. Some everyday people are heroic.

> > >

> > Perhaps you don't understand because you've never volunteered to be in the line of fire and willingly offer the ultimate sacrifice for a purpose greater than your own; I have and been around many men that have. People talk about what others do and see it on TV/movies but don't emotionally connect because they haven't done anything remotely similar and or wouldn't. Someone on the golf course or in any sport demonstrating an ability that is beyond the scope or ability of viewers IMO is just a trained ability.

> >

> > I am humbled when in the presence of men that take action not caring about the ultimate sacrifice. Let's put that in perspective. A man in a tournament hits a ball 400+ yards in the middle of the fairway. WOW, that's impressive, am I humbled, no, just impressed with his accomplishment. A man, over and over, runs into the field of fire to pull wounded brothers to safety, as the possible cost of his own life, sometimes by himself to save 5-20 brothers. Yep, I will always relate to the latter action as humbling and just hope that given the same circumstances, I react like him even today.

> > I've played golf with touring pros, pro-Superbowl football stars and baseball players and guys that hit the ball a country mile by me; they are guys doing what they have trained for, consequently, their ability in certain areas are greater than yours and mine, that is all. A game isn't life and death. I chose different training endeavors that lead me to shoot a target 600-750 meters away, close-quarter combat, martial arts, etc., (I wasn't in the military) and building a national company and a 2-5 index. As a result of our positive accomplishments and experiences in life, our self-confidence, self-image and early childhood values play influential roles in what humbles us today.

> >

> > Yes, like you, I've gained a great deal of insight over my life. However, I was taught in Catholic schools to prioritize/value certain actions and behaviors over others that have degrees of right and wrong or not worth acknowledgment. My last thought is your last sentence sounds matter of fact or equally accepting in some respects. I don't value them remotely the same. Have a good day.

>

> "I chose different training endeavors that lead me to shoot a target 600-750 meters away, close-quarter combat, martial arts, etc., (I wasn't in the military) and building a national company and a 2-5 index."

>

> You left out the part where you threw the football over the mountain to win the the state semifinal game.

>

> In my life, I've had the opportunity meet and interview a lot of very successful people. Most of them would rather talk about almost anything BUT themselves, and almost always downplay their accomplishments while elevating others. You seem to be the exact opposite ... odd.

Least you are consistent. I am really sorry not to live up to your limited stereotype versions of successful people. No, I am not humbled by your bias. I am done with this.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Pepper - at least your bragging (false or real) is consistent

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @lawsonman said:

> I should just made it" when's the last time you got a beat down from someone twice your age". ?

Had a very witty comment here. But no version of it doesn't get asterisked out LOL

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

told this guy how good i was..then proceeded to top one off the first tee. Shaved. IT was a weird shot...Fell two feet from the tee peg. Couldn't make eye contact for a while. i was young then

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

I was a member at a club from 1985-1991 and won the Club Championship 3 times in that span. I I could shoot even par in my sleep at this course. I joined another club in 1992 because it was a much more challenging track and had a terrific practice facility on its 288-acre property. In 1995 the one of the qualifiers for our state mid-amateur was being held at my old club. However, in 1995 I had developed a case of the hooks. No matter what I did, an ugly hook would show up at the most inappropriate time. I entered the tournament figuring my old stomping ground would be good medicine for my swing woes. When I checked in the pro told me I was a lock to qualify. Usually 1 or 2 over par gets in and this site was taking 7 qualifiers. The first hole is a straight away par 5, measuring 520-yards. It's a great opening hole to get you settled into your round. I aimed right, playing for my draw/sometimes hook and blocked it dead right out of bounds! I opened with a double bogey. I shot 41 front and 40 back for a smooth 81, 9-over par. Walking off of 18-green, I thought of posting "no card", but figured that'd be as disgusting as my round. My old pro asked me what happened and I told him my take of woe. He recommended Bob Rotella's book and even suggested a sports psychologist. He'd "been there", too. I bought the book and the CDs for my car. It was money well spent. It took some time to get my game back, but I finally got there. That 1995 mid-am was my all-time golfing low.

• Like 1

My most humbling experiences weren’t about my play or my competition, it was about the course. Some tracks are very pedestrian and nothing special. Some are truly architectural marvels and are outright amazing. The way the architect sculpts them out of the existing landscape and the challenges that they draw out naturally, with a little man made kick in the a** added. I’m not referring to the totally man made, “fake” courses that are just trucked in soil and vegetation. It’s especially humbling when a course challenges you on every hole and when you finish, good score or bad, you just smile and say “Wow!”

My most humbling experience _on the course_ which is what the thread is asking for, happened about 4 years ago. It was on a nice lazy summer afternoon at my local golf course where my league was. My oldest daughter had been asking if I could take her three kids, my grandchildren along with me sometime when I play golf just for fun. So I took the day off, knowing there would be practically no one there, and we could take our time as I explained what I was doing.

The folks who run the course whom I know well, let us take 2 carts, and my grandson who was 14 at the time got to drive one. I put my bag in the other and off we went. I explained things like tee-box, and driver, irons, and approach shot, and par, and green. I told them to be quiet when I took my shot and to stand back behind me. They learned about the green and just all kinds of things. So the humbling moment came when we got to a par 5, which I explained to them was one of my favorite holes because many times I was able to birdie it, and I explained how, and what a birdie was, and they were getting into cheering for this. It was a dogleg left, and for whatever reason, I hit a hugely long tee ball, and decided to cut over a set of trees and pond with my 3-wood and go for the green. I couldn't see the actual green but I knew where it was of course. I really tagged that one too, and when we got down to the green, my ball was 2 1/2 from the hole. I couldn't believe it. They knew it was something special, but I took them onto the green and explained to them that they were about to see an eagle! I said I don't get many of these but you will see something very special, so be very quiet. I marked the ball like the pros do, cleaned it, looked at the hole, put my ball down, stood over the put, could sense they were watching, and totally pulled the putt to the left! Not only pulled it, but ran it past about 3 feet. Of course they all went 'awwww', sounded like a gallery of 5,000, and one of them said 'that's alright grandpa'... So I said, well, at least I'll still get a birdie, and sure enough, I putted short! I looked at them and my youngest granddaughter said 'now what grandpa? I said I have a new golf word for you- it's called a 'gimmie', and I picked up the ball and we all laughed...

My grandson is going in the Army in September, and he was asking me about my league a few weeks ago, and he said 'have you had any gimmies lately?'

• Like 3

When i was 17, I'd run through my state junior strokeplay tournament at -8 for 36 holes, qualified 3rd for the matchplay component. Won my first two matches 7/6 and 5/4 and i was thinking cruise control win in the semis and I'll be in the final. Stepped onto the first tee, downhill par 4 that I'd played well all week, probably 100 people watching, and snap hooked one across the next fairway out of bounds. Lost the hole and then the match 4/3. Learned quickly that overconfidence in golf will bite you in the arse quickly

• 2 weeks later...

I got beat by a 73 yr old in a match play comp. Despite being fairly new to the game, he was off 15 vs my 13, I just didn't believe he could beat me for his age, which he did, mostly due to me playing badly and him playing solid. Turns out he used to be off 5, had played the course for 40 years and won the comp twice in that time, but it was pure ageism on my part.

After the game my golf buddies laughed at me for losing to an "old guy", but 3 days later, he beats everyone (including those who laughed at me) at the club in the weekend comp and I got the last laugh and felt much better about my loss :)

Golf has a lot of instant karma in it, never get cocky or take it or people for granted, or bad things will happen.

Lesson Learned.

In 04' I played in the City Championship here. It was after my 1st year of playing college golf. I showed up that weekend ready to dominate everyone. I had heard about this older gentleman who was decent but never really played against him. No lie he was playing old mizuno blades, older woods, and ping anser putter. His bag was off colored green. The best part was he was a rancher/farmer work wore jeans, work shirt, and fixed his divots with a hunting knife. It was a 3 day tournament and you played 3 different courses. I opened with a 69 & 71 for a 3 shot lead going into the final round. He shot 72 & 71. We were paired together going into the last day I opened with a 1 under 35 and he shot 31. I was pressing at this point ending up shooting 71 and he fired a 63 to beat me into the ground. Come to find out he was a All-American at Baylor and had people offering to pay for him to go on tour. But he would rather be a farmer & rancher.

• Like 1

I'm right with the OP on that humbling part. Been there, done that.

Older players that can hit 150-200 and just be in the middle every time, up on the green, CLOSE, and 1 putt. I've said to myself many times, why do I even have a club that goes farther than 225?

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

> @Pepperturbo said:

> > @JJK947 said:

> > The guy with no ego or inflated self perception is above being humbled by someone else's golf ability. Only the pinnacle of human sacrifice and valor is able to humble such a man. Right.

> >

> > Speaking of abilities, being a scratch and a fairly long hitter, it's not overly common that something humbles me on the golf course but playing with guys who have done long drive is always fascinating. Their ability is not something that I can comprehend or relate to. On the self inflicted front, it's always humbling when testing the game in tournament mode doesn't doesn't come close to expectations. Triggers a mental reset for me.

>

> I attended Catholic schools until college. Like others, I have an ID, Ego, and SuperEgo, and intimately acquainted with humility. Unfortunately, too many people redefine words not paying attention to why they exist in the first place. A few years back I played with a young guy that hit only one driver that day, from an elevated tee, it carried over 430 yards. No, I was not humbled by his ability, but impressed by his ability to smack the ball that hard.

Freudian psychology has been discredited for the better part of 100 years. You actually don’t have an id, ego, and superego. You have a brain.

I have been chronically ill for over two decades and am very sick most days. My life is good, but it’s really hard. I am still humbled by golf, A GAME. I’m humbled by a lot of things, because I’m open to growth and changing my views of the world.

Your definition of humble is totally wrong, by the way. I think you needed to pay closer attention at Catholic school.

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @"deadsolid...shank" said:

> “Oh Lord, it’s hard to be humble when you’re perfect in every way”!?

>

> If I had any computer ability I’d post a link to the song

THANKS A LOT!!!! I listened to and played that song in a band so much I wanted to rip my ears off. Through extensive therapy I had erased it from my mind until your post reminded me of it. I hate you! :)

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

We had a buddies trip to Vegas a few years ago and were playing Rio Secco. The cart girl drives up, and I proceed to miss an approach from about 165 out. She giggles and says “20 says I can put it on from here.” I hand her my club and with one of the most beautiful swings I’ve seen, knocks it within 5 feet of the pin. Lesson learned, don’t get hustled by the cart girl.

• 3 months later...

Here is mine. 30 years ago when I was 25 I played to a +2 handicap at my club. I entered a tournament at my home course and proceeded to shoot a 91. Had no clue what happened. I hit at least four drives out of bounds. 3 putted at least 8 times. It was a mess from start to finish.

I was so upset after I walked right from the 18th green to my car and left. Didn't play again for two weeks. It was 30 years ago but I never forgot it. It a good reminder to myself that no matter how good you think you are, you're not.

I'm 55 now and still play at a three but never again have I ever thought I was good and it kept me humble about this game for life. LOL

One other one the same year. I played Glenn Abbey in Canada right after the Canadian open. Again, thinking I was better than I was, I was humbled quickly by playing a professional course set up for a PGA event. Wow, is all I can say.

It cured me of ever thinking I was more than a decent local player. That course was on a whole other level of golf I knew nothing about. Still don't. After all these years. I'm happy just to enjoy playing my club and shooting decent scores but don't think for one minute I'm better than I am.

I thought I was pretty good until I joined the match play league this year. I lost all 10 matches and was leading everyone at the turn. Giving strokes to higher handicaps made me think I was good. Getting strokes made me think I was not good enough.

Match play forces you to learn a lot about yourself and your game.

I am a different golfer because of it.

We had a outing with about 30 Chicago guys a while back. One guy brought a friend who hadn't played in a few years, had 20+ year old clubs and proceeded to shoot 67 on a difficult course. He had a full ride to The Ohio State University and had beaten Justin Leonard in the NCAA tournament years ago. He had a run of eagle, birdie, eagle, par, birdie, birdie.

• Like 1

> @jacob7071 said:

> A few years ago, I finally qualified for the Texas mid-am. I was in the middle of the afternoon wave on day 1 and saw that the leader from the morning wave was 1 under par. I birdied 9 to get to 2 under, and at this tournament, there were leaderboards around the course and volunteers collecting scores every 3 holes to give us live (ish) scoring. We report our scores after 9 and head to 10. On the 10th tee, we had to wait for one of the TGA photographers who's driving toward us. She set up her camera and got ready to take our pictures, only, after I swing, she puts the camera away. Same thing in the fairway - she took my picture and ignored my fellow competitors. On the way to the green, I thought, the leader was 1 under, and I'm 2 under. Is that why she's here? A 3-putt on 10 led to back nine scores of bogey, bogey, double-bogey, bogey, quadruple-bogey, bogey, triple-bogey, par, par. She stopped taking my picture on hole 11.

Did you rebound? What happened in your next tournament??? :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I shot a respectable 76 the next day to miss the cut by one. That was the last tournament of the season. The first tournament of the following season was a qualifier for the state amateur. I played really well (for me). Hit about 11 fairways and 14 greens and finished 2 over 74. Missed qualifying by 4. Then I ran triathlons for a couple of years. No one has taken my picture on the golf course since - unless it was a creeper that I don't know about.

Years and years ago, I played in a small local tournament, mostly a fundraiser for the club. On the 7th hole, par 3, there was a hole-in-one prize of significant value, a loaded pickup. The organizer had found two strippers from the nearest city that had strippers to serve drinks on the tee. They were not naked, but there was no gender confusion either. There was also a considerable pool of spectators making bets and ragging the players. While alertly watching to see that the two young ladies were not threatened by a rabid badger or other wildlife, I tripped over a tee block and face planted in front of the whole crowd. After a round of hearty cheers, I composed myself enough to chunk a five iron about fifty yards. Shortly thereafter, the organizers wife and other wives appeared, and I was told that I missed the real show.

I fell into a muddy creek trying to fish out a ball. Since I was already on the course, I played our loop, and returned to the clubhouse wet and muddy. I've never been humbled by someone beating me. If you play a game, sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose, that's just the nature of sports. I don't feel special if I win, and I give credit to my opponent if I lose, but I don't feel humbled.

Earlier this year I was playing in Phoenix with clubs that had just been extended and lie adjusted so I knew there would be an adjustment period with them. Front nine I'm firing on all cylinders and sitting at -1. Make the turn feeling great and following it up with a 9 over back nine, still shot a great round but the ten shot swing on the back was humbling to say the least.

Then a couple months later I'm playing in the club Championship and get to fire off a triple on an easy par 4, then play solid the next 8 holes. Come up on my nemesis hole and pull hook the first shot out of bounds. Tee up another and pull hook it OB again. Now I'm on tilt and tell my group if this goes ob I'm leaving and not putting up with an ass kicking round. Third tee shot is pulled, hits a tree and is inside the white stake by a foot, play out for an 8 completely shook. Ended up battling like crazy the next 5 holes to stay in somewhat relevant. Come out the next day drinking beers and play a much better round and take third net.

What a weird, confusing, and beautiful game chasing a white ball around.

Oof - all day today at Oak Quarry. It's not an SUPER challenging layout ... until you put like 20-30mph winds with crazy strong gusts on it.

Just one of those days where I look back on the round and think "I hit the ball well" ... but got a bunch of incredibly bad breaks, couldn't make a putt and posted my worst score in months.

Been playing so consistently decent the last good while; guess I needed to be reminded I ain't THAT good.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept