What would you pay to play?

Hipcheck and I spoke about this at the Titleist experience one night. He and the others probably thought i was dumb/crazy, but as I told them, to me, a single round of golf isn't worth more than $300. I don't care where it is haha. Yes it would be painful to turn down a round at many of those places mentioned, but if it comes with a huge price tag, I am just not in a place where throwing that kind of money is worth it.

Probably different than most haha

Forever Changing at this point.......

> @PapaJohick said:

> Hipcheck and I spoke about this at the Titleist experience one night. He and the others probably thought i was dumb/crazy, but as I told them, to me, a single round of golf isn't worth more than $300. I don't care where it is haha. Yes it would be painful to turn down a round at many of those places mentioned, but if it comes with a huge price tag, I am just not in a place where throwing that kind of money is worth it.

> Probably different than most haha

good point and tend to agree. My father always said dont tell another man how to spend their money

Last summer I golfed my way from Pittsburgh to Vancouver and back. The most expensive round on the trip was Gamble Sands, pushing $200. Which was a lot, considering that the next highest was maybe $70. I sort of stressed over the Gamble Sands fee because I tend to ruin expensive things for myself. If I have a meal in a really expensive restaurant It may be great, but I’m thinking about the three perfectly good meals I could have had at very good restaurants for the same money.

Playing the round, I didn’t think of the money once, and if I hadn’t been on a schedule I’d have played it again.

Some experiences are just worth it.

Would love to play Merion.

ANGC- $1,000

PV- $750

Cypress Point - $750

Oakmont -$250

Merion - $100 ( I have ties there if i really wanted to play it)

Shinnecock - $350

Pebble Beach - $150

National Golf Links - $500

Sand Hills - $250

Fishers Island - $750

Home Courses
- Country Club of Scranton
- Seven Oaks GC at Colgate University

> @monty09 said:

>

> ANGC - $5000

> PV - $2000

> Cypress Point - $2000

> Oakmont -$1000

> Merion -$1000

> Shinnecock -$500

> Pebble Beach - $500

> National Golf Links -$0

> Sand Hills -$1000

> Fishers Island -$0

$0 for NGLA?!?!

Taylormade M2 2017 9.5 Taylormade M4 16.5 Taylormade RBZ 3 iron bent to 17.5 Taylormade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW Vokey SM5 Black 50, 54, 58 Taylormade Spider S

> @monty09 said:

> > @Davidelliott100 said:

> > > @monty09 said:

> > >

> > > ANGC - $5000

> > > PV - $2000

> > > Cypress Point - $2000

> > > Oakmont -$1000

> > > Merion -$1000

> > > Shinnecock -$500

> > > Pebble Beach - $500

> > > National Golf Links -$0

> > > Sand Hills -$1000

> > > Fishers Island -$0

> >

> > $0 for NGLA?!?!

>

> correct

Wow! To each their own, but that would be WAY up there for me on that list of courses.

Taylormade M2 2017 9.5 Taylormade M4 16.5 Taylormade RBZ 3 iron bent to 17.5 Taylormade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW Vokey SM5 Black 50, 54, 58 Taylormade Spider S

> @Davidelliott100 said:

> > @monty09 said:

> > > @Davidelliott100 said:

> > > > @monty09 said:

> > > >

> > > > ANGC - $5000

> > > > PV - $2000

> > > > Cypress Point - $2000

> > > > Oakmont -$1000

> > > > Merion -$1000

> > > > Shinnecock -$500

> > > > Pebble Beach - $500

> > > > National Golf Links -$0

> > > > Sand Hills -$1000

> > > > Fishers Island -$0

> > >

> > > $0 for NGLA?!?!

> >

> > correct

>

> Wow! To each their own, but that would be WAY up there for me on that list of courses.

yup... I mean i have played most of them already so really the number is $0 but for sake of sport - i listed a number

> @daveltb said:

> I've never payed more than $100 for a round of golf, so I'm not sure I would even feel comfortable paying the $550 or whatever green fees to play PB. Guess I'll leave all those courses on the list to you rich people. After all golf is an elitist game and those kinds of courses prove it.

The first sentence, I can dig it. There’s the old saying that you can have anything you want, but you can’t have everything you want. Doesn’t apply to some people, but it’s true for most of us. On my trip last summer I had planned to play Whistling Straits as my bucket list course. But coming down to it, I couldn’t commit to a round that cost at least $500, once you add the caddie and tips. So I made Gamble Sands my splurge and enjoyed the heck out of it.

We each have a point where means and passion intersect. When I was in college, one summer my girlfriend and I ran a little soft drink concession at the university theatre. We paid for the ice and the bulk soda cans, sold a cup of soda (coke, sprite, orange) for a buck each and made a little bit of money, which she suggested that we save for a really nice dinner at a real French restaurant. So, at the end of the summer we dressed up and went to The Normandy in Denver. Spent the whole wad. We’re talking maybe six productions, three or four shows each, setting up, serving, cleaning and taking down, maybe 20-25 hours. She was in heaven, thought it was totally worth it. I enjoyed her enjoyment, if you get my drift, but French cuisine wasn’t my passion so the meal itself didn’t seem a fair trade for that much work the way, say, a couple weeks’ worth of groceries would have.

Which brings me to your last sentence, which seems unnecessarily dour. The really expensive courses only prove that golf courses follow the same economic influences as houses, cars, and everything else. Means and passion. You have to have one or the other to pursue extraordinary things or experiences, and when people have both, well, you get places like Augusta. Although there are elite and super-elite courses, just as there are elite restaurants, that doesn’t make either golf or restaurants elitist as a whole. Far more rounds get played at munis than exclusive clubs, and far more meals get eaten at Olive Garden than Daniel or Momofuku Ko. A few people can afford five-star restaurants every night, or memberships at places like Oakmont or Pine Valley. The majority of us can’t, so we enjoy what we can afford. Sometimes we save and splurge. When golfers of modest means find a way to play very expensive courses occasionally one can only hope that they find the experience to be worth it.

> @howellhandmade said:

> > @daveltb said:

> > I've never payed more than $100 for a round of golf, so I'm not sure I would even feel comfortable paying the $550 or whatever green fees to play PB. Guess I'll leave all those courses on the list to you rich people. After all golf is an elitist game and those kinds of courses prove it.

>

> The first sentence, I can dig it. There’s the old saying that you can have anything you want, but you can’t have everything you want. Doesn’t apply to some people, but it’s true for most of us. On my trip last summer I had planned to play Whistling Straits as my bucket list course. But coming down to it, I couldn’t commit to a round that cost at least $500, once you add the caddie and tips. So I made Gamble Sands my splurge and enjoyed the heck out of it.

>

> We each have a point where means and passion intersect. When I was in college, one summer my girlfriend and I ran a little soft drink concession at the university theatre. We paid for the ice and the bulk soda cans, sold a cup of soda (coke, sprite, orange) for a buck each and made a little bit of money, which she suggested that we save for a really nice dinner at a real French restaurant. So, at the end of the summer we dressed up and went to The Normandy in Denver. Spent the whole wad. We’re talking maybe six productions, three or four shows each, setting up, serving, cleaning and taking down, maybe 20-25 hours. She was in heaven, thought it was totally worth it. I enjoyed her enjoyment, if you get my drift, but French cuisine wasn’t my passion so the meal itself didn’t seem a fair trade for that much work the way, say, a couple weeks’ worth of groceries would have.

>

> Which brings me to your last sentence, which seems unnecessarily dour. The really expensive courses only prove that golf courses follow the same economic influences as houses, cars, and everything else. Means and passion. You have to have one or the other to pursue extraordinary things or experiences, and when people have both, well, you get places like Augusta. Although there are elite and super-elite courses, just as there are elite restaurants, that doesn’t make either golf or restaurants elitist as a whole. Far more rounds get played at munis than exclusive clubs, and far more meals get eaten at Olive Garden than Daniel or Momofuku Ko. A few people can afford five-star restaurants every night, or memberships at places like Oakmont or Pine Valley. The majority of us can’t, so we enjoy what we can afford. Sometimes we save and splurge. When golfers of modest means find a way to play very expensive courses occasionally one can only hope that they find the experience to be worth it.

Momofuku Ko is/was worth it. Nice write up

These courses are bucket list ones for me, and as such I would be willing to pay more for the experience. I'm at a point in life where I can afford to splurge on things like this, however it's not something I do very often.

Last July I played Pebble and Spyglass. Pebble was $550 +$95 for caddie, and Spyglass wasn't much cheaper. Plus the resort was $1k a night with a two night minimum. While we were playing my buddy and I never discussed or whined about the price. That helped make the experience more enjoyable. Watching the US Open last week I had my scorecard from PB next to me and compared my round to what I was watching, and that was a lot of fun.

The only other course on the list that would really get me to drop more than $1k is Augusta. I have an acquaintance who has an in there and plays it a couple of times a year. We are on very friendly terms and while we're in vastly different economic circles we talk and understand golf equally. I've been gently approaching the subject of making a trip with him one of these times, and while he hasn't shut me down it hasn't happened yet. He did say that playing AGNCC and staying in the cabins along with dining there etc averages $5k a person. It's a price I'm willing to pay as that would be the ultimate bucket list round for me.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

> @RSinSG said:

> These courses are bucket list ones for me, and as such I would be willing to pay more for the experience. I'm at a point in life where I can afford to splurge on things like this, however it's not something I do very often.

>

> Last July I played Pebble and Spyglass. Pebble was $550 +$95 for caddie, and Spyglass wasn't much cheaper. Plus the resort was $1k a night with a two night minimum. While we were playing my buddy and I never discussed or whined about the price. That helped make the experience more enjoyable. Watching the US Open last week I had my scorecard from PB next to me and compared my round to what I was watching, and that was a lot of fun.

>

> The only other course on the list that would really get me to drop more than $1k is Augusta. I have an acquaintance who has an in there and plays it a couple of times a year. We are on very friendly terms and while we're in vastly different economic circles we talk and understand golf equally. I've been gently approaching the subject of making a trip with him one of these times, and while he hasn't shut me down it hasn't happened yet. He did say that playing AGNCC and staying in the cabins along with dining there etc averages $5k a person. It's a price I'm willing to pay as that would be the ultimate bucket list round for me.

and all wine is sold at cost... not many places in the world you can drink screaming eagle at cost

• Like 1

> @tgard227 said:

> > @WarEagleGolf said:

> > Augusta National, name it. I'll make it happen. But those members in nooooo waaay need my money. Jerks. I just want to play it once. And maybe sleep the night on one of the greens.

> >

> > The rest are mostly public, so I'd pay rack rate. Wouldn't even try to get the discount, unless it was as simple as staying at the resort with it. Cypress, yeah...I'd pay alot as well, but ANGC is a lifetime dream, being from Ga, watching the Masters my whole life (even before I started playing golf), and going once - that one is a need. At some point. To me (not looking for debate) there is no finer golf course on this planet.

>

> I thought that if you volunteered at Augusta for the week that you get an invite to come back in September or something to play the course? I'm pretty sure that i am correct on this but please let me know if i am wrong.

You can. Big waiting list for the volunteering last I heard, and it is a full week. I mean, I guess I could. This is how much would you "pay", not what would you "do!" :D Although - that could be quite and entertaining thread.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

> @WarEagleGolf said:

> > @tgard227 said:

> > > @WarEagleGolf said:

> > > Augusta National, name it. I'll make it happen. But those members in nooooo waaay need my money. Jerks. I just want to play it once. And maybe sleep the night on one of the greens.

> > >

> > > The rest are mostly public, so I'd pay rack rate. Wouldn't even try to get the discount, unless it was as simple as staying at the resort with it. Cypress, yeah...I'd pay alot as well, but ANGC is a lifetime dream, being from Ga, watching the Masters my whole life (even before I started playing golf), and going once - that one is a need. At some point. To me (not looking for debate) there is no finer golf course on this planet.

> >

> > I thought that if you volunteered at Augusta for the week that you get an invite to come back in September or something to play the course? I'm pretty sure that i am correct on this but please let me know if i am wrong.

>

> You can. Big waiting list for the volunteering last I heard, and it is a full week. I mean, I guess I could. This is how much would you "pay", not what would you "do!" :D Although - that could be quite and entertaining thread.

work for free 40 hours a week for a round.... i rather pay and be in office 40 hours a week

> @monty09 said:

> > @WarEagleGolf said:

> > > @tgard227 said:

> > > > @WarEagleGolf said:

> > > > Augusta National, name it. I'll make it happen. But those members in nooooo waaay need my money. Jerks. I just want to play it once. And maybe sleep the night on one of the greens.

> > > >

> > > > The rest are mostly public, so I'd pay rack rate. Wouldn't even try to get the discount, unless it was as simple as staying at the resort with it. Cypress, yeah...I'd pay alot as well, but ANGC is a lifetime dream, being from Ga, watching the Masters my whole life (even before I started playing golf), and going once - that one is a need. At some point. To me (not looking for debate) there is no finer golf course on this planet.

> > >

> > > I thought that if you volunteered at Augusta for the week that you get an invite to come back in September or something to play the course? I'm pretty sure that i am correct on this but please let me know if i am wrong.

> >

> > You can. Big waiting list for the volunteering last I heard, and it is a full week. I mean, I guess I could. This is how much would you "pay", not what would you "do!" :D Although - that could be quite and entertaining thread.

>

> work for free 40 hours a week for a round.... i rather pay and be in office 40 hours a week

Nah, just use PTO for your real job so you can volunteer for the week, still get paid, and also play the course. Win/win/win!

> @daveltb said:

> I've never payed more than $100 for a round of golf, so I'm not sure I would even feel comfortable paying the $550 or whatever green fees to play PB. Guess I'll leave all those courses on the list to you rich people. After all golf is an elitist game and those kinds of courses prove it.

My local muni is $20 so that disproves it.

> @daveltb said:

Yes. Just like expensive restaurants and expensive cars prove eating out and personal transportation are elitist as well.

No one questions golf costs money and we all value different things differently, but give us break.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

ANGC - $5K

PV - $500ish

Cypress Point - $500ish

Oakmont - $350

Merion - $300

Shinnecock - $400

Pebble Beach - Done it several times - so I guess I will pay the $500 they asked for

National Golf Links - no interest

Sand Hills - no interest

Fishers Island - no interest

• Like 1

> @2bGood said:

> ANGC - $5K

> PV - $500ish

> Cypress Point - $500ish

> Oakmont - $350

> Merion - $300

> Shinnecock - $400

> Pebble Beach - Done it several times - so I guess I will pay the $500 they asked for

> National Golf Links - no interest

> Sand Hills - no interest

> Fishers Island - no interest

good market... i like it

I'm not one that idolizes certain golf courses. When I travel with my clubs (rarely) I try to find hidden gems via GolfNow or asking around Reddit/forums.

Maryland National is a recent example. I think I paid $45 to play it and it was a wet, gloomy day so I had the course almost entirely to myself.

Taylormade M1 9.5°  |  Speeder 661

Ping G 14.5°  |  Aldila NV 75

Titleist T-MB 21°  |  S400

PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW  |  Elevate Tour X100

Callaway MD Forged  |  Recoil 125

Taylormade  |  Spider Tour Black

> @monty09 said:

> > @2bGood said:

> > ANGC - $5K

> > PV - $500ish

> > Cypress Point - $500ish

> > Oakmont - $350

> > Merion - $300

> > Shinnecock - $400

> > Pebble Beach - Done it several times - so I guess I will pay the $500 they asked for

> > National Golf Links - no interest

> > Sand Hills - no interest

> > Fishers Island - no interest

>

> good market... i like it

Pretty sure I could get one of my usual groups to all pay this. Maybe max 2k. But 500ish easy

> @wagsgt said:

> > @monty09 said:

> > > @2bGood said:

> > > ANGC - $5K

> > > PV - $500ish

> > > Cypress Point - $500ish

> > > Oakmont - $350

> > > Merion - $300

> > > Shinnecock - $400

> > > Pebble Beach - Done it several times - so I guess I will pay the $500 they asked for

> > > National Golf Links - no interest

> > > Sand Hills - no interest

> > > Fishers Island - no interest

> >

> > good market... i like it

> Pretty sure I could get one of my usual groups to all pay this. Maybe max 2k. But 500ish easy

>

we have played all but with a slightly higher ticket price

• 3 weeks later...

Bandon Dunes, Sand Valley, Cabot Cliffs. Good enough.

For those of you yearning for Sand Hills, there is the Prairie Club in Valentine, NE which is the poor man's Sand Hills.

As I get older the bucket courses take on less importance, but I appreciate that this is a very individual decision. For me, I am not sure I would pay more than a few hundred bucks to play any of the courses, but if I could bring my buddies along for "play all damn day" like the Bandon experience, I might drop some serious coin...a few thousand bucks.

With that said, a more appealing experience would be something like Tom Coyne's book about Ireland. Bouncing around some of the lesser known courses in the smaller towns in Ireland. Totally cool.

While I get the appeal of ANGC, there is something about the vibe that Cypress Point oozes that feels more like me. I might be wrong but it would be interesting to hear the contrast between the two from somebody that has played both.

> @howellhandmade said:

> Last summer I golfed my way from Pittsburgh to Vancouver and back. The most expensive round on the trip was Gamble Sands, pushing $200. Which was a lot, considering that the next highest was maybe $70. I sort of stressed over the Gamble Sands fee because I tend to ruin expensive things for myself. If I have a meal in a really expensive restaurant It may be great, but I’m thinking about the three perfectly good meals I could have had at very good restaurants for the same money.

>

> Playing the round, I didn’t think of the money once, and if I hadn’t been on a schedule I’d have played it again.

>

> Some experiences are just worth it.

>

> Would love to play Merion.

This is pretty cool and something I hope to do as I approach retirement. More appealing than a single round at one of the bucket list courses, cruising around the country looking for hidden gems sounds like a blast. Have done some similar small scale trips in the past. So many great courses in low visited and population areas of this country. Went to the Links of North Dakota for 3 days last summer. There wasn't 30 people playing each day. A terrific layout.