2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Booking tee time as a single

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > Honestly, if you were booking as a single on a weekend morning, and you saw an open 4-slot, and an adjacent 3-slot, would you really book as a single in the 4-slot? Are folks that paranoid about joining another single golfer on a busy weekend morning? I could possibly see a player wanting to play a practice solo round in the afternoon, but filling a bunch of open 4-slots seems odd.

> >

> > Of course not, but I don't buy the previous poster's contention that a popular course would magically fill it's teesheet with the same degree of ease if it was a free-for-all, vs restricting singles to already occupied slots, especially the impact on foursomes booking.

> > Like you I'm taking an already occupied slot, I have zero interest in getting stuck amongst groups as a single.

>

> There are 76 public courses in Chicago that allow singles to book in any 4-slot. That ~35% of all courses. I have to imagine that if the policy caused significant issues for the courses, the number would be much, much lower. Yes, in theory it can be a problem, but I think the reality is much different.

Just how long has this single booking in your area had been in effect ?

Unless the golf courses never gets filled, anyway. The cancellation of the single booking will happen. It had never worked in the past for busy golf courses.

Besides, If I walked on as single golfer, shouldn't be too difficult to get on the golf course. Even in prime season, maybe at most 45-60 minutes waiting depending on how long the waiting list is.

If the reserved tee time for walk on filled up quickly, there be golfers not showing up in the 4-some booking.

Same as walking in a busy restaurant, they never take reservation for a single and waiting for a small table is the norm, unless the single could share the larger table with strangers.

Now that's more odd than golf with strangers. Eating at a table with strangers have no personal space, unlike on a golf course, the closest time to each other would be on the tee box.

> @wkuo3 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @duffer987 said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > Honestly, if you were booking as a single on a weekend morning, and you saw an open 4-slot, and an adjacent 3-slot, would you really book as a single in the 4-slot? Are folks that paranoid about joining another single golfer on a busy weekend morning? I could possibly see a player wanting to play a practice solo round in the afternoon, but filling a bunch of open 4-slots seems odd.

> > >

> > > Of course not, but I don't buy the previous poster's contention that a popular course would magically fill it's teesheet with the same degree of ease if it was a free-for-all, vs restricting singles to already occupied slots, especially the impact on foursomes booking.

> > > Like you I'm taking an already occupied slot, I have zero interest in getting stuck amongst groups as a single.

> >

> > There are 76 public courses in Chicago that allow singles to book in any 4-slot. That ~35% of all courses. I have to imagine that if the policy caused significant issues for the courses, the number would be much, much lower. Yes, in theory it can be a problem, but I think the reality is much different.

>

> Just how long has this single booking in your area had been in effect ?

> Unless the golf courses never gets filled, anyway. The cancellation of the single booking will happen. It had never worked in the past for busy golf courses.

> Besides, If I walked on as single golfer, shouldn't be too difficult to get on the golf course. Even in prime season, maybe at most 45-60 minutes waiting depending on how long the waiting list is.

> If the reserved tee time for walk on filled up quickly, there be golfers not showing up in the 4-some booking.

> Same as walking in a busy restaurant, they never take reservation for a single and waiting for a small table is the norm, unless the single could share the larger table with strangers.

> Now that's more odd than golf with strangers. Eating at a table with strangers have no personal space, unlike on a golf course, the closest time to each other would be on the tee box.

Most of the courses on the Chicago Single Friendly list have had the policy for over a decade. A small number have implemented the policy in the past few years. I'd say more courses are going single friendly than heading in the other direction.

Who the h*ll has 60 minutes to wait? With traffic heading back into downtown, an extra hour at the course can mean 90 minutes or more some days. I start looking for weekend tee times on Tuesday. By that point many courses are fully booked during the prime morning hours.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @wkuo3 said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > @duffer987 said:

> > > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > Honestly, if you were booking as a single on a weekend morning, and you saw an open 4-slot, and an adjacent 3-slot, would you really book as a single in the 4-slot? Are folks that paranoid about joining another single golfer on a busy weekend morning? I could possibly see a player wanting to play a practice solo round in the afternoon, but filling a bunch of open 4-slots seems odd.

> > > >

> > > > Of course not, but I don't buy the previous poster's contention that a popular course would magically fill it's teesheet with the same degree of ease if it was a free-for-all, vs restricting singles to already occupied slots, especially the impact on foursomes booking.

> > > > Like you I'm taking an already occupied slot, I have zero interest in getting stuck amongst groups as a single.

> > >

> > > There are 76 public courses in Chicago that allow singles to book in any 4-slot. That ~35% of all courses. I have to imagine that if the policy caused significant issues for the courses, the number would be much, much lower. Yes, in theory it can be a problem, but I think the reality is much different.

> >

> > Just how long has this single booking in your area had been in effect ?

> > Unless the golf courses never gets filled, anyway. The cancellation of the single booking will happen. It had never worked in the past for busy golf courses.

> > Besides, If I walked on as single golfer, shouldn't be too difficult to get on the golf course. Even in prime season, maybe at most 45-60 minutes waiting depending on how long the waiting list is.

> > If the reserved tee time for walk on filled up quickly, there be golfers not showing up in the 4-some booking.

> > Same as walking in a busy restaurant, they never take reservation for a single and waiting for a small table is the norm, unless the single could share the larger table with strangers.

> > Now that's more odd than golf with strangers. Eating at a table with strangers have no personal space, unlike on a golf course, the closest time to each other would be on the tee box.

>

> Most of the courses on the Chicago Single Friendly list have had the policy for over a decade. A small number have implemented the policy in the past few years. I'd say more courses are going single friendly than heading in the other direction.

>

> Who the h*ll has 60 minutes to wait? With traffic heading back into downtown, an extra hour at the course can mean 90 minutes or more some days. I start looking for weekend tee times on Tuesday. By that point many courses are fully booked during the prime morning hours.

During prime time without a tee time reservation. Walk-on wait for 30-60 minutes if there is an opeing, around here anyway.

I'm very surprised that the policy of allowing a single golfer to book over the open tee time had been in existence for more than a decade in Chicago.

They must have limited spots opening to the single booking, or only open to the singles for booking with limited advanced booking ( like a day ahead of tee ). The practice of allowing single golfer to book freely on the open tee sheet really defy the logic for survival and business sense. It'll never work around here. Or, the golf courses are not given themselves all the possibility for maximum profit.

It is understood if the golf course open a few tee time for the single booking or, limit the advanced booking allowing only a day ahead for single booking on the vacant tee time.

Or simply, the golf courses are heavily subsidized by the public's funding and don;t care of maximizing operational income.

Our municipal golf courses funnels part of their income to the Parks and Recreation Department. You'd bet they run it as a normal business.

I've played over 500 rounds in Chicagoland in the past decade, and I can assure you that the vast majority of courses, municipal and non-municipal, allowed singles to book tee times in advance. Many require a single to book with an existing 2-some or 3-some, but many more allow a single to book in any open 4-slot. As I noted earlier, if this caused any type of disruption I'm sure they would have changed the policy. They did not. I guess they use different logic. The courses are packed, and few seem to be suffering.

I think there are simply fewer foursomes playing. With threesomes and twosomes the norm, having a single book an empty 4-slot doesn't pose a significant risk, as the open three slots will still be filled. People are busy. I know a lot of golfers who generally play as a single. Courses have begun to realize that single golfers can fill out tee sheets.

Allowing singles to book in advance isn't just a Chicago thing. I've played over 300 courses outside Chicago in the past 5 years, and I'd say 95% of them allowed me to book in advance.

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Dup post. I really wish they'd allow us to delete posts with N minutes of posting.

> @Argonne69 said:

> I think there are simply fewer foursomes playing. With threesomes and twosomes the norm, having a single book an empty 4-slot doesn't pose a significant risk, as the open three slots will still be filled. People are busy. I know a lot of golfers who generally play as a single. Courses have begun to realize that single golfers can fill out tee sheets.

Now that you mention it, I think the thing about fewer foursomes is true.

Back in the 90's when I started playing golf I certainly played often as a single or as a twosome with a guy I worked with. But I seem to remember people going to a lot of effort to call around their friends and try to make sure they had four golfers in their upcoming round. I think it was simply that a lot of people were used to playing in foursomes and, whatever policy about tee times the course may or may not have had, they preferred to play with three other guys.

Probably in part because back then it seemed like **everybody** wanted to play a 4BBB Nassau game whenever possible. I remember occasionally getting a phone call (remember "calling" on a "phone" instead of texting?) on a Friday evening asking me to fill in for someone who couldn't play with his usual foursome. What I can't remember is when that _meme_ of golf being a game best played as a fourball died out...it might have just been when I started playing at private clubs instead of semi-private courses.

> @Edward_Majorwin said:

> On the subject of foursomes, pretty much every weekend Mr golf addict here books a four and then I begin the hunt to fill the spots. I know a lot of people who play golf and it's a darn struggle at times to fill the 3 spots. It's worse than asking girls out!! (I gave up on that years ago haha)

That's why many of us play as singles. 'Too much work trying to bend arms to get buddies out on the course.

> @Edward_Majorwin said:

> On the subject of foursomes, pretty much every weekend Mr golf addict here books a four and then I begin the hunt to fill the spots. I know a lot of people who play golf and it's a darn struggle at times to fill the 3 spots. It's worse than asking girls out!! (I gave up on that years ago haha)

Yup that’s pretty much the standard situation every week for me as well. To the op I am also in Metro Vancouver and pretty much just call whatever course I want to play and most are good with putting you on the tee sheet with a two or three some that are already booked. Now prime time weekend slots are usually a problem with lots of foursomes booked but I haven’t had too many issues calling the courses directly day of and getting on as a single. To the op is there a specific course you are having issues with getting on? I know the online route for basically every course doesn’t give the single option but calling directly most seem to be open to slotting singles in.

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

> @tips09 said:

> > @Edward_Majorwin said:

> > On the subject of foursomes, pretty much every weekend Mr golf addict here books a four and then I begin the hunt to fill the spots. I know a lot of people who play golf and it's a darn struggle at times to fill the 3 spots. It's worse than asking girls out!! (I gave up on that years ago haha)

> Yup that’s pretty much the standard situation every week for me as well. To the op I am also in Metro Vancouver and pretty much just call whatever course I want to play and most are good with putting you on the tee sheet with a two or three some that are already booked. Now prime time weekend slots are usually a problem with lots of foursomes booked but I haven’t had too many issues calling the courses directly day of and getting on as a single. To the op is there a specific course you are having issues with getting on? I know the online route for basically every course doesn’t give the single option but calling directly most seem to be open to slotting singles in.

>

So why is that? Why would a course book a single with a phone call, and not online? All the major booking engines can be configured to allow a single to join a 2some or 3some. Is it not 2019? What's with this phone call cr-p?

• Like 1

All courses I play will allow a single to join a 2/3some tee time by calling. I think they feel you are more serious

by calling and more importantly they want to make sure the 2/3 you join is only 2/3 and not the last 2 of a big group.

I recommend that you first check the online tee time system and find where the 2/3's are, before calling for a

tee time. I never show up or do the just come on out.

To clarify for some of the previous discussion I was not talking about booking a single into a fully open spot. I would prefer to golf with people and our locals would never book a single into an open 4 spot. Also, the courses that do let me book only allow it THE DAY OF. I want to join a 2/3 some.

In reference to Japanese golf culture. In Vancouver we have a HUMONGOUS Asian population and I have never had any objections from groups I join.

> @tips09 said:

> Yup that’s pretty much the standard situation every week for me as well. To the op I am also in Metro Vancouver and pretty much just call whatever course I want to play and most are good with putting you on the tee sheet with a two or three some that are already booked. Now prime time weekend slots are usually a problem with lots of foursomes booked but I haven’t had too many issues calling the courses directly day of and getting on as a single. To the op is there a specific course you are having issues with getting on? I know the online route for basically every course doesn’t give the single option but calling directly most seem to be open to slotting singles in.

>

I was refering specifically to RiverWay. I learned to golf there. The guy with the mullet is the worst human i have ever met and I work customer service. As far as I know Langara, Fraserview, McCleary, UBC, and Kings Links are the only courses that alow singles to book. PM me and we can golf together. I only golf as a single. Part of my frustration with the original post.

> @Argonne69 said:

> So why is that? Why would a course book a single with a phone call, and not online? All the major booking engines can be configured to allow a single to join a 2some or 3some. Is it not 2019? What's with this phone call cr-p?

>

I can shed light on this. I own a spa where you must book in advance. In today's culture there is no such thing as personal accountability. The less work it takes to book a service the more likely you are to no-show. This is factual in the service industry and not speculation. So, if your company charges for not showing you will lose that customer (ever been charged when your buddy Steve didn't show up for your foursome? Nope because you will take your bad business elsewhere. If your company requires a CC on file to book an appointment people are less likely to book. It's a sad fact. So, because booking online is people associate less value to the booking and are more likely to not show. By calling you are one step more invested in the booking. Maybe not you specifically @Argonne69 but on average this is true.

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

> @TheShaun said:

> I live in Vancouver and play 75% of my golf as a single on the weekends. I play all the local courses you listed above. The 3 parks board courses won't put you in as a single until the day of, yet I rarely have any trouble getting a time that works for me.

Agreed

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

In California (bay area) the courses I play are 50/50 on booking a single via website, but if I call them they will give me a reserved time (or tell me how full the sheet is, I love hearing ”if you come in the next hour you’ll have the course to yourself!”)

In Seattle when I played Chambers Bay I just called them the night before and asked what they had. They gave me a time that filled a 2some and another single.

Never thought singles would be standby-only somewhere.

> @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> In California (bay area) the courses I play are 50/50 on booking a single via website, but if I call them they will give me a reserved time (or tell me how full the sheet is, I love hearing ”if you come in the next hour you’ll have the course to yourself!”)

>

> In Seattle when I played Chambers Bay I just called them the night before and asked what they had. They gave me a time that filled a 2some and another single.

>

> Never thought singles would be standby-only somewhere.

Love your thread on working in Finland. Keep it up.

> @marmaduk said:

> To clarify for some of the previous discussion I was not talking about booking a single into a fully open spot. I would prefer to golf with people and our locals would never book a single into an open 4 spot. Also, the courses that do let me book only allow it THE DAY OF. I want to join a 2/3 some.

> In reference to Japanese golf culture. In Vancouver we have a HUMONGOUS Asian population and I have never had any objections from groups I join.

>

>

>

>

> > @tips09 said:

> > Yup that’s pretty much the standard situation every week for me as well. To the op I am also in Metro Vancouver and pretty much just call whatever course I want to play and most are good with putting you on the tee sheet with a two or three some that are already booked. Now prime time weekend slots are usually a problem with lots of foursomes booked but I haven’t had too many issues calling the courses directly day of and getting on as a single. To the op is there a specific course you are having issues with getting on? I know the online route for basically every course doesn’t give the single option but calling directly most seem to be open to slotting singles in.

> >

> I was refering specifically to RiverWay. I learned to golf there. The guy with the mullet is the worst human i have ever met and I work customer service. As far as I know Langara, Fraserview, McCleary, UBC, and Kings Links are the only courses that alow singles to book. PM me and we can golf together. I only golf as a single. Part of my frustration with the original post.

>

>

>

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > So why is that? Why would a course book a single with a phone call, and not online? All the major booking engines can be configured to allow a single to join a 2some or 3some. Is it not 2019? What's with this phone call cr-p?

> >

> I can shed light on this. I own a spa where you must book in advance. In today's culture there is no such thing as personal accountability. The less work it takes to book a service the more likely you are to no-show. This is factual in the service industry and not speculation. So, if your company charges for not showing you will lose that customer (ever been charged when your buddy Steve didn't show up for your foursome? Nope because you will take your bad business elsewhere. If your company requires a CC on file to book an appointment people are less likely to book. It's a sad fact. So, because booking online is people associate less value to the booking and are more likely to not show. By calling you are one step more invested in the booking. Maybe not you specifically @Argonne69 but on average this is true.

>

>

Most of the single golfers I know are the most dedicated players on the planet. I've booked close to 1000 rounds of single golf in the past 12 years, and haven't missed a tee time yet. I can't even begin to count the number of twosomes and threesomes I was supposed to join that didn't show up. Yet, I'm supposed to waste my time calling a course to demonstrate I'm worthy? Bah.

There are only 7 courses in the Chicago area that require a single to call to get a tee time. 85% of the courses will allow a single to book online. Don't you think that if single were a source of problems these 100+ courses would have ditched their policies years ago? That's not speculation. That seems like pretty hard evidence to me that allowing singles to book online has more positives than negatives.

• Like 1

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @marmaduk said:

> > To clarify for some of the previous discussion I was not talking about booking a single into a fully open spot. I would prefer to golf with people and our locals would never book a single into an open 4 spot. Also, the courses that do let me book only allow it THE DAY OF. I want to join a 2/3 some.

> > In reference to Japanese golf culture. In Vancouver we have a HUMONGOUS Asian population and I have never had any objections from groups I join.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > > @tips09 said:

> > > Yup that’s pretty much the standard situation every week for me as well. To the op I am also in Metro Vancouver and pretty much just call whatever course I want to play and most are good with putting you on the tee sheet with a two or three some that are already booked. Now prime time weekend slots are usually a problem with lots of foursomes booked but I haven’t had too many issues calling the courses directly day of and getting on as a single. To the op is there a specific course you are having issues with getting on? I know the online route for basically every course doesn’t give the single option but calling directly most seem to be open to slotting singles in.

> > >

> > I was refering specifically to RiverWay. I learned to golf there. The guy with the mullet is the worst human i have ever met and I work customer service. As far as I know Langara, Fraserview, McCleary, UBC, and Kings Links are the only courses that alow singles to book. PM me and we can golf together. I only golf as a single. Part of my frustration with the original post.

> >

> >

> >

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > So why is that? Why would a course book a single with a phone call, and not online? All the major booking engines can be configured to allow a single to join a 2some or 3some. Is it not 2019? What's with this phone call cr-p?

> > >

> > I can shed light on this. I own a spa where you must book in advance. In today's culture there is no such thing as personal accountability. The less work it takes to book a service the more likely you are to no-show. This is factual in the service industry and not speculation. So, if your company charges for not showing you will lose that customer (ever been charged when your buddy Steve didn't show up for your foursome? Nope because you will take your bad business elsewhere. If your company requires a CC on file to book an appointment people are less likely to book. It's a sad fact. So, because booking online is people associate less value to the booking and are more likely to not show. By calling you are one step more invested in the booking. Maybe not you specifically @Argonne69 but on average this is true.

> >

> >

>

> Most of the single golfers I know are the most dedicated players on the planet. I've booked close to 1000 rounds of single golf in the past 12 years, and haven't missed a tee time yet. I can't even begin to count the number of twosomes and threesomes I was supposed to join that didn't show up. Yet, I'm supposed to waste my time calling a course to demonstrate I'm worthy? Bah.

>

> There are only 7 courses in the Chicago area that require a single to call to get a tee time. 85% of the courses will allow a single to book online. Don't you think that if single were a source of problems these 100+ courses would have ditched their policies years ago? That's not speculation. That seems like pretty hard evidence to me that allowing singles to book online has more positives than negatives.

Yes! Totally agree.

I have never once missed a round of golf I booked in as a single. But I would guess well over a dozen times my round of golf was cancelled because an entire group of two or three didn’t show up for their booking.

> @marmaduk said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @marmaduk said:

> > > To clarify for some of the previous discussion I was not talking about booking a single into a fully open spot. I would prefer to golf with people and our locals would never book a single into an open 4 spot. Also, the courses that do let me book only allow it THE DAY OF. I want to join a 2/3 some.

> > > In reference to Japanese golf culture. In Vancouver we have a HUMONGOUS Asian population and I have never had any objections from groups I join.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > > @tips09 said:

> > > > Yup that’s pretty much the standard situation every week for me as well. To the op I am also in Metro Vancouver and pretty much just call whatever course I want to play and most are good with putting you on the tee sheet with a two or three some that are already booked. Now prime time weekend slots are usually a problem with lots of foursomes booked but I haven’t had too many issues calling the courses directly day of and getting on as a single. To the op is there a specific course you are having issues with getting on? I know the online route for basically every course doesn’t give the single option but calling directly most seem to be open to slotting singles in.

> > > >

> > > I was refering specifically to RiverWay. I learned to golf there. The guy with the mullet is the worst human i have ever met and I work customer service. As far as I know Langara, Fraserview, McCleary, UBC, and Kings Links are the only courses that alow singles to book. PM me and we can golf together. I only golf as a single. Part of my frustration with the original post.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > So why is that? Why would a course book a single with a phone call, and not online? All the major booking engines can be configured to allow a single to join a 2some or 3some. Is it not 2019? What's with this phone call cr-p?

> > > >

> > > I can shed light on this. I own a spa where you must book in advance. In today's culture there is no such thing as personal accountability. The less work it takes to book a service the more likely you are to no-show. This is factual in the service industry and not speculation. So, if your company charges for not showing you will lose that customer (ever been charged when your buddy Steve didn't show up for your foursome? Nope because you will take your bad business elsewhere. If your company requires a CC on file to book an appointment people are less likely to book. It's a sad fact. So, because booking online is people associate less value to the booking and are more likely to not show. By calling you are one step more invested in the booking. Maybe not you specifically @Argonne69 but on average this is true.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Most of the single golfers I know are the most dedicated players on the planet. I've booked close to 1000 rounds of single golf in the past 12 years, and haven't missed a tee time yet. I can't even begin to count the number of twosomes and threesomes I was supposed to join that didn't show up. Yet, I'm supposed to waste my time calling a course to demonstrate I'm worthy? Bah.

> >

> > There are only 7 courses in the Chicago area that require a single to call to get a tee time. 85% of the courses will allow a single to book online. Don't you think that if single were a source of problems these 100+ courses would have ditched their policies years ago? That's not speculation. That seems like pretty hard evidence to me that allowing singles to book online has more positives than negatives.

>

> Yes! Totally agree.

> I have never once missed a round of golf I booked in as a single. But I would guess well over a dozen times my round of golf was cancelled because an entire group of two or three didn’t show up for their booking.

I've never had a round canceled. Worst case I go out as a single mixed among the foursomes. Luckily this doesn't happen too often. When it does I try to have a word with the group ahead, letting them know that I won't be pushing them on the busy course. Since there's nowhere to go, I'll simply work on my chipping after I hole out.

I mostly play at a private country club so with rare exceptions if I reserve a tee time for myself they just give me the entire time slot. Of course I often join up if I run into someone I know but the assumption is, a member reserving a tee time "owns" the tee time even if playing solo. I've been a member there for years so there are a few people who the pro shop will book into my tee time without asking because they know it's guys I play with every chance I get.

Anyway...speaking of not showing up, I have always as a matter of course called if my plans change and tell them to take me off the tee sheet. Whether it's the day before or even if something comes up an hour before my tee time I'll still call. Our pro mentioned offhand recently how much he appreciates me doing that. I was like, "Doesn't everybody cancel if they can't come". He said there were only a handful of members like me who do that every time. He said, "It sure keeps things running smoother if we get a heads up before someone doesn't show".

So my point is, even among long-standing members of private clubs, the courtesy of which Argonne and Marmaduk speak may not be entirely universal! I mean geez, the club is only my speed-dial, our guys usually pick up on the second or third ring and it's literally a 10-second conversation at most.

Folks who don't call to cancel are probably the same self centered a-- hats that book a threesome, and then show up with a fourth player. Luckily it has only happened to me twice, but if you're going to book a threesome and bring an extra player to a course that is singles friendly, you might just want to call or check the online teesheet to see if there's an opening.

Not photoshopped - I just went to see how far ahead teetimes are open for me and my mates to get an early time in a couple weeks and this overlay pops up on the screen. This is Redwoods GC in the Vancouver suburbs:

ucs9ixjlatbu.png

That seems just a tad restrictive and knowing the course I cannot believe they are solely running through foursomes for 4 straight hours :-S

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I've played over 500 courses, and I've never once seen that policy. Good luck to them. Sounds like they don't want to be bothered with the duties of running a public golf course. I assume they also want the foursomes to bring a lawn mower and cut the fairways while they're out there.

> @Argonne69 said:

> I've played over 500 courses, and I've never once seen that policy. Good luck to them. Sounds like they don't want to be bothered with the duties of running a public golf course. I assume they also want the foursomes to bring a lawn mower and cut the fairways while they're out there.

>

That's it right. Heavy-handed much?

Oddly their booking engine is still 3-4 players per slot. Vancouver area courses are jammed on the weekends, but noway are they getting 4 hours straight of foursomes, unless that's their devious plan, lol, when all the others are full they'll still have slots for late-booking foursomes, muppets.

We'd be playing before 7am, if we do go there I'm going to ask them WTF is up with that.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @duffer987 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > I've played over 500 courses, and I've never once seen that policy. Good luck to them. Sounds like they don't want to be bothered with the duties of running a public golf course. I assume they also want the foursomes to bring a lawn mower and cut the fairways while they're out there.

> >

>

> That's it right. Heavy-handed much?

> Oddly their booking engine is still 3-4 players per slot. Vancouver area courses are jammed on the weekends, but noway are they getting 4 hours straight of foursomes, unless that's their devious plan, lol, when all the others are full they'll still have slots for late-booking foursomes, muppets.

> We'd be playing before 7am, if we do go there I'm going to ask them WTF is up with that.

I predict this will last a whole 2 weeks. So what happens when a dozen foursomes show up with 3 players and get kicked to the back of the line? The course could be fairly empty during the prime hours, read: no revenue. Now they have a log jam of groups that have been punted to the late morning. F that. You think that group is going to book again, knowing they run the risk of not teeing off in the mid morning if one member can't make it?

Of course the place could simply allow threesomes to book, and allow singles to book the remaining slots. Nah. Makes too much f*cking sense.

Now, to be fair, is it possible that a--munches were booking foursomes, knowing that they only had three players? Since the course doesn't particularly care for singles, the threesome would be fairly certain they could go out without a tag-along.

Denver you have some courses that will let you book as a single and other do not. So hit or miss.

Only once have I booked as single and had a problem though other then getting stuck with "That Group" =)

I booked a time at Tobacco Road...yes they don't let singles book unless you call and they fit you into existing 2 some's or 3 some's but the system did for some reason. I received an email later noting the system should not have let me book the time. They did honor it BUT reserved the right to move me if needed with notification. I show up to play and they moved me... roughly over an hour later..!! If you move someone over an HOUR... THAT should of be a notification. I was a little pee'd that I never got an email and they even noted they could not find one being sent. Got a free hat though LOL

_Edit: Don't get me wrong I can understand the math , its a business and they want the revenue so PACK it in and if singles take up a lot of slots it can get hard to fill properly. I did read somewhere it used to be 20+ years ago near half of tee time bookings was full 4 some's. Now a majority of bookings are 2 some's and singles._