8 Days in New York/Jersey - Golf Recommendations

shoot72

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely helps to know where you are going to be based but as a start here are some recommendations. I would remove Van Cortlandt from your list, its pretty underwhelming.

* Northern Jersey: Ballyowen, Wild Turkey, Rock Spring, Berkshire Valley, Neshanic Valley, Galloping Hill, Heron Glen, Royce Brook, Knoll West

* New York: Bethpage Black, Trump Ferry Point, Pound Ridge, Middle Bay, Bethpage Red, Harbor Links, Mansion Ridge.

Taylormade SIM2 Max | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2

Besides Ferry Point, I would stay away from the city courses. They are going to be very long rounds because they are overcrowded and the layouts and conditions are average at best. Split Rock is a nice layout but the bugs are intolerable in my opinion. Marine Park is a classic Robert Trent Jones design but would only consider going there if you get one of the first tee times.

Taylormade SIM2 Max | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2

> @shoot72 said:

> Does anyone have any good recommendations for the NY/NJ area? Looking to play 4 or 5 rounds and interested in both great value/underrated tracks and also anything I must play.

> Right now I am thinking:

> Bethpage Black

> Pound Ridge

> Vannys

> maybe Sagamore?

>

> Thanks!

Sagamore is over three hours away from NYC. If you are near NYC, must plays are Bethpage Black and Ferry Point. If you go to Bethpage and are playing more than one, I would make the Red pretty near a must-play. It's a great course.

Forget Vanny. It's really not very good. It plays off the history well but it's nothing special. If you want to play a gem in the rough in that area, try Split Rock. In NJ, depending on where you are, there is Ballyowen and Neshanic, and closer to NYC Galloping Hill is not at that level but a decent course.

Thanks for the help!

I'll be staying in Manhattan for most of the trip but am super mobile as the wife is there for work and I am there for golf and food.

I think I'll do both Bethpage Black and Red, and Pound Ridge for sure. Sounds like I should remove Vanny, appreciate the heads up.

Maybe I'll start with Ballyowen since I am flying into EWR and could stay in Jersey for the first night or two.

> @shoot72 said:

> Thanks for the help!

> I'll be staying in Manhattan for most of the trip but am super mobile as the wife is there for work and I am there for golf and food.

> I think I'll do both Bethpage Black and Red, and Pound Ridge for sure. Sounds like I should remove Vanny, appreciate the heads up.

> Maybe I'll start with Ballyowen since I am flying into EWR and could stay in Jersey for the first night or two.

Replace Pound Ridge with Ferry Point. It is an hour closer from Manhattan and a really great course. Unless you have some political reason you don’t want to play it.

Happy to give restaurant recommendations too ...

> @LPSISCO said:

> I would play Ballyowen over Ferry Point. I was underwhelmed by FP - the location in the city under the bridge is cool, but I just thought the holes were not at all memorable. They all blended together.

The course has tons of variety. Long par 4s and short par 4s. A great cape hole. Fairways that turn left and ones that turn right. Holes that play uphill and ones that play down. Great bunkering. Greens you can run the ball up and ones you need to fly. I think some people just see the dunes and miss the great details in the golf holes and strategy. And from Manhattan it would be nuts to go to Ballyowen instead of Ferry Point. One is 30 minutes away and the other is two hours.

Since I am flying into New Jersey and have at least a day or two before I have to be anywhere, I think I'll start the trip at Ballyowen. Then head to New York and definitely hit Bethpage Black and Red. If i had two more rounds and could get just about anywhere inside of 3 hours or so from Manhattan, what would be my best bets? Not sure the next time I am in New York so want to maximize the trip. Ferry Point is an option. Any others?

I'm interested in food suggestions if you've got some too!

> @shoot72 said:

> Since I am flying into New Jersey and have at least a day or two before I have to be anywhere, I think I'll start the trip at Ballyowen. Then head to New York and definitely hit Bethpage Black and Red. If i had two more rounds and could get just about anywhere inside of 3 hours or so from Manhattan, what would be my best bets? Not sure the next time I am in New York so want to maximize the trip. Ferry Point is an option. Any others?

> I'm interested in food suggestions if you've got some too!

I would make Ferry Point a definite. Three hours?- if you’re serious about that you may want to consider Montauk Downs. A Robert Trent Jones course on a great property and you’ll have a nice ride through the Hamptons to get there. Or Atlantic City Country Club in NJ. Terrific classic course with a good history that Tom Doak renovated and redesigned a few years ago.

What type of food and what part of Manhattan? For steak- Del Frisco’s or Sparks. Other NYC centric experiences- Balthazar, Tao Downtown, Morimoto. For more casual, smaller spots there are tons. Walk the East Village or Gramercy.

> @shoot72 said:

> Since I am flying into New Jersey and have at least a day or two before I have to be anywhere, I think I'll start the trip at Ballyowen. Then head to New York and definitely hit Bethpage Black and Red. If i had two more rounds and could get just about anywhere inside of 3 hours or so from Manhattan, what would be my best bets? Not sure the next time I am in New York so want to maximize the trip. Ferry Point is an option. Any others?

> I'm interested in food suggestions if you've got some too!

I think you would really enjoy Neshanic Valley and won't kill you distance wise (about an hour and change from NYC) and your wallet ($85).

My personal favorite meal is the porterhouse at Quality Meats 58th between 6th and 7th Ave. Phenomenal steak - and I have been to all the classics as far as Manhattan and Vegas steakhouses. Only one that even compares is Cut by Wolfgang Puck in the Palazzo out in Vegas.

> @"Wander Bread" said:

> > @shoot72 said:

> > Since I am flying into New Jersey and have at least a day or two before I have to be anywhere, I think I'll start the trip at Ballyowen. Then head to New York and definitely hit Bethpage Black and Red. If i had two more rounds and could get just about anywhere inside of 3 hours or so from Manhattan, what would be my best bets? Not sure the next time I am in New York so want to maximize the trip. Ferry Point is an option. Any others?

> > I'm interested in food suggestions if you've got some too!

>

> I think you would really enjoy Neshanic Valley and won't kill you distance wise (about an hour and change from NYC) and your wallet ($85).

> My personal favorite meal is the porterhouse at Quality Meats 58th between 6th and 7th Ave. Phenomenal steak - and I have been to all the classics as far as Manhattan and Vegas steakhouses. Only one that even compares is Cut by Wolfgang Puck in the Palazzo out in Vegas.

better porterhouse than luger(not in manhattan, i know but close enough)?

> @th6252 said:

> > @"Wander Bread" said:

> > > @shoot72 said:

> > > Since I am flying into New Jersey and have at least a day or two before I have to be anywhere, I think I'll start the trip at Ballyowen. Then head to New York and definitely hit Bethpage Black and Red. If i had two more rounds and could get just about anywhere inside of 3 hours or so from Manhattan, what would be my best bets? Not sure the next time I am in New York so want to maximize the trip. Ferry Point is an option. Any others?

> > > I'm interested in food suggestions if you've got some too!

> >

> > I think you would really enjoy Neshanic Valley and won't kill you distance wise (about an hour and change from NYC) and your wallet ($85).

> > My personal favorite meal is the porterhouse at Quality Meats 58th between 6th and 7th Ave. Phenomenal steak - and I have been to all the classics as far as Manhattan and Vegas steakhouses. Only one that even compares is Cut by Wolfgang Puck in the Palazzo out in Vegas.

> better porterhouse than luger(not in manhattan, i know but close enough)?

>

Luger's is overrated. Del Frisco's on 49th and 6th is superb but Quality Meats also very good.

> @"Wander Bread" said:

> > @shoot72 said:

> > Since I am flying into New Jersey and have at least a day or two before I have to be anywhere, I think I'll start the trip at Ballyowen. Then head to New York and definitely hit Bethpage Black and Red. If i had two more rounds and could get just about anywhere inside of 3 hours or so from Manhattan, what would be my best bets? Not sure the next time I am in New York so want to maximize the trip. Ferry Point is an option. Any others?

> > I'm interested in food suggestions if you've got some too!

>

> I think you would really enjoy Neshanic Valley and won't kill you distance wise (about an hour and change from NYC) and your wallet ($85).

> My personal favorite meal is the porterhouse at Quality Meats 58th between 6th and 7th Ave. Phenomenal steak - and I have been to all the classics as far as Manhattan and Vegas steakhouses. Only one that even compares is Cut by Wolfgang Puck in the Palazzo out in Vegas.

I 2nd Neshanic if you want something that isn't $150 (Weekend rate for non county residents I think is $80?) but still fairly challenging. Can't miss fairways on most holes with summer fescue and there aren't too many flat lies. Most of the par 5's are tough to reach in 2 or present you with a pretty high risk reward. Multiple ways to play all the par 4/5's with a couple 4's that are drivable, but will punish you heavily if you aren't right on or near the green.

I play there all the time and it's one of the nicest publics in the middle of Jersey.

Another that's close to EWR is Galloping Hill. Extremely hilly from tee to green, and when it's dry out, the greens can be brutal. Really tough par 3's, but the par 5's are a bit easier. Nice bar to eat at after.

> @shoot72 said:

If you are open and up for 36 holes for a day, Ballyowen and Wild Turkey are right next to each other. Then, you can spend your second day traveling to another area of NJ and play Neshanic Valley or Rock Spring. Obviously you could do the same for Bethpage Black and Red.

> @Redstorm2011 said:

> > @shoot72 said:

>

> If you are open and up for 36 holes for a day, Ballyowen and Wild Turkey are right next to each other. Then, you can spend your second day traveling to another area of NJ and play Neshanic Valley or Rock Spring. Obviously you could do the same for Bethpage Black and Red.

>

>

You have to plan your golf around Bethpage. You can't come to NY and want to play the top courses in the area and not play Bethpage. A key factor is whether you want to stay overnight at some places other than Manhattan, or if you are limited to day trips from Manhattan only.

Appreciate all the help!

For the NJ tracks - I think I'll try to hit Ballyowen and Neshanic as they aren't too far apart and I can play those the first two days before heading into Manhattan.

Then it looks like Bethpage Black and Red and Ferry Point. Might try to squeeze one more round somewhere if i can. Montauk Downs looks good. Are any of the other Bethpage courses worth a round?

> @shoot72 said:

> Appreciate all the help!

> For the NJ tracks - I think I'll try to hit Ballyowen and Neshanic as they aren't too far apart and I can play those the first two days before heading into Manhattan.

> Then it looks like Bethpage Black and Red and Ferry Point. Might try to squeeze one more round somewhere if i can. Montauk Downs looks good. Are any of the other Bethpage courses worth a round?

Bethpage Green and Blue are good courses but not near the level of the Red or Black, and not worth a special trip for. Montauk Downs is really good but a long trip from Manhattan. (You would drive right through the Shinnecock golf course to get there and probably have another 45 minutes until you get to Montauk Downs.) If you don't want to go that far to squeeze one more round in I would go with Rock Spring or Galloping Hill in NJ. Both are within 30 minutes of Manhattan.

Ballyowen, Neshanic, Bethpage Black, Red and Ferry Point is a solid lineup. Montauk is not a squeeze a round type of trip. I agree with Rock Spring and Galloping Hill in terms of proximity. I’d skip the other Bethpage tracks. Middle Bay in Oceanside is a nice track if you want to experience a classic layout with some nice holes along the water.

We’ll have to agree to disagree about Ferry Point. It’s cool because of where it is, but just not memorable to me or the 3 guys I played with, who are members at Trump Hudson Valley. And I love links courses - Kiawah is one of my favorite rounds ever. I’ve played Ballyowen and ACCC multiple times, and just played the New Course at Trump Bedminster again yesterday. All of them are much more exciting to me than Ferry Point, but YMMV. I wouldn’t pay to play it again.

I second the suggestion of Quality Meats, or Quality Italian (Italian steakhouse) around the corner. Milos is awesome, just bought a friend a gift certificate for dinner there yesterday. Nobu57 is close by too. Del Frisco’s is probably the best of the chain steakhouses. I don’t love Lugers - pain to get to, very good but not spectacular. I take customers out for dinner a lot, and the fact Lugers doesn’t take credit cards makes it a non-starter for me.

I’ve played Trump Hudson Valley. Terrific course. I would play Ferry Point over it 4 out of 5 times. Memorable greens all over the course. Set in dunes, multiple tiers, different shapes, slopes, great low cut runoff areas giving lots of shot options off the greens. Great bunkering. Memorable holes- 6th, uphill then down with centerline bunker playing adjacent to the cemetery. 7th- one of the best short cape holes you’ll play, over the pond and a potentially driveable green. 9th- great bunkering down the middle forcing a shot choice off the tee to a late dogleg left that lines right up with the Whitestone Bridge behind. 11- similar style to the 12th at St Andrews, a short par 4 with a minefield of fairway bunkers making you pick the right distance off the tee. 12- great short par 3 with an hourglass green and offset bunkering. 13- incredible view of the Manhattan skyline, a monster bunker 30 yards short of the green and a dune in the middle of the fairway and dunes edging in on the left for shot strategy. 15- great par 5 with an angled fairway right and great diagonal bunkering 80 yards short of the green. 16- long par 4 straight toward the East River with a speed slot on the left if you avoid the left fairway bunker, and marshland further right. 18- great par 5 playing along the East River with a narrowing fairway the closer toward the green an the green set behind water marshes on the left.

NY/NJ metro area does not have a lot of courses that are worth a long trip. As others have said **Bethpage Black and Bethpage Red** are the cream of the crop. **Ferry Point** is good but very expensive. **Ballyowen/Wild Turkey** is a decent 36 hole day but not something you would build a trip around if you weren't otherwise going to be in NY. **Neshanic, Architects and Royce Brook** are also decent choices in NJ.

***Atlantic City Country Club*** is an excellent classic era course that has been re-done by Tom Doak. It is a far drive from Manhattan but if the distance doesn't bother you, go for it

Courses that haven't been mentioned that should be considered:

* **the Knoll (West Course)** in Parsippany NJ. It's a muni that is in good shape and was designed by Charles Banks. It has many of the Raynor/McDonald /Banks templates such as a redaan and a short. It's a lot of fun and not too expensive.

* **Eisenhower Park (Red Course)** on Long Island not too far from Bethpage and was designed by Devereux Emmet, Both Eisenhower Red and Knoll West are classic era (1920's designs) that started out as upscale private courses that are now public and have been restored.

* **River Vale Country Club**, River Vale, NJ about 30 minutes north of Manhattan - Another classic era course that is now semi-private. The course is in amazing condition with extremely fast greens.

If I was visiting NYC and had 8 days to play and didn't have access to private clubs the above are the ones I'd play.

I have photos of most of these courses at this link (courses are listed alphabetically) [https://flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums](https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums "https://flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums")

> @th6252 said:

> > @"Wander Bread" said:

> > > @shoot72 said:

> > > Since I am flying into New Jersey and have at least a day or two before I have to be anywhere, I think I'll start the trip at Ballyowen. Then head to New York and definitely hit Bethpage Black and Red. If i had two more rounds and could get just about anywhere inside of 3 hours or so from Manhattan, what would be my best bets? Not sure the next time I am in New York so want to maximize the trip. Ferry Point is an option. Any others?

> > > I'm interested in food suggestions if you've got some too!

> >

> > I think you would really enjoy Neshanic Valley and won't kill you distance wise (about an hour and change from NYC) and your wallet ($85).

> > My personal favorite meal is the porterhouse at Quality Meats 58th between 6th and 7th Ave. Phenomenal steak - and I have been to all the classics as far as Manhattan and Vegas steakhouses. Only one that even compares is Cut by Wolfgang Puck in the Palazzo out in Vegas.

> better porterhouse than luger(not in manhattan, i know but close enough)?

>

No question in my opinion

> @sabram said:

> NY/NJ metro area does not have a lot of courses that are worth a long trip. As others have said **Bethpage Black and Bethpage Red** are the cream of the crop. **Ferry Point** is good but very expensive. **Ballyowen/Wild Turkey** is a decent 36 hole day but not something you would build a trip around if you weren't otherwise going to be in NY. **Neshanic, Architects and Royce Brook** are also decent choices in NJ.

> ***Atlantic City Country Club*** is an excellent classic era course that has been re-done by Tom Doak. It is a far drive from Manhattan but if the distance doesn't bother you, go for it

> Courses that haven't been mentioned that should be considered:

> * **the Knoll (West Course)** in Parsippany NJ. It's a muni that is in good shape and was designed by Charles Banks. It has many of the Raynor/McDonald /Banks templates such as a redaan and a short. It's a lot of fun and not too expensive.

> * **Eisenhower Park (Red Course)** on Long Island not too far from Bethpage and was designed by Devereux Emmet, Both Eisenhower Red and Knoll West are classic era (1920's designs) that started out as upscale private courses that are now public and have been restored.

> * **River Vale Country Club**, River Vale, NJ about 30 minutes north of Manhattan - Another classic era course that is now semi-private. The course is in amazing condition with extremely fast greens.

>

> If I was visiting NYC and had 8 days to play and didn't have access to private clubs the above are the ones I'd play.

>

> I have photos of most of these courses at this link (courses are listed alphabetically) [https://flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums](https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums "https://flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums")

I generally agree with all of the above. Especially Atlantic City Country Club, I really like that course. But don’t fully agree on Eisenhower Red. It’s a nice course but nothing beyond that. I would play Harbor Links or Lido over it. Or any Bethpage course.

> @shoot72 said:

> Appreciate all the help!

> For the NJ tracks - I think I'll try to hit Ballyowen and Neshanic as they aren't too far apart and I can play those the first two days before heading into Manhattan.

> Then it looks like Bethpage Black and Red and Ferry Point. Might try to squeeze one more round somewhere if i can. Montauk Downs looks good. Are any of the other Bethpage courses worth a round?

Montauk is not a realistic day-trip option in your situation. The only way to make it work would be to stay overnight out there or somewhere on eastern LI. In that case, you could play another LI course on your way back west toward the city.

As the poster above suggested, I'd also recommend Harbor Links if you're looking for another round on LI. It's close to Manhattan and has the look and feel of a travel-worthy course.

> @th6252 said:

> agreed on luger, but then again i'm not really a porterhouse guy...more of a bone-in rib steak guy which is why my fav is old homestead in the meatpacking district.

Ever had the Cowboy Ribeye at Smith & Wollensky's? Personal favorite of Warren Buffett - a little fatty for me but if you like ribeyes you would enjoy it.

OP - let us know what you end up doing in terms of golf and food and enjoy your trip. Can't recommend Neshanic enough for the price.