I-500s; after using them for a while, anybody else loathe them ?

jwb10

Haven't hit so take fwiw but the club looks scary to me. Scary as in hard to it. Reminds me of the first generation Callaway hybrid utility irons. Where the tungsten weight was right in the middle of the sole. Miss sweet spot fraction left or right and it would veer off wildly.

• Like 1

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

> @torbill said:

>

> Who is this club for, anyway? I do think that this question gets to the heart of the mystery and controversy.

>

> I know who this club is for. It is for me. I am old. I am a low handicap player. I hit my irons pretty much on the nose. I am losing distance. This club makes me feel young again. I grew up with muscle-back, forged clubs and loved the clean look, and never got real comfortable with the look of bulk and offset. I think that jwb is right in his characterization of who this club is for - player's distance iron.

>

> The criticism of low spin is unfair. I published in this thread a link to spin data. It shows that, yes, this club spins less than some of Ping’s other offerings. But it is modestly less. Not “low spin”. I know that this data is reasonably good because I came from the iBlades, and this is the sort of percent difference I experienced on a monitor.

>

> These hollow irons allow the manufacturer to do things with the face that they can’t do with solid metal. Ping claims greater dynamic loft, and anybody who has ever hit an i500 has to be a believer. In spite of aggressive lofts, these things launch up toward the stars.

>

> I have read enough of Bladehunter’s posts over time to know that he is an exceedingly serious player who knows what he is talking about. I respect his experience and opinion. It was a bit of a mystery to me why he moved on from the i500 and why I continue to think that these clubs are amazing. Aside from different skill levels, the answer may lie in his hard playing conditions versus the soft conditions that I experience year round.

>

Nail on the head. For me it was simply the wide sole. If I played say in the Midwest or seattle all year. I’d still be playing them. But summers in upstate SC are played off concrete hard red clay based turf.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I was a Ping guy for 30 years and the 500's were so bad for me, that I switched everything to Callaway and never looked back.

I love Ping as a company, but the 500's broke my wallet and spirit.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10.5, Ventus Red 60
TM 16.5 HL Wood,  Fuji Red TR 70
TM 7 wood,  Fuji Red TR 70

Ping G430  Hybrid # 22
PXG Gen 6 XP irons 5-GW with MMT 95 shafts

TM M4 54 & 58 Wedges

Odyssey Versa M5  Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Have had i500 a few times and a few times sold. Now have G 700 and thinking of a combo in the 7-U wedge. Looks like stated loft of G and i is only 1° weaker in the I series. Should I just stay with the G or move into a combo. BTW, I've been on a combo binge of sorts lately with Mizuno, Ping, Srixon and PXG. Just thinking of tinkering some more is all.

Not naming any names, but after reading this whole thread, i see a bunch of previous 500 owners who were raving about them months ago in different threads. Fast forward a few months, you see their opinions changed...., WITB changed,... looking at Mizuno's.... Went from these are soooo easy to hit, to you gotta hit the dimesized center.

Its like they're all drunk now, cause the truth is coming out.

• Like 1
TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

> @bunta said:

> Not naming any names, but after reading this whole thread, i see a bunch of previous 500 owners who were raving about them months ago in different threads. Fast forward a few months, you see their opinions changed...., WITB changed,... looking at Mizuno's.... Went from these are soooo easy to hit, to you gotta hit the dimesized center.

>

>

> Its like they're all drunk now, cause the truth is coming out.

i like mine more than I did 5 months ago. shrug. doesn't say anything about the clubs either way IMO. play what works for you.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max LS
Callaway Epic Flash 3W
Callaway X-Forged '18 UT 18 degree
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 50, 54, 58

Bettinardi BB1F

> @bunta said:

> i played them briefly. and yes, i now loathe them.

After you play the J15 CBs you will loathe everything after them...

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10° - Diamana R Series 60

Cobra Rad 14.5° - Diamana BlueForce 70

Cobra F9 18.5° - Diamana BlueForce 80
Taylormade P790 (4-9) - Nippon Modus 105
Vokey 46F 50F 54S 58T - Nippon Modus 115
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 

> @bunta said:

> Not naming any names, but after reading this whole thread, i see a bunch of previous 500 owners who were raving about them months ago in different threads. Fast forward a few months, you see their opinions changed...., WITB changed,... looking at Mizuno's.... Went from these are soooo easy to hit, to you gotta hit the dimesized center.

>

>

> Its like they're all drunk now, cause the truth is coming out.

LOL, good observation. I don't know if I'm in this group, but I definitely fell in love with them and ordered without doing my due diligence. Having played only Ping irons since 1982, I knew my specs and probably expected too much. It was a feel thing and that is personal. The reason I started the thread was to see how others were getting along with the 500s. Many had similar issues, some had none. (I was surprised when some of the people who loved them got hostile, but, hey, it's the internet) I finally bit the bullet and got the I-210s, and they're great. So, I still loathe the 500s, lost some cash, but learned, again, hit'em before you buy'em !!

I recently sold mine not because I did not like them, but because I got a deal on some 0211's I couldn't pass up. Being a club ho, I rarely have clubs last more then a year. And, I'm fully aware that my scores don't change much, if any, between all the sets I've owned. I just like to tinker! I would have no problem gaming the i500's again if I found a great deal in my specs.

> @torbill said:

> > @gvogel said:

> > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > Will be interesting to see what (if anything) Ping decides to do about a second generation i500.

> >

> > I would be interested in a second generation if it had a little more offset and could fit in with G410's, or i210's. At the moment, it seems iblade users are using an i500 for their longest iron.

>

> More offset? Yuck. This is a club for people who prefer the classic look of a blade. Ping makes the 400 and 700 series for people who don't mind the look of offset, thick top lines, large head size, wide soles and the like.

>

> I have been playing the i500 for 8 months. I love them. Any dispersion problems that I have experienced lie with the golfer, not the club.

>

> I am a low handicap player who grew up with the clean look of true, muscle-back blades (that loosened dental filings on off-center hits). Then I got old. It happens. I hate the look of game improvement clubs. The i500 is a club that suits my eye, is very easy to hit, that goes 10+ yards further. I am not a long hitter anymore, but I can easily hit this 7-iron 170 yards, and high, and the ball stops. I have no problem with sound or feel. I play graphite shafts. Hit them With a square club face and they sound and feel fine.

>

> The i500 is my favorite iron ever, and I have owned my share of irons.

>

>

Which Graphite shaft did you go with? I've heard that this head favors a graphite shaft.

> @Golfdoctor said:

> > @torbill said:

> > > @gvogel said:

> > > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > Will be interesting to see what (if anything) Ping decides to do about a second generation i500.

> > >

> > > I would be interested in a second generation if it had a little more offset and could fit in with G410's, or i210's. At the moment, it seems iblade users are using an i500 for their longest iron.

> >

> > More offset? Yuck. This is a club for people who prefer the classic look of a blade. Ping makes the 400 and 700 series for people who don't mind the look of offset, thick top lines, large head size, wide soles and the like.

> >

> > I have been playing the i500 for 8 months. I love them. Any dispersion problems that I have experienced lie with the golfer, not the club.

> >

> > I am a low handicap player who grew up with the clean look of true, muscle-back blades (that loosened dental filings on off-center hits). Then I got old. It happens. I hate the look of game improvement clubs. The i500 is a club that suits my eye, is very easy to hit, that goes 10+ yards further. I am not a long hitter anymore, but I can easily hit this 7-iron 170 yards, and high, and the ball stops. I have no problem with sound or feel. I play graphite shafts. Hit them With a square club face and they sound and feel fine.

> >

> > The i500 is my favorite iron ever, and I have owned my share of irons.

> >

> >

> Which Graphite shaft did you go with? I've heard that this head favors a graphite shaft.

>

>

Mine are the standard Alta CB regular flex, +1/2”. This is the first set of irons that I played with graphite shafts.

I hit the demo iron with a steel shaft and liked it. The reasons that I went with graphite are because I want the lightest swing weight possible and because I thought that it would be good insurance for my 75 year old joints.

These irons came out at D0 despite the longer length, which I like a lot. I don’t have any joint problems, or tendinitis, or the like (thank you J. Ballard swing method), so I don’t think that I actually need graphite at this time.

This is a great performing iron in either shaft material. My suggestion is that you just go with the shaft that you prefer for your own reasons - which is what I did, basically. I don't get the idea that this head favors graphite. Can you elaborate?

I always said you have to hit center, they are players clubs. Still have, still love. Swing sucks right now, and still crushing them. Left. And then further left. Will not be going back to S55 although I've taken a couple long irons out to fix my godawful swing, using the smaller size to focus a little. I'll be back down soon enough, got down to

a 2.8 with these, now at 5. Shot my best rounds with these in the bag from 2 different tees on my home course, won a couple tourney's/league rounds, and some cash...now shittsville. But I'll be keeping them. User interface error, clubs are wonderful.

I did nuke the crap out of a 8 iron the other day. Wind behind me and it was a hella flyer. I hit up.on it like a driver, high and dead center in the face...far. Too far. But I'll still keep them. And they still look sweet. Had em for a year now. Dang. 100+ rounds. They are $$.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

> @WarEagleGolf said:

> I always said you have to hit center, they are players clubs. Still have, still love. Swing sucks right now, and still crushing them. Left. And then further left. Will not be going back to S55 although I've taken a couple long irons out to fix my godawful swing, using the smaller size to focus a little. I'll be back down soon enough, got down to

> a 2.8 with these, now at 5. Shot my best rounds with these in the bag from 2 different tees on my home course, won a couple tourney's/league rounds, and some cash...now shittsville. But I'll be keeping them. User interface error, clubs are wonderful.

>

> I did nuke the crap out of a 8 iron the other day. Wind behind me and it was a hella flyer. I hit up.on it like a driver, high and dead center in the face...far. Too far. But I'll still keep them. And they still look sweet. Had em for a year now. Dang. 100+ rounds. They are $$.

Yep, players club, mostly. Hit ‘em on the nose - rock solid, high, long. At the bottom I think that this is the main reason for much of the hate - it isn’t about the club, it’s about some players not hitting the center of the club often enough to appreciate the performance. It’s the only explanation that I can think of, because these things perform if you hit ‘em. And even at that, mis-hits still go good, as you say, way more forgiving than traditional blades.

I'm a huge Ping fan, but the i500 is the most overrated iron to come out in a long time. People saw the good looks and jumped on them immediately. Many quickly discovered how hard they felt and how unforgiving they were.

• Like 1
PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-)
PING G430 hybrid 22°, 26° (F-)
Irons tbd
PING s159 53W, 58B
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour yellow

> @Konklifer said:

> I'm a huge Ping fan, but the i500 is the most overrated iron to come out in a long time. People saw the good looks and jumped on them immediately. Many quickly discovered how hard they felt and how unforgiving they were.

Boy to me they're just as forgiving as my G25s I played for years and years.

I basically thought they're a better looking GI iron with minimal offset that allows me to somewhat move the ball. I still really enjoy mine.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

> @Konklifer said:

> I'm a huge Ping fan, but the i500 is the most overrated iron to come out in a long time. People saw the good looks and jumped on them immediately. Many quickly discovered how hard they felt and how unforgiving they were.

Agreed. And the argument that you need to hit them on the button rings hollow. Hit them on the button, off the button, near the button and they feel the same, hollow and tinny. If you happen to get a good one, it's a surprise. They are not like any other Ping iron, and that's too bad.

> @Konklifer said:

Mine don’t feel hard... maybe because I have some special injected speed foam in mine, and they are decently forgiving.

> @Rippin6Gears said:

> > @Konklifer said:

> > I'm a huge Ping fan, but the i500 is the most overrated iron to come out in a long time. People saw the good looks and jumped on them immediately. Many quickly discovered how hard they felt and how unforgiving they were.

>

> Mine don’t feel hard... maybe because I have some special injected speed foam in mine, and they are decently forgiving.

Foam, how and by whom ?

I liked them when I got them and I definitely still like them, especially the short irons. The looks are great. My only issue has been the 7 iron. Generally it goes 172. But I've learned to never try to get an extra couple of yards out of it because when I do it will go 185.

IMO the i500 problem is Ping doesn't really have an audience for these, or at least the audience is limited. And I bet they expected them to be for a huge audience.

These are not for mid handicappers. They are for fairly good ball strikers. The forgiveness may be there, but the feel isn't on mishits. A miss sounds and feels horrid. So only those that hit the sweet spot need apply. Now how many 5 handicaps and better are willing to give up real blades, real forgings, smaller soles, and the feel/workability of those to get an extra few yards of distance. That audience is really really small.

• Like 1

With an10 index, I may or may not be a “good” ball striker, but these stay in the bag. Perhaps my semi-steep angle of attack plays a part in that. For me there’s no “loath”, only affection for the high penetrating flight and soft landings when desired. I had challenges for a period with these during our cold, wet winter and ball experimentation, but they stay now. So much so that Sunday night after a 2 day tournament I turned down a set of Z765’s for $150. Not much more to say about confidence in the i500’s.

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

> @"Oliver Klozoff" said:

> I liked them when I got them and I definitely still like them, especially the short irons. The looks are great. My only issue has been the 7 iron. Generally it goes 172. But I've learned to never try to get an extra couple of yards out of it because when I do it will go 185.

>

> IMO the i500 problem is Ping doesn't really have an audience for these, or at least the audience is limited. And I bet they expected them to be for a huge audience.

>

> These are not for mid handicappers. They are for fairly good ball strikers. The forgiveness may be there, but the feel isn't on mishits. A miss sounds and feels horrid. So only those that hit the sweet spot need apply. Now how many 5 handicaps and better are willing to give up real blades, real forgings, smaller soles, and the feel/workability of those to get an extra few yards of distance. That audience is really really small.

none, for these clankers. My first set of Golden Bears, bought in a dept.store, had more feel, in 1975 !

Still loving mine and have no plans to change unless an i500 2.0 comes along. Had them for a year now and I’m getting some browning. Since this is wrx I’ve owned countless iron sets over the years. Never had anything long enough to get browning.

Yes they are not the best feeling/sounding on miss hits. But neither were the 712cb, apex pro, 765 etc etc. The i500 retains ball speed very well on my miss which is low toe. Those shots feel like hot garbage but the ball will wind up close to where I had intended. When I do catch it though it feels and sounds just like any other club but the i500 goes a mile in the air and stops on a dime for me.

Never had issues with distance. I’ve repeated this on these boards before but distance control is perfect. GW is 125, PW goes to 140 then it gets fun. I can hit 6-9 iron anywhere within a 20-30 yd gap. Ex I can hit the 6 180 if I want or 210 if I want. I don’t know why and never had an iron set I could do that with. I’ve hit the 4 iron 260 off an elevated tee.

Driver is the worst part of my game (accuracy wise) so on tight holes I just need my second shot to be at least 190 out and have full confidence I’m getting on and in good shape. That 190 could be a 5, 6 or 7 iron depending on conditions and my swing that day. Whichever iron I choose to hit I know it’s gonna go 190. It’s incredible really and why I’m not giving these up.

Previous set was i200 and I had i500 created to same specs. I200 was marginally more forgiving to me and I played those for 10 months. Solid clubs but I can’t hit thicker soles long irons for some reason. For me i500 beat them in everything except sound/feel on miss hits.

> @blazman11 said:

> Still loving mine and have no plans to change unless an i500 2.0 comes along. Had them for a year now and I’m getting some browning. Since this is wrx I’ve owned countless iron sets over the years. Never had anything long enough to get browning.

>

> Yes they are not the best feeling/sounding on miss hits. But neither were the 712cb, apex pro, 765 etc etc. The i500 retains ball speed very well on my miss which is low toe. Those shots feel like hot garbage but the ball will wind up close to where I had intended. When I do catch it though it feels and sounds just like any other club but the i500 goes a mile in the air and stops on a dime for me.

>

> Never had issues with distance. I’ve repeated this on these boards before but distance control is perfect. GW is 125, PW goes to 140 then it gets fun. I can hit 6-9 iron anywhere within a 20-30 yd gap. Ex I can hit the 6 180 if I want or 210 if I want. I don’t know why and never had an iron set I could do that with. I’ve hit the 4 iron 260 off an elevated tee.

>

> Driver is the worst part of my game (accuracy wise) so on tight holes I just need my second shot to be at least 190 out and have full confidence I’m getting on and in good shape. That 190 could be a 5, 6 or 7 iron depending on conditions and my swing that day. Whichever iron I choose to hit I know it’s gonna go 190. It’s incredible really and why I’m not giving these up.

>

> Previous set was i200 and I had i500 created to same specs. I200 was marginally more forgiving to me and I played those for 10 months. Solid clubs but I can’t hit thicker soles long irons for some reason. For me i500 beat them in everything except sound/feel on miss hits.

210 ; 6 iron ??? 190; 5, 6, 7; sounds frustrating ? Browning ?? Browning ?? Come on, what would that be and show us photos