2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Do OEMS even care anymore about getting "specs" correct anymore?

Wardonation

It has become a total joke IMO. Pick any of the OEMS, shoot even Ping and Titleist have messed up my orders recently. Forget about trying to get swing weight correct, you have lofts and lies all over the place as well as crooked grips put on all the time. I can go "on and on" but the reality I have come to expect it and it is total bummer.

PING G430 Max 8 degree (digitally lofted) TR Blue 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D4 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

I just rebuilt a set of TM P760s for someone and the stock specs were way off. Clubs were ordered bone stock through TM. Swingweights were all over the map with with a mix of D2, D3 and D4 - the 9 iron was C9. Lengths were off as well - some were 1/4" short and some were 1/8" short. I haven't checked loft and lie angles yet.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

The only times I buy anything new, I order forged with grips left off, and make sure there is a beforehand arrangement with the store that they will do a loft/lie check and grip in house once they arrive. I also buy some lead tape.

• Like 1

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

I would say major offenders are TM, CALLY, PXG, MIZUNO, TITLEIST & PING

PING G430 Max 8 degree (digitally lofted) TR Blue 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D4 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

> @MadGolfer76 said:

> The only times I buy anything new, I order forged with grips left off, and make sure there is a beforehand arrangement with the store that they will do a loft/lie check and grip in house once they arrive. I also buy some lead tape.

-Thats the only way to do it, unless you can build clubs yourself, and to be sure, order them 2/8" longer than you need then in case they mess up and cut them to short.

But...they will always be off a little, and we cant expect SW values to be right when they dont even cut them to the correct play lengths or if loft and lie is all over the place, so to be able to judge SW value, the other parameters must be set right first...and they might still be off or even worse when that is done.

My last OEM set was 2005 X-Tour Callaways, and a FTI driver the year after (the ugly one), but all clubs after that is clubs ive made myself so i will not even consider OEMs unless its a project to be re-done where i dont have to worry about how they put it together.

Thats why i do my best to help others in tech questions, i want more players to be able to help them self, and club making as a profession is about to die out, its not enough money in it before we are "over and beyond" what most of us would pay for it, so in the near future, you will either have to accept "tolerances" they DONT tell, or be able to fix it yourself.

• Like 1

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

> @Wardonation said:

> I would say major offenders are TM, CALLY, PXG, MIZUNO, TITLEIST & PING

Ping used to be the one company I always felt good about. But lately it’s been a crap shoot. Wrong color for lie angles on orders. I ordered a Tensei Org 70 Stiff in my G410 3 wood and got 60 Reg.

I don’t want to even get started on PXG and their bore consistency.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

> @"Howard Jones" said:

> > @MadGolfer76 said:

> > The only times I buy anything new, I order forged with grips left off, and make sure there is a beforehand arrangement with the store that they will do a loft/lie check and grip in house once they arrive. I also buy some lead tape.

>

> -Thats the only way to do it, unless you can build clubs yourself, and to be sure, order them 2/8" longer than you need then in case they mess up and cut them to short.

>

> But...they will always be off a little, and we cant expect SW values to be right when they dont even cut them to the correct play lengths or if loft and lie is all over the place, so to be able to judge SW value, the other parameters must be set right first...and they might still be off or even worse when that is done.

>

> My last OEM set was 2005 X-Tour Callaways, and a FTI driver the year after (the ugly one), but all clubs after that is clubs ive made myself so i will not even consider OEMs unless its a project to be re-done where i dont have to worry about how they put it together.

>

> Thats why i do my best to help others in tech questions, i want more players to be able to help them self, and club making as a profession is about to die out, its not enough money in it before we are "over and beyond" what most of us would pay for it, so in the near future, you will either have to accept "tolerances" they DONT tell, or be able to fix it yourself.

I usually go 1/4” over as I find 2/8” is too long

• Like 3

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

I don’t know how anyone could put on a grip and not line it up themselves. I don’t want my grips straight...I want them how I like them. Straight to me is hooked to someone else...and 90% of the time a grip from a oem will be several degrees open.

As far as specs from the oems...yes it’s getting worse all the time. I’ve tore a lot of shafts out of heads in my life and never seen more tip weights than I have the past few years. The head weights are all over the place as are loft and lies.

I’ve always been this way but even more so now...I take each club as it’s own. I check the lofts and get them where I want them and I check lie angle club by club and get each one right. It may not end up .5* gaps either

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

I’m happy to pay the extra money to have my clubs built by Ben @ The Tour Van. He worked on Tour for Nike and is a perfectionist.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

> @toc said:

> > @"Howard Jones" said:

> > > @MadGolfer76 said:

> > > The only times I buy anything new, I order forged with grips left off, and make sure there is a beforehand arrangement with the store that they will do a loft/lie check and grip in house once they arrive. I also buy some lead tape.

> >

> > -Thats the only way to do it, unless you can build clubs yourself, and to be sure, order them 2/8" longer than you need then in case they mess up and cut them to short.

> >

> > But...they will always be off a little, and we cant expect SW values to be right when they dont even cut them to the correct play lengths or if loft and lie is all over the place, so to be able to judge SW value, the other parameters must be set right first...and they might still be off or even worse when that is done.

> >

> > My last OEM set was 2005 X-Tour Callaways, and a FTI driver the year after (the ugly one), but all clubs after that is clubs ive made myself so i will not even consider OEMs unless its a project to be re-done where i dont have to worry about how they put it together.

> >

> > Thats why i do my best to help others in tech questions, i want more players to be able to help them self, and club making as a profession is about to die out, its not enough money in it before we are "over and beyond" what most of us would pay for it, so in the near future, you will either have to accept "tolerances" they DONT tell, or be able to fix it yourself.

>

> I usually go 1/4” over as I find 2/8” is too long

>

On my ruler, 1/4" and 2/8" is the same, so how can it be any different on yours?

• Like 1

I recently ordered a set of Wilson c300 forged. I checked length, SW, lies and lofts on all 8. Length and loft were spot on. Lies were +/- 0.5deg. Variance for SW was +/- 1pt. I ended up rebuilding them as I couldn't order them with my preferred shafts, only 1 was built with a tip weight.

Considering this retails for au$100/club less than AP2/919 forged etc, I was mightily impressed.

> @Wardonation said:

> I would say major offenders are TM, CALLY, PXG, MIZUNO, TITLEIST & PING

Clearly you've never ordered irons direct from Srixon. When I got my Z785s last year, my .25" short order arrived up to 1/2" longer than standard on 4/6 clubs, the lie angles were off, and three of the clubs had lofts 2 degrees stronger than standard spec.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

> @GooseHook said:

>

> > @Wardonation said:

> > I would say major offenders are TM, CALLY, PXG, MIZUNO, TITLEIST & PING

>

> Clearly you've never ordered irons direct from Srixon. When I got my Z785s last year, my .25" short order arrived up to 1/2" longer than standard on 4/6 clubs, the lie angles were off, and three of the clubs had lofts 2 degrees stronger than standard spec.

Does Srixon assemble their clubs in Japan , China or another place ?

Mizuno used to be rather good, but after they started assemble for Europe in Ireland....we can no longer look at them as "a Quality product from Japan", it still designed there, but destroyed in Ireland.

> @"Howard Jones" said:

> > @GooseHook said:

> >

> > > @Wardonation said:

> > > I would say major offenders are TM, CALLY, PXG, MIZUNO, TITLEIST & PING

> >

> > Clearly you've never ordered irons direct from Srixon. When I got my Z785s last year, my .25" short order arrived up to 1/2" longer than standard on 4/6 clubs, the lie angles were off, and three of the clubs had lofts 2 degrees stronger than standard spec.

>

> Does Srixon assemble their clubs in Japan , China or another place ?

> Mizuno used to be rather good, but after they started assemble for Europe in Ireland....we can no longer look at them as "a Quality product from Japan", it still designed there, but destroyed in Ireland.

As far as I know, if you order in the US Srixon assembles in California.

Mizuno USA assembles in Georgia, I have had good experiences with them but haven't ordered in several years.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

TM & Cally probably go toe to toe for the worst in this category, I've seem some horrible loft/lie configs from them on new stock. Stuff ships straight from China and they do next to no tolerance checks that we would rely on.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

> @TheInfidel said:

> TM & Cally probably go toe to toe for the worst in this category, I've seem some horrible loft/lie configs from them on new stock. Stuff ships straight from China and they do next to no tolerance checks that we would rely on.

Callaway Customs has been great for me when ordering and pretty much on spec. Overall though, TM and Cally sell the most hence they have the largest volume of clubs offspec. Srixon is another company that' ive had a lot of success with in terms of head weights (irons).

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

> @J13 said:

> > @TheInfidel said:

> > TM & Cally probably go toe to toe for the worst in this category, I've seem some horrible loft/lie configs from them on new stock. Stuff ships straight from China and they do next to no tolerance checks that we would rely on.

>

> Callaway Customs has been great for me when ordering and pretty much on spec. Overall though, TM and Cally sell the most hence they have the largest volume of clubs offspec. Srixon is another company that' ive had a lot of success with in terms of head weights (irons).

Yeah I think that's a fair point given the overall volumes of production. Those two OEMs also make the most $$$ from consumers so it's maybe unfair that they run with high crazy high tolerance levels

> @TheInfidel said:

> > @J13 said:

> > > @TheInfidel said:

> > > TM & Cally probably go toe to toe for the worst in this category, I've seem some horrible loft/lie configs from them on new stock. Stuff ships straight from China and they do next to no tolerance checks that we would rely on.

> >

> > Callaway Customs has been great for me when ordering and pretty much on spec. Overall though, TM and Cally sell the most hence they have the largest volume of clubs offspec. Srixon is another company that' ive had a lot of success with in terms of head weights (irons).

>

> Yeah I think that's a fair point given the overall volumes of production. Those two OEMs also make the most $$$ from consumers so it's maybe unfair that they run with high crazy high tolerance levels

Yeah, problem you run into with club assembly is it's not a high paying position. We are talking about $10/hr type stuff. Hard to find people who buy in at that level let alone care if an iron is 1.5* off.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I have been discussing golf online for almost as long as I've been playing golf. Call it 25 years, dating back to "newgroups" before the Web was even a thing anyone had heard of.

And in all that time, an absolutely perennial topic is how this or that manufacturer (or all of 'em) can't even come close to meeting either their stated specifications or the specifications that they don't state but which someone out there considered "standard".

I suspect OEM's care exactly as much about "meeting specs" today as they did while Tiger Woods was still in short pants.

> @TheInfidel said:

> TM & Cally probably go toe to toe for the worst in this category, I've seem some horrible loft/lie configs from them on new stock. Stuff ships straight from China and they do next to no tolerance checks that we would rely on.

the most extreme ive seen was a Cobra iron. Sole number and head weight was #6, loft was #9....no wonder they launched "a bit too high"..

When your clubs arrive, look at the _country of origin_ tag: the tag identifies the source of head / shaft / assembly. For long clubs, wedges and putters, each club has its own tag. For matched sets of irons, one of the shafts will bear the tag.

I don't know if tracking country of assembly would reveal any quality-control patterns or not.

I took some notes in 2018 on the tags on the rack from TaylorMade M2 models:

* Hybrids... H3, H4, H5.. R-flex ReAx 65-gram shaft: Head China, / Shaft China / Assembly Mexico.

* Fairway Woods with Reax shafts (R = 55 grams / S = 65 grams)

+ 3W and 5W, R-flex: Head Taiwan / Shaft China / Assembly Taiwan

+ 3W, S-flex: China / China / China

+ 5W, S-flex: Head China / Shaft China / Assembly Mexico

Side notes:

* Taiwan and mainland China both have quality foundries for clubheads. But, Beijing gets upset if third nations count Taiwan as a separate country.

* Mexico had reentered golf club assembly in the last few years. Mexico go knocked out of assembly circa 2002 because Chinese labor was cheaper during that time. After a decade, Callaway started moving some assembly back to Mexico. [https://montereyherald.com/2010/07/29/callaway-golf-moving-assembly-work-to-monterrey-mexico-2/](https://www.montereyherald.com/2010/07/29/callaway-golf-moving-assembly-work-to-monterrey-mexico-2/ "https://montereyherald.com/2010/07/29/callaway-golf-moving-assembly-work-to-monterrey-mexico-2/")

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> @"Howard Jones" said:

> > @TheInfidel said:

> > TM & Cally probably go toe to toe for the worst in this category, I've seem some horrible loft/lie configs from them on new stock. Stuff ships straight from China and they do next to no tolerance checks that we would rely on.

>

> the most extreme ive seen was a Cobra iron. Sole number and head weight was #6, loft was #9....no wonder they launched "a bit too high"..

>

Ok that takes the Win. I've never seen anything that bad!

Three questions and answers.

Q: Do clubs get shipped that are plain old built wrong and nowhere near spec?

A: Sure, happens more often with some brands than others but no mass-produced clubs are going to be perfect or even close to perfect every time.

Q: Is it possible to order a "custom" set of clubs in which every spec is correct to the nearest 0.25 degree or 0.10 inch or 0.5 points of swingweight?

A: It might happen by random chance once in a blue moon but no, mass-produced club specs vary by a degree here, quarter inch there, point or so of SW almost every time.

Q: Is this because OEM's "no longer care" about meeting specs?

A: No, it's because a small portion of golfers have convinced themselves that they can feel a fraction of a point of swingweight or that a half a degree of lie angle will make them hook or slice. That's not "meeting specs" that's just expecting some idealized notion of perfection.