Pawleys Island area courses in July

Headed to the area for the 4th of July weekend and looking for a place to play. Only have time for 1 round so trying to decide on a course to play that weekend. I have played Pawley's Plantation a few years back so want to try a new place. Have looked around and Caledonia seems like the best bet or True Blue but what else? Worth the drive up to a Barefoot course instead?

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

Caledonia, True Blue or Heritage. Heritage is a real bargain if the green fee matters to you. Wildwing, Arrowhead and Thistle are not in the same league as Cally, TR or Heritage and also not convenient to Pawleys Island. Here's a link to photo tours of the top 55 MB courses: [https://flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157632004669462/](https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157632004669462/ "https://flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157632004669462/")

Ok the pictures sold me on Caledonia. That was my top choice already I just wasn't sure what the course shape would be like and it looks great. Only thing I need to check on are aerification days because I'm not playing anywhere with that.

Titleist ProV1

> @HappyGilmore22 said:

> Ok the pictures sold me on Caledonia. That was my top choice already I just wasn't sure what the course shape would be like and it looks great. Only thing I need to check on are aerification days because I'm not playing anywhere with that.

Here’s the punch schedules so you should be good. Only thing about Caledonia was the actual bunkers not being in good shape but it was due to rain. If you’re a single be prepared to get paired with someone (obviously). There’s no driving range so warm up as best you can beforehand. If you play late in the day there’s usually a peanut gallery on the deck in the clubhouse putting some pressure on your second shot. Good fun.

https://www.myrtlebeachgolftrips.com/news/in-the-know-myrtle-beach-golf-courses-summer-aeration-dates?utm_source=internal_email_full&utm_campaign=052719_summer_aeration_schedule&utm_medium=email&utm_content=summer_aeration_dates

> @BiggErn said:

> > @HappyGilmore22 said:

> > Ok the pictures sold me on Caledonia. That was my top choice already I just wasn't sure what the course shape would be like and it looks great. Only thing I need to check on are aerification days because I'm not playing anywhere with that.

>

> Here’s the punch schedules so you should be good. Only thing about Caledonia was the actual bunkers not being in good shape but it was due to rain. If you’re a single be prepared to get paired with someone (obviously). There’s no driving range so warm up as best you can beforehand. If you play late in the day there’s usually a peanut gallery on the deck in the clubhouse putting some pressure on your second shot. Good fun.

>

> https://www.myrtlebeachgolftrips.com/news/in-the-know-myrtle-beach-golf-courses-summer-aeration-dates?utm_source=internal_email_full&utm_campaign=052719_summer_aeration_schedule&utm_medium=email&utm_content=summer_aeration_dates

>

That's really unfortunate they don't have a range. Does True Blue have one?

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1

> @HappyGilmore22 said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @HappyGilmore22 said:

> > > Ok the pictures sold me on Caledonia. That was my top choice already I just wasn't sure what the course shape would be like and it looks great. Only thing I need to check on are aerification days because I'm not playing anywhere with that.

> >

> > Here’s the punch schedules so you should be good. Only thing about Caledonia was the actual bunkers not being in good shape but it was due to rain. If you’re a single be prepared to get paired with someone (obviously). There’s no driving range so warm up as best you can beforehand. If you play late in the day there’s usually a peanut gallery on the deck in the clubhouse putting some pressure on your second shot. Good fun.

> >

> > https://www.myrtlebeachgolftrips.com/news/in-the-know-myrtle-beach-golf-courses-summer-aeration-dates?utm_source=internal_email_full&utm_campaign=052719_summer_aeration_schedule&utm_medium=email&utm_content=summer_aeration_dates

> >

> That's really unfortunate they don't have a range. Does True Blue have one?

>

I think they do and it’s essentially right across the street from Caledonia. You could probably hit balls there and shoot over for your tee time.

Has anyone played TPC Myrtle Beach? Thoughts on that course?

Titleist ProV1

> @leec4571 said:

> Played TPC MB at the end of April, really nice course. D. Johnson shrine in the clubhouse. Heritage is also a nice course. Lots of history with the Pawley's Island courses.

Did you play any other courses in the area? TPC MB, Caledonia, and True Blue were my top 3 I'm trying to choose between. Caledonia seems like the best but I like courses like TPC better than the tighter Caledonia.

Titleist ProV1

TB is more forgiving off the tee than Cal, TPC, Heritage.

Cal is a very attractive course, without the use of a lot of marsh/water scenery.

If you haven't played these courses, there is no need to drive up to BF, Thistle, etc.

If you don't like the cost of Cal/TB, play Heritage, which also includes breakfast, lunch and 2 beers/soda.

> @HappyGilmore22 said:

> Has anyone played TPC Myrtle Beach? Thoughts on that course?

Played it while I was there about a week and a half ago too. It’s nice but nothing spectacular. Quite a few long par 4s. It’s not as good as Caledonia or many others down there imo. Caledonia isn’t a super tight course and is plenty forgiving off the tee imo as well. TPC actually seemed more demanding off the tee but maybe that’s just me.

If anyone has pictures of Caledonia, True Blue, or TPC MB from trips please share. Tough decision when I only get to play one on this trip.

Titleist ProV1

TPC MB and Caledonia aeration dates were a week ago. Will the greens be ok July 5th? True Blue was about 3 weeks ago so that seems safe.

Which course is more difficult?

Titleist ProV1

> @HappyGilmore22 said:

> TPC MB and Caledonia aeration dates were a week ago. Will the greens be ok July 5th? True Blue was about 3 weeks ago so that seems safe.

>

> Which course is more difficult?

The times for greens to heal after aeration can vary so you may want to call beforehand. Usually 2 weeks and they’re pretty close to normal but you never know. I can’t speak for True Blue but I can the other 2 and I’d say it depends on your definition of difficult. TPC MB was longer and demanded a solid shot off the tee. At Caledonia you could catch one less than 100% solid and still be ok for the most part. Caledonia has more waste areas but they were playable. Caledonia was in overall better shape as well. TPC was ok but there wasn’t much memorable about it other than having some crazy long par 4s or at least crazy long to me (460 yards). I would definitely do Caledonia over TPC if I had the choice assuming the course conditions were good.

> @BiggErn said:

> > @HappyGilmore22 said:

> > TPC MB and Caledonia aeration dates were a week ago. Will the greens be ok July 5th? True Blue was about 3 weeks ago so that seems safe.

> >

> > Which course is more difficult?

>

> The times for greens to heal after aeration can vary so you may want to call beforehand. Usually 2 weeks and they’re pretty close to normal but you never know. I can’t speak for True Blue but I can the other 2 and I’d say it depends on your definition of difficult. TPC MB was longer and demanded a solid shot off the tee. At Caledonia you could catch one less than 100% solid and still be ok for the most part. Caledonia has more waste areas but they were playable. Caledonia was in overall better shape as well. TPC was ok but there wasn’t much memorable about it other than having some crazy long par 4s or at least crazy long to me (460 yards). I would definitely do Caledonia over TPC if I had the choice assuming the course conditions were good.

Caledonia plays to only like 6500 yards from the tips so it's not a long course. Caledonia just bothers me not having a driving range before hand to get warmed up and the aerated greens 2 weeks before makes it just up in the air since it's the most expensive of the 3, otherwise I'd play there no question. I refuse to ever play a course paying full price to play on aerated greens. True Blue seems pretty good from the tee since it's wide open and they aerated greens 2 weeks ago so they'll be fine. So kind of leaning toward playing there based solely on the greens.

Titleist ProV1

> @HappyGilmore22 said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @HappyGilmore22 said:

> > > TPC MB and Caledonia aeration dates were a week ago. Will the greens be ok July 5th? True Blue was about 3 weeks ago so that seems safe.

> > >

> > > Which course is more difficult?

> >

> > The times for greens to heal after aeration can vary so you may want to call beforehand. Usually 2 weeks and they’re pretty close to normal but you never know. I can’t speak for True Blue but I can the other 2 and I’d say it depends on your definition of difficult. TPC MB was longer and demanded a solid shot off the tee. At Caledonia you could catch one less than 100% solid and still be ok for the most part. Caledonia has more waste areas but they were playable. Caledonia was in overall better shape as well. TPC was ok but there wasn’t much memorable about it other than having some crazy long par 4s or at least crazy long to me (460 yards). I would definitely do Caledonia over TPC if I had the choice assuming the course conditions were good.

>

> Caledonia plays to only like 6500 yards from the tips so it's not a long course. Caledonia just bothers me not having a driving range before hand to get warmed up and the aerated greens 2 weeks before makes it just up in the air since it's the most expensive of the 3, otherwise I'd play there no question. I refuse to ever play a course paying full price to play on aerated greens. True Blue seems pretty good from the tee since it's wide open and they aerated greens 2 weeks ago so they'll be fine. So kind of leaning toward playing there based solely on the greens.

>

I don’t think you can go wrong with either and I would take best condition over a arguably better course as well. If you’re in Pawleys island early next week ride by the courses and see how they’re looking for yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up playing True Blue on the 5th and getting the round in when it started storming on 18 green. Very happy with the course even though it was really wet and cart path only from getting so much rain 4th of July week. Course was still excellent but played long since you couldn't get roll. Massive fairways which are hard to miss off the tee and the greens were also massive. Would love to play there again with dry conditions and play from the tips.

Titleist ProV1