Public Short Loop Concept?

Wondering what people think of this “short loop” concept on public courses?

I just got an email from a local public course saying that they’ve started a 5-hole loop that starts and ends near the clubhouse for $25. Their sales pitch is: “golf, have a beer and head home in an hour”.

Setting aside the course quality itself and their small time windows for this, I really can’t get on board with the notion of playing just 5 holes...even playing 9 holes feels like a premature ending. I’ve always thought that one of the benefits of a membership somewhere would be the ability to play just a few holes when time is tight, but I can’t see paying $25 to play a handful of holes. If I only have an hour, I’d rather hit a range or short game practice area.

I understand why a course would do this: additional cash flow (and profit), fill otherwise empty slots on the tee sheet, increase play by reducing the time required, etc. but I'm interested in what other pub links golfers think about paying for this kind of option.

ytj6f165e5lj.png

I don't mind doing a quick round, say less than 9 holes. I don't have the time that I used to have and sometimes I wish I can play a quick round so that I can do more things. I only play once a week, unlike before, when I had a membership, I played almost everyday. There are weeks where an 18 hole, 5 hour plus round feels like torture because I need to do some other stuff after. A quick round every now and then will relieve my urge to play and at the same time will free up my time to do some other things at home when I need to.

The closest thing there is in our area is a 9 hole early morning promo where I start at the back 9 and finish the round in less than 1.5 hours when I am alone.

@0351Duffer - Right? Their normal 18-hole rates are $67 M-Th and $79 F-Sun, which equates to approximately $3.70-$4.40 per hole. My feelings about 5 holes aside, I'd think it would be worth more like $15-$18 (to cover the cart fee) for someone who could live with the short loop.

@msg - yeah, there are 4 different 9-hole courses within 10 minutes of me that I could play in just about an hour. They're either all par-3 holes or have a couple of short par-4s, but I'd rather play any of those during off-peak times than play 5 regular holes. I feel like it would actually help my game since it would be like working on the approach and short game. Plus, those courses cost $12-$18. If I wanted to swing all the clubs in the bag, there are also two "regulation" 9-hole tracks with a full complement of par 4s and 5s, playing at about 3300 yards. Those can be played in about 1:30 off-hours.

> @DeeBee30 said:

> Wondering what people think of this “short loop” concept on public courses?

>

> I just got an email from a local public course saying that they’ve started a 5-hole loop that starts and ends near the clubhouse for $25. Their sales pitch is: “golf, have a beer and head home in an hour”.

>

> Setting aside the course quality itself and their small time windows for this, I really can’t get on board with the notion of playing just 5 holes...even playing 9 holes feels like a premature ending. I’ve always thought that one of the benefits of a membership somewhere would be the ability to play just a few holes when time is tight, but I can’t see paying $25 to play a handful of holes. If I only have an hour, I’d rather hit a range or short game practice area.

>

> I understand why a course would do this: additional cash flow (and profit), fill otherwise empty slots on the tee sheet, increase play by reducing the time required, etc. but I'm interested in what other pub links golfers think about paying for this kind of option.

>

> ytj6f165e5lj.png

Certainly understand them wanting to increase revenue. And a lesser "portion" of anything usually results in a higher price per unit so no surprise there. They didn't say it was a "great deal", did they ? LOL

No idea about the impact of the Mon-Fri 5-er groups, since it seems to me they're clearly looking for the players that want to get in a quick 5 holes before work. And since I've never played that early on a weekday I guess they're filling empty spots; the "whenever available" certainly supports an "empty spots" theory .

But the Sat/Sun groups ? Taking 5-6 prime time groups as 5-ers @ $25 in place of what would certainly otherwise be 5-6 groups of 18-ers @ $79 certainly sounds like a losing proposition to me.

Personally, even when I was working I'd never do this. If I was that crazy about golf I'd hit a bucket of balls before I'd play 5. Heck, I'd hit a bucket of balls before I'd play 9. I've played 9 here and there after work just to get some time away from the office with some people I'd not play with otherwise but as a rule I hate playing only 9.

Pretty funny though that they're advertising early morning spots and their sales pitch is: “golf, have a beer and head home in an hour”.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Wouldn't do anything for me. I've already figured out which courses I can get 9 holes done in 60-80 minutes during twilight where I live. Most of those courses have twilight rates of $20-$30 for 18 holes including cart (I don't walk in summer in Phoenix) or as many as you can get in. No way would I pay $25 for 5 holes under pretty much any circumstances except maaaaaaybe if it was a quality course with a rack rate of like $200+ (which I would never spend) and I could get a little taste for $25, then I'd try it.

Coal Creek is a public course in Colorado that switched the 9s so they could offer a 5 hole loop. Since everyone tees off on the same first hole, they can let anyone play the 5 hole loop at any time. Their regular 9 hole rate ranges from $20-$26 depending upon time of day and the 5 hole loop is $12 weekdays/$14 weekends (not available 7-12 to avoid losing money from 9/18 hole rounds). It's priced right and If I worked near that course I would take advantage of that during the lunch hour.

• Like 1

The public course I buy a pass to has a few small loops that you can do and I love it. I hate beating balls on the range and would much rather play. There are various loops that you can do 2, 3, or 4 holes that loop you right back to the clubhouse. Before we were super swamped at work I could get to the course and walk

the 3 hole loop and be back to the office within an hour on my lunch break. It’s also great for taking my daughter out late in the evening since the most she can go with maintaining interest it about 5 holes right now. Agree with someone above though, love the idea but price point isn’t right. $15 sounds about right for that amount of golf if their regular rate is $60+

I’d be all over a 5 hole loop deal and think golf in general needs more options like this. If I could meet a buddy or take a co-worker out for a quick match after work, I’d definitely get out more. Not sure that I’d be as interested if I had to get out early morning.

The price point doesn’t seem that bad to me, but that’s definitely going to be course and region specific.

I do wish there were more options to play quick after work type matches. I get bored standing on the range and beating balls and the short games areas near me are like war zones with all of the balls flying around. I think short loops could be similar to playing pick up basketball at the gym or beer league softball.

I've seen several courses offering "evening bundles" for $25 that includes unlimited golf starting 2 hours before sunset, and two drink coupons.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Argonne69 said:

> I've seen several courses offering "evening bundles" for $25 that includes unlimited golf starting 2 hours before sunset, and two drink coupons.

Now THAT I can get on board with. Super twilight/all-you-can-play for about $25 hits my hot button. The drink coupons are a bonus.

@Argonne69 where are you seeing those around here?

> @DeeBee30 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > I've seen several courses offering "evening bundles" for $25 that includes unlimited golf starting 2 hours before sunset, and two drink coupons.

>

> Now THAT I can get on board with. Super twilight/all-you-can-play for about $25 hits my hot button. The drink coupons are a bonus.

>

> @Argonne69 where are you seeing those around here?

The last one I saw was at Brown Deer Park in Milwaukee last Sunday ([mke.golf/browndeer/](http://mke.golf/browndeer/ "mke.golf/browndeer/")).

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @DeeBee30 said:

> Ugh. Hoping it was somewhere local. Be sure to post in the Chgo thread if you see similar deals around here.

Wilmette has super twilight (5 pm) rates of $23/$25 (weekday/weekend). At Sportman's Classic 18 it's $27 weekday. The East 9 is $19 after 6 pm weekdays.

Springbrook has $25 weekday rates after 5 pm. The nine hole River Bend course in Lisle, a personal favorite, is $22 weekday. Orchard Valley is $25 after 5 pm. Village Links is $26 after 3:30 pm.

Just another way to get money. Packing people in as much as possible. I have no interest in playing anything less than 9 holes, and even at that, I feel like I just got started. I am way more for short courses, par 3 courses, putting courses etc. But to have a little loop of the full 18 course and charge $25 to play it couldn't be much less interesting to me. Chicago golf season is so short already, they need to be creative to get their money though.

Arlington Lakes offer 3, 6 and 9 hole loops post-renovation and flipping of nines.

Not the best course, but a nice option, $9 for 3 holes and $14 for 6 holes.

https://www.ahpd.org/golf/arlington-lakes-golf-club-rates/

A hole by hole description

https://www.ahpd.org/assets/1/6/Playing-Tips.pdf

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

which 5 holes at klein creek?

1, 2, 3, 17 and 18?, edit, nope, need to add 16 in there to connect (6 holes).

must be 10, 11, 12, 8 and 9?

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I live downtown Chicago, so any late afternoon play is pretty much a no-go. If I lived in the burbs close to a course I could see myself stopping by after work for a few holes. I'm no range rat. Hitting ball after ball from a perfect lie is no fun for me. I'd rather go out and play four to six holes.

> @DeeBee30 said:

> Wondering what people think of this “short loop” concept on public courses?

>

> I just got an email from a local public course saying that they’ve started a 5-hole loop that starts and ends near the clubhouse for $25. Their sales pitch is: “golf, have a beer and head home in an hour”.

>

> Setting aside the course quality itself and their small time windows for this, I really can’t get on board with the notion of playing just 5 holes...even playing 9 holes feels like a premature ending. I’ve always thought that one of the benefits of a membership somewhere would be the ability to play just a few holes when time is tight, but I can’t see paying $25 to play a handful of holes. If I only have an hour, I’d rather hit a range or short game practice area.

>

> I understand why a course would do this: additional cash flow (and profit), fill otherwise empty slots on the tee sheet, increase play by reducing the time required, etc. but I'm interested in what other pub links golfers think about paying for this kind of option.

>

> ytj6f165e5lj.png

Klein Creek in particular, has been in trouble for 5+ years. After not paying the property taxes for 3 years, they didn't make the loan payments to MB Bank who then filed to take control of the course which they were given. They listed the course, land, equipment, restaurant, etc. for just over $1.1M which on paper, appeared to be a steal for even just the land only. It's being run by Oliphant out of Madison, WI and they're the folks that run Lawsonia, Lake Arrowhead and a few other courses. Will be interesting to see what happens as at one point they were doing 25,000 rounds a year and are down now to under 15,000.

@geochitown - the rates for the loops at Arlington Lakes sound more reasonable for something like this.

Also, I was wondering about the 5-hole routing and finally just called the course to ask. You nailed it on your second attempt: it's 8-12, though the guy I spoke to said you tee off on 8, which wouldn't make sense since that doesn't really start or end you near the clubhouse. I asked what happens after hole 12 and he said you just drive back in (though he admitted there's nothing really stopping people from playing their way back in on 8 & 9...two bonus holes!). BUT I'd bet that, upon actually booking it, they'd say you tee off on 10, play 11, 12, 8 and finish on 9. That would make the most sense in terms of having a logical flow from & to the clubhouse and ensuring they only play 5 holes.

Money aside, I play 4 -6 hole loops all the time. I am a member of club, so it is at no fee, but I love playing for 45min-hour in the evening. It is more about going for a walk and working a few shots and is in addition to golfing 18 holes a few times a week.

• Like 2

Yeah, the ability to walk on and play 4-5 holes as practice or just to wind down from the work day would be awesome. I can definitely see the benefit for people with memberships. The core of my question is how many people value it enough to pay for it...and then, I suppose the question becomes “what’s it worth to you?”.

> @2bGood said:

> Money aside, I play 4 -6 hole loops all the time. I am a member of club, so it is at no fee, but I love playing for an 45-hour in the evening. It more about going for a walk and working a few shots and is in addition to golfing 18 holes a few times a week.

This time of year, I can usually manage to get in 9 after work no problem, last night a friend and I got in 18 teeing off at 6:00. But in the spring and fall, when it's getting dark much earlier here in MA, the wife and I will go down to the club and play whatever we can get in before dark, whether it's 3, 4, 5, 6 holes. That's one of the best things about having the membership, it's not like we've got a cost invested in that particular round. It helps that we're just over a mile from the club.

If I didn't have the membership option, and somebody offered something like this at a reasonable price, I'd definitely do it. Some golf is better than no golf, and I find playing much more fun than banging range balls.

I understand that everyone's different when it comes to practicing vs playing, so this isn't intended to be the right answer for everyone...

If I only have an hour or so, I'd **much** rather spend an hour at the range or practice green (chipping & pitching). After warming up with 15-20 balls, I use a random practice routine where I pull out a scorecard and play a simulated round of golf on the range instead of just banging 100 drivers or 8-irons. It's been very productive for my game and (for me) it's very mentally satisfying.

> @2bGood said:

> Money aside, I play 4 -6 hole loops all the time. I am a member of club, so it is at no fee, but I love playing for an 45-hour in the evening. It more about going for a walk and working a few shots and is in addition to golfing 18 holes a few times a week.

My club has several different 3-5 hole loops that end up back at the clubhouse. I'm able to play a significant amount of golf in a short amount of time in the late afternoon if I want. It's especially great for those times when I'm not sure exactly how much free time I'll have until my presence is required by wife and/or daughter. As a pay to play concept on a public, however, I just don't see the attraction. It really only works on a largely empty course.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"