My Paper Tiger journey / 1 year full time golfer job starts Monday 7-1-19

grantc79

> @Nard_S said:

> > @milesgiles said:

> >

> > It’s not really that simple.. you can improve at golf a lot easier at a younger age than you can as you get older. So I’m not against op’s aims here.

> >

> > Having said that, I’ll ask again.. have you actually been playing/practising 30 hours a week? Reading between the lines I’m guessing No.. 100 putts a day is not much..

> >

> I averaged for last 3 years 4-5 solid hours a week of practice year round and I live outside NYC. Been doing 200-300 balls a week at the range, devote time to short game etc. I own a business, have 2 through college with no debt, have another with dreams of college ball, so I do what I can to improve game so that day when I'm free, I can be sub 5 on a bad day. I saw OP's swing, one year will not get it done, especially with his conception of what needs to happen. I've been around solid scratch guys enough, played to 6-7 with a swing more hideous to understand what he's up against. 18 is young, 40 is not. It won't be some monumental achievement if I ever do get scratch, it won't be for him either, just saying.

I have no idea what you are just saying..........

Priorities change through life. Right now when my kids are having a blast at camp and I don't have as many priorities on me. When my kids grow up and are into whatever the heck they are into it wont be possible to work on golf non stop. I quit playing basketball I want to play this game for 40 more years. It will be easier to accomplish my goal now rather than later.

This is doable for me, there are people with less resources than I have who accomplish way more impressive things than what I am attempting.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @grantc79 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @milesgiles said:

> > >

> > > It’s not really that simple.. you can improve at golf a lot easier at a younger age than you can as you get older. So I’m not against op’s aims here.

> > >

> > > Having said that, I’ll ask again.. have you actually been playing/practising 30 hours a week? Reading between the lines I’m guessing No.. 100 putts a day is not much..

> > >

> > I averaged for last 3 years 4-5 solid hours a week of practice year round and I live outside NYC. Been doing 200-300 balls a week at the range, devote time to short game etc. I own a business, have 2 through college with no debt, have another with dreams of college ball, so I do what I can to improve game so that day when I'm free, I can be sub 5 on a bad day. I saw OP's swing, one year will not get it done, especially with his conception of what needs to happen. I've been around solid scratch guys enough, played to 6-7 with a swing more hideous to understand what he's up against. 18 is young, 40 is not. It won't be some monumental achievement if I ever do get scratch, it won't be for him either, just saying.

>

> I have no idea what you are just saying..........

>

> Priorities change through life. Right now when my kids are having a blast at camp and I don't have as many priorities on me. When my kids grow up and are into whatever the heck they are into it wont be possible to work on golf non stop. I quit playing basketball I want to play this game for 40 more years. It will be easier to accomplish my goal now rather than later.

>

>**This is doable for me, there are people with less resources than I have who accomplish way more impressive things than what I am attempting.**

Yeah I think the only thing that would/will keep you from achieving your goal is the 8" between your ears.

> @grantc79 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @milesgiles said:

> I have no idea what you are just saying..........

>

> Priorities change through life. Right now when my kids are having a blast at camp and I don't have as many priorities on me. When my kids grow up and are into whatever the heck they are into it wont be possible to work on golf non stop. I quit playing basketball I want to play this game for 40 more years. It will be easier to accomplish my goal now rather than later.

>

> This is doable for me, there are people with less resources than I have who accomplish way more impressive things than what I am attempting.

Guy in my town, played at a puny private club off LI Sound, worked at a factory, made it to the US Open winning Mid-Am championship the year Pavin won. That's impressive. Scratch, not so much. Look there's folks dying doing stunts for youtube views, literally falling off cliffs, you're being cheered on by anonymous internet crowds to chase scratch dreams when you have a young family and a young business to tend to. Neither gives a rat's butt about your golf index but they negatively will if things don't stay so rosy. I hope they do for you, I mean that. But I'm not going to be cheering you on to don the bat suit and base jump off of Mount Real Life. Be well & good luck.

> @Nard_S said:

> > @grantc79 said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > @milesgiles said:

> > I have no idea what you are just saying..........

> >

> > Priorities change through life. Right now when my kids are having a blast at camp and I don't have as many priorities on me. When my kids grow up and are into whatever the heck they are into it wont be possible to work on golf non stop. I quit playing basketball I want to play this game for 40 more years. It will be easier to accomplish my goal now rather than later.

> >

> > This is doable for me, there are people with less resources than I have who accomplish way more impressive things than what I am attempting.

>

> Guy in my town, played at a puny private club off LI Sound, worked at a factory, made it to the US Open winning Mid-Am championship the year Pavin won. That's impressive. Scratch, not so much. Look there's folks dying doing stunts for youtube views, literally falling off cliffs, you're being cheered on by anonymous internet crowds to chase scratch dreams when you have a young family and a young business to tend to. Neither gives a rat's butt about your golf index but they negatively will if things don't stay so rosy. I hope they do for you, I mean that. But I'm not going to be cheering you on to don the bat suit and base jump off of Mount Real Life. Be well & good luck.

>

You sound bitter... I have also owned 3 of my own businesses over the past 22 years and survived the 2008 fallout. The only person who has any say in what someone else "should do" is that person. You have no idea about his financial/family situation but you blatantly state he is making a mistake. So strange to spend time shitting on someone else's dreams...

For the record I went from 18 to scratch in 2 years while I owned and operated a business. So no reason he can't do it.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

> @Nard_S said:

> > @grantc79 said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> >

> > Priorities change through life. Right now when my kids are having a blast at camp and I don't have as many priorities on me. When my kids grow up and are into whatever the heck they are into it wont be possible to work on golf non stop. I quit playing basketball I want to play this game for 40 more years. It will be easier to accomplish my goal now rather than later.

> >

> > This is doable for me, there are people with less resources than I have who accomplish way more impressive things than what I am attempting.

>

> Guy in my town, played at a puny private club off LI Sound, worked at a factory, made it to the US Open winning Mid-Am championship the year Pavin won. That's impressive. Scratch, not so much. Look there's folks dying doing stunts for youtube views, literally falling off cliffs, you're being cheered on by anonymous internet crowds to chase scratch dreams when you have a young family and a young business to tend to. Neither gives a rat's butt about your golf index but they negatively will if things don't stay so rosy. I hope they do for you, I mean that. But I'm not going to be cheering you on to don the bat suit and base jump off of Mount Real Life. Be well & good luck.

>

You think Grant has been cheered on in this thread? You need to work on your reading comprehension.

For the record, a friend/student of mine tried to make a career of golf when he was 40. He ran his own business, worked a little less, and spent two years chasing a lifelong dream that he’d been saying “what if” about since he was 18.

He didn’t make it. He got really good though and tried his best. There’s no more what ifs because he went out and tried. His business is still good, his family still loves him (spouses tend to like when their husbands are happy and still providing). That time playing golf gave him peace of mind for the rest of his life that he tried to do something that he always wanted. And guess what, he got sick a year after ending his golf journey to the point he can’t really play golf more than once a week anymore. It turns out that him pursuing it when he did truly was his last chance.

So I’m not really sure why your perspective on this is so black and white. Grant is still making a living. He’s essentially doing what many CEO’s do, which is hire smart people and only show up when necessary. He’s not quitting a job to play golf. It sounds like this “sabbatical” is being done in a fiscally responsible way that still plans for immediate and future needs of his family. Even if he didn’t, who are we to judge? Many people have risked it all to follow their dreams.

If you’ve got the means to do something you’ve dreamed about, don’t wait to do it. Life can throw you a curveball at any moment.

• Like 3

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @Rohlio said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @grantc79 said:

> > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > > @milesgiles said:

> > > I have no idea what you are just saying..........

> > >

> > > Priorities change through life. Right now when my kids are having a blast at camp and I don't have as many priorities on me. When my kids grow up and are into whatever the heck they are into it wont be possible to work on golf non stop. I quit playing basketball I want to play this game for 40 more years. It will be easier to accomplish my goal now rather than later.

> > >

> > > This is doable for me, there are people with less resources than I have who accomplish way more impressive things than what I am attempting.

> >

> > Guy in my town, played at a puny private club off LI Sound, worked at a factory, made it to the US Open winning Mid-Am championship the year Pavin won. That's impressive. Scratch, not so much. Look there's folks dying doing stunts for youtube views, literally falling off cliffs, you're being cheered on by anonymous internet crowds to chase scratch dreams when you have a young family and a young business to tend to. Neither gives a rat's butt about your golf index but they negatively will if things don't stay so rosy. I hope they do for you, I mean that. But I'm not going to be cheering you on to don the bat suit and base jump off of Mount Real Life. Be well & good luck.

> >

>

> You sound bitter... I have also owned 3 of my own businesses over the past 22 years and survived the 2008 fallout. The only person who has any say in what someone else "should do" is that person. You have no idea about his financial/family situation but you blatantly state he is making a mistake. So strange to spend time shitting on someone else's dreams...

>

> For the record I went from 18 to scratch in 2 years while I owned and operated a business. So no reason he can't do it.

>

>

Actually I am anything but bitter, I do okay and my net worth is more than fine. My self worth is not wrapped up in Golf, that is for sure. If I sound salty about this, so be it.

Btw, Tiger took 2 years to rework his swing, Faldo did that and maybe more, they were full-time, hell they were Pro's. What makes anyone think they'll do it in half the time as HOF golfers? And yes, OP needs major swing fixes. So please.

> @Nard_S said:

> > @Rohlio said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > @grantc79 said:

> > > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > > > @milesgiles said:

> > > > I have no idea what you are just saying..........

> > > >

> > > > Priorities change through life. Right now when my kids are having a blast at camp and I don't have as many priorities on me. When my kids grow up and are into whatever the heck they are into it wont be possible to work on golf non stop. I quit playing basketball I want to play this game for 40 more years. It will be easier to accomplish my goal now rather than later.

> > > >

> > > > This is doable for me, there are people with less resources than I have who accomplish way more impressive things than what I am attempting.

> > >

> > > Guy in my town, played at a puny private club off LI Sound, worked at a factory, made it to the US Open winning Mid-Am championship the year Pavin won. That's impressive. Scratch, not so much. Look there's folks dying doing stunts for youtube views, literally falling off cliffs, you're being cheered on by anonymous internet crowds to chase scratch dreams when you have a young family and a young business to tend to. Neither gives a rat's butt about your golf index but they negatively will if things don't stay so rosy. I hope they do for you, I mean that. But I'm not going to be cheering you on to don the bat suit and base jump off of Mount Real Life. Be well & good luck.

> > >

> >

> > You sound bitter... I have also owned 3 of my own businesses over the past 22 years and survived the 2008 fallout. The only person who has any say in what someone else "should do" is that person. You have no idea about his financial/family situation but you blatantly state he is making a mistake. So strange to spend time shitting on someone else's dreams...

> >

> > For the record I went from 18 to scratch in 2 years while I owned and operated a business. So no reason he can't do it.

> >

> >

>

> Actually I am anything but bitter, I do okay and my net worth is more than fine. My self worth is not wrapped up in Golf, that is for sure. If I sound salty about this, so be it.

> Btw, Tiger took 2 years to rework his swing, Faldo did that and maybe more, they were full-time, **** they were Pro's. What makes anyone think they'll do it in half the time as HOF golfers? And yes, OP needs major swing fixes. So please.

I needed major swing fixes and did it in two years... down to scratch from an 18. His current swing is much better than mine was when I started...and I could only play 2 days a week for those years. Practiced more days, but certainly couldn't commit to it full time.

My net worth is more than fine and I do okay as well...what is your point? doesn't give you the right to tell somebody else they are making a mistake in how they spend their life.

OP has come off like a total douche in this thread for a large part of it, but you managed to show up and take the title from him with your black and white "I am right and you all are wrong for making the decisions you choose" attitude. Thanks for coming.

WITB:

> @Rohlio said:

> OP has come off like a total douche in this thread for a large part of it, but you managed to show up and take the title from him with your black and white "I am right and you all are wrong for making the decisions you choose" attitude. Thanks for coming.

You call me "bitter" and "a douche", and btw, you did take TWO years , yes? Yet I'm the asshole for pointing out that basically it's only golf and not real life & not really worth it . So I'll leave you now & you can go back to lecturing OP about his misconceptions of the swing (that will take a year alone) and feed both yours and his narcissism . I wear the badge you bestowed proudly. Your welcome.

> @Nard_S said:

> > @milesgiles said:

> >

> > It’s not really that simple.. you can improve at golf a lot easier at a younger age than you can as you get older. So I’m not against op’s aims here.

> >

> > Having said that, I’ll ask again.. have you actually been playing/practising 30 hours a week? Reading between the lines I’m guessing No.. 100 putts a day is not much..

> >

> I averaged for last 3 years 4-5 solid hours a week of practice year round and I live outside NYC. Been doing 200-300 balls a week at the range, devote time to short game etc. I own a business, have 2 through college with no debt, have another with dreams of college ball, so I do what I can to improve game so that day when I'm free, I can be sub 5 on a bad day. I saw OP's swing, one year will not get it done, especially with his conception of what needs to happen. I've been around solid scratch guys enough, played to 6-7 with a swing more hideous to understand what he's up against. 18 is young, 40 is not. It won't be some monumental achievement if I ever do get scratch, it won't be for him either, just saying.

I was actually asking Grant how much HE had been playing/practising..

> @Krt22 said:

> I must say, I did not anticipate the OP having a white knight

This thread keeps getting weirder. It's been quite a roller coaster.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @Krt22 said:

> I must say, I did not anticipate the OP having a white knight

I didn't either... I am offering no defense of the OPs behaviour in this thread. I just can't understand what gives someone the right to show up and tell others what to do with their time and money. I find that type of behaviour insufferable.

WITB:

> @milesgiles said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @Rohlio said:

> > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > I find the whole endeavor frivolous. A dedicated year to close the deal on an amateur invite to the US Open, yeah, maybe okay. A year of life to get to scratch? No way, no matter how in order the rest of your reality is. I say this as someone who's goal is to be sub 5 someday and spends lots of time working towards it. It's outsized & plain silly, and should be re-evaluated, asap.

> > >

> > > Why do you get to judge what another human being finds valuable and worth their time? Are you paying his bills?

> >

> > I don't judge and don't really care but since this is an opinion based forum, I'll give mine. One has the FU resources to quit work at the height of earning power ought to close THAT deal and accrue the leverage to retire permanently. Sober reality is window of earning years is much smaller than most like to think it is. You throw in economic and political shocks, it is even more precarious. More than certain OP will be no where near scratch in a year anyway, and if he does happen to do it, big whoop. So vive le difference but egging this on with encouragement is not being a bud or supportive it's enabling at best.

>

>

> It’s not really that simple.. you can improve at golf a lot easier at a younger age than you can as you get older. So I’m not against op’s aims here.

>

> Having said that, I’ll ask again.. have you actually been playing/practising 30 hours a week? Reading between the lines I’m guessing No.. 100 putts a day is not much..

>

As of right now I'm doing at least 100 putts per day to work on that.

Also doing at least a 1 hour workout per day core, abs, yoga, type stuff.

Doing stationary drills with mirrors to work on certain swing things.

I'm stuck at home this week taking care of a family member that had surgery, up until this week was spending a good 6 hours a day at the course as well as those things mentioned above.

This week and next week likely not pulling it off, after that I should be at my 5-6 hours at the course and 2 hours in the living room in the evening.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @Nard_S said:

>

Nard, at any given time I coach 3 little league teams and more. I'm spending every moment I can with my kids when they aren't at school or camp. Birthday parties, sleep overs, the whole lot. Breakfast everyday by me. Putting them to bed everyday by me. The weekends are 100% for the kids. I don't really need you questioning my parenting.

Is this coming from somewhere else? Do you have regrets about your work life or family life that you would like to make open to all of us to critique? Do you think when you die you'll be lying there saying "I wish I could have worked more?"

Its one thing for unsolicited swing advice in a golf forum, another for unsolicited parenting advice in a golf forum. That's a special level of ass that thinks that's his place.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @Nard_S said:

> Actually I am anything but bitter, I do okay and my net worth is more than fine. My self worth is not wrapped up in Golf, that is for sure. If I sound salty about this, so be it.

> Btw, Tiger took 2 years to rework his swing, Faldo did that and maybe more, they were full-time, **** they were Pro's. What makes anyone think they'll do it in half the time as HOF golfers? And yes, OP needs major swing fixes. So please.

When did I say if I'm not playing between the ropes I'm a failure?

We all have goals. Maybe club championship at my local club is mine. Maybe get to be scratch or a plus is mine. I have no delusions of competing with guys who have been doing this since they were 3 years old when I started at 30.

Dude at one point in my life I weighed 100 lbs more than I do now.

I started my company everyone telling me I'm an idiot and I'd go broke, now I'm doing this.

I have thick skin, if you haven't noticed re read the thread, and I'm setting my mind to something and this thread provides interesting downtime and accountability for that goal.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

If OP doesn't want a bunch of people giving unsolicited swing advice, I'm pretty damn sure he won't be big on unsolicited life advice, either.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

> @Nard_S said:

> > @grantc79 said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> >

> >

>

>

Well there you have it, let's pack it up. Even if OP does make scratch it's nothing to talk about. Why even post?

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

> @TLUBulldogGolf said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @grantc79 said:

> > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > > @milesgiles said:

> > > I have no idea what you are just saying..........

> > >

> > > Priorities change through life. Right now when my kids are having a blast at camp and I don't have as many priorities on me. When my kids grow up and are into whatever the heck they are into it wont be possible to work on golf non stop. I quit playing basketball I want to play this game for 40 more years. It will be easier to accomplish my goal now rather than later.

> > >

> > > This is doable for me, there are people with less resources than I have who accomplish way more impressive things than what I am attempting.

> >

> > Guy in my town, played at a puny private club off LI Sound, worked at a factory, made it to the US Open winning Mid-Am championship the year Pavin won. That's impressive. Scratch, not so much. Look there's folks dying doing stunts for youtube views, literally falling off cliffs, you're being cheered on by anonymous internet crowds to chase scratch dreams when you have a young family and a young business to tend to. Neither gives a rat's butt about your golf index but they negatively will if things don't stay so rosy. I hope they do for you, I mean that. But I'm not going to be cheering you on to don the bat suit and base jump off of Mount Real Life. Be well & good luck.

> >

>

> Well there you have it, let's pack it up. Even if OP does make scratch it's nothing to talk about. Why even post?

The guy who stated that hopes to one day be "a sub 5"

So apparently getting to scratch would not be an accomplishment worthy of someone else's time, but he hopes to be sort of close to that sometime in the future...not that it matters, because he knows what is important in life. All of us who have spent the time to become scratch are doing so to the neglect of our businesses and family and should rethink our life plan.

WITB:

grantc79grantc79 New Orleans Posts: 561 Aug 18, 2012 edited Aug 18, 2012 #36

BrianL99 wrote:

» show previous quotes

I've got a $100 that says Grant C never gets to Scratch.

Really?

I have the financial capability and a wife understanding enough to let me play golf 8 hours a day if I truly wanted to.

I'm currently playing to about a 5 handicap so I'm not that far away from it now to be honest, I'd wager I could do it by this time next year easy enough barring another wrist injury

This was from a forum post in 2012. Wonder if our boy ever paid up on that bet.

He’s been on the full time scratch journey for a decade.

> @SDl227 said:

> grantc79grantc79 New Orleans Posts: 561 Aug 18, 2012 edited Aug 18, 2012 #36

> BrianL99 wrote:

>

> » show previous quotes

>

>

>

>

> I've got a $100 that says Grant C never gets to Scratch.

>

>

>

>

> Really?

>

>

>

> I have the financial capability and a wife understanding enough to let me play golf 8 hours a day if I truly wanted to.

>

>

>

> I'm currently playing to about a 5 handicap so I'm not that far away from it now to be honest, I'd wager I could do it by this time next year easy enough barring another wrist injury

>

>

>

>

>

> This was from a forum post in 2012. Wonder if our boy ever paid up on that bet.

>

> He’s been on the full time scratch journey for a decade.

It’d be nice to see more specific goals from Grant. Say, quality and play in both a US Open qualifier in 2020 and a Mid Am qualifier in 2020. And card at least par in both.

That’s specific and verifiable. One could put odds on that.

> @grantc79 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> >

>

> Nard, at any given time I coach 3 little league teams and more. I'm spending every moment I can with my kids when they aren't at school or camp. Birthday parties, sleep overs, the whole lot. Breakfast everyday by me. Putting them to bed everyday by me. The weekends are 100% for the kids. I don't really need you questioning my parenting.

>

> Is this coming from somewhere else? Do you have regrets about your work life or family life that you would like to make open to all of us to critique? Do you think when you die you'll be lying there saying "I wish I could have worked more?"

>

> Its one thing for unsolicited swing advice in a golf forum, another for unsolicited parenting advice in a golf forum. That's a special level of **** that thinks that's his place.

I've never questioned your parenting and yes, it is out of bounds to offer life advice, so I apologize. You remind me of me 15 years ago or so, my irksome doucheness has been exposed by that. Apologies to all. To paraphrase a truism , "at 40 you have the world by the balls, at 50 you're happy to still have your own". Somebody mentioned curve balls, yeah, there's that. Far more post 40 than pre, trust that. I have zero regret of my efforts, I have several to the appreciation of that reality, but it was OB to voice that but okay it is what it is.

As for the black/white attitude and dismissiveness to the goal of being scratch, Sports is adversity without consequence, life is a game with consequence. If I could play more, I would easily be at new personal level, even sub 5 now, but I don't do it enough, 25 rounds in last 3 years perhaps. Last month, hit 14 GIR's and 12 FIR's in a 4 ball, we grossed 68 and when I say the other guys don't golf, they only do it that 1x a year. I'm their "ringer", lol. So for me, pretty good. Do I care? No. I have work to get done, that's the black & white, seared by curve balls of life. Enjoy your "journey". Forgive that I won't be paying attention.

• Like 2

> @Nard_S said:

> As for the black/white attitude and dismissiveness to the goal of being scratch, Sports is adversity without consequence, life is a game with consequence. If I could play more, I would easily be at new personal level, even sub 5 now, but I don't do it enough, 25 rounds in last 3 years perhaps. Last month, hit 14 GIR's and 12 FIR's in a 4 ball, we grossed 68 and when I say the other guys don't golf, they only do it that 1x a year. I'm their "ringer", lol. So for me, pretty good. Do I care? No. I have work to get done, that's the black & white, seared by curve balls of life. Enjoy your "journey". Forgive that I won't be paying attention.

Appreciate the post and I get it.

Its all what your priorities are really, I have someone who I do business with that dominates their field. They work their butts off often working from 430-615 at the office, come home wake up kids, have them off to school for 730, then back at the office until 6 pm, kids in bed by 8 pm.

This person makes waaaay more than me. They could retire tomorrow if they wanted to but they would be miserable because they don't have their "golf" they only have work. That's their identity. We often joke about them retiring but they won't. They want to do more deals. My goal is for my company and my team to do more deals, not necessarily me. If I devoted my entire day to grinding out my business it might grow another 10-15% a year.

I can't spend my entire day with the kids due to camps and school.

So the question is what will make me happy when its not kids time growing a bit extra at work or being a great golfer.

I'll take the golf :wink:

• Like 1

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @grantc79 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > As for the black/white attitude and dismissiveness to the goal of being scratch, Sports is adversity without consequence, life is a game with consequence. If I could play more, I would easily be at new personal level, even sub 5 now, but I don't do it enough, 25 rounds in last 3 years perhaps. Last month, hit 14 GIR's and 12 FIR's in a 4 ball, we grossed 68 and when I say the other guys don't golf, they only do it that 1x a year. I'm their "ringer", lol. So for me, pretty good. Do I care? No. I have work to get done, that's the black & white, seared by curve balls of life. Enjoy your "journey". Forgive that I won't be paying attention.

>

> Appreciate the post and I get it.

>

> Its all what your priorities are really, I have someone who I do business with that dominates their field. They work their butts off often working from 430-615 at the office, come home wake up kids, have them off to school for 730, then back at the office until 6 pm, kids in bed by 8 pm.

>

> This person makes waaaay more than me. They could retire tomorrow if they wanted to but they would be miserable because they don't have their "golf" they only have work. That's their identity. We often joke about them retiring but they won't. They want to do more deals. My goal is for my company and my team to do more deals, not necessarily me. If I devoted my entire day to grinding out my business it might grow another 10-15% a year.

>

> I can't spend my entire day with the kids due to camps and school.

>

> So the question is what will make me happy when its not kids time growing a bit extra at work or being a great golfer.

>

> I'll take the golf :wink:

Since you’re all in on golf, how about committing to US Open and Mid Am qualifiers and then par in the qualifiers per the above? We can then set odds, etc.

C’mon, Grant, put some skin in the game! You bet someone in 2012 that you’d get to scratch in a year. Why not take a stand here? You don’t even have to get to scratch to apply for these qualifiers and par in the qualifiers should be easy for you by then.

> @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > @grantc79 said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> > > As for the black/white attitude and

>

> C’mon, Grant, put some skin in the game! You bet someone in 2012 that you’d get to scratch in a year. Why not take a stand here? You don’t even have to get to scratch to apply for these qualifiers and par in the qualifiers should be easy for you by then.

I'm down but I think most of those tournaments have already taken place

A friend just played in one today I tried to do the mid am but my cap was 8.1 and had to be 8 or less

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @grantc79 said:

> > @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > > @grantc79 said:

> > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > As for the black/white attitude and

> >

> > C’mon, Grant, put some skin in the game! You bet someone in 2012 that you’d get to scratch in a year. Why not take a stand here? You don’t even have to get to scratch to apply for these qualifiers and par in the qualifiers should be easy for you by then.

>

> I'm down but I think most of those tournaments have already taken place

You’ll have to wait until 2020.

US Open local qualifiers will be in April and May 2020. You need a handicap of 1.4 or less.

US Mid Am qualifiers will take place in August 2020. You need a handicap of 3.4 or less.

You should look up the applications and become familiar with the requirements and the due dates for the applications.

Again, context is you get into both qualifiers and shoot par or under in each qualifier.

Anyone want to start setting odds?

> @Nard_S said:

> > @grantc79 said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> > > Guy in my town, played at a puny private club off LI Sound, worked at a factory, made it to the US Open winning Mid-Am championship the year Pavin won. That's impressive. Scratch, not so much. Look there's folks dying doing stunts for youtube views, literally falling off cliffs, you're being cheered on by anonymous internet crowds to chase scratch dreams when you have a young family and a young business to tend to. Neither gives a rat's butt about your golf index but they negatively will if things don't stay so rosy. I hope they do for you, I mean that. But I'm not going to be cheering you on to don the bat suit and base jump off of Mount Real Life. Be well & good luck.

> > >

> >

> > Nard, at any given time I coach 3 little league teams and more. I'm spending every moment I can with my kids when they aren't at school or camp. Birthday parties, sleep overs, the whole lot. Breakfast everyday by me. Putting them to bed everyday by me. The weekends are 100% for the kids. I don't really need you questioning my parenting.

> >

> > Is this coming from somewhere else? Do you have regrets about your work life or family life that you would like to make open to all of us to critique? Do you think when you die you'll be lying there saying "I wish I could have worked more?"

> >

> > Its one thing for unsolicited swing advice in a golf forum, another for unsolicited parenting advice in a golf forum. That's a special level of **** that thinks that's his place.

>

> I've never questioned your parenting and yes, it is out of bounds to offer life advice, so I apologize. You remind me of me 15 years ago or so, my irksome doucheness has been exposed by that. Apologies to all. To paraphrase a truism , "at 40 you have the world by the balls, at 50 you're happy to still have your own". Somebody mentioned curve balls, yeah, there's that. Far more post 40 than pre, trust that. I have zero regret of my efforts, I have several to the appreciation of that reality, but it was OB to voice that but okay it is what it is.

>

> As for the black/white attitude and dismissiveness to the goal of being scratch, Sports is adversity without consequence, life is a game with consequence. If I could play more, I would easily be at new personal level, even sub 5 now, but I don't do it enough, 25 rounds in last 3 years perhaps. Last month, hit 14 GIR's and 12 FIR's in a 4 ball, we grossed 68 and when I say the other guys don't golf, they only do it that 1x a year. I'm their "ringer", lol. So for me, pretty good. Do I care? No. I have work to get done, that's the black & white, seared by curve balls of life. Enjoy your "journey". Forgive that I won't be paying attention.

I mean this, huge respect to you. It is extremely rare for anyone to backup, apologize and change their tone. Well done sir. The best to you and your family.

• Like 1

WITB:

> @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > @grantc79 said:

> > > @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > > > @grantc79 said:

> > > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > > As for the black/white attitude and

> > >

> > > C’mon, Grant, put some skin in the game! You bet someone in 2012 that you’d get to scratch in a year. Why not take a stand here? You don’t even have to get to scratch to apply for these qualifiers and par in the qualifiers should be easy for you by then.

> >

> > I'm down but I think most of those tournaments have already taken place

>

>

> You’ll have to wait until 2020.

>

> US Open local qualifiers will be in April and May 2020. You need a handicap of 1.4 or less.

>

> US Mid Am qualifiers will take place in August 2020. You need a handicap of 3.4 or less.

>

> You should look up the applications and become familiar with the requirements and the due dates for the applications.

>

> Again, context is you get into both qualifiers and shoot par or under in each qualifier.

>

> Anyone want to start setting odds?

Their is no chance of this. There is a huge difference between becoming a scratch handicap and a tournament scratch, particularly in a tourney as difficult as those you mentioned.

Best of luck to anybody willing to try but that is a crazy bar to try and clear. Breaking par in several of the local qualifiers would put you in the top 5...I will give 100-1 against this up to $10k

WITB:

> @Rohlio said:

> > @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > > @grantc79 said:

> > > > @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > > > > @grantc79 said:

> > > > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > > > As for the black/white attitude and

> > > >

> > > > C’mon, Grant, put some skin in the game! You bet someone in 2012 that you’d get to scratch in a year. Why not take a stand here? You don’t even have to get to scratch to apply for these qualifiers and par in the qualifiers should be easy for you by then.

> > >

> > > I'm down but I think most of those tournaments have already taken place

> >

> >

> > You’ll have to wait until 2020.

> >

> > US Open local qualifiers will be in April and May 2020. You need a handicap of 1.4 or less.

> >

> > US Mid Am qualifiers will take place in August 2020. You need a handicap of 3.4 or less.

> >

> > You should look up the applications and become familiar with the requirements and the due dates for the applications.

> >

> > Again, context is you get into both qualifiers and shoot par or under in each qualifier.

> >

> > Anyone want to start setting odds?

>

> Their is no chance of this. There is a huge difference between becoming a scratch handicap and a tournament scratch, particularly in a tourney as difficult as those you mentioned.

>

> Best of luck to anybody willing to try but that is a crazy bar to try and clear. Breaking par in several of the local qualifiers would put you in the top 5...I will give 100-1 against this up to $10k

So if I understand you right, if I wager 10k that I shoot par in one of those qualifiers and pull it off you owe me a mil?

Thats 100 to 1 on 10,000

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @grantc79 said:

> > @Rohlio said:

> > > @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > > > @grantc79 said:

> > > > > @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > > > > > @grantc79 said:

> > > > > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > > > > As for the black/white attitude and

> > > > >

> > > > > C’mon, Grant, put some skin in the game! You bet someone in 2012 that you’d get to scratch in a year. Why not take a stand here? You don’t even have to get to scratch to apply for these qualifiers and par in the qualifiers should be easy for you by then.

> > > >

> > > > I'm down but I think most of those tournaments have already taken place

> > >

> > >

> > > You’ll have to wait until 2020.

> > >

> > > US Open local qualifiers will be in April and May 2020. You need a handicap of 1.4 or less.

> > >

> > > US Mid Am qualifiers will take place in August 2020. You need a handicap of 3.4 or less.

> > >

> > > You should look up the applications and become familiar with the requirements and the due dates for the applications.

> > >

> > > Again, context is you get into both qualifiers and shoot par or under in each qualifier.

> > >

> > > Anyone want to start setting odds?

> >

> > Their is no chance of this. There is a huge difference between becoming a scratch handicap and a tournament scratch, particularly in a tourney as difficult as those you mentioned.

> >

> > Best of luck to anybody willing to try but that is a crazy bar to try and clear. Breaking par in several of the local qualifiers would put you in the top 5...I will give 100-1 against this up to $10k

>

> So if I understand you right, if I wager 10k that I shoot par in one of those qualifiers and pull it off you owe me a mil?

> Thats 100 to 1 on 10,000

>

> 1,000,000............

>

Terms are par or better in both.