Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Xander Schauffele's Callaway Driver Failed COR Test

TitletownTitletown Members Posts: 223 ✭✭✭

https://golfweek.com/2019/07/20/british-open-xander-schauffele-driver-does-not-pass-cor-test/

Anyone have any more info on this? First time a driver has ever failed, I know they haven't been testing this long but this should be bigger news than it is. Really hope some journalist digs deeper into this. This is not a good look for Callaway, especially after the **** off-center Chrome Soft issue earlier this week.

Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9° / Tour AD Di 6
Rogue SZ Tour Issue 16.5° / Tour AD DI 7
Apex (3i) / Tour AD DI 105
Apex Pro (4i-9i) / KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 46-10, 50-10, 54-08, 58-08 / KBS $-Taper 120
Odyssey Works Versa V-Line

Comments

• QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX Posts: 9,127 ClubWRX

Wow! Not a good look.

Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro Orange70TX
    Taylormade SLDR Mini (14°) Matrix White Tie 70X
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
  • MakersMarsh3MakersMarsh3 Members Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah. Supposedly 3 others failed as well.

Would be very interesting if they did this on a more regular basis

lead tape & Taylormade TP5X's
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

What makes is even more interesting is that he has had the driver in play since the beginning of the year!?

Plus here was all of us thinking that Taylor Made has the spicer drivers.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • getair23getair23 Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is it possible for a driver to become non conforming due to use.

Titleist TS3 9.5  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5TX 
    Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5 Elements Chrome 7F5T
    Srixon Z 745 (4-9) Z 945 (pw) KBS tour-x
    Fourteen RM 21 50* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Bettinardi "The Hive" Black 54* and 60* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Edel 64* KBS C-Taper s+
    Titleist Studio Design 2
    Pro V1
  • Cartr0Cartr0 Members Posts: 4

@MattyO1984 said:
    What makes is even more interesting is that he has had the driver in play since the beginning of the year!?

My thoughts exactly. He has had it in play since January? Not cool. Would be interesting to compare his driving distance stats after several tournaments with the “conforming” driver to that of the past 7 months.

• RichieHuntRichieHunt Members Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@getair23 said:

I doubt it would be non-conforming for COR after use. Drivers tend to soften over time...yes, even titanium drivers.

RH

• getair23getair23 Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Xander didn’t seem to pleased that he was one of only 30 picked for testing. Too bad we won’t get any info on the possible other drivers that didn’t pass.

Titleist TS3 9.5  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5TX 
    Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5 Elements Chrome 7F5T
    Srixon Z 745 (4-9) Z 945 (pw) KBS tour-x
    Fourteen RM 21 50* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Bettinardi "The Hive" Black 54* and 60* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Edel 64* KBS C-Taper s+
    Titleist Studio Design 2
    Pro V1
  • youngun87youngun87 Members Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭

@Cartr0 said:

@MattyO1984 said:

My thoughts exactly. He has had it in play since January? Not cool. Would be interesting to compare his driving distance stats after several tournaments with the “conforming” driver to that of the past 7 months.

It depends on how non-conforming it is. There was a study posted here a while ago discussing how different COR values affect distance. Basically with the margin of error in today's manufacturing even drivers that are over their COR value add very little distance. Furthermore, the tour vans test clubs for their players. I bet his was right on the edge when they initially tested it and barely failed the R&A test. There are also margin of errors in the measuring devices.

TM M1 Oban Kiyoshi
    TM AeroBurner 15* Diamana Kai'li
    TM AeroBurner 18* Diamana Kai'li
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4 Project X LZ
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey 50*, 56*, 60*
    Tour Rat Proto
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It’s really an interesting one. Has he been gaining a competitive advantage over his peers? Possibly yes, possibly no. If it were drugs and there were a possibility that there was an advantage we all know what would happen even if the potential for an advantage was done completely innocently. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out over the next few days and weeks.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • HappyGilmore22HappyGilmore22 Members Posts: 456 ✭✭✭✭

Regardless of the advantage or not, this should never happen on tour.

TaylorMade M5 9 deg - Fujikura Speeder Evolution I 757 TX
    Titleist TS3 15 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5
    Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90x
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW - TT DG X7
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black - 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.12 D - TT DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5
  • SAM_PGASAM_PGA PGA Professional Knoxville, TNMembers Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on how non-conforming it is. There was a study posted here a while ago discussing how different COR values affect distance. Basically with the margin of error in today's manufacturing even drivers that are over their COR value add very little distance. Furthermore, the tour vans test clubs for their players. I bet his was right on the edge when they initially tested it and barely failed the R&A test. There are also margin of errors in the measuring devices.

Completely agree with this... Not one manufacturer is going to let a non-conforming driver into play on a world wide platform. Additionally (I can only speak of Titlest) has a routine schedule of testing every single driver they have on play to ensure they do not exceed the illegal line. If a Titleist driver is on the line, they know there is a very good chance that the next time it is tested it could be illegal... A back-up, if it doesn't already exist, will go into production.

TITLEIST - VOKEY - SCOTTY CAMERON
    TS3 9.5º @ C1 - LinQ Purple 6F5     TS3 16.5º @ C1 - Attas COOOL 7X     818 H2 21º @ C1 - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
    T200 4-5 + T100 6-9 - AMT Tour White S300HS     (T200 1º Weak)
    SM7 Jet Black     46.10F + 52.12F @ 51 + 56.08M + 60.08M - AMT Tour White S300  
    Phantom X 5.5 - 34"

• K13K13 DenverMembers Posts: 152 ✭✭✭

@QMany said:
    Wow! Not a good look.

For Callaway, not Xander right?

• TitletownTitletown Members Posts: 223 ✭✭✭

@SAM_PGA said:

Completely agree with this... Not one manufacturer is going to let a non-conforming driver into play on a world wide platform. Additionally (I can only speak of Titlest) has a routine schedule of testing every single driver they have on play to ensure they do not exceed the illegal line. If a Titleist driver is on the line, they know there is a very good chance that the next time it is tested it could be illegal... A back-up, if it doesn't already exist, will go into production.

I don't mean to be a smart-a$$ here because I don't know a **** thing about COR, but you say no manufacturer would let a non-conforming driver into play, but Callaway did. I don't blame Xander one bit, but someone has to be at fault. There had to be someone on the tour truck that knew this was non-conforming. Or am I missing something?

@K13 said:

@QMany said:
    Wow! Not a good look.

For Callaway, not Xander right?

yes, bad look for Callaway, imo

@getair23 said:

I did read in another article that a driver can become non-conforming based on use. That is what people on tour were saying about Taylormade drivers in the past.

@HappyGilmore22 said:
    Regardless of the advantage or not, this should never happen on tour.

100% agree

@jll62 said:

@Titletown said:

@SAM_PGA said:

I don't mean to be a smart-a$$ here because I don't know a **** thing about COR, but you say no manufacturer would let a non-conforming driver into play, but Callaway did. I don't blame Xander one bit, but someone has to be at fault. There had to be someone on the tour truck that knew this was non-conforming. Or am I missing something?

I'm no fan of Callaway, but this is all much ado about nothing. When Xander put the head into play, I would bet a lot of money that it was conforming (but very close to the limit after accounting for tolerance). No company is going to intentionally put a non-conforming driver into use these days. His head almost certainly became non-conforming after use.

I do agree with Xander that only testing a 30 club sample isn't equitable. Either test them all, or don't test any.

thanks for explaining, that makes a lot of sense.

• SUPERGSUPERG Members Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

Doubt the distance advantage would have been (or was) even noticeable for a professional golfer, not like he became DJ overnight with a hot driver

Taylormade M5* - PX HC HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.5
    Taylormade M5 15* - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 8 TX
    Taylormade RSI TP 3-PW - KBS Tour X
    Taylormade MG 2 50* 54* KBS Tour S
    Taylormade Spider Mallet 74

• SAM_PGASAM_PGA PGA Professional Knoxville, TNMembers Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every driver that every manufacturer produces for the Tour are right on the edge of being non-conforming BUT are conforming... that's why Titleist checks every one of their drivers in play on a scheduled program, and I'd be willing to bet that every Tour Van does the same thing. I did forget to mention that the COR test that the USGA/RA perform does have a "margin of error" so for a driver to fail is had be be outside the acceptable range obviously.

TITLEIST - VOKEY - SCOTTY CAMERON
    TS3 9.5º @ C1 - LinQ Purple 6F5     TS3 16.5º @ C1 - Attas COOOL 7X     818 H2 21º @ C1 - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
    T200 4-5 + T100 6-9 - AMT Tour White S300HS     (T200 1º Weak)
    SM7 Jet Black     46.10F + 52.12F @ 51 + 56.08M + 60.08M - AMT Tour White S300  
    Phantom X 5.5 - 34"

• toctoc Members Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I really don’t know anything about anything, but would atmospheric changes impact the COR measurement?

Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Titletown said:

@SAM_PGA said:

Someone missed something. Now let the "pros hit it long because they have juiced equipment. If I had a driver like that I would hit it 300 yards too." talk begin.

• WoodersonWooderson Members Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Can't believe Xander has had a . 25 yard advantage over his peers. So unfair.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5° Tour 75 Stiff 43.5"
    Callaway Epic Flash 15°/18°
    Ping G410 22°
    Titleist 818 H1 25°
    G410 6-PW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth GW/SW
    Ping Eye2 LW
    Piretti Potenza/
  • BearQBearQ Members Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

His response was cleverly disguised oh **** you caught me! Catch others now

Bad look. Can easily get his driver checked himself or his team/Callaway. Mistakes were made and if he’s used it in other tournaments, very disheartening

Cobra LTD Pro (9.5*) - Matrix SR Type C 70X 
    Callaway XR 3Deep (14*) - GD Tour AD TP-8X
    TM P790-UDI #2 (17.5*) | TP UDI #3 (20*) - Matrix Black Tie HM4 105X 
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Nike VR Forged (56DS) | Cleveland RTX2 raw (60.08W)
    Putter: TBD / fall testing

@Canoe Paddler said:
    This is a very USGA look for the R&A. If 10+% of the sample failed the test, then there are probably at least 15 more guys playing with illegal equipment. What’s the point of testing for illegal equipment if everyone in the field is not held accountable?

This is the point Xander was making. He said he was unfair to only test 30 players.

• Canoe PaddlerCanoe Paddler Members Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

@Titletown said:

@Canoe Paddler said:
    This is a very USGA look for the R&A. If 10+% of the sample failed the test, then there are probably at least 15 more guys playing with illegal equipment. What’s the point of testing for illegal equipment if everyone in the field is not held accountable?

This is the point Xander was making. He said he was unfair to only test 30 players.

I think he has a valid point. Especially since there was such a large % with illegal equipment.

Why not make it a rule that the winner of every tournament will be tested following the final round, with a penalty for illegal equipment? Then players will govern themselves.

• 596596 Lakeland, FLMembers Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

You don't need to test them all. No league I know of tests everything or everyone everytime they test. The league will test chosen random samples. It should be no different in golf. It's no big deal. Take the stick out of play and play another one, done.

• elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

TM rep told me their tour drivers are actually on the safe side just in case they get tested. Someone at Cally tour dept has been lax.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file