GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Xander Schauffele's Callaway Driver Failed COR Test

Titletown ·  
TitletownTitletown Members  462WRX Points: 264Posts: 462 Greens

https://golfweek.com/2019/07/20/british-open-xander-schauffele-driver-does-not-pass-cor-test/

Anyone have any more info on this? First time a driver has ever failed, I know they haven't been testing this long but this should be bigger news than it is. Really hope some journalist digs deeper into this. This is not a good look for Callaway, especially after the **** off-center Chrome Soft issue earlier this week.

Posted:

Mavrik 10.5° | Mavrik 16.5° | Apex CF19 3-P | MD5 48S, 52S, 56C | Toulon Madison H8

Comments

• QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX  9190WRX Points: 304Handicap: +2.5Posts: 9,190 ClubWRX

Wow! Not a good look.

Posted:
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
    Taylormade SLDR Mini (14°) Matrix White Tie 70X
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MakersMarsh3MakersMarsh3 TX/CAMembers  1718WRX Points: 301Posts: 1,718 Platinum Tees

Yeah. Supposedly 3 others failed as well.

Would be very interesting if they did this on a more regular basis

Posted:
    lead tape & Taylormade TP5X's
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members  6182WRX Points: 1,640Handicap: 3Posts: 6,182 Titanium Tees

What makes is even more interesting is that he has had the driver in play since the beginning of the year!?

Plus here was all of us thinking that Taylor Made has the spicer drivers.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 712U 3 Stiff Graphite Design Tour AD DI
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • getair23getair23 Members  2318WRX Points: 427Posts: 2,318 Platinum Tees

Is it possible for a driver to become non conforming due to use.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5tx 
    Cobra F6 Baffler Elements Chrome 70-x
    Srixon Z 745 (4-pw) KBS tour-x
    Mizuno T20 51* 54* 60* TT x-100
    Callaway PM Grind 64*
    SC Studio Design no. 2
    Pro V1
  • Cartr0Cartr0 Members  4WRX Points: 27Posts: 4 Starters

On -, @MattyO1984 said:

What makes is even more interesting is that he has had the driver in play since the beginning of the year!?

My thoughts exactly. He has had it in play since January? Not cool. Would be interesting to compare his driving distance stats after several tournaments with the “conforming” driver to that of the past 7 months.

Posted:
  • RichieHuntRichieHunt Members  4079WRX Points: 769Posts: 4,079 Titanium Tees

On -, @getair23 said:

I doubt it would be non-conforming for COR after use. Drivers tend to soften over time...yes, even titanium drivers.

RH

Posted:

Advertisement
  • getair23getair23 Members  2318WRX Points: 427Posts: 2,318 Platinum Tees

Xander didn’t seem to pleased that he was one of only 30 picked for testing. Too bad we won’t get any info on the possible other drivers that didn’t pass.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5tx 
    Cobra F6 Baffler Elements Chrome 70-x
    Srixon Z 745 (4-pw) KBS tour-x
    Mizuno T20 51* 54* 60* TT x-100
    Callaway PM Grind 64*
    SC Studio Design no. 2
    Pro V1
  • youngun87youngun87 Members  456WRX Points: 82Posts: 456 Greens

On -, @Cartr0 said:

On -, @MattyO1984 said:

My thoughts exactly. He has had it in play since January? Not cool. Would be interesting to compare his driving distance stats after several tournaments with the “conforming” driver to that of the past 7 months.

It depends on how non-conforming it is. There was a study posted here a while ago discussing how different COR values affect distance. Basically with the margin of error in today's manufacturing even drivers that are over their COR value add very little distance. Furthermore, the tour vans test clubs for their players. I bet his was right on the edge when they initially tested it and barely failed the R&A test. There are also margin of errors in the measuring devices.

Posted:
    TM M1 Oban Kiyoshi
    TM AeroBurner 15* Diamana Kai'li
    TM AeroBurner 18* Diamana Kai'li
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4 Project X LZ
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey 50*, 56*, 60*
    Tour Rat Proto
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members  6182WRX Points: 1,640Handicap: 3Posts: 6,182 Titanium Tees

It’s really an interesting one. Has he been gaining a competitive advantage over his peers? Possibly yes, possibly no. If it were drugs and there were a possibility that there was an advantage we all know what would happen even if the potential for an advantage was done completely innocently. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out over the next few days and weeks.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 712U 3 Stiff Graphite Design Tour AD DI
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • HappyGilmore22HappyGilmore22 Members  726WRX Points: 225Handicap: 3Posts: 726 Golden Tee

Regardless of the advantage or not, this should never happen on tour.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70 TX
    Titleist TS3 15 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5
    Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90 X
    Titleist T200 4-5, T100 6-PW - Project X 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM8 50.12 F, 54.14F, 58.10 S - PX 6.5
    Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2
  • SAM_PGASAM_PGA PGA Professional Knoxville, TNMembers  704WRX Points: 174Posts: 704 Golden Tee

It depends on how non-conforming it is. There was a study posted here a while ago discussing how different COR values affect distance. Basically with the margin of error in today's manufacturing even drivers that are over their COR value add very little distance. Furthermore, the tour vans test clubs for their players. I bet his was right on the edge when they initially tested it and barely failed the R&A test. There are also margin of errors in the measuring devices.

Completely agree with this... Not one manufacturer is going to let a non-conforming driver into play on a world wide platform. Additionally (I can only speak of Titlest) has a routine schedule of testing every single driver they have on play to ensure they do not exceed the illegal line. If a Titleist driver is on the line, they know there is a very good chance that the next time it is tested it could be illegal... A back-up, if it doesn't already exist, will go into production.

Posted:

TS3 9.5º - UST LinQ Purple 6X     TS3 16.5º - UST LinQ Purple 7X     818 H2 21º - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
    T200 #4-5 (1º Weak) & T100 #6-9 - AMT Tour White S300 HS1

SM8 Raw 46.10F   50.12F @ 51º   56.12D - AMT Tour White S400
    TVD 60K 10º Bounce Custom Grind - DGTI AMT S400     

2020 Special Select Newport 2 - 34"

Advertisement
  • K13K13 DenverMembers  210WRX Points: 133Handicap: 12Posts: 210 Fairways

On -, @QMany said:

Wow! Not a good look.

For Callaway, not Xander right?

Posted:
  • TitletownTitletown Members  462WRX Points: 264Posts: 462 Greens

On -, @SAM_PGA said:

Completely agree with this... Not one manufacturer is going to let a non-conforming driver into play on a world wide platform. Additionally (I can only speak of Titlest) has a routine schedule of testing every single driver they have on play to ensure they do not exceed the illegal line. If a Titleist driver is on the line, they know there is a very good chance that the next time it is tested it could be illegal... A back-up, if it doesn't already exist, will go into production.

I don't mean to be a smart-a$$ here because I don't know a **** thing about COR, but you say no manufacturer would let a non-conforming driver into play, but Callaway did. I don't blame Xander one bit, but someone has to be at fault. There had to be someone on the tour truck that knew this was non-conforming. Or am I missing something?

Posted:

Mavrik 10.5° | Mavrik 16.5° | Apex CF19 3-P | MD5 48S, 52S, 56C | Toulon Madison H8

On -, @K13 said:

On -, @QMany said:

Wow! Not a good look.

For Callaway, not Xander right?

yes, bad look for Callaway, imo

Posted:

On -, @getair23 said:

I did read in another article that a driver can become non-conforming based on use. That is what people on tour were saying about Taylormade drivers in the past.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @HappyGilmore22 said:

Regardless of the advantage or not, this should never happen on tour.

100% agree

Posted:

On -, @jll62 said:

On -, @Titletown said:

On -, @SAM_PGA said:

I don't mean to be a smart-a$$ here because I don't know a **** thing about COR, but you say no manufacturer would let a non-conforming driver into play, but Callaway did. I don't blame Xander one bit, but someone has to be at fault. There had to be someone on the tour truck that knew this was non-conforming. Or am I missing something?

I'm no fan of Callaway, but this is all much ado about nothing. When Xander put the head into play, I would bet a lot of money that it was conforming (but very close to the limit after accounting for tolerance). No company is going to intentionally put a non-conforming driver into use these days. His head almost certainly became non-conforming after use.

I do agree with Xander that only testing a 30 club sample isn't equitable. Either test them all, or don't test any.

thanks for explaining, that makes a lot of sense.

Posted:

• SUPERGSUPERG Members  527WRX Points: 296Posts: 527 Golden Tee

Doubt the distance advantage would have been (or was) even noticeable for a professional golfer, not like he became DJ overnight with a hot driver

Posted:

TM M5 10.5* - Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70 TX

TM M4 3HL 16.5* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX

Titleist 818 H2 - 21* PX Handcrafted HZRDUS Black 85 6.5

Mizuno MP18 SC 4-PW - KBS C Taper X

Vokey SM7 - 50 54 60 - DG S400

Scotty Special Select NP2

Titleist Pro V1

Stitch SL1

Advertisement
  • SAM_PGASAM_PGA PGA Professional Knoxville, TNMembers  704WRX Points: 174Posts: 704 Golden Tee

Every driver that every manufacturer produces for the Tour are right on the edge of being non-conforming BUT are conforming... that's why Titleist checks every one of their drivers in play on a scheduled program, and I'd be willing to bet that every Tour Van does the same thing. I did forget to mention that the COR test that the USGA/RA perform does have a "margin of error" so for a driver to fail is had be be outside the acceptable range obviously.

Posted:

TS3 9.5º - UST LinQ Purple 6X     TS3 16.5º - UST LinQ Purple 7X     818 H2 21º - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
    T200 #4-5 (1º Weak) & T100 #6-9 - AMT Tour White S300 HS1

SM8 Raw 46.10F   50.12F @ 51º   56.12D - AMT Tour White S400
    TVD 60K 10º Bounce Custom Grind - DGTI AMT S400     

2020 Special Select Newport 2 - 34"

• toctoc Members  2899WRX Points: 614Posts: 2,899 Titanium Tees

I really don’t know anything about anything, but would atmospheric changes impact the COR measurement?

Posted:
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members  6106WRX Points: 1,101Posts: 6,106 Titanium Tees

On -, @Titletown said:

On -, @SAM_PGA said:

Someone missed something. Now let the "pros hit it long because they have juiced equipment. If I had a driver like that I would hit it 300 yards too." talk begin.

Posted:
  • WoodersonWooderson Members  2114WRX Points: 233Handicap: 13Posts: 2,114 Platinum Tees

Can't believe Xander has had a . 25 yard advantage over his peers. So unfair.

Posted:
    Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
    Ping G410 LST 10.5° EF White 65s 44.5"
    Ping G410 LST 14.5° EF White 75s
    Ping G410 21° EF White 75s
    Ping G410 22°/25°/30° Hybrid EF White
    TaylorMade p790 7-PW Project X LZ 6.0
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth GW/SW/LW
    Piretti Potenza/Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E
  • BearQBearQ Members  3667WRX Points: 855Posts: 3,667 Titanium Tees

His response was cleverly disguised oh **** you caught me! Catch others now

Bad look. Can easily get his driver checked himself or his team/Callaway. Mistakes were made and if he’s used it in other tournaments, very disheartening

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @Canoe Paddler said:

This is a very USGA look for the R&A. If 10+% of the sample failed the test, then there are probably at least 15 more guys playing with illegal equipment. What’s the point of testing for illegal equipment if everyone in the field is not held accountable?

This is the point Xander was making. He said he was unfair to only test 30 players.

Posted:

• Canoe PaddlerCanoe Paddler Members  219WRX Points: 181Posts: 219 Fairways

On -, @Titletown said:

On -, @Canoe Paddler said:

This is a very USGA look for the R&A. If 10+% of the sample failed the test, then there are probably at least 15 more guys playing with illegal equipment. What’s the point of testing for illegal equipment if everyone in the field is not held accountable?

This is the point Xander was making. He said he was unfair to only test 30 players.

I think he has a valid point. Especially since there was such a large % with illegal equipment.

Why not make it a rule that the winner of every tournament will be tested following the final round, with a penalty for illegal equipment? Then players will govern themselves.

Posted:
  • 596596 Lakeland, FLMembers  3883WRX Points: 377Posts: 3,883 Titanium Tees

You don't need to test them all. No league I know of tests everything or everyone everytime they test. The league will test chosen random samples. It should be no different in golf. It's no big deal. Take the stick out of play and play another one, done.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members  3540WRX Points: 404Posts: 3,540 Titanium Tees

TM rep told me their tour drivers are actually on the safe side just in case they get tested. Someone at Cally tour dept has been lax.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.