Volunteering at a PGA Tour Event

tocino

After finally going to my 1st PGA tour event (US Open at pebble), I noticed they had tents/trailers with “Volunteer” signs as well as all the workers wearing US Open gear. I didn’t really think anything of it until the next morning. The wife and I had a great time and it was cool seeing how things were run up close. So I did some digging and found out every tour event has some way to volunteer. The next closest major to me would be the PGA Championship at Harding Park in 2020 I also found out that you have to pay ~$200 if selected (the US Open was about the same price, too)! I was shocked by how much it cost at first but when you look at what you get out of it: 2 golf polos, a jacket, a hat, bag, program, multi-day access to the event when not working, etc… that’s not a bad deal.

I decided to hold out on volunteering for the PGA Championship for now but I also remembered the Safeway Open at Napa is about 20 minutes away from my house and they too had a link where you can volunteer! Well after mentioning it to my wife we decided to fill out the application and give it a shot. I didn’t expect to hear anything any time soon but the next day I logged back in to the website and saw I was selected to be a marshal (the wife got selected as a greeter)!

I’m pretty stoked about getting accepted so fast even though I’ve never been a marshal before. I’m hoping it’s not going to be any more complicated than raising my hands in the air to keep people quiet prior to a shot or to help look for a pro’s ball in the rough. The schwag we’re getting is pretty cool, too. Again its 2 golf polos, a jacket, a hat, bag, volunteer pin, 2 5-day guest passes, breakfast/lunch, a free round of golf if you work at least 20 hours over the course of the event AND I don’t pay anything for it outside of my time!

The event isn’t until the last week in September (9/26 thru 9/29) but I do plan on documenting the whole thing and probably posting it here on golfwrx. I’d also appreciate any tips or things I should do or not do while on duty.

Cheers!

Well, most organizations charge companies to have their staff volunteer do it isn’t unusual to pay to volunteer. Taking my sales team to a local shelter to do laundry and serve lunch to women and their kids cost us $500 and filling goodie bags for military serving overseas was I think $300. This was an organized day of service for our staff in lieu of work.

I volunteered for several years at an older tournament held in MA years ago. It was great fun as we had a crew that repeatedly worked the same hole each year. We were able to get inside the ropes and see what each player had in his bag (long before WRX) and hear what they were discussing on each shot. We had to pay for shirts, hats, etc. but we did get day passes and a chance to play the course if you worked 4 days at the tournament as well. Wasn't cheap but it was a lot of fun.

IIRC volunteering at the API @ Bay Hill is free, and all volunteers get to play the course a few months later on a special 'volunteer day' that they close down the course for only them. Plus you get free swag the day of.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I’m surprised at some of the replies. My wife and I paid the $250 to “volunteer” at the Ryder Cup at Medinah several years ago. We had a lot of fun. You get better access depending on your job. You get better parking generally. I still wear most of the swag they gave. Plus you get access all week even when you aren’t working. If you want to go to the tournament anyway, especially the big ones, it’s a great way to go without having to pay ridiculous ticket prices. They usually give you food vouchers too which can’t be underestimated at these tournaments. The fact that Safeway let’s you play the course later is cool.

> @Bonneville85308 said:

> Personally I'd rather pay to go play a round of golf somewhere instead of paying to "volunteer" at a tournament. With the amount of money these events generate, the workers should be paid. It's not a charity, of course.

Technically it *is* a charity...or so they would like you to believe...

> @JLew27 said:

> I’m surprised at some of the replies. My wife and I paid the $250 to “volunteer” at the Ryder Cup at Medinah several years ago. We had a lot of fun. You get better access depending on your job. You get better parking generally. I still wear most of the swag they gave. Plus you get access all week even when you aren’t working. If you want to go to the tournament anyway, especially the big ones, it’s a great way to go without having to pay ridiculous ticket prices. They usually give you food vouchers too which can’t be underestimated at these tournaments. The fact that Safeway let’s you play the course later is cool.

Medinah... :'(

I volunteer every year at the Byron, it's free. Get access all week which is nice since we went a day or 2 every year anyway. First couple years you'll probably get assigned a committee with a less than awesome job, but do it a time or 2 and you can get gigs that put you in the middle of the action which is sweet.

I don't know why you wouldn't volunteer if you have the time and like being around the course and players.

Paradym 💎 💎 💎 10.5* AD VR 6tx

TSR 3 16.5* AD VR 7tx

TSR 2 21* AD IZ 7s

T100 4-5 Project X LZ

680MB 6-P Project X LZ

MG3 54 and 60

C&L CL2

I volunteer at Riviera...but usually just for the first few days before the tournament starts. Watching others, even greats like Tiger and Phil, play golf gets boring really fast. But it's close to my kids school, and is a nice break from my usual routine (I work for myself so I'm flexible)...I get some swag, free tickets and parking and food.

But you need to get on the right committee. Some like transportation and merchandise should be paid positions.

• 4 weeks later...

> @tocino said:

> I decided to hold out on volunteering for the PGA Championship for now but I also remembered the Safeway Open at Napa is about 20 minutes away from my house...

> I was selected to be a marshal (the wife got selected as a greeter)!

> I’m hoping it’s not going to be any more complicated than raising my hands in the air to keep people quiet prior to a shot or to help look for a pro’s ball in the rough.

The schwag we’re getting is pretty cool, too.

> I’d also appreciate any tips or things I should do or not do while on duty.

1 pick a charity you like and designate them as the recipient of your time. The tournament will make a sizeable donation after you work shifts. When multiple volunteers work for a charity the amounts are quite sizeable.

Definitely take the training for your committee. Its usually someone from the tour with your committee chairs. They'll cover all the basics, what to do/not and latest changes. After the training do go to the volunteer event(s) -party/ get together. Its good way to meet others and get an idea about tournanent specifics.

Always be prepared for the weather. You will be exposed to lots of heat -sunscreen & hat are a must, maybe rain -p/u poncho in vol tent & waterproof shoes for wet rough/mud and sizeable temperature changes esp if your doing multiple shifts in a day.

In marshalling there are different but overlapping functions that occur repeatly as each group passes through the hole.

Remember your part of a team, work with the extra set of eyes and/or someone with experience can be invaluable for your 1st few shifts. Knowing what to look for, then do and when is all part of the routine.

Usually hole captain will rotate you through different parts of the hole -tee (tee shot direction), green, crosswalk and ball landing zones. Spotting ball from tee sometimes is rl difficult due to elevation changes, obstacles in way or how well volunteer reads the tee shot. Some only show straight even when ball is in the rough.

Besides keeping the crowd quiet sometimes harder than one might think especially when alcohol is involved. Fyi, your representing the tournament to the fans. As such, expect many Qs how to get somewhere and where is something. Keep on hand your volunteer handbook and a spare pairings/ tee time handout. Both will have a map and information where specific tents, bathrooms, food concessions and the course layout. It maybe hard to decipher or read, but a little reading and you'll be able to answer the Q that you get asked repeatedly.

Definitely bring an ultra small seat w/o the carrying bag. Best is tripod golf sest used for waiting @tee or fairway. Really light, portable and makes great cane getting up/down steep hills.

Otherwise have fun and enjoy being inside the ropes. Watch and learn from the pros how they play the hole from the routine to setup to factoring in esch variable.

Do talk with the other volunteers and you'll hear stories and events that aren't reported or much later.

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

> @manku said:

> I volunteer at Riviera...but usually just for the first few days before the tournament starts. Watching others, even greats like Tiger and Phil, play golf gets boring really fast.

> But you need to get on the right committee. Some like transportation and merchandise should be paid positions.

Many committees have changed dramatically over the past decades. Player/VIP transportation is very different vs. on-course player shuttle transportation vs. evacuation transportation.

Even player/VIP transportation is very different at times - w/e before (setup/prep), practice rounds (arrivals), tournament (wives/entourage/coaches/usga/pga), cut day, sunday & monday/tuesday after the tournament.

No question the hours are long but you can pick how many shifts you want to work. Usually only 3or4 shifts are required to be done. Pick right and you can enjoy the entire tournament. At least your free not to be limited by duration of volunteer shuttle hours.

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

• 9 months later...

So I volunteered again for the Safeway Open. I wasn't originally planning to due to my cousin's wedding happening on the same week the tournament was supposed to be, but since they moved it up i threw my hat in the ring again. I asked for and received a spot at the driving range instead. I figured I didn't really get a chance to watch any players while they were hitting even though i was as close as 10 feet from them sometimes. I was mostly doing crowd control at the tee box or putting greens with my back turned or when i was in the drop zone 300+ yards away, you're watching the marshal at the tee to indicate which direction the ball is heading toward and not the golfer. I should be able to sneak a few more looks than the last time now. It also doesn't hurt I'll be closer to the entrance and the happy hour tent after my shifts. The hole i marshaled for last year wasn't quite the farthest away but it was still pretty damn far

I volunteered at the practice area a couple of times for the AT&T at Congressional. You definitely get a few minutes of watching the guys from close range while going about your duties. You also get a bunch of time separating the ProV1s from the ProV1x from the TP5 from the everything else. don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed every chance I've had to volunteer for a professional event. But every position involves more actual work than it does actual spectating. Have fun!

I’ve volunteered at the Korn Ferry tournament at Victoria National. It was $50 to volunteer. For that you got a polo, hat, food and drink while working, 2 week long passes for the week for when you weren’t working, and a round at Victoria. Well worth the $50 for me. Plus it’s a cool experience to be inside the ropes.

I've volunteered a bunch of PGA and LPGA events including some majors. It can be fun or boring. My current gig is at the local PGA Tour event as a walking scorer. This is pretty interesting because you're inside the ropes following the pros, tracking every shot. You also have a radio headset so you are very clued in on what's going on. You also need to pay close attention to what's going on because you have to handle a bunch of different tasks. The cost of the uniform isn't bad, and the clothes are pretty nice. You get to play the course afterward for a nominal fee. you get free meals, and can come to the tourney even when you're not scheduled. I enjoy it quite a bit.

I worked on the "leader boards committee" for the 2005 and 2014 US Opens at Pinehurst. At the US Open, the leader boards have panels that fold back, where the players names and scores are manually loaded (upside down and backward) and then hinged back into place. A team leader is specifically instructed via a handheld wireless terminal (technology changes, so by now it might be an iPad or similar) as to which players are shown, and their order on the board. Both times we were responsible for handling one of the "through boards" that show the current score of the players on the hole at that time. That kept us consistently busy, as we had to prepare the players' names (using individual magnetic letter panels to spell each one) and get them changed to the next group as soon as the current group left the putting green, stow away all of the previously used letters, and start the process all over again. We could peek around the end of the board occasionally to see a bit of golf, but not too often. The photo shows a typical leaderboard and through board, with the volunteers looking on from either end.

APVU1N5G9WXG.jpg

I’ve volunteered twice both times at Gleneagles. The first at a regular tour event and the second was the Ryder Cup. First time around there was no cost to me beyond travel. For the Ryder Cup, it was £70. For that, you had access to entire week and with the ability to get into the grounds before anyone else. As well as that, I got two polo shirts, cap, jacket, jumper and a few other things. 2014 was the first time that the European tour had charged anything for Marshall’s but we were told that the reason they started doing that was people turning up, getting the free stuff and entrance to the event in 2010 and then never turning up to do anything. I get that it is not quite volunteering when there is something to pay but they way I look at it, it is totally worth it.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023