Rory/Day/DJ will never win another major

golfer929

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone, this is the OP. I forgot my password, and no longer use the email that it was associated with. Are we still saying that I am trolling with my prediction or am I leaning closer to being Nostradamus? I don't want to jinx it, but when I get this week right, I will hit double digits and become 10-10 in the last 10 majors. It was very funny to go back to old posts of people who said they would have all won another by now or that they have 8 left between them! Hope you're all staying safe and doing well during these times.

Ha yeah, I remember this thread. I remember the thread police asking for it to be "locked" as it doesn't conform to their views and that in their opinion you are a toll. The prediction is holding up well. In my opinion I think Rory and Day with his form building will win another one or more. Rory being a fav of mine so I hope he does. I also remember your courteous replies and i am sure you would acknowledge a win by any of those three. Anyway it will be an exciting PGA this week which in my opinion is the least prestigious of the majors.

• 3 weeks later...

oops

Edited by melo

[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra LTD Tensei Pro Blue 70[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Titleist 816H1 17* GD AD HY 85[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Callaway Apex 20* GD AD HY 95[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Nike Vapor Pro 4-pw Recoil 110 proto[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Vokey SM6 50-54-58 Recoil 125 proto[/font][/size][/b]

On 7/22/2019 at 12:27 AM, youdamantiger said:

Well, another year down and this prediction is still coming up roses. At this point it’s been five years since Rory took a major, four years for Day, and three years for DJ.

Now it's six, five and four years for DJ respectively, although DJ and Day played well at the PGA.  I re-read the thread and someone extrapolated that they were all going to play for another 20 years (17 now) and have four majors per year.  The percentages are dwindling yearly, although would love to see Rory win the Masters.

Fun topic.  Well done OP.

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

12 hours ago, beluga99 said:

Now it's six, five and four years for DJ respectively, although DJ and Day played well at the PGA.  I re-read the thread and someone extrapolated that they were all going to play for another 20 years (17 now) and have four majors per year.  The percentages are dwindling yearly, although would love to see Rory win the Masters.

I would prefer Rory not win the Masters unless he wins another major again first. Same with Spieth and the PGA. The Career Grand Slam winners are the elite of the greatest ever. Gene Sarazen won seven majors but played the prime of his career before the inception of the Masters, and he won the Western Open when that was considered a "major" like tournament. Player and Hogan have 9 majors (and Hogan likely would have had more due to WWII), and obviously Tiger and Jack have 15 and 18. I don't want to see a 5-major winner be in that elite group.

I think DJ and Rory will both eventually win another one. There'll be some course that suits their eye that they can get hot and just obliterate the competition like Rory did at Congressional. Day I feel like is the best suited to win majors, but he can't seem to stay healthy.

Callaway Paradym 12* (-1Std) Autoflex SF505X

Callaway Paradym Heavenwood

Ping G425M 20.5* Tensei Raw Org 75S

Ping G425 22* ADIZ85S

Ping G425 26* ADIZ85S

T100S 6-7 (1* weak) Aerotech FC115

T100 8-PW  Aerotech FC115

Titleist T100 50*  Aerotech FC115

Vokey SM8 54.12D/58.8M Aerotech FC115
SC Champ Choice Newport 2 Stability Shaft Tour

42 minutes ago, mizunoMX25 said:

I think DJ and Rory will both eventually win another one. There'll be some course that suits their eye that they can get hot and just obliterate the competition like Rory did at Congressional. Day I feel like is the best suited to win majors, but he can't seem to stay healthy.

Too bad for DJ that TPC Boston will never host a major

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 1:46 AM, beluga99 said:

And this prediction is still holding up ...

On 8/5/2020 at 5:49 PM, Guest said:

Hello everyone, this is the OP. I forgot my password, and no longer use the email that it was associated with. Are we still saying that I am trolling with my prediction or am I leaning closer to being Nostradamus? I don't want to jinx it, but when I get this week right, I will hit double digits and become 10-10 in the last 10 majors. It was very funny to go back to old posts of people who said they would have all won another by now or that they have 8 left between them! Hope you're all staying safe and doing well during these times.

It is funny looking back at all those who responded with insulting or snarky comments who all now have egg all over their faces. 

39 minutes ago, Lark said:

It is funny looking back at all those who responded with insulting or snarky comments who all now have egg all over their faces. 

We all have to remember one thing, golf is hard. Really hard. 

We can't expect these guys to go out and win every week, or win 10 majors. They can get hot, go on runs, but we can't expect everyone to be the next Tiger; that's what makes Tiger, Tiger. 

Take Jack and Tiger out the equation, who has the most majors in the modern era, Gary Player/Hogan at 9. They're just hard to win. Will Colin Morikawa win another? Tough to say, and he has a whole career in front of him. Is it weird that one time major winners are Furyk, Sergio, Davis Love, DJ, while Zach Johnson, Angel Cabera and John Daly have 2. And Padraig Harrington has more than all of them. Rub of the green. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lark said:

Lol wut? “Looking back”??? Have Rory, Day and DJ all retired since I logged on yesterday?

Only another 10 or 15 years to go before you and the OP can pat yourself on the back. 

• Like 2

This is just beyond stupid, so I think I'll bow out of the conversation for another 10 or 15 years.....or until the golfers currently ranked #1, #4 and #38 in the world manage to win another major between them.....you know, whichever comes first.

Wish there was a way I could put a bunch of money on such a thoroughly foolish proposition.....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jmck said:

This is just beyond stupid, so I think I'll bow out of the conversation for another 10 or 15 years.....or until the golfers currently ranked #1, #4 and #38 in the world manage to win another major between them.....you know, whichever comes first.

Wish there was a way I could put a bunch of money on such a thoroughly foolish proposition.....

Why are you so mad? Because OP is right?

• Like 1

It's just amazing that we have so many time travelers in this thread!  Thanks for chiming in from 20 years in the future guys!

Seriously, this thread is I-just-need-to-make-a-few-more-putts-then-I'll-be-down-to-a-4-handicap-and-for-sure-absolutely-be-able-to-beat-up-on-LPGA-tour-players levels of dumb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/26/2020 at 6:52 AM, Ironman_32 said:

We all have to remember one thing, golf is hard. Really hard. 

We can't expect these guys to go out and win every week, or win 10 majors. They can get hot, go on runs, but we can't expect everyone to be the next Tiger; that's what makes Tiger, Tiger. 

Take Jack and Tiger out the equation, who has the most majors in the modern era, Gary Player/Hogan at 9. They're just hard to win. Will Colin Morikawa win another? Tough to say, and he has a whole career in front of him. Is it weird that one time major winners are Furyk, Sergio, Davis Love, DJ, while Zach Johnson, Angel Cabera and John Daly have 2. And Padraig Harrington has more than all of them. Rub of the green. 

Hogan is now the modern era? He played closer to the first 72 hole Open Championship than to today.

But yeah, majors are hard to win. Primarily because there are only four a year. Asking a pro to win an event or two a year is difficult enough. Asking them to win one of just four events is exponentially more difficult.

That said Rory and DJ are definitely still in the running. Day who knows?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

6 hours ago, jmck said:

It's just amazing that we have so many time travelers in this thread!  Thanks for chiming in from 20 years in the future guys!

Seriously, this thread is I-just-need-to-make-a-few-more-putts-then-I'll-be-down-to-a-4-handicap-and-for-sure-absolutely-be-able-to-beat-up-on-LPGA-tour-players levels of dumb.

I mean, he's not wrong so far and with the way most of them are playing, still not wrong.

But way to let it effect you so much you're reaching stroke levels of blood pressure readings.

16 minutes ago, 976-Evil said:

I mean, he's not wrong so far and with the way most of them are playing, still not wrong.

But way to let it effect you so much you're reaching stroke levels of blood pressure readings.

There’s a big difference between “not wrong so far” and “right.”

Simply remarkable how many people aren’t capable of understanding how linear time works.

And yeah, “the way most of them are playing” that’s another good one. Takes dedicated, long-term garbage playing to be #1, 4, or 38 in the OWGR.

Just beyond stupid. But hey, good on you for embracing it.

• Like 1

I gotta think that Rory or DJ will pick another up at some point, but the longer time marches on the more I think it won’t happen.  Rory just doesn’t putt well, especially on fast greens and his short game has never been great.  

DJ, I mean who knows where his brain is at?  Jason Day has back problems, 

most guys win their majors in a 10 year window, except for the all time greats.  Sure one could fall in their lap but I don’t see these guys going on a run of winning multiples.  Same goes for Sergio, Scott, etc. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly