How many strokes do you think you would save if you have a caddy

Putting...I think people would see a big difference in strokes per round. Someone to help you with reads, keep your head in it.

Total score as well...confirming your decisions or helping you commit.

I'd say an average golfer would save about 4 strokes putting per round and 3 strokes on other shots.

Side comment...why shouldn't golfers go it alone...why do they get an assistant to help them? Wouldn't it be more fair if they got zero assistance thru the round?

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

On my home course none. First time playing a new course, if there's some tricks to it...maybe 2-3 shots

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

If they really knows how to read greens on a course I have never played, maybe 3-5 shots. Some of those shots would come from where to go off the tee, however.

Of the 15 or so caddies I have had, two were really good, one was an arrogant prick at Pebble and the others couldn't read greens very well. The Irish lass at Lahinch was really good. I liked how she would point out if the putt was up or downhill if it made sense to make the statement as it isn't always obvious. She won the Irish Amateur.

Depends on the caddie and the course I’m on....

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

Haven't used a caddie often enough to even take a good guess. Only during special rounds typically on new courses.

For the pros though since walking is vital to professional play I'm not sure why they shouldn't have to tote their own equipment? Not dying for a change but I'd be OK with it.

Got to think golfers, and sponsors both may see some opportunities.

6ood4rhf41pf.png

None. I seriously think pro's should play without them too, use a range finder and study the course. I think it could actually speed up play sometimes too.Too much back and forth about wind direction, club selection, this and that... see your therapist after the round. Just shoot the distance and hit the damn ball already.

I don’t know why the “go it alone” comment comes up so often. Would you like to see the first and third base coaches go away in baseball, what about the multitude of coaches in football? A tour caddie’s most valuable asset is controlling the crowd and tv people as his player plays golf. They discuss club and shot selection but almost all tour players could talk to themselves and arrive at the same decision. Keeping the gallery idiots off their phones and aware that golf is being played is their biggest task.

> @monkeyboy said:

> Putting...I think people would see a big difference in strokes per round. Someone to help you with reads, keep your head in it.

> Total score as well...confirming your decisions or helping you commit.

> I'd say an average golfer would save about 4 strokes putting per round and 3 strokes on other shots.

>

> Side comment...why shouldn't golfers go it alone...why do they get an assistant to help them? Wouldn't it be more fair if they got zero assistance thru the round?

• Like 1

Had a forecaddy that was required at Sawgrass. It wasn't really a help at all to be honest. I still had to hit the shots and often times the "tips" were not entirely helpful most of the time. It was more like "oh keep it left of that tree, it opens a bit more there," or "it's 160 to carry the water," not much different that a good GPS or a decent yardage book would be able to help out with or something I couldn't figure out on my own such as not trying to hit it into a tree on the right or thinking I could carry it 285 over it when I know that isn't ever going to happen.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

I think the "go at it alone" comments come up often because, well, people see it as more a team effort. How many times have you heard a caddy talk a player out of a certain club selection, they tell the player where to land the ball on the green, where to aim, how fast and what direction the wind is blowing, obviously yardage, they walk the course prior to rounds to scout it out. They play the role of on course therapist/mental coach. For me all the help the caddy gives takes some of the skill away from the overall aspect of golf ie: yardage to hazards/pins, contour of greens, wind patterns, club selection...etc. Essentially all the players do is hit shots, the caddy makes all the important choices for them basically.

It would be interesting to see the players out there solo, with a range finder and a pushcart only.

5 or so per round from experience. I went on holiday once, played a course with tough greens for a few rounds. Had the local caddies reading my putts. Made it way easier knowing the reads were right as I do trust my stroke I am bad at reading both speed and line of putts, so for me it can save 5-10 putts per round depending what length putts I have.

Caddy probably makes it fairer, green reading isn't really golf as such. Hitting the ball is what I consider golf, I'd rather the best putter be winning - not reader of putts. Between player and caddy I imagine most of the time they have good to perfect reads in pro golf. I wouldn't want it becoming too much of a stamina/organisation contest either - the players would be too up against it in strong wind and rain in majors if they got no caddy - would be stupid in my opinion for a player to not be allowed a caddy.

> @golfandfishing said:

> I don’t know why the “go it alone” comment comes up so often. Would you like to see the first and third base coaches go away in baseball, what about the multitude of coaches in football? A tour caddie’s most valuable asset is controlling the crowd and tv people as his player plays golf. They discuss club and shot selection but almost all tour players could talk to themselves and arrive at the same decision. Keeping the gallery idiots off their phones and aware that golf is being played is their biggest task.

>

> > @monkeyboy said:

> > Putting...I think people would see a big difference in strokes per round. Someone to help you with reads, keep your head in it.

> > Total score as well...confirming your decisions or helping you commit.

> > I'd say an average golfer would save about 4 strokes putting per round and 3 strokes on other shots.

> >

> > Side comment...why shouldn't golfers go it alone...why do they get an assistant to help them? Wouldn't it be more fair if they got zero assistance thru the round?

>

>

Less coaches in baseball? Yes.

Less coaches in football? Abso-freaking-lutely.

Football is the most over-coached embarrassment out there.

On an unfamiliar course, let's say playing a links courses while on a golf vacation in UK, having some way not to be totally blind about the best way to play each hole is very valuable. And I have trouble deriving that from a StrokeSaver or yardage book.

But for me, playing alongside a couple other golfers who know their way around the course is equally helpful to hiring a caddie. At one of the Open Rota courses that I've played a few times, there very first time I arranged to play with a guy who knew the course like the back of his hand. I asked him not to give me caddie-like advice but simply to hit his shots before me on every hole so I could see where he was aiming and what happened when the ball landed.

I found that much less distracting than typical caddie palaver and simply seeing his tee shots head off in a certain direction gave me a visual image of what needed doing. A couple times he hit shots and said, "That's a little too far left" or whatever which also helped.

As someone who likes to get out early and play alone, a forecaddie would def help. Those mornings when the sun is coming up and the dew is still on the grass, can make it hard to find a ball even a few yards off the fairway.

Depending on the caddy and the course, I would think 1-2 strokes on the greens if they are really familiar with them. Those times when you just totally misread, the caddy could help. I know I’ve had times on courses I’ve only played a few times where I swear it’s going one way, only to have it break hard the opposite direction. Could save a 3 putt on those occasions.

I don’t think I’d save any strokes off the tee and maybe occasionally on an approach if he knew the slope of the green that I couldn’t see clearly from the fairway.

Right now? 0. My putter stroke is broken at the moment so it wouldn't matter. If I get that squared away, I would guess 2-3 shots. Even when I'm putting decent, I don't think my execution is currently at the level where a caddie would save me much.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

> @Optimus-Par said:

> Not so much a caddie to save me strokes, but perhaps some spectators positioned about 280 off the tee to point out my ball once I get up there. I always have jealous feelings for the tour guys when they have a multitude of people looking for their ball.

This is 100% right. The ability to find a ball in 3 minutes is insane. Hell, sometimes I can't find mine in the first cut.

Only time I want a caddy is on a new course, more for off the tee and approach shots. Home course after a year you shouldn't need any help.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind