2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ryo Ishikawa- the Japanese Ty Tryon?

Outlier

It’s a wonder that he’s 181. Couldn’t finish in the top 100 of the PGA or Euro tour, has never won outside of Asia, has no top tens in majors ever but is in the top 200 in the world somehow. People argue the OWGR is flawed when talking about who is #1, but the real crimes occur at the 50 spot on down where eligibility decisions are made.

> @golfandfishing said:

> It’s a wonder that he’s 181. Couldn’t finish in the top 100 of the PGA or Euro tour, has never won outside of Asia, has no top tens in majors ever but is in the top 200 in the world somehow. People argue the OWGR is flawed when talking about who is #1, but the real crimes occur at the 50 spot on down where eligibility decisions are made.

Winning on any tour is hard and should be rewarded as such. There's a number of "perennial" players on the PGA Tour I wouldn't back to win a tournament in a lower tour, even if they had 10 or 20 chances.

• 1 month later...

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> Ryo wins his second tournament in a row in Japan and now leads that tour's money list. He has 16 lifetime wins on the Japanese Tour. He's projected to move to about #120 in the world.

Confirmed at #122

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

It was a convincing win, as he led from start to finish. He seems to have his driver under control more, which was one of his big problems.

There's a PGATOUR event being held in Japan in, I think November (before or after the Japan Open??), and the commentators this last week said he might be able get eligibility to play in it. Not sure how, but that's what they were saying.

He's also due to play this week in a tournament near me. I was hoping to go and watch a day or two of it, but I don't think my back's up to it yet. I WILL go to watch the Japan Open, though.

Edit: the event's in October, the ZOZO Championship.

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> There's a PGATOUR event being held in Japan in, I think November (before or after the Japan Open??), **and the commentators this last week said he might be able get eligibility to play in it. Not sure how, but that's what they were saying.**

Sponsor exemption.

> @grm24 said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > There's a PGATOUR event being held in Japan in, I think November (before or after the Japan Open??), **and the commentators this last week said he might be able get eligibility to play in it. Not sure how, but that's what they were saying.**

> Sponsor exemption.

>

>

That makes sense.

> > @grm24 said:

> > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > There's a PGATOUR event being held in Japan in, I think November (before or after the Japan Open??), **and the commentators this last week said he might be able get eligibility to play in it. Not sure how, but that's what they were saying.**

> > Sponsor exemption.

> >

> >

>

> That makes sense.

Did a little research for the ZOZO field. Co-sanctiond between the PGA Tour and Japan Golf Tour. 78 players. 60 spots for PGA Tour players taken from the recent Fed Ex Cup standings. 7 spots for players from the Japan Golf Tour money list through Bridgestone Open and the top 3 finishers in the Bridgestone Open. 8 sponsor exemptions.

The old CIMB had a similar set up. Same 60 spots for PGA Tour and 8 sponsor exemptions. They had 10 spots for the Asian Tour Order of Merit as it was co-sanctioned with the Asian and PGA Tours.

> @grm24 said:

> > > @grm24 said:

> > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > There's a PGATOUR event being held in Japan in, I think November (before or after the Japan Open??), **and the commentators this last week said he might be able get eligibility to play in it. Not sure how, but that's what they were saying.**

> > > Sponsor exemption.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > That makes sense.

> Did a little research for the ZOZO field. Co-sanctiond between the PGA Tour and Japan Golf Tour. 78 players. 60 spots for PGA Tour players taken from the recent Fed Ex Cup standings. 7 spots for players from the Japan Golf Tour money list through Bridgestone Open and the top 3 finishers in the Bridgestone Open. 8 sponsor exemptions.

>

> The old CIMB had a similar set up. Same 60 spots for PGA Tour and 8 sponsor exemptions. They had 10 spots for the Asian Tour Order of Merit as it was co-sanctioned with the Asian and PGA Tours.

If there are 7 spots for the Japan Tour players, Ishikawa is pretty much a lock as he's leading at the moment by a fair bit.

I saw that McIlroy and Jason Day have committed to the ZOZO, and (perhaps less surprisingly) Matsuyama is also going to play. Good to see some big names appearing.

> > @grm24 said:

> > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > There's a PGATOUR event being held in Japan in, I think November (before or after the Japan Open??), **and the commentators this last week said he might be able get eligibility to play in it. Not sure how, but that's what they were saying.**

> > > > Sponsor exemption.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > That makes sense.

> > Did a little research for the ZOZO field. Co-sanctiond between the PGA Tour and Japan Golf Tour. 78 players. 60 spots for PGA Tour players taken from the recent Fed Ex Cup standings. 7 spots for players from the Japan Golf Tour money list through Bridgestone Open and the top 3 finishers in the Bridgestone Open. 8 sponsor exemptions.

> >

> > The old CIMB had a similar set up. Same 60 spots for PGA Tour and 8 sponsor exemptions. They had 10 spots for the Asian Tour Order of Merit as it was co-sanctioned with the Asian and PGA Tours.

>

> If there are 7 spots for the Japan Tour players, Ishikawa is pretty much a lock as he's leading at the moment by a fair bit.

> I saw that McIlroy and Jason Day have committed to the ZOZO, and (perhaps less surprisingly) Matsuyama is also going to play. **Good to see some big names appearing.**

Should be a really good field. Especially since Tiger is playing. Tiger, Rory, JDay and Hideki are also appearing in a Skins Game event right before the ZOZO.

I'm sure the PGA money and appearance fees will make Japan a nice relaxing trip for the big names.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @grm24 said:

> > > @grm24 said:

> > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > > There's a PGATOUR event being held in Japan in, I think November (before or after the Japan Open??), **and the commentators this last week said he might be able get eligibility to play in it. Not sure how, but that's what they were saying.**

> > > > > Sponsor exemption.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > That makes sense.

> > > Did a little research for the ZOZO field. Co-sanctiond between the PGA Tour and Japan Golf Tour. 78 players. 60 spots for PGA Tour players taken from the recent Fed Ex Cup standings. 7 spots for players from the Japan Golf Tour money list through Bridgestone Open and the top 3 finishers in the Bridgestone Open. 8 sponsor exemptions.

> > >

> > > The old CIMB had a similar set up. Same 60 spots for PGA Tour and 8 sponsor exemptions. They had 10 spots for the Asian Tour Order of Merit as it was co-sanctioned with the Asian and PGA Tours.

> >

> > If there are 7 spots for the Japan Tour players, Ishikawa is pretty much a lock as he's leading at the moment by a fair bit.

> > I saw that McIlroy and Jason Day have committed to the ZOZO, and (perhaps less surprisingly) Matsuyama is also going to play. **Good to see some big names appearing.**

>

> Should be a really good field. Especially since Tiger is playing.

Hah, I missed that! The site I glanced at didn't mention Tiger at all, which is a bit odd. Just looked at the ZOZO tournament site though, and his picture's right at the front.

In a video message, Rory says he's "looking forward to playing a little golf". So no plans for the weekend, then.... :D

• Like 1

> > @grm24 said:

> > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > > > There's a PGATOUR event being held in Japan in, I think November (before or after the Japan Open??), **and the commentators this last week said he might be able get eligibility to play in it. Not sure how, but that's what they were saying.**

> > > > > > Sponsor exemption.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > That makes sense.

> > > > Did a little research for the ZOZO field. Co-sanctiond between the PGA Tour and Japan Golf Tour. 78 players. 60 spots for PGA Tour players taken from the recent Fed Ex Cup standings. 7 spots for players from the Japan Golf Tour money list through Bridgestone Open and the top 3 finishers in the Bridgestone Open. 8 sponsor exemptions.

> > > >

> > > > The old CIMB had a similar set up. Same 60 spots for PGA Tour and 8 sponsor exemptions. They had 10 spots for the Asian Tour Order of Merit as it was co-sanctioned with the Asian and PGA Tours.

> > >

> > > If there are 7 spots for the Japan Tour players, Ishikawa is pretty much a lock as he's leading at the moment by a fair bit.

> > > I saw that McIlroy and Jason Day have committed to the ZOZO, and (perhaps less surprisingly) Matsuyama is also going to play. **Good to see some big names appearing.**

> >

> > Should be a really good field. Especially since Tiger is playing.

>

> Hah, I missed that! The site I glanced at didn't mention Tiger at all, which is a bit odd. Just looked at the ZOZO tournament site though, and his picture's right at the front.

>

> In a video message, Rory says he's "looking forward to playing a little golf". So no plans for the weekend, then.... :D

Since it's a no cut event hopefully Rory doesn't get a sore tooth and W/D. ;)

> I didn't see that it was a no-cut event. Is that normal for a non-WGC event?

>

Yes it is for a limited field PGA Tour sanctioned event. The CJ Cup and The CIMB are/were 78 player events with no cut as is the ZOZO. The start of the CIMB event had smaller fields that had no cut that eventually built up to 78 players. The smaller no cut fields with a huge purse that offer high OWGR points in the fall wrap around PGA Tour season help get some of the bigger names to play in them.

> @Golfjack said:

> I'm sure the PGA money and appearance fees will make Japan a nice relaxing trip for the big names.

There is also due to be a skins game in Japan with Tiger, Rory, Hideki and Jason Day to be played three days before the event.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @grm24 said:

> > I didn't see that it was a no-cut event. Is that normal for a non-WGC event?

> >

> Yes it is for a limited field PGA Tour sanctioned event. The CJ Cup and The CIMB are/were 78 player events with no cut as is the ZOZO. The start of the CIMB event had smaller fields that had no cut that eventually built up to 78 players. The smaller no cut fields with a huge purse that offer high OWGR points in the fall wrap around PGA Tour season help get some of the bigger names to play in them.

>

Thank you. I can see the need for these events to get the big names to play. Having seen the field, I'd really like to go, but it's too far from me, and I'll be going to the Japan Open the week before, which is being held near me.

Funny to see the size of the ZOZO Championship purse compared to the Japan Open one: five times bigger!

> @iBanesto said:

> Koepka has played the Dunlop Phoenix event in Japan for the last 3 years.

>

> Will he play in the Zozo?

I expect he'll be defending the week before at the CJ Cup (also a no cut event) so if he was intending to play in Japan I think he would have committed by now. Sergio and Bubba have now been confirmed according to the tournament twitter.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]