Which clubs would you carry at a minimum?

jordan2240

I am not a good golfer, and have resigned myself to the fact I never will be. In an effort to make the game more fun for myself and minimize the decisions I have to make during the round, I've decided to lighten the load with regard to the clubs I carry. At present, I've decided to try going with irons 4, 6, 7, and PW, my driver and mini-driver, and putter. I rarely hit a green in regulation, and don't hit my irons consistently well enough to pinpoint distances, but I do chip a lot with my 7, and find the 6 works well on the par 3s of the course I normally play, which is why I've kept both of those in. I hit the 4 decently most of the time, and also use it when I have to get back into fairways or try to roll one onto the green from under trees. The mini-driver works well as a driver and a three-wood, and the driver - well, I just can't bare to part with it no matter how inconsistent I am with that club 'cause it's just fun to try to pound one at times. In time I might change the configuration if I find it isn't working for me, but just wondering what others would play if they were to pare their bags down to the absolute fewest number of clubs they could still get around most courses with.

Depending on the course I could carry 6-8 and probably get on fine. Honestly I should probably play a round with that many clubs one day and see what happens.

Edit: Should probably mention the clubs and this is the bare min for me.

* Driver, 3W or Hybrid

* 5i, 7i, 9i, 56° and putter

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Currently playing with all 13 of my clubs because I’ve got some tournaments this month. But starting next month I will go back to 9 clubs, makes the bag a lot lighter and easier to carry. It’s also more fun to play shots in between clubs. That setup is D, 4w, 3 driving iron, 5,7,9 irons, 52, 58, Putter.

My home course is pretty short, so as long as I have 52, 58, and putter I can really mix and match the other clubs and have a few as 7 or 8 and I will probably still score about the same. It’s fun to change it up.

I don’t understand minimalist golf. I’d never step on a course with less than 14 clubs.

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

When I walk 9, I trim my clubs down to the most versatile (which mostly also implies consistent). I play my Original One Mini Driver as my driver and strictly as a tee club, then I go 4 & 5 hybrid, 7, 8, 9, PW, a 58° wedge (I normally carry AW, 56° & 60°) and my putter.

For you, driver or mini driver, putter, for sure, after that your choices are suspect. A 5 wood instead your mini from the fairway and a hybrid instead of the 4 iron are better choices. Odd clubs only is old school and still a valid choice, but if I didn't do 7-PW, I'd go 6, 8, PW and drop my 5 hybrid. You've got to have a wedge you can use around the green, bunkers and trouble and a PW is definitely not it. Think 56° +.

So to sum it up, since you're dead set in your ways. try a 4 hybrid instead of the 4 iron. And add that real wedge.

My "full" set at the moment is 6 [or 7] clubs (D,H,6,8,PW,[54],Pu), but half the time I trot around with 4 (H,8,PW,Pu).

Tactics and course management make a bigger difference than whether I'm carrying a driver, and putting with an iron is way easier than you'd think,

Take whatever makes it fun. Some of my most enjoyable games have been with one (6i) or two (H,PW) clubs only.

bm

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> I don’t understand minimalist golf. I’d never step on a course with less than 14 clubs.

For a tournament or serious round, yes. For a practice round it's a great idea from time to time to run around with just a few irons or minimal clubs - it keeps your shot-making skills sharp.

Driver, 17h 23h, 6-8-pw-54*, putter. PING moon lite bag. Scores are no different with this set up as opposed to carrying 14 clubs.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

> @mootrail said:

> When I walk 9, I trim my clubs down to the most versatile (which mostly also implies consistent). I play my Original One Mini Driver as my driver and strictly as a tee club, then I go 4 & 5 hybrid, 7, 8, 9, PW, a 58° wedge (I normally carry AW, 56° & 60°) and my putter.

>

> For you, driver or mini driver, putter, for sure, after that your choices are suspect. A 5 wood instead your mini from the fairway and a hybrid instead of the 4 iron are better choices. Odd clubs only is old school and still a valid choice, but if I didn't do 7-PW, I'd go 6, 8, PW and drop my 5 hybrid. You've got to have a wedge you can use around the green, bunkers and trouble and a PW is definitely not it. Think 56° +.

>

> So to sum it up, since you're dead set in your ways. try a 4 hybrid instead of the 4 iron. And add that real wedge.

Thanks for the suggestions (by the way, I assume you meant to type 'since you're NOT dead set in your ways'). The only hybrid I have is a 3, and I tend to hit my 4 iron a bit better. Will be playing my first round with my minimalist set-up today, so will see what happens. I did throw the 55 sand wedge back in.

> @jordan2240 said:

> > @PowderedToastMan said:

> > I don’t understand minimalist golf. I’d never step on a course with less than 14 clubs.

>

> In theory, I see two advantages. one, fewer decisions to make, and two, becoming more proficient with a few clubs rather than trying to master all. But it's just a theory.

I would never play with less than all 14. Is there really much difference in becoming more proficient with a 6 7 or 8 iron? Seems like clubs lump into large groups to me not individual sticks. Practice irons, practice wedges and practice woods and you should be able to hit all your clubs. Maybe I could understand dumping long irons if you can't hit them, or maybe not bothering with a lob wedge if it scares you. But I would always replace it with something I can hit. Decisions on the course should feel pretty instinctual if you have a decent amount of experience with your clubs. If you have less clubs it would seem to me you have more decisions to make, do you club up or club down on in between yardages? How can you add more yards, or cut them off in addition to all the normal things that factor into a golf shot? With your setup how do you get out of a deep bunker? What do you do for a 130 yard shot with no 8 or 9 iron?

Titleist TSI2 9.0 Tensei 1k White 50 TX
Ping G430 Max 3w Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 19 Hybrid Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist TSI2 4 Hybrid Tenseit White 90x
Titleist T200 5 Iron PX 6.5

Titleist T100S 6-PW PX 6.5

Vokey SM8 49 PX 6.5 SM8 54 PX 6.5
Taylormade Hi toe 60 KBS tour V 115
Toulon Atlanta 35"

I would never do it for no reason, but at a MINIMUM - 3W, 6i, 8i, PW, 60w, Putter could get me through any course with some odd swings and a few extra strokes I'm sure.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @jordan2240 said:

> I am not a good golfer, and have resigned myself to the fact I never will be. ...

Have you been playing for very long? If you are self-taught, you might take a couple of lessons to get your swing stabilized. A good instructor can help you with your set-up and point out any _bad moves_ that really hurt you.

If by chance your irons are a bad fit for you - too long, too short, wrong lie angle, wrong grip thickness - an instructor could point this out. I wonder if this is a problem with your irons, as you seem to hit the longer-shafted mini-driver better.

> In an effort to make the game **more fun** for myself - _a lesson can help you do this_ - and minimize the decisions I have to make during the round, I've decided to lighten the load with regard to the clubs I carry.

> At present, I've decided to try going with irons 4, 6, 7, and PW, my driver and mini-driver, and putter. ...

From what you say about the mini-driver, go with it and leave the "big driver" at home. The mini-driver is about the same as the old 2-wood, or brassie, which many high HDCP players and seniors used off the tee in the persimmon wood era.

After you have a couple of lessons, you might beef up your irons with 8i, 9i and SW.

And, keep us posted on your progress!

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Long thread on minimalist golf https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/932270/starting-a-new-adventure-minimalist-golf/p1

For those that 'wouldn't dare step on a course without 14', are you scared you're not good enough to play with fewer clubs, or scared to admit you're not good enough? Playing with a smaller set is actually quite fun and makes you think your way around a course more rather than just pulling X club off the tee or what ever. Are you finding the game is just too easy with your 14 clubs? Usually, better players like to challenge themselves as it leads to growth rather than stagnate/generic repetetive swings (speaking more for Am's than those who play for money), tho Bubba did play an entire round with just a hybrid, but what a silly idea not playing with a full 14 club set, what on earth could he be thinking...

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

When I went from 14 to 8, it was from a carrying and weight perspective.

That being said, my scores have dropped since going to 8 clubs.

The big key here, try things. Play the way that you get the most value out of playing. For me it's with eight clubs, for some it's less, for others its 14 (or more lol). Just get the most out of our great game.

Just remember, Chick Evan's beat Bobby J once with 7 clubs. BJ said (something to the ways of), better to be intimately familiar with 7 clubs than vaguely familiar with 14.

Thousands of ways to shoot a good score and have fun.

Well, after today's round (in which I did not keep score), I've come to two conclusions. One, I should probably game my mini-driver and leave the driver at home. Hit the driver further when I hit it well, but I hit the mini well much more consistently, and nearly as far. And two, I don't think I missed having any particular club, but since I use a push cart rather than carrying my bag, I might as well leave them all in the bag since I did pay for all of them after all, and might as well have that nine iron when I think it's the better choice, for example, rather than trying to push a PW or soft an 8. If I were carrying, however, I'd probably get along quite well with mini, 5, 7, 9, SW, and putter, and perhaps the 3H. Thanks for all the responses. I do agree with 'gwelfgulfer' that better players might enjoy the occasional challenge of dropping down to, say, 5 clubs and going from there.

> @gwelfgulfer said:

> Long thread on minimalist golf https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/932270/starting-a-new-adventure-minimalist-golf/p1

>

> For those that 'wouldn't dare step on a course without 14', are you scared you're not good enough to play with fewer clubs, or scared to admit you're not good enough? Playing with a smaller set is actually quite fun and makes you think your way around a course more rather than just pulling X club off the tee or what ever. Are you finding the game is just too easy with your 14 clubs? Usually, better players like to challenge themselves as it leads to growth rather than stagnate/generic repetetive swings (speaking more for Am's than those who play for money), tho Bubba did play an entire round with just a hybrid, but what a silly idea not playing with a full 14 club set, what on earth could he be thinking...

I would not be scared to play with less, I am pretty confident in my abilities to manipulate my shots. But why would I ever force myself to do that more than I have to? I am lucky to play once a week. Maybe if I was some rich country club player who plays the same course three or four times a week I could see a need to spice it up. Or if there was a tournament with this type of restriction it might be fun as a one off thing. But I play a different course every weekend. I want all 14 clubs because I don't know every shot I am going to hit that day already. So I just don't see the value in practicing a more extreme version of what is necessary on the course. Even with 14 clubs you sill have make all sorts of adjustments, not every shot is a stock yardage. I practice that type of stuff on the range, then try my best and fail with 14 on the course anyway.

Titleist TSI2 9.0 Tensei 1k White 50 TX
Ping G430 Max 3w Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 19 Hybrid Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist TSI2 4 Hybrid Tenseit White 90x
Titleist T200 5 Iron PX 6.5

Titleist T100S 6-PW PX 6.5

Vokey SM8 49 PX 6.5 SM8 54 PX 6.5
Taylormade Hi toe 60 KBS tour V 115
Toulon Atlanta 35"

I think you should consider a high lofted wedge... learning touch around the greens will help your game a huge amount.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I just did a fun experiment:

Showed up at the range for a practice session with my fun set of blades but forgot the range closes on Monday for range maintenance. Decided to go walk the front 9 and play 2 balls, REALLY FAST (started at 7:15, sunset at 8:24). Only had 3 iron, 7-PW, 52/58. No putter. No driver. 3350 yards, Par 36 for the 9 holes.

I'm playing to a 7 right now, and this was the first time out really with the blades alone. Shot 40 and 41 with the two balls. And not having a putter certainly contributed to a few 3 putts.

What I learned here:

I don't need Driver very much. Hit one 3 iron with a huge kick/roll about 270 down wind (410 yard par 4, had 131 to pin).

Having a putter is huge.

I can realistically play blades. I was able to flight a 7 iron into a 2 club wind and keep it high and land soft short of a back right pin. Then decided to play it a little farther back and hit a punching 7 iron, wound up pin high. Same club, two shots, perfect trajectory.

I just may have to add a few blades to my set. Uh oh.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue

Titleist TSi2 3W, 5W Ventus TR Blue

Callaway Apex CB 4-PW DG 120

Titleist Vokey SM9 50/55/60 Oban CT 115

Ping PLD Anser

> @mxskier said:

> I just did a fun experiment:

>

> Showed up at the range for a practice session with my fun set of blades but forgot the range closes on Monday for range maintenance. Decided to go walk the front 9 and play 2 balls, REALLY FAST (started at 7:15, sunset at 8:24). Only had 3 iron, 7-PW, 52/58. No putter. No driver. 3350 yards, Par 36 for the 9 holes.

>

> I'm playing to a 7 right now, and this was the first time out really with the blades alone. Shot 40 and 41 with the two balls. And not having a putter certainly contributed to a few 3 putts.

>

> What I learned here:

>

> I don't need Driver very much. Hit one 3 iron with a huge kick/roll about 270 down wind (410 yard par 4, had 131 to pin).

> Having a putter is huge.

> I can realistically play blades. I was able to flight a 7 iron into a 2 club wind and keep it high and land soft short of a back right pin. Then decided to play it a little farther back and hit a punching 7 iron, wound up pin high. Same club, two shots, perfect trajectory.

>

> I just may have to add a few blades to my set. Uh oh.

I imagine if most golfers kept track of what clubs they normally hit well, they'd find they could get around the course quite well with far fewer than they do.

> @gwelfgulfer said:

> Long thread on minimalist golf https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/932270/starting-a-new-adventure-minimalist-golf/p1

>

> For those that 'wouldn't dare step on a course without 14', are you scared you're not good enough to play with fewer clubs, or scared to admit you're not good enough?

I'm sorry, that's a really narrow minded and condescending comment - not necessary mate. For those who take the game seriously who bag 14, of course they wouldn't play a tournament round without their 14 - it allows them to play their natural game. This thread is not solely talking about competition rounds, of course it's a good idea to go out and practice with less than normal clubs to stay sharp.

But like mbarnocki said above, if I'm playing a new course or one I haven't played in a while, no way would I go out with anything but a normal set up if that is 14.

Keeping the thread on topic, I could probably do a 3 club event with 3 iron / 7 iron / GW - sounds like good fun.