I had fun today

It was a nice day (30*C), no clouds to speak of and I was getting the golf itch as I haven't played in a week. I called my local muni track and down I went for a 3:20pm tee off. I got paired with a father and young teenage son; the father has barely played in recent years and the son looked like he really didn't want to be there but was on a bonding experiment with the dad and he too had barely played. They did everything that everyone complains about on golf forums. We were pretty slow, 2:15 for the three of us for 9 with no one in front of us. They hacked it around losing at least 1 ball per hole. They never knew where their ball went. Getting a ball airborne for more than 75-80 yards was a miracle, let alone a shot that was halfway on target. I think they two-putted once with the rest being 4 putts. I didn't play particularly great (6-over on a pretty tame track for 9) but the company was fun.

I think what really made it enjoyable was the dad genuinely enjoyed being out and playing golf. He said he knew he was never going to be a pro (no **** sherlock) but what he said stuck with me. He said he legitimately enjoyed every single shot he hit on a golf course. It was the thrill of just being out there that he enjoyed and seeing the ball getting closer to the green and flag, regardless if it was a good or bad shot. I gave him a tip with his 3 wood, as him and the son had both broken theirs in a previous game (not intentionally he emphasized) that he should hit it off his front toe as he kept skying it. Like comical straight underneath it going more up than it goes forward type skied balls. His shot after the tip was flushed like 165 and in the fairway. He was so excited like I had just told him he had won 2 million dollars and said that it was almost like fate that we got paired together so I could give him this tip to help him. I don't think he really meant it as a religious kind of divine intervention, more like it was awesome to finally make clean contact kind of revelation and nobody had ever bothered to tell him what to do before. I told him to hit it more off of the middle of his stance with his irons and his iron game improved a bit on the last couple of holes. He was very proud of the full set of Callaway X-18s and matching BB04 Titanium 3 and 5 woods he got from China from a friend that is an airline pilot for $100, proudly claiming that had he bought them in North America he would have paid well over $1000. I just smiled and said "what a great find!"

I had fun today. I sucked and couldn't hit a putt to save my life. I hit some great wedge shots and the driver was crushed finally after a little bit of shaft roulette. I had fun today because of the father's infectious love for a game that he was really not very good at and was just enjoying an afternoon out with his son on the course. We parted ways at 9 as they roared up to the club house on their cart to get some food at the turn and we parted with a warm handshake and a wave goodbye. I had fun for the first time on a golf course in a long time and I think it will stick with me for a while to just go out and be appreciative that I have the option to go out and chase a white ball around a park.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Seeing pure joy in other golfers is always nice

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @phatchrisrules said:

> It was a nice day (30*C), no clouds to speak of and I was getting the golf itch as I haven't played in a week. I called my local muni track and down I went for a 3:20pm tee off. I got paired with a father and young teenage son; the father has barely played in recent years and the son looked like he really didn't want to be there but was on a bonding experiment with the dad and he too had barely played. They did everything that everyone complains about on golf forums. We were pretty slow, 2:15 for the three of us for 9 with no one in front of us. They hacked it around losing at least 1 ball per hole. They never knew where their ball went. Getting a ball airborne for more than 75-80 yards was a miracle, let alone a shot that was halfway on target. I think they two-putted once with the rest being 4 putts. I didn't play particularly great (6-over on a pretty tame track for 9) but the company was fun.

>

> I think what really made it enjoyable was the dad genuinely enjoyed being out and playing golf. He said he knew he was never going to be a pro (no **** sherlock) but what he said stuck with me. He said he legitimately enjoyed every single shot he hit on a golf course. It was the thrill of just being out there that he enjoyed and seeing the ball getting closer to the green and flag, regardless if it was a good or bad shot. I gave him a tip with his 3 wood, as him and the son had both broken theirs in a previous game (not intentionally he emphasized) that he should hit it off his front toe as he kept skying it. Like comical straight underneath it going more up than it goes forward type skied balls. His shot after the tip was flushed like 165 and in the fairway. He was so excited like I had just told him he had won 2 million dollars and said that it was almost like fate that we got paired together so I could give him this tip to help him. I don't think he really meant it as a religious kind of divine intervention, more like it was awesome to finally make clean contact kind of revelation and nobody had ever bothered to tell him what to do before. I told him to hit it more off of the middle of his stance with his irons and his iron game improved a bit on the last couple of holes. He was very proud of the full set of Callaway X-18s and matching BB04 Titanium 3 and 5 woods he got from China from a friend that is an airline pilot for $100, proudly claiming that had he bought them in North America he would have paid well over $1000. I just smiled and said "what a great find!"

>

> I had fun today. I sucked and couldn't hit a putt to save my life. I hit some great wedge shots and the driver was crushed finally after a little bit of shaft roulette. I had fun today because of the father's infectious love for a game that he was really not very good at and was just enjoying an afternoon out with his son on the course. We parted ways at 9 as they roared up to the club house on their cart to get some food at the turn and we parted with a warm handshake and a wave goodbye. I had fun for the first time on a golf course in a long time and I think it will stick with me for a while to just go out and be appreciative that I have the option to go out and chase a white ball around a park.

It was this things like this that encouraged me to continue playing years ago!

I have been on both sides of this story, I just figure its best to have fun and enjoy the beauty of the game and scenery around. I have occasionally offered small tips if I can see something easy and can tell they are getting frustrated by it and usually it helps and they feel some relief and start having a better time again

I remember once being paired up with a gentleman in his 50's. Said he was pretty new to golf and looked the part; no-frills carry bag, 90's oversized irons, nondescript woods (possibly original big berthas). His handicap, which he proudly stated he had just started keeping, was in the 30's.

So we play a couple holes and I'm doing ok by my standards (on my way to a round in the 80's), and my gentleman is playing like the OP's father (on his way to a round in the 110-20's). On the 5th hole or so he hits a ball into a bunker and starts digging away trying to get it out. After 5 attempts he sighed and said "That's enough" and picked up the ball, before telling me 'you go ahead and finish up and I'll go to the next one, I don't want to hold you up." It was said in a tired, disappointed tone.

We were some of the only players on the course, with at least 2-3 holes ahead or behind to any other group. So I said, "Sir, if you want to pick up that's fine, but I'm not too worried about speed right now, and if you want to keep trying from the bunker, or drop it outside the bunker and play on, or whatever you like, it's fine with me." With that the man smiled and dropped the ball back down in the sand and pulled his wedge with a determined look.

I'd like to say he holed it on his next shot, but he took 3-4 more swings from the bunker before saying "I like your drop it outside the bunker idea!" and then played on from there. After the drop he hit a pitch to 4 feet and remarked 'I've never hit one that close before!' before confidently draining the putt for a 15(?) We agreed to not try to count it.

There is something nice about sitting back and just enjoying your time on the golf course, and that includes playing with those who have just taken up the game. Hat's off to the OP for taking positive approach to something where a number of us on these forums would have just walked off the course.

i didn't have fun today. thought i had turned a corner with my swing..got invited to an exclusive club and forgot all my fun...damentals.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Thank you, everyone. I surely didn't mean this to gloat on myself. I was more gearing this towards having a positive mindset and just enjoying the round no matter what gets thrown at me. I mean, I'm still not going to be as bad as him, right? :D

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Didn't know my brother in law has kids. That is what it is like everytime he plays.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

> @phatchrisrules said:

> Thank you, everyone. I surely didn't mean this to gloat on myself. I was more gearing this towards having a positive mindset and just enjoying the round no matter what gets thrown at me. I mean, I'm still not going to be as bad as him, right? :D

The most fun and the most rewarding aspects of Golf is the human interaction.

Regardless of what I shoot, I always remember the good people I get to play with. While everyone plays badly compared to their own personal standards, a fun round with good people can erase all concerns about numbers.

Even if I play poorly, I still value every round with my dad like gold. I feel so lucky.....