2019 The Evian Championship Jul 25 - 28

**Race to the CME Globe:** 625 Points

**Format:** 72 holes

**Purse:** $4,100,000

**Par:** 71

**Yardage:** 6,523

**History:** This is the 20th year as an LPGA event, and the 7th year as a major. In 2018, Angela Stanford closed her round of 3-under 68 with eagle-double bogey-birdie then a barely missed birdie to win the Evian Championship by one-stroke over Austin Ernst, Mo Martin, Sei Young Kin and Amy Olson for her sixth career victory and first major championship.

**Coverage:**

Jul 25: The Golf Channel 5:00 am - 7:00 am (ET)

Jul 25: The Golf Channel 9:30 am - 11:30 am (ET)

Jul 26: The Golf Channel 5:00 am - 7:00 am (ET)

Jul 26: The Golf Channel 9:30 am - 11:30 am (ET)

Jul 27: The Golf Channel 6:00 am - 9:00 am (ET)

Jul 27: CNBC 9:00 am - 11:30 am (ET)

Jul 28: The Golf Channel 6:00 am - 9:00 am (ET)

Jul 28: CNBC 9:00 am - 11:30 am (ET)

![](https://www.lpga.com/-/media/images/lpga/tournaments/evian-championship/overview-page-images/2016eviancoursemap_2000.jpg "")

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I really like this tournament. The "5th Major" has a lot going for it. The scenery is nice too. I'd like to go there one day.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I wonder how the course is going to play vs. the typical downpours of recent years? In the past, it seemed like it was basically all carry off the tee. Some of these green complexes are quite slopped though, which could be very tough if you miss the green (offset by more opportunities with shorter clubs in to the green).

The 18th hole here is also great. Maybe almost too hard. If you miss the fairway it's basically not worth going for it (especially out of wet rough) unless you had to make a 3. Sometimes I feel like the ladies have less extremely long, very hard par 4s than the men's game. I think this hole would be about equal to a 500 yard par 4 on the PGA tour. Maybe the difference is absent U.S. Open like rough, a lot of the guys are still playing a 500 yard hole with driver and 5-iron/6-iron. I.e. even if they miss the fairway they have enough speed so they can still hack the ball up towards the green somewhere.

> @agolf1 said:

> I wonder how the course is going to play vs. the typical downpours of recent years? In the past, it seemed like it was basically all carry off the tee. Some of these green complexes are quite slopped though, which could be very tough if you miss the green (offset by more opportunities with shorter clubs in to the green).

>

> The 18th hole here is also great. Maybe almost too hard. If you miss the fairway it's basically not worth going for it (especially out of wet rough) unless you had to make a 3. Sometimes I feel like the ladies have less extremely long, very hard par 4s than the men's game. I think this hole would be about equal to a 500 yard par 4 on the PGA tour. Maybe the difference is absent U.S. Open like rough, a lot of the guys are still playing a 500 yard hole with driver and 5-iron/6-iron. I.e. even if they miss the fairway they have enough speed so they can still hack the ball up towards the green somewhere.

I like the 18th, but I'm one who likes the finishing hole to take from your score rather than give to it, especially in a major. I like the holes that put a premium on driving, hit a bad drive and you most liikely have to lay up and brings bogey into play. Watching eagles on the 18th gets to be too much unless you're a Lexi fan lol

> @Stooch said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > I wonder how the course is going to play vs. the typical downpours of recent years? In the past, it seemed like it was basically all carry off the tee. Some of these green complexes are quite slopped though, which could be very tough if you miss the green (offset by more opportunities with shorter clubs in to the green).

> >

> > The 18th hole here is also great. Maybe almost too hard. If you miss the fairway it's basically not worth going for it (especially out of wet rough) unless you had to make a 3. Sometimes I feel like the ladies have less extremely long, very hard par 4s than the men's game. I think this hole would be about equal to a 500 yard par 4 on the PGA tour. Maybe the difference is absent U.S. Open like rough, a lot of the guys are still playing a 500 yard hole with driver and 5-iron/6-iron. I.e. even if they miss the fairway they have enough speed so they can still hack the ball up towards the green somewhere.

>

> I like the 18th, but I'm one who likes the finishing hole to take from your score rather than give to it, especially in a major. I like the holes that put a premium on driving, hit a bad drive and you most liikely have to lay up and brings bogey into play. Watching eagles on the 18th gets to be too much unless you're a Lexi fan lol

[https://lpga.com/news/2019-the-magical-history-of-the-evian-championship](https://www.lpga.com/news/2019-the-magical-history-of-the-evian-championship "https://lpga.com/news/2019-the-magical-history-of-the-evian-championship")

“Fans and players will be treated to a new back-nine par configuration on holes 13 and 18,” Daly-Donofrio says. “No. 13 shifts to a very difficult par-4 with a narrow landing area and an approach shot requiring a mid-to-long iron into an undulating green. No. 18 returns to a par-5, creating risk and reward opportunities for the players and additional excitement for the fans. Look for these changes to bring some major swings to the scoreboard on championship Sunday.”

![](https://www.lpga.com/-/media/images/lpga/tournaments/evian-championship/2015/pre-tournament/15_09_trophy_487360316_2000x1125.jpg?h=1125&la=en&w=2000&hash=07BC6C612F8024CB6BD1048FCA70A90D3CDC648C "")

• Like 1

[https://golfweek.com/2019/07/22/golf-lpga-prepares-back-to-back-majors/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=recirc-latest](https://golfweek.com/2019/07/22/golf-lpga-prepares-back-to-back-majors/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=recirc-latest "https://golfweek.com/2019/07/22/golf-lpga-prepares-back-to-back-majors/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=recirc-latest")

"The past 11 LPGA majors have been won by 11 different players. There have been long-awaited victors, like then 40-year-old Angela Stanford, as well as long-shots like Hannah Green and Pernilla Lindberg. World-beaters like former No. 1s Ariya Jutanugarn and Sung Hyun Park and a rookie in Jeongeun Lee6. A homegrown favorite in Georgia Hall at Royal Lytham and a heart-warming tale of redemption in In-Kyung Kim."

• Like 1

ha ha and there's goes the only saving grace from this event for me. I hate it being the 5th major and now it brings these feelings back to the forefront. I shouldn't be surprised this is the same crew that cancelled a round when players were at the 9th hole and cut a major to 54 holes. I shouldn't be surprised they are turning many Majors in to cupcake events especially om the Men's side, I gotta listen to all the male snowflakes whine about how hard and unfair the US Opens are, I'm sure the guy digging ditches for 15 bucks an hour hour feels your pain lol

I can't believe how mad making the 18th a par 5 has made me lol well rant over!

> @Stooch said:

> ha ha and there's goes the only saving grace from this event for me. I hate it being the 5th major and now it brings these feelings back to the forefront. I shouldn't be surprised this is the same crew that cancelled a round when players were at the 9th hole and cut a major to 54 holes. I shouldn't be surprised they are turning many Majors in to cupcake events especially om the Men's side, I gotta listen to all the male snowflakes whine about how hard and unfair the US Opens are, I'm sure the guy digging ditches for 15 bucks an hour hour feels your pain lol

> I can't believe how mad making the 18th a par 5 has made me lol well rant over!

I hear you!

Will you change your mind if Brooke albatross the 18th to win her 2nd major by one shot come Sunday?

Par 4 or par 5 doesn't matter. They're all playing the same course.

It would be nice to see it moved back 2 weeks, with the Women's British Open played the week after the Open Championship, the Scottish Open the following week, and the Evian capping the European swing. I can't image three weeks making a big difference in the weather. Of course the Scottish Open would likely suffer due to its position between the two majors, but it's already suffering with its scheduling after the two majors.

Ballstriking is more important here than distance, with Ai, Jiya, Inbee, Lydia, Ingee, Hyo Joo, and Anna winning in recent years. I'm going with a bit of a sleeper this week, Hyo Joo. She won the tournament in 2014, and generally plays well here. She's been in contention for a few weeks now with 8 top 10s in ten events this year, so perhaps she's due. Jin Young should also be a factor.

Weather forecast looks decent. There's a chance of showers and a t-storm on Saturday. Note that the weekend coverage is on CNBC. Check your DVR settings.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I just think the Scottish after the Women's Open is kind of stupid. I would want to play this event just because the courses are different. Other than you're already in town, I really don't know why anyone would play it this year or in between the two. Of course, many people don't want to play the week before a major and some do just fine at the Open proving there isn't any need for links golf tune up.

Also, going Scottish-Women's Open-Off Week-Evian would still probably have people complaining about back-to-back majors. I'm not a meteorologist, so I don't know how far they could push it back weather wise. But I'm not sure if having it separated from the other European events is a great solution either (although it was this way before).

More reasons to shut it down and award a new Major to South Korea in the fall?

> @agolf1 said:

> I just think the Scottish after the Women's Open is kind of stupid. I would want to play this event just because the courses are different. Other than you're already in town, I really don't know why anyone would play it this year or in between the two. Of course, many people don't want to play the week before a major and some do just fine at the Open proving there isn't any need for links golf tune up.

>

> Also, going Scottish-Women's Open-Off Week-Evian would still probably have people complaining about back-to-back majors. I'm not a meteorologist, so I don't know how far they could push it back weather wise. But I'm not sure if having it separated from the other European events is a great solution either (although it was this way before).

>

> More reasons to shut it down and award a new Major to South Korea in the fall?

Major or not; what I like about Evian is they're the tournament other than USWO who have been proactive in raising the purse for women's golf.

It's because of Evian that we now have 4 tournaments with purses higher than $4.0 million.

I predicted that USWO was going to raise purse this year before they raised it to $5.5 million. I'll predict Evian will raise their purse to $5.1 million so they remain the second highest purse on tour.

There're mistakes but one more article to keep the irons hot:

[https://evianchampionship.com/plus/news/all-news/Ouverture.html](https://www.evianchampionship.com/plus/news/all-news/Ouverture.html "https://evianchampionship.com/plus/news/all-news/Ouverture.html")

"Finally, among the young players, who have always been a priority for the Evian Championship by offering opportunities to the strongest hopefuls in women’s golf, eyes will be on the performance of the 21-year-old American Nelly Korda, Jessica’s younger sister, who has overtaken her older sister in the world rankings. Nelly and Jessica Korda, respectively world number 10 and 15, are still in search of their first major title. The younger sister has produced the best season of her young career. She not only added a second win to her name, but has not missed a cut since Spring 2018. Plus a month ago she finished 3rd at the KPMG Women’s PGA Championship, the most recent major. Korda and Thompson are undoubtedly the USA's best chances to succeed their compatriot Angela Stanford, the victorious winner of an all-american dual with Amy Olson last year."

Ah, the 5th major...

Well let's see here, considering the LET has already played here this year (Jabra Ladies Open) winner Annabel Dimmock, there could be a few LET players lurking in the mix IF big IF, they have the firepower to keep up with the LPGA gals. I`m looking out for Olivia Cowen, Esther Henseleit, and Nuria Iturrioz.

I'm going with Sei Young for her first major win, although my gut say's ShanShan is showing up ready.

I like Mi Yang Lee and Jennifer Song as longshots, and Annabel Dimmock as an even longer shot to win here twice in the same year.

Lexi and Amy Yang, and Nasa should crack the top 15 at least.

> @ChronicSlicer said:

> Ah, the 5th major...

> Well let's see here, considering the LET has already played here this year (Jabra Ladies Open) winner Annabel Dimmock, there could be a few LET players lurking in the mix IF big IF, they have the firepower to keep up with the LPGA gals. I`m looking out for Olivia Cowen, Esther Henseleit, and Nuria Iturrioz.

>

> I'm going with Sei Young for her first major win, although my gut say's ShanShan is showing up ready.

> I like Mi Yang Lee and Jennifer Song as longshots, and Annabel Dimmock as an even longer shot to win here twice in the same year.

> Lexi and Amy Yang, and Nasa should crack the top 15 at least.

I'm doubting that few if any LET will have anything close to the firepower needed. Their games will need to be flawless just to make the cut. Not that anyone will be paying much attention but some of the LET players are very capable of embarrassing themselves and their tour there at Evian.

> @Enduro59 said:

> > @ChronicSlicer said:

> > Ah, the 5th major...

> > Well let's see here, considering the LET has already played here this year (Jabra Ladies Open) winner Annabel Dimmock, there could be a few LET players lurking in the mix IF big IF, they have the firepower to keep up with the LPGA gals. I`m looking out for Olivia Cowen, Esther Henseleit, and Nuria Iturrioz.

> >

> > I'm going with Sei Young for her first major win, although my gut say's ShanShan is showing up ready.

> > I like Mi Yang Lee and Jennifer Song as longshots, and Annabel Dimmock as an even longer shot to win here twice in the same year.

> > Lexi and Amy Yang, and Nasa should crack the top 15 at least.

>

> I'm doubting that few if any LET will have anything close to the firepower needed. Their games will need to be flawless just to make the cut. Not that anyone will be paying much attention but some of the LET players are very capable of embarrassing themselves and their tour there at Evian.

Agreed on the flawless firepower issues. I'm not so sure about embarrassing anyone or the tour, I personally think at the end of the day they know they stand very little chances against players like Lexi, SH Park, Brooke on a week in and week out basis..which is why they are still on the LET.

Not to pick on the LET but the talent pool isn't very deep on a LPGA level, hopefully that could change. Anne Van Dam who was hopefully gonna burst on the LPGA, hasn't even cracked the top 10 yet this year, but won twice last year and once earlier this year on the LET. Where's Georgia? Where's Anna? ( the best Euro since Annika). It's tough over here, just ask Pernilla.

Want to win: So Yeon

But this seems like wishful thinking, so if not I hope one of the better players like Minjee, Nelly, or Sei-Young Kim can get on the major board. Alternatively, there are so many very good players with 1-2 majors. It would be cool to see any of them go on a run the next couple of years and get closer to Yani/Inbee territory.

The TV coverage is goofy. Split coverage on The Golf Channel for the first two rounds, and CNBC on the weekend?