2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Why is the PGA Championship still a Major?

LICC

Some of the discussions on other threads about the compressed Majors schedule shows that a majority of fans seem to like the new schedule, but some are complaining that having the Majors held from April to July is too compressed. These people seem to care almost entirely about the four majors and dismiss the Players Championship and the FedEx playoff tournaments. But why are people so caught up on if a tournament is called a "Major" or not? I love the Open and the US Open because they are national championships with outstanding fields played on usually great courses that you don't often see with different setups and challenges than regular Tour events. I love the Masters for all the reasons that people love the Masters. None if it is because they are called "Majors". And while the PGA at Bethpage was excellent this year, in prior years it really hasn't been anything any more special than any other good Tour event. In most years, I've enjoyed watching the Players Championship more than the PGA and the Tour Championship probably just as much.

So the question- why is the PGA Championship still a "Major"? Historically (prior to 1968), the PGA Championship effectively WAS the Tour Championship, as the Tour was part of the PGA. I think its status as a Major tournament comes directly from the fact that it was the championship tournament of the association that had the greatest golfers in the world. Once the Tour broke off, the PGA Championship no longer is that. The PGA Tour has its own championship tournaments now. The PGA Championship for many years has had 4th rung status among the "Majors".

So then- Why is the PGA Championship still a "Major"?

> @gvogel said:

> Some people like to buck history, others like to uphold it. I'm one of the later.

I don't understand. The PGA Championship can not be "upheld" to what it was historically. It just isn't. The Western Open was a major at one point in time, and now that tournament is part of the Fedex Playoffs. What about "upholding" that history?

• Like 1

Maybe because it's one of the most historic championships, has I believe the second best field they play all year behind the Players as far as top 100 players, and is played on many historic championship courses. There are some courses that are duds but that's true of the US Open as well. Everything about the PGA is major.

• Like 1

The PGA has the strongest field every year.

Why is an invitational a major. Why are the US and British Opens majors but the Canadian, Irish, Australian etc. are not?

Name a regular tour event with a stronger field than the PGA and we can discuss further.

• Like 1

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

The title of "major" was coined by the media many moons ago and it stuck. The powers that be, for whatever reason, took that title and anointed 4 tournament. Now in my ever so humble opinion, any pro tournament, since those are the ones so classified, that does not offer total open competition, should not be classified as a major.

So the Masters, even though some am's qualify, is a limited field by invitation only, because only the national am champions gets invited. No senior am gets the invite nor does any other am champion get included, at least to my knowledge. The PGA is a closed tournament also and so is the Players, so all of them should lose the ability to hold a major title. The both opens can be accessed by anyone who wishes to test their game, so they have the criteria to be a major. Any national tournament that offers access to play your way in, can/should be classified a major. But, having that many majors would certainly impact the games past history and possibly deminish the title of a major. So if we can only have 4 majors, to keep the status quo, what would be the new 4 majors, if we followed those guidelines?

• Like 2

> @"JK Ward" said:

> It has the highest SOF rating of any golf tournament in the world.

Not according to these measures:

https://datagolf.ca/field-strength-table

https://www.pgatour.com/statsreport/2017/09/27/stats-formulas-numbers-golf-strongest-fields.html

It is up there, but so are the Players and the Fedex events.

• Like 1

> @BrianMcG said:

> The PGA has the strongest field every year.

>

> Why is an invitational a major. Why are the US and British Opens majors but the Canadian, Irish, Australian etc. are not?

>

> Name a regular tour event with a stronger field than the PGA and we can discuss further.

It depends how you measure it. Look at what I posted above.

> @BrianMcG said:

> The PGA has the strongest field every year.

>

> Why is an invitational a major. Why are the US and British Opens majors but the Canadian, Irish, Australian etc. are not?

>

> Name a regular tour event with a stronger field than the PGA and we can discuss further.

The Players:

https://datagolf.ca/whats-the-strongest-field-in-professional-golf/

The PGA needs to go back to Match Play IMO .... to find it's niche within the 5 big events. Get Dell to sponsor - everyone's happy

There are so many "big" events nowadays (with the FedEx) and the PGA is the only one of the historically big events that doesn't have "IT" ... YMMV

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

It would be nice to have another non US based major. Demoting the PGA to a regular event would be a bad idea. There is a nice space now later on in the year, something in October could work.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

> @LICC said:

> > @BrianMcG said:

> > The PGA has the strongest field every year.

> >

> > Why is an invitational a major. Why are the US and British Opens majors but the Canadian, Irish, Australian etc. are not?

> >

> > Name a regular tour event with a stronger field than the PGA and we can discuss further.

>

> The Players:

> https://datagolf.ca/whats-the-strongest-field-in-professional-golf/

>

“First, let’s define a measure for field strength; we measure the strength of a field by the quality of the average player in that field. Therefore, our measure does not (necessarily) capture the difficulty of winning an event.”

By this definition, the strongest field in the history of golf was Tiger playing a solo practice round in 2000.

• Like 2

> @Bye said:

> It would be nice to have another non US based major. Demoting the PGA to a regular event would be a bad idea. There is a nice space now later on in the year, something in October could work.

I know the women and seniors do it but no to a 5th major. Major statistics are far too recognized in golf to add a 5th professional major. I like October for the PGA.

It is because it was and still is.

I'll agree that it's a cut below the other three (Masters, US Open, Open). But I don't find anything about the Players, WGCs, FedEx Cup Playoff Events, or the Tour Championship any more compelling than the PGA. So by default, just leave it the way it is.

I also don't think 4 majors in 4 months is the problem. It's that they are trying to make all of the other events more important than they are.

> @disco111 said:

> The title of "major" was coined by the media many moons ago and it stuck. The powers that be, for whatever reason, took that title and anointed 4 tournament. Now in my ever so humble opinion, any pro tournament, since those are the ones so classified, that does not offer total open competition, should not be classified as a major.

> So the Masters, even though some am's qualify, is a limited field by invitation only, because only the national am champions gets invited. No senior am gets the invite nor does any other am champion get included, at least to my knowledge. The PGA is a closed tournament also and so is the Players, so all of them should lose the ability to hold a major title. The both opens can be accessed by anyone who wishes to test their game, so they have the criteria to be a major. Any national tournament that offers access to play your way in, can/should be classified a major. But, having that many majors would certainly impact the games past history and possibly deminish the title of a major. So if we can only have 4 majors, to keep the status quo, what would be the new 4 majors, if we followed those guidelines?

I don't think a tournament has to be an Open to be a major. I understand why the Open and US Open are majors. They are the national championships of the largest golfing region in the world and the land of golf's origin with a tremendous appeal. I see how the Masters has built itself into a major. I don't quite see how the PGA fits. The championship of the top professional golfers of the leading country in the world warrants being a major. The PGA Championship used to be that but hasn't been for over 50 years.

> @LICC said:

> > @"JK Ward" said:

> > It has the highest SOF rating of any golf tournament in the world.

>

> Not according to these measures:

>

> https://datagolf.ca/field-strength-table

> https://www.pgatour.com/statsreport/2017/09/27/stats-formulas-numbers-golf-strongest-fields.html

>

> It is up there, but so are the Players and the Fedex events.

Average player strength is not the same as strength of field.

Ha, if any tournament based on a strength of field argument was to lose it's major status, it would be The Masters!!

Looking at the PGA in terms of status, it is easy to see that it suffers in terms of status in comparison to the other three but for me, it is a step above anything else out there. The PGA is something that I have to watch when it is on, something that I pay a lot of attention to before it starts. Everything else, as a huge golf fan I will of course be interested in and The Players is no different to that but the history of The Players compared to the PGA is nowhere near as stacked plus, the Tour's constant shoving it down our throats does little more than put me off the whole thing rather than thinking it's status should be elevated.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @cdnglf said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @BrianMcG said:

> > > The PGA has the strongest field every year.

> > >

> > > Why is an invitational a major. Why are the US and British Opens majors but the Canadian, Irish, Australian etc. are not?

> > >

> > > Name a regular tour event with a stronger field than the PGA and we can discuss further.

> >

> > The Players:

> > https://datagolf.ca/whats-the-strongest-field-in-professional-golf/

> >

>

> “First, let’s define a measure for field strength; we measure the strength of a field by the quality of the average player in that field. Therefore, our measure does not (necessarily) capture the difficulty of winning an event.”

>

> By this definition, the strongest field in the history of golf was Tiger playing a solo practice round in 2000.

Why do you think the PGA has a stronger field than the Players? They both have a deep roster of the best players in the world. Of course, the Players doesn't also have 20 club pros.

> @Cincy_Ken said:

> > @Bye said:

> > It would be nice to have another non US based major. Demoting the PGA to a regular event would be a bad idea. There is a nice space now later on in the year, something in October could work.

>

> I know the women and seniors do it but no to a 5th major. Major statistics are far too recognized in golf to add a 5th professional major. I like October for the PGA.

Terrible idea. There would be rockbottom ratings.

> @LICC said:

> Some of the discussions on other threads about the compressed Majors schedule shows that a majority of fans seem to like the new schedule, but some are complaining that having the Majors held from April to July is too compressed. These people seem to care almost entirely about the four majors and dismiss the Players Championship and the FedEx playoff tournaments. But why are people so caught up on if a tournament is called a "Major" or not? I love the Open and the US Open because they are national championships with outstanding fields played on usually great courses that you don't often see with different setups and challenges than regular Tour events. I love the Masters for all the reasons that people love the Masters. None if it is because they are called "Majors". And while the PGA at Bethpage was excellent this year, in prior years it really hasn't been anything any more special than any other good Tour event. In most years, I've enjoyed watching the Players Championship more than the PGA and the Tour Championship probably just as much.

> So the question- why is the PGA Championship still a "Major"? Historically (prior to 1968), the PGA Championship effectively WAS the Tour Championship, as the Tour was part of the PGA. I think its status as a Major tournament comes directly from the fact that it was the championship tournament of the association that had the greatest golfers in the world. Once the Tour broke off, the PGA Championship no longer is that. The PGA Tour has its own championship tournaments now. The PGA Championship for many years has had 4th rung status among the "Majors".

> So then- Why is the PGA Championship still a "Major"?

The PGA Championship doesnt have "4th rung status" amongst the players, I can tell you that. Its actually the one major every year that rewards year-round performance for all players, not just the top 50 in the world. The PGA is always held at wonderful courses that are always perfectly maintained. And the purse and winners share at just under $2 million is right there with the other majors, The Players, and the WGC events.

Guys who win PGA Tour events arent guaranteed to even be in the Masters, US Open, or the Open Championship. They are guaranteed to be exempt into the PGA.

> @MattyO1984 said:

> Ha, if any tournament based on a strength of field argument was to lose it's major status, it would be The Masters!!

>

> Looking at the PGA in terms of status, it is easy to see that it suffers in terms of status in comparison to the other three but for me, it is a step above anything else out there. The PGA is something that I have to watch when it is on, something that I pay a lot of attention to before it starts. Everything else, as a huge golf fan I will of course be interested in and The Players is no different to that but the history of The Players compared to the PGA is nowhere near as stacked plus, the Tour's constant shoving it down our throats does little more than put me off the whole thing rather than thinking it's status should be elevated.

That is similar to the post above that said It is because it was. That doesn't tell any reason why. The Players actually has as much history as the championship of the best professional golfers in America as the PGA had before that ended in 1968. Other than the PGA being called a "major", what makes it more compelling to you than the Players?

@JaNelson38 - The PGA has 4th rung status among general golf fans. And while generally all PGA Tour events are held at well-conditioned good courses, the other majors usually are held at outstanding, best-in-the-world at the highest level courses (the USGA had a few missed but usually has incredible venues). The PGA? It's gotten better courses in its rotation but does Quail Hollow, Trump Bedminster, Valhalla, Bellerive, Hazeltine, Atlanta Athletic Club, etc. really make you think of the best courses in the world?

> @LICC said:

> > @cdnglf said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @BrianMcG said:

> > > > The PGA has the strongest field every year.

> > > >

> > > > Why is an invitational a major. Why are the US and British Opens majors but the Canadian, Irish, Australian etc. are not?

> > > >

> > > > Name a regular tour event with a stronger field than the PGA and we can discuss further.

> > >

> > > The Players:

> > > https://datagolf.ca/whats-the-strongest-field-in-professional-golf/

> > >

> >

> > “First, let’s define a measure for field strength; we measure the strength of a field by the quality of the average player in that field. Therefore, our measure does not (necessarily) capture the difficulty of winning an event.”

> >

> > By this definition, the strongest field in the history of golf was Tiger playing a solo practice round in 2000.

>

> Why do you think the PGA has a stronger field than the Players? They both have a deep roster of the best players in the world. Of course, the Players doesn't also have 20 club pros.

My response was to the methodology in your link, which started with a silly definition and ended with a pointless conclusion.

By OWGR, the PGA usually ranks slightly ahead of the Players, but it is pretty much a wash. PGA has the club pros and a few old champs, but it also has a 156 man field to the Players' 144. They both usually have all the top 50 (injuries and family issues aside), but the PGA typically has more of the top 100 because it has more from 51-100. Non-PGA Tour members outside of the OWGR top 50 aren't automatically invited to the Players.

Both are better than the US Open.

I tell you what, the Players will be deemed the 5th major within the next 5 years .... the PGA Tour and NBC and the Golf Channel are working it hard

Even though it only dates back to 1974.

Jack and Tiger will add to their major counts ... Jack to 21

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Silly thread. Reasons are pretty obvious, analysis against non-existent by OP. “Just because I say so.”

And yes, strongest fields and made an effort toward better venues last many years. If you don’t get it, you just don’t have any concept of golf history (LPGA would love your application for employment in its marketing department).

Deane Beman tried from its inception to deem it so, hasn’t worked forever, but I’d say the new Commish is doing his darndest, so never say never.