GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

Was this ever a rule? Ball struck by another ball not being replaced

cmagnusson ·  
cmagnussoncmagnusson Members  584WRX Points: 183Handicap: 14Posts: 584 Golden Tee

Scenario: playing a casual round as a threesome yesterday. I hit my approach shot, pin high on the right fringe. Next group member hits on, then our third player hits along the same line as my ball, ends up striking it on the first bounce and shoots it to 6 feet.

As I go to replace it, the uninvolved player (second to hit in the above sequence) says that as my ball was not on the green, it does not need to be replaced. I'm about 95% sure he's mistaken, but for some reason there's a feeling deep in my gut that he's right. Just in case I play two balls and note to resolve this after the round rather than taking time to google it while on a crowded course. Afterwards, we look it up, and I card the up-and-down par I made from the fringe rather than the great birdie putt I made from the green.

But between him saying that, and it resonating so strongly with me, I ask: did the Rules of Golf ever delineate between balls on and off the green in regards to replacement after being moved? Was there a time that my bird would have counted? Or are we both sorely mistaken?

Posted:
Cobra F8+ 9.5*D, Fujikura Pro XLR8 61X at 44.25"
Titleist 917F2 16.5*, Diamana Blueboard 73X
Taylormade PSI Tour 3 iron, DG Pro X100
Taylormade RBladez 5i-PW
Taylormade RSI2 AW 50*
Cobra Trusty Rusty 53*, 59*, DG S200
Cleveland 588 RTX2.0 64*
Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Arm-lock conversion at 7*, 42"

Comments

• sui generissui generis Members  4504WRX Points: 804Posts: 4,504 Titanium Tees

9.6 Ball Lifted or Moved by Outside Influence, If it is known or virtually certain that an outside influence (including another player in stroke play or another ball) lifted or moved a player’s ball:

There is no penalty, and

The ball must be replaced on its original spot (which if not known must be estimated) (see Rule 14.2).

This applies whether or not the player’s ball has been found.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=9&subrulenum=6

Posted:
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • cmagnussoncmagnusson Members  584WRX Points: 183Handicap: 14Posts: 584 Golden Tee

On -, @sui generis said:

9.6 Ball Lifted or Moved by Outside Influence, If it is known or virtually certain that an outside influence (including another player in stroke play or another ball) lifted or moved a player’s ball:

There is no penalty, and

The ball must be replaced on its original spot (which if not known must be estimated) (see Rule 14.2).

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=9&subrulenum=6

Thanks for not reading the post at all!

Posted:
    Taylormade RBladez 5i-PW
    Taylormade RSI2 AW 50*
    Cleveland 588 RTX2.0 64*
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13915WRX Points: 2,732Handicap: 0.9 >< 3.8Posts: 13,915 Titanium Tees

This happened to me in a provincial event. My ball was on the fringe
    "A ball at rest must always be replaced, whether on the green or not" the official let me group know
    Now, not sure if that was always the case .... or a recent change

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Blueboard Matte 53x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Blueboard OG 63x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Kuro Kage 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Callaway Apex UT 30* AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey SM2 50-54tvd-59tvd-64 s400
    Titleist Scotty X7M

• sui generissui generis Members  4504WRX Points: 804Posts: 4,504 Titanium Tees

On -, @cmagnusson said:

On -, @sui generis said:

There is no penalty, and

Thanks for not reading the post at all!

"Or are we both sorely mistaken?"

Yes.

Posted:
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers  3422WRX Points: 891Handicap: 2.9Posts: 3,422 Titanium Tees

I don't remember anything since I've been playing that differentiates between on the green and off. Some of the older guys may remember.

Posted:
    2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  25278WRX Points: 1,755Posts: 25,278 Titanium Tees

On -, @cmagnusson said:

I ask: did the Rules of Golf ever delineate between balls on and off the green in regards to replacement after being moved? Was there a time that my bird would have counted? Or are we both sorely mistaken?

http://www.ruleshistory.com/
    or more specifically
    http://www.ruleshistory.com/play.html#moved

Posted:

Advertisement
  • cmagnussoncmagnusson Members  584WRX Points: 183Handicap: 14Posts: 584 Golden Tee

On -, @Stuart_G said:

On -, @cmagnusson said:

I ask: did the Rules of Golf ever delineate between balls on and off the green in regards to replacement after being moved? Was there a time that my bird would have counted? Or are we both sorely mistaken?

or more specifically

This is so cool!!

So in stroke play, I made a birdie from 1908 to 1950, when it was required to be replaced (optional previously). If it was a match, my birdie stood until 1984 when they took away the option in that format.

Posted:
    Taylormade RBladez 5i-PW
    Taylormade RSI2 AW 50*
    Cleveland 588 RTX2.0 64*
  • NewbyNewby Members  7826WRX Points: 652Posts: 7,826 Titanium Tees

2016 ->
    18-5 If a ball in play is moved by another ball in motion after a stroke, the moved ball must be replaced

Posted:
  • RickKRickK Missouri City TXMembers  1619WRX Points: 118Handicap: GHINPosts: 1,619 Platinum Tees

Thanks for that link. Great historical info

Posted:

I know it says I am from Missouri City TX but I have moved to Weston Lakes TX.

Tried to change it in my profile 15 times so far, says "saved" but still does not change.

I give up.

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  25278WRX Points: 1,755Posts: 25,278 Titanium Tees

On -, @cmagnusson said:

So in stroke play, I made a birdie from 1908 to 1950, when it was required to be replaced (optional previously).

No. The option to replace or not in the 1908 version was only valid for match play, not stroke play. You have to read through the rest of the version of the rules under "SPECIAL RULES FOR STROKE COMPETITIONS."

Posted:
  • antipantip Members  1220WRX Points: 407Posts: 1,220 Platinum Tees

On -, @cmagnusson said:

On -, @Stuart_G said:

On -, @cmagnusson said:

or more specifically

This is so cool!!

So in stroke play, I made a birdie from 1908 to 1950, when it was required to be replaced (optional previously). If it was a match, my birdie stood until 1984 when they took away the option in that format.

Now all you need is that time machine and you're set! [Subject, of course, to any further Stuart G complications.]

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @Stuart_G said:

On -, @cmagnusson said:

So in stroke play, I made a birdie from 1908 to 1950, when it was required to be replaced (optional previously).

No. The option to replace or not in the 1908 version was only valid for match play, not stroke play. You have to read through the rest of the version of the rules under "SPECIAL RULES FOR STROKE COMPETITIONS."

Why do you keep taking away my birdie Stu.

Posted:
    Taylormade RBladez 5i-PW
    Taylormade RSI2 AW 50*
    Cleveland 588 RTX2.0 64*

On -, @cmagnusson said:

On -, @Stuart_G said:

On -, @cmagnusson said:

Why do you keep taking away my birdie Stu.

I'm doing it for you of course - because the less frequently they happen - the more enjoyable they become ;-)

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.