Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Was this ever a rule? Ball struck by another ball not being replaced

cmagnussoncmagnusson Members Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scenario: playing a casual round as a threesome yesterday. I hit my approach shot, pin high on the right fringe. Next group member hits on, then our third player hits along the same line as my ball, ends up striking it on the first bounce and shoots it to 6 feet.

As I go to replace it, the uninvolved player (second to hit in the above sequence) says that as my ball was not on the green, it does not need to be replaced. I'm about 95% sure he's mistaken, but for some reason there's a feeling deep in my gut that he's right. Just in case I play two balls and note to resolve this after the round rather than taking time to google it while on a crowded course. Afterwards, we look it up, and I card the up-and-down par I made from the fringe rather than the great birdie putt I made from the green.

But between him saying that, and it resonating so strongly with me, I ask: did the Rules of Golf ever delineate between balls on and off the green in regards to replacement after being moved? Was there a time that my bird would have counted? Or are we both sorely mistaken?

Cobra BioCell+ 8.5*D, Aldila RIP'D NV 65TX at 44.75"
Titleist 917F2 15*, Diamana Blueboard 73X
Titleist 917F2 18*, Matrix Deus 60X
Srixon Z U85 20*, DG-Pro X100
TaylorMade RBladez 5i-PW, Stiff
Tommy Armor 845 48* PW
Cobra Trusty Rusty 53*, 59*, DG S200
Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Arm-lock conversion at 7*, 42"

Comments

• sui generissui generis Members Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

9.6 Ball Lifted or Moved by Outside Influence, If it is known or virtually certain that an outside influence (including another player in stroke play or another ball) lifted or moved a player’s ball:

There is no penalty, and

The ball must be replaced on its original spot (which if not known must be estimated) (see Rule 14.2).

This applies whether or not the player’s ball has been found.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=9&subrulenum=6

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • cmagnussoncmagnusson Members Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sui generis said:
    9.6 Ball Lifted or Moved by Outside Influence, If it is known or virtually certain that an outside influence (including another player in stroke play or another ball) lifted or moved a player’s ball:

There is no penalty, and

The ball must be replaced on its original spot (which if not known must be estimated) (see Rule 14.2).

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=9&subrulenum=6

Thanks for not reading the post at all!

Tommy Armor 845 48* PW
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,574 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This happened to me in a provincial event. My ball was on the fringe
    "A ball at rest must always be replaced, whether on the green or not" the official let me group know
    Now, not sure if that was always the case .... or a recent change

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 
    Ping iWedge 50* Tour Concept x100
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • sui generissui generis Members Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@cmagnusson said:

@sui generis said:

There is no penalty, and

Thanks for not reading the post at all!

"Or are we both sorely mistaken?"

Yes.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't remember anything since I've been playing that differentiates between on the green and off. Some of the older guys may remember.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 22, 2019 2:34pm #7

@cmagnusson said:
    I ask: did the Rules of Golf ever delineate between balls on and off the green in regards to replacement after being moved? Was there a time that my bird would have counted? Or are we both sorely mistaken?

http://www.ruleshistory.com/
    or more specifically
    http://www.ruleshistory.com/play.html#moved

@Stuart_G said:

@cmagnusson said:
    I ask: did the Rules of Golf ever delineate between balls on and off the green in regards to replacement after being moved? Was there a time that my bird would have counted? Or are we both sorely mistaken?

or more specifically

This is so cool!!

So in stroke play, I made a birdie from 1908 to 1950, when it was required to be replaced (optional previously). If it was a match, my birdie stood until 1984 when they took away the option in that format.

Tommy Armor 845 48* PW
  • NewbyNewby Members Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

2016 ->
    18-5 If a ball in play is moved by another ball in motion after a stroke, the moved ball must be replaced

• RickKimbrellRickKimbrell Weston Lakes, TXMembers Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for that link. Great historical info

edited Jul 22, 2019 3:52pm #11

@cmagnusson said:
    So in stroke play, I made a birdie from 1908 to 1950, when it was required to be replaced (optional previously).

No. The option to replace or not in the 1908 version was only valid for match play, not stroke play. You have to read through the rest of the version of the rules under "SPECIAL RULES FOR STROKE COMPETITIONS."

• antipantip Members Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 23, 2019 2:00am #12

@cmagnusson said:

@Stuart_G said:

@cmagnusson said:

or more specifically

This is so cool!!

So in stroke play, I made a birdie from 1908 to 1950, when it was required to be replaced (optional previously). If it was a match, my birdie stood until 1984 when they took away the option in that format.

Now all you need is that time machine and you're set! [Subject, of course, to any further Stuart G complications.]

@Stuart_G said:

@cmagnusson said:
    So in stroke play, I made a birdie from 1908 to 1950, when it was required to be replaced (optional previously).

No. The option to replace or not in the 1908 version was only valid for match play, not stroke play. You have to read through the rest of the version of the rules under "SPECIAL RULES FOR STROKE COMPETITIONS."

Why do you keep taking away my birdie Stu.

Tommy Armor 845 48* PW
    edited Jul 23, 2019 8:59am #14

@cmagnusson said:

@Stuart_G said:

@cmagnusson said:

Why do you keep taking away my birdie Stu.

I'm doing it for you of course - because the less frequently they happen - the more enjoyable they become ;-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file