Jason and Stevie

MountainGoat

I never disliked him, or loved him, even when he was high five-ing with TW on the 18th many times during the broadcasting.

However, I have to give respect to him for doing his job better than most of his peer. The trick is not just to get the loop, but to keep it that long is a work in itself.

He certainly has my respect for doing his job well, not many today could say that.

You love him or hate him, he is a character on the PGA Tour, branded and sealed. I also liked his way of not caring for how others think of him. How was that song goes ? I Did It My Way...........

He might be older and appeared to be softer. I know the old dogs won't change with time, they just won't bark as much because they're tired. I know, since I'm old and stubborn, as wife would describe me to my surgeon.

> @wkuo3 said:

> I never disliked him, or loved him, even when he was high five-ing with TW on the 18th many times during the broadcasting.

> However, I have to give respect to him for doing his job better than most of his peer. The trick is not just to get the loop, but to keep it that long is a work in itself.

> He certainly has my respect for doing his job well, not many today could say that.

> You love him or hate him, he is a character on the PGA Tour, branded and sealed. I also liked his way of not caring for how others think of him. How was that song goes ? I Did It My Way...........

> He might be older and appeared to be softer. I know the old dogs won't change with time, they just won't bark as much because they're tired. I know, since I'm old and stubborn, as wife would describe me to my surgeon.

Half of the reason Williams could be like he was was his employer. Let's see anyone else's caddy take the bib off to walk up 18 and see how long that lasted.

Easy to be a character when your player could take a nine-iron to the knees of another player and the tour would fine him for getting in the way.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting to see Stevoline taking his bib off on 18 even without any advertising on his undershirt and JDay not making the cut.

Anyone still think this is a good thing for JDay or the caddie really will/can make a difference... for the better, not worse?

I'd think it's about time for JDay to start rehearsing his "this isn't working out" speech. Still interested to see how this is going to unfold. Waiting for Vegas to release the odds on who leaves who first...

• Like 1

> @idrive said:

> Interesting to see Stevoline taking his bib off on 18 even without any advertising on his undershirt and JDay not making the cut.

>

> Anyone still think this is a good thing for JDay or the caddie really will/can make a difference... for the better, not worse?

>

> I'd think it's about time for JDay to start rehearsing his "this isn't working out" speech. Still interested to see how this is going to unfold. Waiting for Vegas to release the odds on who leaves who first...

Yes, and no magic was performed on the wounded warrior. The wounded warrior should look at TW and many others as a mirror to reflect upon himself. The only way to stay in the game is clear. Get healthy first instead of worrying about staying in the game. He should go have a chat with Jack NIcklaus.

And the retiree should stay retired instead of mistaken his own identity as a miracle worker.

• Like 1

> @idrive said:

> I honestly believe this is back firing on JDay which is unfortunate. Just a matter or time before he realizes it if he doesn't already.

>

> Anyone know how much a caddie makes if his player doesn't make the cut?

>

> So now the question is who leaves who first.

I believe there's a base pay for the caddies out there and then a percentage of the earnings, SW is probably charging a pretty penny for that base pay with his resume.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @MountainKing said:

> I believe there's a base pay for the caddies out there and then a percentage of the earnings, SW is probably charging a pretty penny for that base pay with his resume.

That's my contention, as well. I think Stevie is functioning as more of a course coach than caddie and is being paid accordingly. From what we've seen so far, the problem appears to be that JDay can't hit the shots that Stevie is recommending. He hits it high and far and has a solid short game. What he doesn't have are the 'tweeter' shots. If we see Stevie next year it will be a sign that JDay wants to develop that part of his game. If not, then he's decided to just accept his limitations.

• 3 weeks later...

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

> @mukster said:

> http://www.golfdigest.com/story/jason-day-citing-disconnect-splits-with-caddie-steve-williams

No surprise, the myth surrounding this caddy is insane.

• Like 2
[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

JD should have Colin back on his bag, he needs someone that is capable of making a decision over shots for him. Stevie will fit Brooks nicely, who is like tiger, makes his own decisions, and stevie is left alone just doing the caddying bits and pieces. Surely Stevie is very good at just being a caddy, but he is no coach.

> @Kevinnz said:

> JD should have Colin back on his bag, he needs someone that is capable of making a decision over shots for him. Stevie will fit Brooks nicely, who is like tiger, makes his own decisions, and stevie is left alone just doing the caddying bits and pieces. Surely Stevie is very good at just being a caddy, but he is no coach.

Brooks should not even spend a nanosecond thinking about a caddy switch. For what possible reason would he think about hiring Williams?

• Like 1
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Just couldn't see how the two of them could possibly work. Stevie with ultimate hard man persona that he puts on and JDay with the I need to WD because I have the sniffles attitude meant they they were never going to be great or long lasting bedfellows...not that Stevie would know anything about that of course...

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @mukster said:

> > http://www.golfdigest.com/story/jason-day-citing-disconnect-splits-with-caddie-steve-williams

> Interesting. In my view, Jason just couldn't hit the shots Stevie wanted him to hit.

Day shouldn't be taking direction like that from a caddy period, he is a major winner and a former world #1.

• Like 2
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @Kevinnz said:

> > JD should have Colin back on his bag, he needs someone that is capable of making a decision over shots for him. Stevie will fit Brooks nicely, who is like tiger, makes his own decisions, and stevie is left alone just doing the caddying bits and pieces. Surely Stevie is very good at just being a caddy, but he is no coach.

>

> Brooks should not even spend a nanosecond thinking about a caddy switch. For what possible reason would he think about hiring Williams?

nono im not saying brooks should switch but stevie fits into the kinda caddy that BK prefers and would have some sparks.

> @Kevinnz said:

> JD should have Colin back on his bag, he needs someone that is capable of making a decision over shots for him. Stevie will fit Brooks nicely, who is like tiger, makes his own decisions, and stevie is left alone just doing the caddying bits and pieces. Surely Stevie is very good at just being a caddy, but he is no coach.

Brooks is doing just fine with his caddie. Imagine how good brooks would be if he practiced/played more in between events

> @c7015 said:

> > @wkuo3 said:

> > It'll be interesting to see how long the honeymoon will last between the injured warrior and the tired steed. My guess is two seasons if it last that long.

>

> If Jason does not win by The Masters Steve is gone

>

> Steve will never tarnish his rep as a winner, I'm sure he is a great caddy but let's be honest lucky to be along for the ride with Tiger.

boom even sooner

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > > @mukster said:

> > > http://www.golfdigest.com/story/jason-day-citing-disconnect-splits-with-caddie-steve-williams

> > Interesting. In my view, Jason just couldn't hit the shots Stevie wanted him to hit.

>

> Day shouldn't be taking direction like that from a caddy period, he is a major winner and a former world #1.

Jason has always taken direction from his caddy. He had Colin Swatton, his coach, on his bag for most of his career. He hasn’t well since abandoning that kind of direction.

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > @mukster said:

> > > > http://www.golfdigest.com/story/jason-day-citing-disconnect-splits-with-caddie-steve-williams

> > > Interesting. In my view, Jason just couldn't hit the shots Stevie wanted him to hit.

> >

> > Day shouldn't be taking direction like that from a caddy period, he is a major winner and a former world #1.

>

> Jason has always taken direction from his caddy. He had Colin Swatton, his coach, on his bag for most of his career. He hasn’t well since abandoning that kind of direction.

Totally different, a caddy and player discussing strategy in realtime, yes. Stevie Williams dictating how Jason Day should approach his golf and what shots he should be working on is insane.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > @mukster said:

> > > > > http://www.golfdigest.com/story/jason-day-citing-disconnect-splits-with-caddie-steve-williams

> > > > Interesting. In my view, Jason just couldn't hit the shots Stevie wanted him to hit.

> > >

> > > Day shouldn't be taking direction like that from a caddy period, he is a major winner and a former world #1.

> >

> > Jason has always taken direction from his caddy. He had Colin Swatton, his coach, on his bag for most of his career. He hasn’t well since abandoning that kind of direction.

>

> Totally different, a caddy and player discussing strategy in realtime, yes. Stevie Williams dictating how Jason Day should approach his golf and what shots he should be working on is insane.

We'll just have to disagree. The entire thrust of this thread was my contention that Jason was trying to fill that void, and that he was trying to do it with Stevie.

> @Vindog said:

> I know Stevie is an easy target because of...well, because of who he is, and his mouth.

>

> But I'll be damned if this stuff isn't coincidental. Whether it is just perceived personal confidence, or actual on course improvement it works. Nobody can refute that it works.

> Nobody.

>

>

Jason Day just seemed to refute it

• Like 1

> @idrive said:

> I honestly believe this is back firing on JDay which is unfortunate. Just a matter or time before he realizes it if he doesn't already.

>

> Anyone know how much a caddie makes if his player doesn't make the cut?

>

> So now the question is who leaves who first.

Pretty good call from just over a month ago

• Like 1

Without a healthy back he will never regain the form he once had. He is another example of what I believe is the biggest legacy of Tiger's career- the shortening of golf careers due to the all out commitment to bomb and gouge golf. Certain guys will last longer than others but in general the bodies will wear out sooner from the speeds these guys generate.

Jday's a patient man for lasting as long as he did with Stevoline on the bag. Had to be hard for JDay to have Stevoline receive the credit when he had a decent round (not tournament) and then receive all the criticism for having a bad round.

Until they start hitting the shots, this giving the caddie credit for a players success is just silly.

I'm happy JDay came to his senses and dumped this egomaniac, though it couldn't have taken much.... and predict he'll be back next year playing, competing once again and his potential.