Garmin Approach G80

**New2g0lf .... tks for the suggestion, yup it's solved.**

For those asking about the G80's **GPS capabilities**, this pic may resolve/answer some of those Q's. Today on #18, I was just over 200 yds to the green (center/white pin), the G80 was 213 yds my S5 watch said 211, lasered the pin with my Bushnell Pro 7 it said I was 214 yds to the stick. Look at the detail/distances the G80 provides the blue/white/red distance marks, the two ponds, ditch/creek, the F/C/B distances of Green vs the S5 watch .... which would you prefer ?

Hope all our American friends/members have a great Independence Day and enjoy your 4th of July!

Cheers

D.

zo9q3rti4fkw.jpg

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

> @wedgegame said:

> > @sma said:

> > > @johnnybogey said:

> > > man, really on the fence about purchasing one. At first, had no interest given that it didn't give spin numbers but then I thought, heck, if at the range, you can see which way the ball is going anyways.

> > > Is the GPS function better on the G80 vs. the G8?

> > > Right now, G80 can be had for $400 while the G8 can be had for $250.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > i highly recommend it. the gps functions great and to have the capabilities on the driving range just makes it that much more useful.

> >

> > where are you seeing it for $400?

>

> Golf Galaxy is offering $100 off orders of $500 or more. Just add the G80 and a $0.99 solvent bottle (needed to hit the $500 threshold since the G80 is $499.99) to get the discount. Might be other places, but this worked for me.

That deal must be over, bummer.

July 05th … rained all night & most of the morning, no one on the home course, went out solo just before noon to do some testing to see if the recent software update had any bearing on estimated vs actual distance, unfortunately forgot the camera but this was the result of my testing. I just started playing a Taylormade TP5, really like how this ball performs in comparison to my previous Pro V1’s.

Put the G80 down on t-box, pushed the second button just below the power button/red dot and the “Warm-up Screen” came on that records Club/Ball Speed, Smash, Tempo, Distance Carry & Carry/Roll. Hit my shot then push the same button & it takes you back to the Hole you’re playing, hit the menu then “Measure Shot” and walked out to my ball & recorded actual distances. Back on the next t-box did the same, hit the second button & it takes you back & forth between the screens with no issues. Note: my "Role Factor Setting" is at approx. 30% due to the wet conditions.

Hole #2 – 483 yd Par 5 - hit my driver middle fairway, recorded 100 mph club speed, est. carry/role was 254 yds, hit the “Measure Shot” and walked out to my ball, measured 257 yds actual, difference = 3 yds.

Hole #3 – 176 Yd Par 3 – hit 7i to the green, recorded 77 mph club speed, est. carry/role was 183 , hit the “Measure Shot” and walked out to my ball on the green measured 173 actual, diff = 10 yds = bit odd.

Hole #4 – 523 yd Par 5 – hit 3 wd middle fairway, 95 mph club speed, est. carry/role was 228 yds, walked out to my ball , measured 232 actual, diff = 4 yds.

Hole #5 – 343 yd Par 4 - hit my driver left fairway, recorded 101 mph club speed, est. carry/role was 252 yds, walked out to my ball, measured 253 yds actual, diff = 1 yd - amazing.

Then another single caught up & joined me, no further testing, played well today, only used my laser a couple of time to confirm G80 pin distances, came home with the same ball, made 3 birdies, shot 3 over for a 75, low round of the year.

These are the pic’s of the screens referred to above, if was fun going back & forth field testing the unit and confirming my G80 numbers with a performance golf ball were very close to actual numbers on the course.

D.

hjsljlj5i1wa.jpg

**The Magic Button just below the Power Button.**

f0qny2s9mw7a.jpg

50fk6ckk4rn1.jpg

bojh4oqc6a9b.jpg

thxzka6pg873.jpg

**Time Played and Distance Traveled compares favorably to the other day.**

a3ikt0qxlqoj.jpg

Ping DLX Cart Bag

> @wedgegame said:

> > @sma said:

> > > @johnnybogey said:

> > > man, really on the fence about purchasing one. At first, had no interest given that it didn't give spin numbers but then I thought, heck, if at the range, you can see which way the ball is going anyways.

> > > Is the GPS function better on the G80 vs. the G8?

> > > Right now, G80 can be had for $400 while the G8 can be had for $250.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > i highly recommend it. the gps functions great and to have the capabilities on the driving range just makes it that much more useful.

> >

> > where are you seeing it for $400?

>

> Golf Galaxy is offering $100 off orders of $500 or more. Just add the G80 and a $0.99 solvent bottle (needed to hit the $500 threshold since the G80 is $499.99) to get the discount. Might be other places, but this worked for me.

I wish I saw this deal. It's what I've been waiting for.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Red 6s

G430 LST 3 wood Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood Ventus TR Red 8s 

Callaway Apex Pro 3 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0311 XP 5 PX LZ 6.5

0311 P 6 P LZ 6.5

0317 T  7-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  52, 56

PM Grind 60

Lab Link 1 

> @"Song Dog" said:

> @Zip-in-Z that's good stuff. Totally on the fence due to numbers and after your post, it does convince me?

There are others here who also experienced seeing similar results on the range, it appears I'm the only one so far that has actually hit a performance golf ball on the course then walked out to the ball and measured distances. I'm not making this stuff up, the results I posted were factual, if you decide to pull the trigger you won't be sorry. I'm still really enjoying finding out what my new gadget is capable of doing. I bought it for the Launch Monitor features but finding the GPS is amazingly accurate new tool in my bag. I'm still working on my Tempo which may help improve my S/S a bit, would be nice to break par for the first time ever. (Edit: The G80 would be given lots of the credit if I was so fortunate.)

All the best.

David

Ping DLX Cart Bag

I have also.

The launch monitor distance number is pretty accurate with a ProV1 ball vs a range ball. However, after extensive testing it is clear what the distance number is generated from. Ball speed and club head speed generate a given algorithm distance. The algorithm clearly estimates the ball compression therefore the distance. That is why range balls aren't as accurate as a new performance ball.

The device is pre-programmed for a performance ball. I have attempted to generate the same ball and club head speed with different clubs and, in doing so, it generates the same distance numbers. The device doesn't know the club you are using so it assumes. If you try swinging a 3 iron the same speed as a pitching wedge then you will see they obviously don't go the same distance, in reality, but they do on the device. Knowing this, I have no longer looked at the distance as a factor in my practice sessions. I just look at ball speed and club head speed. Both of which have been confirmed, by reviewers and myself, to be really accurate when tested against a Trackman or the like. I have taken a few lessons with a pro, since G80 purchase, that uses Trackman and he let me use the G80 in conjunction. The ball speed and club head speed were really really close to the Trackman. Distance was off and was further off the higher the club head speed. I didn't want to spend anytime on the lesson worrying about the device so I just glanced at the Trackman numbers and the G80 after each swing. I think maybe the distance the ball is from the device might affect the distance numbers but I'm not positive about that. Just a guess. Either way knowing club head speed and ball speed are huge when practicing. Now that I have knowledge of what the numbers mean it really helps.

The GPS function is excellent. I posted before, I tested this at a course that had GPS in the cart accurate to the pin. Cross referencing the device after moving the flag to the correct position it was spot on. Unfortunately, as with all GPS devices, one doesn't know where the pin is exactly even with a pin sheet. This is where the laser devices shine. When all companies use a laser device and a gps depiction in the screen (I believe one competitor does this) then GPS depictions will be perfect. Until then this is a pretty good device for both the radar function and the GPS function.

On the course, I kept it in my right pocket and never noticed it. I used to be really persnickety about things in my pockets. Never liked big ball markers, tees, extra ball, etc. In the last year, I have become much better and my swing far exceeds what it was a few years ago. I think because now I don't sway and my body doesn't move all over the place I don't notice things in my pockets anymore. I used to sway from NY to Cali on every swing. No more. Either way it is small and light.

**Pilot25**, tks for chiming in & confirming some of my findings, as well providing some technical insight on the G80, found it very helpful. Also pleased to read you had the opportunity to test the G80 along side a Trackman & your results were similar, that's a bonus it provides users with more confidence of the units performance.

Was thinking about this the other day, the G80 was first released in January 2019, wonder what Garmin are planning for the next generation G800 gadget, would like to see a little larger screen & better graphics.

D.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

> @Zip-in-Z said:

> **Pilot25**, tks for chiming in & confirming some of my findings, as well providing some technical insight on the G80, found it very helpful. Also pleased to read you had the opportunity to test the G80 along side a Trackman & your results were similar, that's a bonus it provides users with more confidence of the units performance.

>

> Was thinking about this the other day, the G80 was first released in January 2019, wonder what Garmin are planning for the next generation G800 gadget, would like to see a little larger screen & better graphics.

>

> D.

My Golf Lies did a segment on it in their podcast. I don't like those guys at all but I wanted to hear their review and it was basically the same that we have come up with. They also surmise the marrying of GPS and laser is the wave of the future. I'm betting on that too. I like the radar function but I think that will be an independent device in the next few generations. Especially as manufacturing costs come down. One day "Trackman" devices will be cheap enough for the "everyman."

> @"St Jimmy" said:

> > @wedgegame said:

> > > @sma said:

> > > > @johnnybogey said:

> > > > man, really on the fence about purchasing one. At first, had no interest given that it didn't give spin numbers but then I thought, heck, if at the range, you can see which way the ball is going anyways.

> > > > Is the GPS function better on the G80 vs. the G8?

> > > > Right now, G80 can be had for $400 while the G8 can be had for $250.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > i highly recommend it. the gps functions great and to have the capabilities on the driving range just makes it that much more useful.

> > >

> > > where are you seeing it for $400?

> >

> > Golf Galaxy is offering $100 off orders of $500 or more. Just add the G80 and a $0.99 solvent bottle (needed to hit the $500 threshold since the G80 is $499.99) to get the discount. Might be other places, but this worked for me.

>

> I wish I saw this deal. It's what I've been waiting for.

Dicks is having Black Monday (or something like that).

20% off your order.

Just bought it for $400!

I've been using a Garmin S1 since, well forever, and am ready for an upgrade.

The launch monitor, practice modes, and play virtual courses and what sold me on this unit.

The range has gotten stale so maybe this will entice me to practice more.

Hoping to use it a lot over the winter too and save money on playing the sim every week.

0311 XP 5 PX LZ 6.5

0311 P 6 P LZ 6.5

0317 T  7-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  52, 56

PM Grind 60

Lab Link 1 

> @"St Jimmy" said:

> > @"St Jimmy" said:

> > > @wedgegame said:

> > > > @sma said:

> > > > > @johnnybogey said:

> > > > > man, really on the fence about purchasing one. At first, had no interest given that it didn't give spin numbers but then I thought, heck, if at the range, you can see which way the ball is going anyways.

> > > > > Is the GPS function better on the G80 vs. the G8?

> > > > > Right now, G80 can be had for $400 while the G8 can be had for $250.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > i highly recommend it. the gps functions great and to have the capabilities on the driving range just makes it that much more useful.

> > > >

> > > > where are you seeing it for $400?

> > >

> > > Golf Galaxy is offering $100 off orders of $500 or more. Just add the G80 and a $0.99 solvent bottle (needed to hit the $500 threshold since the G80 is $499.99) to get the discount. Might be other places, but this worked for me.

> >

> > I wish I saw this deal. It's what I've been waiting for.

>

>

>

> Dicks is having Black Monday (or something like that).

> 20% off your order.

> Just bought it for $400!

>

>

> I've been using a Garmin S1 since, well forever, and am ready for an upgrade.

> The launch monitor, practice modes, and play virtual courses and what sold me on this unit.

> The range has gotten stale so maybe this will entice me to practice more.

>

>

>

> Hoping to use it a lot over the winter too and save money on playing the sim every week.

>

How’d you get the $100 off? Says on exclusions golf electronics excluded. It says the 20% off will automatically appear in cart and when I tried to add the Bushnell Pro EX, the 20% off didn’t appear and Bushnell isn’t listed specifically as being excluded

> @Fabian43 said:

> > @"St Jimmy" said:

> > > @"St Jimmy" said:

> > > > @wedgegame said:

> > > > > @sma said:

> > > > > > @johnnybogey said:

> > > > > > man, really on the fence about purchasing one. At first, had no interest given that it didn't give spin numbers but then I thought, heck, if at the range, you can see which way the ball is going anyways.

> > > > > > Is the GPS function better on the G80 vs. the G8?

> > > > > > Right now, G80 can be had for $400 while the G8 can be had for $250.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > i highly recommend it. the gps functions great and to have the capabilities on the driving range just makes it that much more useful.

> > > > >

> > > > > where are you seeing it for $400?

> > > >

> > > > Golf Galaxy is offering $100 off orders of $500 or more. Just add the G80 and a $0.99 solvent bottle (needed to hit the $500 threshold since the G80 is $499.99) to get the discount. Might be other places, but this worked for me.

> > >

> > > I wish I saw this deal. It's what I've been waiting for.

> >

> >

> >

> > Dicks is having Black Monday (or something like that).

> > 20% off your order.

> > Just bought it for $400!

> >

> >

> > I've been using a Garmin S1 since, well forever, and am ready for an upgrade.

> > The launch monitor, practice modes, and play virtual courses and what sold me on this unit.

> > The range has gotten stale so maybe this will entice me to practice more.

> >

> >

> >

> > Hoping to use it a lot over the winter too and save money on playing the sim every week.

> >

>

> How’d you get the $100 off? Says on exclusions golf electronics excluded. It says the 20% off will automatically appear in cart and when I tried to add the Bushnell Pro EX, the 20% off didn’t appear and Bushnell isn’t listed specifically as being excluded

I just added it to the cart and it was $100 off.

Says it shipped today.

19kcz58n26hc.jpeg

0311 XP 5 PX LZ 6.5

0311 P 6 P LZ 6.5

0317 T  7-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  52, 56

PM Grind 60

Lab Link 1 

> @doubledub said:

> Is the screen supposed to go dark after a certain time period (whatever you have the backlight timer set at) when the screen is locked like an iphone does? Whenever I grab mine from the bag the screen is always on and probably killing the battery life. Just curious if anyone else has had this issue?

I checked my unit, my back light turns off after 30 seconds, here how to check yours.

1.) Hit “Start New Round” this is the only path to get you to the “Setting Options”.

2.) Load nearest course

3.) Select a Tee

4.) Hit the “Menu” - bottom left side of the first Hole Screen

5.) Hit “Down Arrow” bottom right of screen

6.) Hit “Setup” Wheel

7.) Hit “Display” in the middle of screen.

8.) BackLight Timeout appears = mine reads 30 seconds, you can change it from 15 seconds to 2 minutes as well change the “Brightness”.

Give it a try .... trust this helps.

D.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

> @pilot25 said:

> zip,

>

> Is the putting feature of your scorecard part of the beta 2.61 release?

P25 ... I believe there was no change in any of the screens shown below from 2.60 to 2.61, the only change was the time played & odometer.

When I got my G80, I downloaded Garmin Express to my PC, after my round I hit "End Round" and my results are saved on the G80 until I plug in the USB into my PC & it downloads my latest round into Garmin Express & launches in Firefox. The scorecard is just one of the screens that Garmin Connect provides, here's the others.

Trust this helps.

D.

**Adjust Putts for Birdies/Bogies.**

jvdop7uw3eex.jpg

**Garmin "Express" on my PC ... note it still shows version 2.60**

gcvtmafzb3wd.jpg

**Garmin "Connect" - Golf Dashboard launches in my browser.**

i4vct8i0arkn.jpg

**Score Card in Garmin Connect for one of my rounds shows adjusted stats.**

ef1cq5k91seg.jpg

Ping DLX Cart Bag

P25 ... your welcome, I forgot about the Stat's Tracking feature, turned mine on when I got the gadget in February ..... good reminder for others.

D.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

@pilot25 said:

> Thank you very much Zip. I appreciate your detailed responses and caring to do so. I was able to aquire a windows computer that I'm using just for the G80 and updated everything.

>

> I just figured out that you have to have stat tracking set to on and I didn't have that feature set.

>

> Thank you again.

You can also download the Garmin Golf app for your phone. It links up with the G80 and saves your scores to the website.

0311 XP 5 PX LZ 6.5

0311 P 6 P LZ 6.5

0317 T  7-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  52, 56

PM Grind 60

Lab Link 1 

> @pilot25 said:

> > @Zip-in-Z said:

> > **Pilot25**, tks for chiming in & confirming some of my findings, as well providing some technical insight on the G80, found it very helpful. Also pleased to read you had the opportunity to test the G80 along side a Trackman & your results were similar, that's a bonus it provides users with more confidence of the units performance.

> >

> > Was thinking about this the other day, the G80 was first released in January 2019, wonder what Garmin are planning for the next generation G800 gadget, would like to see a little larger screen & better graphics.

> >

> > D.

>

> My Golf Lies did a segment on it in their podcast. I don't like those guys at all but I wanted to hear their review and it was basically the same that we have come up with. They also surmise the marrying of GPS and laser is the wave of the future. I'm betting on that too. I like the radar function but I think that will be an independent device in the next few generations. Especially as manufacturing costs come down. One day "Trackman" devices will be cheap enough for the "everyman."

“My Golf Lies” is a great nickname! I’m going to borrow it if that’s okay. It’s so accurate. They’re always exposing lies in the golf industry. The cutting ball stuff has been crazy.

> @pilot25 said:

> Yikes.....Fired up the G80 for a round today and it, again, couldn't get a GPS signal. I put in my pocket and forgot about it for about 5 minutes. On my third shot I pulled it out to look at it and it got a signal.

>

> How long does it take for your units to find a signal?

It needs a clear view of the sky to lock in. Usually takes mine about a minute or so to get a full signal.

Played a round yesterday and the device locked onto GPS in about 45 seconds.

The more I use it the less I use the radar function. My swing speeds are pretty much not going to change. 107 driver, 103 3 wood, and on down the line. The ball speed is now the only thing I look at because it tells you how close to the center of the face you are. I think if I had to do it all over again I'd get the S60 watch but I'd complain how uncomfortable a watch is to wear. Short of having a caddie the G80 is pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...