Would you pay $100 to hit Ben Hogan's 1 iron? (at Merion)

LYG ·  
LYGLYG Members  1019WRX Points: 65Posts: 1,019 Platinum Tees
If the USGA was doing a fundraiser (at Merion) and you could pay $100 and hit one ball with his 1 iron, from the spot 200 yards out on #18...

<
this shot here

Would you? I would!
Posted:
TM M2 driver (2016) Fujikura Pro 53
TM M2 3 and 5 woods, Fujikura Pro 53
PXG 19 degree hybrid, Fujikura Pro 73
Mizuno MP 25, 3-PW, Nippon 1150 GH Tour
Miura wedges, Y grind 53 and 59, Nippon NS Pro
8802 Palmer or by Cleveland or early 1970's Ping Answer

Comments

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  4809WRX Points: 689Posts: 4,809 Titanium Tees
    I'd do it if the $100 went to charity or something good. What was the loft of Hogan's 1 iron? About the same as a modern 3 iron? I think I could get it airborne. Pretty sure I could.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • LYGLYG Members  1019WRX Points: 65Posts: 1,019 Platinum Tees
    Well, really stiff shaft they say...those clubs had a very long hosel, which put the sweet spot closer to the heel of the club. Also, you'd have a rough cord grip that was "ribbed" (they called it a reminder grip back then...a ridge running on the underside of the grip) and for some of his clubs (maybe just the driver) he had the ridge positioned where your hands on the grip, in line with the ridge (at 5:00 clock) and your grip was weak.
    Posted:
    TM M2 driver (2016) Fujikura Pro 53
    TM M2 3 and 5 woods, Fujikura Pro 53
    PXG 19 degree hybrid, Fujikura Pro 73
    Mizuno MP 25, 3-PW, Nippon 1150 GH Tour
    Miura wedges, Y grind 53 and 59, Nippon NS Pro
    8802 Palmer or by Cleveland or early 1970's Ping Answer
  • TMBobTMBob Members  5375WRX Points: 62Handicap: 5Posts: 5,375 Titanium Tees
    I would pay $100 to hold it and have some pics taken with it. I would rather hit a "replica" of the club....nobody should be swinging the orginal version IMHO.
    Posted:
  • JDCONJDCON PrincetonMembers  352WRX Points: 148Handicap: .2Posts: 352 Greens
    TMBob wrote:

I would pay $100 to hold it and have some pics taken with it. I would rather hit a "replica" of the club....nobody should be swinging the orginal version IMHO.

This is about exactly what I was going to say.

Nobody should hit it. And in all likelihood, it should be transported everywhere with chanting monks and incense.

But really, I'd rather just hold it and see it. Not sully it.
    Posted:
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members  3649WRX Points: 231Posts: 3,649 Titanium Tees
    No
    Posted:
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-PW Titleist AP1s
    50 degree GW Titleist SM4
    56 degree SW Vokey SM7 
    Ping Anser 6 Milled Putter
  • Munich77Munich77 Members  365WRX Points: 105Posts: 365 Greens
    I would not but I found my Hogan Apex 1 iron the other day...tempted to take it out on the course.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • tgreenwood11tgreenwood11 Bye bye yips in 2015 Members  491WRX Points: 78Handicap: 3.2Posts: 491 Greens
    I tried hitting my old Ping one iron, the original. I couldn't get it airborne. LOL
    Posted:
  • mocokidmocokid Members  2143WRX Points: 341Posts: 2,143 Platinum Tees
    If I could hit a hybrid from the exact spot, yes.

His 1 iron forget it, I could not get it airborne if I had a full bucket and an entire day to get one on the green or fringe.
    Posted:
  • moehoganmoehogan Members  1092WRX Points: 154Posts: 1,092 Platinum Tees
    I always take a knife to the range and hit at least 10-12 balls with it ... either the one below from my Apex set or the one from my First Flight set. Always have loved hitting long irons ... still carry a 2 iron with my Mizzy gamers.

Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • tatertottatertot Members  4609WRX Points: 921Posts: 4,609 Titanium Tees
    No thanks, I have a Staff FG51 1 iron in the basement for when I want to torture myself. I don't need to pay $100 to do it.
    Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Ping Mascot
  • farmerfarmer Members  8593WRX Points: 1,034Posts: 8,593 Titanium Tees
    If I could play Merion to that point as part of the package, sure. Well worth a hundred bucks.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • HarleyweedwhacksHarleyweedwhacks Members  152WRX Points: 0Handicap: 6Posts: 152
    No. I would GET paid to hit Hogan's 1 iron from 200 yards at Merion. Lol jk
    Posted:
    "I have one brief comment today, and there is no chance, we're all human beings here, and there's no chance humanly possible that Tiger woods isn't hurting his back with a swing like that...no way."--Colin Montgomerie
  • cb24cb24 Members  1716WRX Points: 126Handicap: 1Posts: 1,716 Platinum Tees
    LeoLeo99 wrote:

I'd do it if the $100 went to charity or something good. What was the loft of Hogan's 1 iron? About the same as a modern 3 iron? I think I could get it airborne. Pretty sure I could.

I would totally pay $100 to hit it but I agree, that no one should be hitting it, would be terrible is it broke or got messed up.

Also in regards to loft it was 17* so it’s more like a modern 2 iron (if you can find one)
    Posted:
  • Munich77Munich77 Members  365WRX Points: 105Posts: 365 Greens

I have a hogan 1 iron. Fun club to hit when it goes

Posted:

On -, @Munich77 said:

I have a hogan 1 iron. Fun club to hit when it goes

So do I ... I don’t game it anymore but it still goes to the range with me.

You do realize, though, that that the famous 1 iron shot at Merion was actually a hit with a MacGregor!

Posted:
  • double_ddouble_d Members  377WRX Points: 120Posts: 377 Greens

If it was for charity.
    However, instead of hitting it, I would just show up, donate the $100 to charity and enjoy watching other people attempt to hit it.

Posted:

Advertisement

Hogan’s company produced some very fine golf clubs for many years. While he came very close on a few occasions, it’s interesting that Hogan never won a major with his own company’s sticks!

Posted:
  • bigdanebigdane Mr. Kristianstad, SwedenMembers  74WRX Points: 116Handicap: 8Posts: 74 Bunkers

On -, @Munich77 said:

I would not but I found my Hogan Apex 1 iron the other day...tempted to take it out on the course.

Do it - those sticks are meant to be played, not displayed.
    I started playing in 1964, at age 14, and I still play Hogans, and I still have my original sticks, including the butter knives - and I play with them, with fair succes although I am getting slightly used these days :) .

Posted:
  • bigdanebigdane Mr. Kristianstad, SwedenMembers  74WRX Points: 116Handicap: 8Posts: 74 Bunkers

On -, @mocokid said:

If I could hit a hybrid from the exact spot, yes.

His 1 iron forget it, I could not get it airborne if I had a full bucket and an entire day to get one on the green or fringe.

Hybrid?? Is that a golf club?? - just joking, even though I hit 1- and 2-irons with no more than usual difficulty, I cannot hit a hybrid - it's mental, I don't like them.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.