2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: Ben Hogan PTx PRO Irons! See What Members Are Saying!

Well I tried these out again on the course and they really are a solid set of sticks. Unfortunately the more I play them, the more I notice that thicker top line and it just really feels like BH could have made these more “pro” in design rather than name only.

Yes they feel good and produce good results, but I’m a firm believer that if you don’t like what you see when you look down at the club, you’re never going to get the most out of them, so these unfortunately won’t be staying in the bag. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to review these and the craftsmanship is top notch. Hopefully BH takes note of our issues and rectifies them in future sets.

• Like 1

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

So I was able to get some range time this week and I was really able to try different shots with them on the range. I’m the type of golfer that takes a while to get really comfortable with new clubs, so the range time was good for me. The benefits of that range time showed up when I got another round in yesterday, and I’m really enjoying the turf interaction and forgiveness of the irons. They’re staying in the bag for me.

I’m able to hit the shot required when I put a good swing on the ball. Ball flight is right where I expect it to be when I’m hitting certain shots, either high or low. It took me trusting the V sole, and when I do, there aren’t any issues with shots that I’m trying to hit.

As far as the top line goes, I get where others are coming from, but I still like the looks of the clubs at address. There isn’t too much offset for me, so it makes up for the top line. Even saying that, the only club that I think the top line is too thick on is the 7 iron. I expect the thicker top lines in the 4-6 irons, and the 7 is just a tad thicker than I would expect it to be, but it’s not a deal breaker. It’s a very good club that I’d recommend to anyone when it comes to buying new clubs.

I also bought a Ben Hogan TK gap wedge from their site when it went on clearance, and that’s a great club in its own right.

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

They’re a nice set that definitely punch above their price range in both the overall looks and feel department. For whatever reason I’m just not getting along with my set. I can usually get over looks if a club works well, as is the case with many drivers. I suspect the KBS shafts aren’t doing these clubs any favors for me.

Cobra LTDx LS Diamana B 70
TEE CB4 Tour 15° Attas T2
SLDR 3H Speeder HB 9.8

Honma TW 737 P 4 iron
Honma TR 20V 5-PW PX LS
Vokey SM7 52° & 58°
Tour Issue Toulon Austin

I’m kicking around the idea of combo’ing these in 4-6 with a 7-PW ft worth. However, I read an article somewhere and it said that they might be launching a dedicated combo set. So I’m keeping my eyes peeled for those.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4
Fairway: TSi2 3 & 5 PX RDX Black 6.5
Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 3 4-P
Wedges: Zipcore Tour Rack 50/54/60
Putter: 2021 Ping Tyne CS

> @pollock21 said:

> I’m kicking around the idea of combo’ing these in 4-6 with a 7-PW ft worth. However, I read an article somewhere and it said that they might be launching a dedicated combo set. So I’m keeping my eyes peeled for those.

That’d be a nice combo. The ptx pro long irons are personally my favorite part of the set

A combo set with the Ft Worth irons would be a very solid set. I’ve tried those in the past and really liked them.

I got more range time and another round of golf in this past week. I hit 11/18 greens during my round and shot my low round of the year of a 76 (that included a stupid 3-putt bogey on a Par 5, and a dumb bogey on another Par 5 ??‍♂️). Forgiveness with these irons was very apparent on some of my iron shots because I ended up way closer to the hole than I deserved to be on some shots.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from hitting the demo 6 and 9 irons in TT X100 that I received from Hogan Golf. Great looking club with nice feel, but could not knock my Nike Vapor Pro Combos out. The VPCs were a bit softer and to my eye cleaner at address. I think the 6 irons matched up pretty well, but it was the 9 iron where the Hogans lost out. While the Hogan 9 did not look chunky it just did not feel as nimble as the VPC 9 iron. I think if Hogan would have made the scoring irons a bit more blade like I think I would have had to at least consider them. I would definitely buy a set as they are now if I did not have my Nikes, especially at the price point, but for now I will have to pass.

Nike Covert Tour w/ Accra Tour Z 65
TM RocketBallz Stage 2 w/ Accra LT70
Adams Dhy 18 w/ Nunchuk
Nike VRS Forged 4-GW, DGX100
TM ATV Wedges 56* and 64*
Odyssey Black Tour #2

• 4 weeks later...

So this is just an update on my experience with the PTx Pro irons.

I’m really enjoying these clubs. I reached the point at the beginning of July where I just go out and play and don’t even think about how the club is going to interact with whatever lie I happen to have. The v sole works well for me out of thick rough and tight lies. My divots are shallower and more consistent than my old Fly Z+ irons. Clubs are also easy to flight high and low.

I shot my lowest round of my life with them last week! I shot 74 on a Par 72. Previous low was 76 on a Par 72.

The ball flight is also very consistent on stock shots. I don’t get any balls that come out higher or lower than I expect them to for the shot I’m trying to play...assuming I strike the ball the way I need to in order to hit the shot.

I think these clubs are just as good as the major OEM’s clubs in the same category of irons.

• Like 2

WITB

• 1 year later...

😀

This is my second set of hogans 

I ordered my pros 2 degree strong with the same 4 degree gap between irons eg my five iron is 24 degrees my six is 28 etc. the advantage with the consistent 4 degree gaps is that I know exactly how far my irons go 

I am a 16 handicap only because I am not a good chipper I will shoot a 40 for nine holes followed by a 50 I love my five iron I bought the utility five no trouble getting it airborne 

gil