2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Anyone made an albatross?

HonestPlayer

What was it like? I've made a hole in one, eagle, birdie all by hole outs. Yet to register an albatross, doubt I ever will considering it's rare now I ever get to a par 5 in 2.

So what was it like? Yes if you did it alone it counts the same and the reaction might be ever more interesting alone. I am currently waiting for my new clubs, no point practicing with my old ones so only have 60 degree wedge, 64 (60 and 64 Cleveland), 72 degree (bomb tech golf) and Scotty putter to practice with so thought I'd humour myself making this thread seeing as I won't be playing on the course for a couple of weeks.

HonestPlayer.

I made one last year on the holly course at pinewild. We were playing in a money match cart teams best ball with about 12 guys. I was playing horribly all day and my playing partner was really doing well. On hole 14 which is a dogleg left I hit a pretty shitty drive. I had 222 to the flag but, there was a large pine tree I would have to go around or over so I was going to lay up. My partner told me just to go for it so I hit a 3 hybrid over the tree and when we get to the green I don't see my ball anywhere so I grab my wedge and putter thinking it ran thru. He goes up and finds it in the hole and we all flipped out. Was pretty awesome. Luckily I can go back and look at it whenever since I had my gamegolf that day to record the round.

Yep! #7 at Hyland Hills GC, just outside of Pinehurst. This was one of my dad's favorite courses back in the day - I remember it always being in phenomenal condition and being a pretty fun layout.

So it goes; #7 is a short par 5 - playing around 480 yards if memory serves, though it's uphill the whole way. Got off the tee quite well and had around 200 yards left. Pulled my 4 iron and flushed it about as well as I can hit a golf ball and it was flying RIGHT at the pin. Given it was uphill, I couldn't see where it stopped but I KNEW it was a good shot and was quite stoked to see what I had left for an eagle putt.

My two buddies I was playing with hit their approaches and we walked on up the hill to see three balls - short left, short right and then long - nearly into the woods behind the green - and on the line of the pin. Which I assumed was mine ... thinking I must have REALLY crushed that 4 iron. Kinda bummed I wouldn't have an eagle putt, I walked up to it and realized ... that's not my ball. The other two were definitely my buddies', so I started looking in the woods and all around. Nothing! After a few minutes and quite a bit of profanity; I accepted that my ball was lost and given we were pretty strict with rules back then, I started to walk back to the fairway to play from the original spot. As I was crossing the green, I had a thought ... "There's no way but ... I GOTTA look."

So I did.

And there it was sitting in the bottom of the cup.

There's a bit more to this, though. My dad had passed away the day before from injuries sustained in an auto accident. He was supposed to be in our group that day. I was only even out there because my buddies dragged me out of the house all, "Dude, your dad wanted you to play today. You're playing."

Needless to say, it was a pretty emotional moment. I'm not a religious or spiritual type but I don't doubt for a second he kicked that one in for me.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Way back in the olden days (steel shafted wooden woods, balata balls) when I was 14 and playing in a junior tournament, I made a hole in one on a 'par four', so that's an albatross too isn't it? This was on an executive course and the hole was only about 240 yards, but it's listed on the card as a par four.

The next hole was a 160 yard par three and I hit a 6-iron that was right at the flag, for a second my heart was in my throat and I thought I might go 1-1, but it was about six feet short. I did go 1-2. Good times.

• Like 1

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!

I am almost 73 years old. Been playing since I was 22, so for 51 years. Last year I made my first ever double eagle. 2nd shot on par 5...212 out. Blind shot up over a hill. We looked for the ball in front bunker, in rough, and I was about to head back to hit again as I thought the ball was lost. One of the guys yelled at me as I was getting in the cart "You hitting a Callaway with green dots?"

• Like 1

I've made one, about 25 years ago. Luckily I was able to see it go in the hole. I hit a 3 iron about 215 yds. that landed very softly on the green and rolled toward the hole like a putt. And then disappeared. It was pretty exciting. I almost made a couple when I was 18 or 19. Playing persimmon and balata, I hit a 4 wood both times on a couple of different courses. One hit the hole on the fly and tore a chunk out of the hole. The other hit short of the green, rolled up and bounced off the flagstick. I did make both putts for eagle though.

> @aenemated said:

> Yep! #7 at Hyland Hills GC, just outside of Pinehurst. This was one of my dad's favorite courses back in the day - I remember it always being in phenomenal condition and being a pretty fun layout.

>

> So it goes; #7 is a short par 5 - playing around 480 yards if memory serves, though it's uphill the whole way. Got off the tee quite well and had around 200 yards left. Pulled my 4 iron and flushed it about as well as I can hit a golf ball and it was flying RIGHT at the pin. Given it was uphill, I couldn't see where it stopped but I KNEW it was a good shot and was quite stoked to see what I had left for an eagle putt.

>

> My two buddies I was playing with hit their approaches and we walked on up the hill to see three balls - short left, short right and then long - nearly into the woods behind the green - and on the line of the pin. Which I assumed was mine ... thinking I must have REALLY crushed that 4 iron. Kinda bummed I wouldn't have an eagle putt, I walked up to it and realized ... that's not my ball. The other two were definitely my buddies', so I started looking in the woods and all around. Nothing! After a few minutes and quite a bit of profanity; I accepted that my ball was lost and given we were pretty strict with rules back then, I started to walk back to the fairway to play from the original spot. As I was crossing the green, I had a thought ... "There's no way but ... I GOTTA look."

>

> So I did.

>

> And there it was sitting in the bottom of the cup.

>

> There's a bit more to this, though. My dad had passed away the day before from injuries sustained in an auto accident. He was supposed to be in our group that day. I was only even out there because my buddies dragged me out of the house all, "Dude, your dad wanted you to play today. You're playing."

>

> Needless to say, it was a pretty emotional moment. I'm not a religious or spiritual type but I don't doubt for a second he kicked that one in for me.

Good story. I'm not religious or spiritual either. But certainly something suspicious about making an albatross ! You dad probably helped you out! Great story in fact.> @Poser said:

> I made one last year on the holly course at pinewild. We were playing in a money match cart teams best ball with about 12 guys. I was playing horribly all day and my playing partner was really doing well. On hole 14 which is a dogleg left I hit a pretty **** drive. I had 222 to the flag but, there was a large pine tree I would have to go around or over so I was going to lay up. My partner told me just to go for it so I hit a 3 hybrid over the tree and when we get to the green I don't see my ball anywhere so I grab my wedge and putter thinking it ran thru. He goes up and finds it in the hole and we all flipped out. Was pretty awesome. Luckily I can go back and look at it whenever since I had my gamegolf that day to record the round.

>

>

Forgive me, but how many players in your group in a game like this? Just so I can paint a mental picture? Really 12? Anyhow, good job.

> @mcputter said:

> Way back in the olden days (steel shafted wooden woods, balata balls) when I was 14 and playing in a junior tournament, I made a hole in one on a 'par four', so that's an albatross too isn't it? This was on an executive course and the hole was only about 240 yards, but it's listed on the card as a par four.

> The next hole was a 160 yard par three and I hit a 6-iron that was right at the flag, for a second my heart was in my throat and I thought I might go 1-1, but it was about six feet short. I did go 1-2. Good times.

Yes same thing, a rare ace on par 4. If it's listed as a par 4 it's a par 4. Anything above 230 is fair game for a par 4 in my book. Nice story.

> @RickK said:

> I am almost 73 years old. Been playing since I was 22, so for 51 years. Last year I made my first ever double eagle. 2nd shot on par 5...212 out. Blind shot up over a hill. We looked for the ball in front bunker, in rough, and I was about to head back to hit again as I thought the ball was lost. One of the guys yelled at me as I was getting in the cart "You hitting a Callaway with green dots?"

Nice. What club did you hit from 212? You must hit it far for a player your age, makes me wonder how far you hit the ball in your 20s (not that distance matters, accuracy matters most. but it does matter in reaching par 5's in two)

> @Hateto3Putt said:

> My friend made one and two holes later added an ace.

>

> I hate him.

That's funny. I wonder what he plays off and what round score he got with that -5 from 2 holes boost.> @twidener said:

> I've made one, about 25 years ago. Luckily I was able to see it go in the hole. I hit a 3 iron about 215 yds. that landed very softly on the green and rolled toward the hole like a putt. And then disappeared. It was pretty exciting. I almost made a couple when I was 18 or 19. Playing persimmon and balata, I hit a 4 wood both times on a couple of different courses. One hit the hole on the fly and tore a chunk out of the hole. The other hit short of the green, rolled up and bounced off the flagstick. I did make both putts for eagle though.

Nice. Closest I ever got was 3 feet from the hole. I've only hit the hole like that once, from about 60 yards out on a short par 4. Hit my lob wedge straight into the back edge of the hole and damaged the hole. I hit the flagstick lipping out to inches recently on a par 3 after thinning my tee shot on a short par 3 also. These are very rare. More so in your case with it being on par 5's for potentially albatross of course.> @"mizuno player" said:

> Yes. It was pretty neat. In a club tournament. Had about 2 other groups see it. Never a hole in though.....

Keep playing it will come! At least you've bagged an albatross, rarer than a hole in one!> @dennis4190 said:

> I made one about 15 years ago. Blind shot so I didn’t see it go in. We looked all over for the ball and finally looked in the hole.

That happened with my (only) hole in one.

I made one a couple years ago on the fifth hole at my home course. Downhill tee shot and then a dogleg right that’s slightly uphill. Hit an 8i from 185 because when the course is firm you’re better off letting the ball land short and bounce onto the green rather than flying it all the way. Judged it perfectly and watched the ball curl across the green and in.

A week later on the same hole I hit a poor drive, punched out to 165 with my second shot, and then holed that for eagle.

Made in last year on #18 at Cedar Creek here in San Antonio, i actually made a double eagle before I had holes out from the fairway for eagle.

Hit a three wood around 240, while I knew it was heading towards the green I never saw it go in so after a few minutes of looking around the green I was about to give up on it, there’s a pond just to the left of the green and I figured it went in, my buddy said check the hole and when I looked in there it was.....

TaylorMade Sim Max 9.5*
Taylormade M4 Tour 3wood
Nike VRS 18* & 21* Hybrids
TaylorMade P790 5-PW
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50..54..58
Scotty Cameron 009m
Bridgestone Tour Bx

Mine was similar to others listed above. Hit a pure 3 wood from 240+ and we figured I’d have an eagle putt. After looking for the ball over the green for a little, with a pitter-patter in my heart I checked the cup and there it was.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

i have one -- hit driver, 5w.

i was playing with a couple visiting the poconos for their honeymoon (earth-ers). the green slopes hard right to left and front to back; and there is bushes/high grass beyond the green. i hit my 5w and it hit the front of the green right of the pin -- i figured it ran through the green and into the crap.

while i was searching the bushes, i told them they could just putt out -- when the husband did he asked "what ball you playin"..."TP red with 2 black dots"..."it's in the hole"

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

About 15 years ago playing with my brother. Sea Oaks in NJ, 16th hole 515 yard par 5. Actually blocked my drive out over a stand of oaks to the right of the fairway and thought it would be in the trees. Turns out I carried them and caught a nice speed slot in the fairway leaving me just 191 to the hole. From there I jarred a 6 iron. Funny part was my brother, who was getting a stroke on the final 3 holes and had just pressed me, continued to grind on the hole. As he was about to roll his birdie putt I told him, "pick it up, it's good!" He looked at me incredulously, apparently not initially comprehending that his 4 for 3 still wasnt going to beat my 2...lol! He still doesn't like to talk about it!?

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I had one several years ago at Evergreen Point in Baytown (no longer open). I was a member there for quite a few years. It was kind of a dreary day, cold and drizzly. #4, around 480 yards. I pushed my tee shot a little left, and had around 160 to the flag but had to go over a tree right in front of me. I absolutely flushed the ball. The kind of shot that just sounds different. It shot up over the tree and was headed straight at the pin. There was a bunker and a small hill just in front of the green, so I saw the ball bounce once, then lost sight of it. I walked up thinking it was going to be in the rough, but couldnt find it. On a whim, I decided to check the hole and there it was. I threw my hands in the air and turned around only to see that I was the only person on the course, lol. I had a witness for each of my two aces, but this one was just me and mother nature.

2, one this year and one last year. Last year was a hybrid from 230 and the other was from 250 with a 3 wood. Both looked to be on a great line and landed in the right spot to bounce and roll up, my home course is pretty firm, but I couldn’t see either actually go in.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I’ve witnessed one

Playing a tournament and we got an abnormal wind that day so this hole that was a fun risk reward par 5 you had to hit long iron hybrid into normally was straight down wind guys took it past the dogleg in the fairway and we were only hitting wedge /9 into into the hole. Guy in my 3 ball hits a nice shot and looked like It landed near the pin but conditions were tough and it was our first hole.

I go ahead and hit and knew my ball landed near the hole and stopped toward back off the green. I get up there see one ball other guy is bringing his wedges and I check the cup and it’s in the jar

He makes 2 I make 4 and the other guy makes 6 and must have felt he made a 30 on the hole

It's the one thing I still need to do.

The frustration of being a member of a home course where there is only one par 5 and it is the hardest hole on the course!!

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I have two. My first one I really do not even count because the hole was a 470 yard par 5... with a massive dogleg right. One round I literally aimed dead into the woods on the right and blasted it over all the trees and onto the green. Made the putt for a 2 which was my first albatross. Next year they turned it into a par 4. This year in a charity event scramble I hit my drive and we used it. I hit a 7 iron into the green and It landed just short... bounced up... and looked really good. As we approached the green the ball was wedged between the flag and hole... it fell in for an albatross. I was ecstatic until I realized there were no skins and any hole in one that day would have gotten me a car, all inclusive trip the Bahamas, a 2000 amazon gift card and some other amazing prize... but an albatross in the tournament got me zero. I will always have the memory !

I’ve had one. The year was 1997 and the hole was a straightaway par 5 measuring 530 yards. I hit a good drive that just crept into the first cut of rough and was clearly a flier lie. I hit a 2-iron that landed just short of the green, bounced onto the green and disappeared into the cup. One guy yelled out “double eagle!”. Another guy in my group yelled out “albatross!”. The last guy in our group yelled out “what happened?”. I still smile when I think of that shot and the reactions of my companions.

I've made one. Was #1 at Fort in Fresno. Driver + 5i to a back right location.Don't remember the exact yardages any more, but I was probably a sophomore in high school. Hit a driver to the left rough (cutting the corner of the dogleg) and then hit a 5i straight at the pin. Shot never left stick while it was in the air. Was actually able to see it land and disappear. Even then, I didn't really believe I'd made it. Just that it had somehow snuck around and gone long. Long of the this hole rolls down a hill, so I figured I'd just be chipping back and trying to get up and down for a bird. Walked up to the green and checked the hole and it was in there. I don't remember celebrating it much because I didn't realize how rare they were. I think I kept the scorecard, but don't know where it is now. Don't think I broke par that day. Probably shot around 75. I was typically good for 75 on any given day out there. I'd always find a way to grind on the way in if I was struggling, or blow it if I was playing well. lol

Yes was playing in a four man scramble at an FCA event about 5 years ago at our local private course. Our group was driving up to the Par 5 tee box (hole 7) as we saw an event staff member standing by the tee box. He said hello boys your in for a surprise, this whole you will lose some one in your group after each shot sequence. So for example on our approach shot on 3 players hit etc. Well we all hit our drives and I happened to hit about a 290 yard drive down the middle to the 200 yard marker. On my next shot pulled out a 5 iron and hit the shot right at the hole, my ball took a big hop right in front of the green at a flag that was positioned in the middle of the green, my ball disappeared. So the other two guys had already hit and they both were off the green. The FCA director happened to be watching us on this hole, as we get closer to the hole we cant find my ball, the FCA director walked up to the cup and with a big smile pulled my ball out of the hole. It was an exciting experience, my first ever albatross.