2 Rules That Need To Be Enforced On Tour

> @ray9898 said:

> Off all the sports I follow, the golf board has the most whiners by far. It is pro golf, it takes a while, get over it.

And that probably also means that the golf board has more people whining about people that they think are whining. It is a forum for people to discuss things and give their opinions. And just because someone has a different opinion doesn't mean that they are whining.

These guys play a different game, for higher stakes.

Ever watch an MLB game? Takes forever. End of an NBA game can make 2 minutes last for 30, same for NFL. Much more at stake for the pros.

Last few years, at the public courses I play, the rounds have been much shorter than 4 hours, most times they are close to 3. I play on weekend afternoons, usually tee off around 3 3:30.

Last week I played 9 holes in 1:15.

> @Outlier said:

> > @golfandfishing said:

> > While I don’t disagree with either of your ultimate points, you arrive at them in a disingenuous fashion. You say the 40 second rule needs to be enforced, but at all times not just when on the clock. Well, that’s not the rule. You also say players are following Scott and Langer by anchoring putters to their chest. Well, they aren’t following either of those guys if they are anchoring, neither anchor.

>

> Seriously? ....and so does Scott McCarron. That's what MY EYES tell me, and I happen to believe them. your results may vary, but the truth is they are cheating in "plain site".

So based on your eyes the rest of the field is compliant in their charting and are ok with losing money to cheaters.

> @manku said:

> I like the slow play...it's nice seeing pros get steamy over waiting just like I do at my local muni sometimes!

> I don't find pace of play any worse than 30 years ago...if anything, it's better. Sure, there are the occasionally groups you want to nuke, but for the most part I'd say the POP issues are mainly related to competitive golf.

i disagree, but fail to see why people watching tv are irritated by slow play ... they don't show holmes or anyone else going over their entire preshot routine ... they cut to them once they feel they're ready to go, unless it's a tight race on the back 9 on sunday ... no one knows who's playing slow on tv unless announcers mention it ... but slow play for amateurs is pervasive ... might be two to a cart, might be folks trying to emulate what they think a pga tour player does ... but it's a 5 hour round that should take 3, or 3.5 at the most ...

1. No talking with mouth full

2. No running in the hall

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

> @GoGoErky said:

> > @Outlier said:

> > > @golfandfishing said:

> > > While I don’t disagree with either of your ultimate points, you arrive at them in a disingenuous fashion. You say the 40 second rule needs to be enforced, but at all times not just when on the clock. Well, that’s not the rule. You also say players are following Scott and Langer by anchoring putters to their chest. Well, they aren’t following either of those guys if they are anchoring, neither anchor.

> >

> > Seriously? ....and so does Scott McCarron. That's what MY EYES tell me, and I happen to believe them. your results may vary, but the truth is they are cheating in "plain site".

>

> So based on your eyes the rest of the field is compliant in their charting and are ok with losing money to cheaters.

Just like with slow play, the other players (for the most part) don't want the onus to be on them to "call out" the culprits, they rather the "authorities" do it. There are exceptions- as we have witnessed recently with Brooks and others finally willing to go on record admonishing the tour to take some concrete action on slow play. Brandel Chamblee did "put his name on it" and specifically called out McCaron and Langer as you know. Chamblee intimated and I believe many others agree but don't want to go on the record.....and finally it seems pretty obvious that the tour is extremely homogeneous and very much like the fictional "**Lake Wobegone**, -where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average." Nobody dares to rock the boat!

> @"sui generis" said:

> > @2over said:

> > Watching the horror show of slow play that is J.B. Holmes caused this post. The rule that you have 40 seconds to play a shot needs to be enforced. Always. On everyone--and not just when a group is "out of position". They're all out of position because this rule is not enforced! A round of golf with professional players should not ever take longer than 3.5 hours--never, never, no, not ever, no, not once. Slow play is destroying golf, making it horrible to watch as well as play.

> > Also, many players are following Langer and Adam Scott in anchoring long putters to their chests. Several at the Open.

> > While I think the anchoring ban is a dumb rule and poorly written, failing to enforce it invites anarchy in the game. While I'd be OK with just removing the rule (better than having it and letting some players cheat), I think long putters are a bad look and remove an original core skill from the game (controlling the twitchy muscles in your hands/wrists), so my personal preference would be on re-writing the rule this way: "When making a stroke on the putting green, a player may only use the club in his/her bag with the shortest shaft." (this also should prevent chipping on the green; you're welcome :smile:

>

> Why does anyone care how that TV reality show called the PGA Tour conducts its business? Furthermore:

>

> a) Your statement that 40 seconds is a Rule is absolutely false.

> b) You are again completely wrong. Langer, Mc Carron, and Scott are compliant with Rule 10.

>

> Go away and talk about Ricky's white belts or something you could at least appear to have some knowledge of.

The dumb aspect is anyone who actually believes they anchor.

But the base problem was that Mike Davis and others focused on anchoring as the cheat, and very few people bothered to notice that non-anchored long putters work perfectly well. Virtually identical. I posted that here years before the rules change, after some experimentation both ways. It actually frees you up to give a more athletic pass, especially on midrange putts. Guys with legitimate yips will have somewhat more trouble on non-anchored short putts.

Mike Davis somehow thought he was removing the long putter. Meanwhile all he did was eliminate the belly putter in favor of the arm lock method.

Eventually more and more players will switch to the long putter. It is comical right now that only a handful of non-senior pros are using it. Throwing away money.

> @2over said:

> Watching the horror show of slow play that is J.B. Holmes caused this post. The rule that you have 40 seconds to play a shot needs to be enforced. Always. On everyone--and not just when a group is "out of position". They're all out of position because this rule is not enforced! A round of golf with professional players should not ever take longer than 3.5 hours--never, never, no, not ever, no, not once. Slow play is destroying golf, making it horrible to watch as well as play.

> Also, many players are following Langer and Adam Scott in anchoring long putters to their chests. Several at the Open.

> While I think the anchoring ban is a dumb rule and poorly written, failing to enforce it invites anarchy in the game. While I'd be OK with just removing the rule (better than having it and letting some players cheat), I think long putters are a bad look and remove an original core skill from the game (controlling the twitchy muscles in your hands/wrists), so my personal preference would be on re-writing the rule this way: "When making a stroke on the putting green, a player may only use the club in his/her bag with the shortest shaft." (this also should prevent chipping on the green; you're welcome :smile:

Don't forget to throw in there that members on golf forums should at least think a little bit before starting ridiculous threads.

I’ve always hated long putters and anchoring.

The problem is how to write the the rule. I never liked the current anti-anchoring rule and still don’t. I do like the idea of abandoning all attempts to ban the act of anchoring, and instead focusing on putter length. Are there golfers (for instance, with bad backs) who must have a putter of a certain length, even with a normal grip and stroke? How short can we make the limit? I saw a suggestion of 38”. What kind of anchoring can be done with a 38” putter? For a 5’4” LPGA player, that could be a belly putter, right?

I’m all in for a workable rule change. The problem is how to write the rule.

Why the drama about the long putter and why does it really matter if it’s anchored or not?

They’re a pain in the arse to use and a last resort for people who can’t figure their brain out. I haven’t seen anyone light it up with a long putter and Langer’s Senior, sorry, Champion’s, Tour success isn’t because of that putter style. He’s not putting any better than he used to with a “regular” putter before his brain lost control of his brain.

Let them anchor. BFD

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

> @"15th Club" said:

> I’ve always hated long putters and anchoring.

>

> The problem is how to write the the rule. I never liked the current anti-anchoring rule and still don’t. I do like the idea of abandoning all attempts to ban the act of anchoring, and instead focusing on putter length. Are there golfers (for instance, with bad backs) who must have a putter of a certain length, even with a normal grip and stroke? How short can we make the limit? I saw a suggestion of 38”. What kind of anchoring can be done with a 38” putter? For a 5’4” LPGA player, that could be a belly putter, right?

>

> I’m all in for a workable rule change. The problem is how to write the rule.

It burns me when I see Bernhard Langer or Scott McCarron make a whole bunch of putts with the cheater stick. I would re-write the rule to define a stroke that is "levered", that is, one in which one hand is stationary and the other contributes the stroke. And I would ban "levering" strokes, just as croquet strokes, pushes and drags are also banned.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @gvogel said:

> > @"15th Club" said:

> > I’ve always hated long putters and anchoring.

> >

> > The problem is how to write the the rule. I never liked the current anti-anchoring rule and still don’t. I do like the idea of abandoning all attempts to ban the act of anchoring, and instead focusing on putter length. Are there golfers (for instance, with bad backs) who must have a putter of a certain length, even with a normal grip and stroke? How short can we make the limit? I saw a suggestion of 38”. What kind of anchoring can be done with a 38” putter? For a 5’4” LPGA player, that could be a belly putter, right?

> >

> > I’m all in for a workable rule change. The problem is how to write the rule.

>

> It burns me when I see Bernhard Langer or Scott McCarron make a whole bunch of putts with the cheater stick. I would re-write the rule to define a stroke that is "levered", that is, one in which one hand is stationary and the other contributes the stroke. And I would ban "levering" strokes, just as croquet strokes, pushes and drags are also banned.

Or they could redefine anchoring. Anchoring would be defined as a stroke during which the top end of the putter doesn't move. That would ban belly and the long stick. Because, even when the hand is held slightly off the chest, the left arm and forearm are anchored.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @gvogel said:

> > @gvogel said:

> > > @"15th Club" said:

> > > I’ve always hated long putters and anchoring.

> > >

> > > The problem is how to write the the rule. I never liked the current anti-anchoring rule and still don’t. I do like the idea of abandoning all attempts to ban the act of anchoring, and instead focusing on putter length. Are there golfers (for instance, with bad backs) who must have a putter of a certain length, even with a normal grip and stroke? How short can we make the limit? I saw a suggestion of 38”. What kind of anchoring can be done with a 38” putter? For a 5’4” LPGA player, that could be a belly putter, right?

> > >

> > > I’m all in for a workable rule change. The problem is how to write the rule.

> >

> > It burns me when I see Bernhard Langer or Scott McCarron make a whole bunch of putts with the cheater stick. I would re-write the rule to define a stroke that is "levered", that is, one in which one hand is stationary and the other contributes the stroke. And I would ban "levering" strokes, just as croquet strokes, pushes and drags are also banned.

>

> Or they could redefine anchoring. Anchoring would be defined as a stroke during which the top end of the putter doesn't move. That would ban belly and the long stick. Because, even when the hand is held slightly off the chest, the left arm and forearm are anchored.

Can you possibly imagine enforcing a rule like that? Different players hands move differently in the putting stroke. Those that are more wristy, like Arnie back in the day, barely move that top hand. Are they potentially in violation by your rule?

That is what 15 is saying.... It's a nightmare to write a rule that works.

PS the guys you mentioned are not cheating, nor is the putter they are using a "cheater stick".

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

What the heck do we care how long it takes pro golfers to play? If the camera is on one group for too long, fast forward through it just as with commercials.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

> @Shilgy said:

> > @gvogel said:

> > > @gvogel said:

> > > > @"15th Club" said:

> > > > I’ve always hated long putters and anchoring.

> > > >

> > > > The problem is how to write the the rule. I never liked the current anti-anchoring rule and still don’t. I do like the idea of abandoning all attempts to ban the act of anchoring, and instead focusing on putter length. Are there golfers (for instance, with bad backs) who must have a putter of a certain length, even with a normal grip and stroke? How short can we make the limit? I saw a suggestion of 38”. What kind of anchoring can be done with a 38” putter? For a 5’4” LPGA player, that could be a belly putter, right?

> > > >

> > > > I’m all in for a workable rule change. The problem is how to write the rule.

> > >

> > > It burns me when I see Bernhard Langer or Scott McCarron make a whole bunch of putts with the cheater stick. I would re-write the rule to define a stroke that is "levered", that is, one in which one hand is stationary and the other contributes the stroke. And I would ban "levering" strokes, just as croquet strokes, pushes and drags are also banned.

> >

> > Or they could redefine anchoring. Anchoring would be defined as a stroke during which the top end of the putter doesn't move. That would ban belly and the long stick. Because, even when the hand is held slightly off the chest, the left arm and forearm are anchored.

>

> Can you possibly imagine enforcing a rule like that? Different players hands move differently in the putting stroke. Those that are more wristy, like Arnie back in the day, barely move that top hand. Are they potentially in violation by your rule?

> That is what 15 is saying.... It's a nightmare to write a rule that works.

>

> PS the guys you mentioned are not cheating, nor is the putter they are using a "cheater stick".

Agreed, it's not cheating if they're following the rules in place at the time.

Anyways, you'd still have the exact same problem as some have right now: They think McCarron and Langher are anchoring, but they're actually leaving a very small gap between chest and club. Hard to see. So imagine trying to see if there's actually any movement at the top end of the putter. What if there's very little movement? I'll bet there's a little movement at the top by both McCarron and Langher even now.

Having said that, the whole anchoring thing is still much ado about nothing. I still think they made a mistake allowing mallet putters and it's been downhill ever since.

> @"15th Club" said:

> About the last two posts on this page...

>

> I had always thought that the best way to express my contempt for long putts was to say to their owners; “I feel so sorry for you; how bad did your putting get, before you reverted to that?”

>

> But I’m not sure how I could ever say that to Langer.

“It was pretty bad. I mean, most scratch players still would have called it good, but those hacks have no idea how bad they actually are. Now, help me lift this trophy, it’s heavy.” - Vijay Singh

> @Shilgy said:

> > @gvogel said:

> > > @gvogel said:

> > > > @"15th Club" said:

> > > > I’ve always hated long putters and anchoring.

> > > >

> > > > The problem is how to write the the rule. I never liked the current anti-anchoring rule and still don’t. I do like the idea of abandoning all attempts to ban the act of anchoring, and instead focusing on putter length. Are there golfers (for instance, with bad backs) who must have a putter of a certain length, even with a normal grip and stroke? How short can we make the limit? I saw a suggestion of 38”. What kind of anchoring can be done with a 38” putter? For a 5’4” LPGA player, that could be a belly putter, right?

> > > >

> > > > I’m all in for a workable rule change. The problem is how to write the rule.

> > >

> > > It burns me when I see Bernhard Langer or Scott McCarron make a whole bunch of putts with the cheater stick. I would re-write the rule to define a stroke that is "levered", that is, one in which one hand is stationary and the other contributes the stroke. And I would ban "levering" strokes, just as croquet strokes, pushes and drags are also banned.

> >

> > Or they could redefine anchoring. Anchoring would be defined as a stroke during which the top end of the putter doesn't move. That would ban belly and the long stick. Because, even when the hand is held slightly off the chest, the left arm and forearm are anchored.

>

> Can you possibly imagine enforcing a rule like that? Different players hands move differently in the putting stroke. Those that are more wristy, like Arnie back in the day, barely move that top hand. Are they potentially in violation by your rule?

> That is what 15 is saying.... It's a nightmare to write a rule that works.

>

> PS the guys you mentioned are not cheating, nor is the putter they are using a "cheater stick".

Look, if you can't see the difference between Arnie back in the day with his wristy stroke, and Langer and McCarron today with the broom stick, I have pity on you.

There must be a way to define a rule that will allow Arnie, and not allow what Langer and McCarron are doing.

Arnie was playing a golf stroke. Langer is doing something else. I remember having brunch with my son and a former girlfriend during Sunday at the Masters. She saw Adam Scott with his long putter, and asked "is that legal?" Out of the mouth of babes.

Ban the claw/pencil grip. I don't like how it looks and it takes the twitchy trail hand muscles out of the stroke.

Ban 460 cc driver heads. They look ridiculous and are way too easy to hit.

Ban lob wedges. They make flop shots too easy.

See how dumb this sounds?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

> @MaineMariner said:

> Ban the claw/pencil grip. I don't like how it looks and it takes the twitchy trail hand muscles out of the stroke.

>

> Ban 460 cc driver heads. They look ridiculous and are way too easy to hit.

>

> Ban lob wedges. They make flop shots too easy.

>

> See how dumb this sounds?

You're off point. If I use a claw/pencil grip, both of my hands are involved with making the stroke. Same as left hand low, or pointer finger down the shaft - any number of grips. Both hands are working together.

Ban 460 cc driver heads? I'm all for that. Bifurcate the rules. See who wants to play the more difficult drivers that the pros will have to play. You're on your own there. It will take more talent to play consistently, which is what we expect from elite golfers.

Ban lob wedges? Who cares. It's one of 14 clubs, and few have the talent to use them.

I say ban the long putter in some way, because it isn't a golf stroke. Maybe they will find their way to putt-putt.

How about you get 40 seconds to play a shot, and you get a "bank" of an additional 5 or 10 minutes that you can use however you see fit?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @AndersUK said:

> The easiest way to define the rule is to make it compulsory for the right hand to be in contact with the left hand at the moment the club makes contact with the ball.

> This would eliminate conventional anchoring and the anchoring of the the arm with the opposite hand.

>

This bans the claw grip or any variation of it.

Why does anyone think R10.1b needs fixing? It's been around for several years and survived intact in the 2019 Rules modernization effort. The unanchored long putter is a pretty rare sight, generally only employed by a very small group of older folks with bad backs or an essential tremor. Furthermore, those tasked with the Rules enforcement don't seem bothered by the language of the Rule. The Rule as written seems to have solved the problem, the anchored belly method, that it was aimed at.

• Like 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

I think one reason slow play has become such an issue is a result of how networks deliver their coverage. If the networks didn't show guys like JB taking 2 minutes to make a stroke, we probably would know he took 2 minutes to make a stroke.

I've been to numerous tour events and a 5+ hour round is normal, especially with threesomes. In my observation groups move around the course rather quickly. They tend to take the most time on and around the greens, and on par 3 tee boxes. They all walk briskly from shot to shot and don't spend a lot of time teeing off on par 4s and 5s - they usually know what club they are going to hit; they pull it, line up and let it rip.

One thing that seems to cause back-ups on the course at tour events is the need for a rules official every time a player has a rules question. I suppose past incidents of viewers calling in rules infractions has made many players gun-shy. I've seen players request a rules official for simple things like where to drop along a hazard margin. It grinds play to a halt.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

> @GoGoErky said:

> > @AndersUK said:

> > The easiest way to define the rule is to make it compulsory for the right hand to be in contact with the left hand at the moment the club makes contact with the ball.

> > This would eliminate conventional anchoring and the anchoring of the the arm with the opposite hand.

> >

> This bans the claw grip or any variation of it.

>

That is not correct. Many already have hands touching with that grip and for those that don't touching the top of the right hand with the the bottom of the left would not be that big a change.

For the most part I like this, and for us folks playing our golf pretty reasonable to enforce/monitor. But when galleries are involved it’s subjective when that clock starts. If Rickie Fowler hits it to 2 feet on 16 in Scottsdale on Saturday the place is going to nutso and it would take 15 minutes to clear the green of the bras and panties that got thrown. He’s playing with everyone’s favorite Ian Poulter who catches a rash of sh— from the inebriated bros when he tees it up. When does his 40 seconds start?

> @Obee said:

> How about you get 40 seconds to play a shot, and you get a "bank" of an additional 5 or 10 minutes that you can use however you see fit?