Hurricane Junior tour

The US Kids summer tour is done for the season and I was looking around for tours for my 10 yr old to play in the Richmond VA vicinity. Options were VSGA which has really gone downhill in the last couple of years in attracting a lot of players or the Hurricane tour.

Qn1 : Are the events well run?

Qn2: The HJT is charging 295$ for a 2 day event at a course that charges 55$ to ride 18 on weekends, that seems like an awfully high markup on a so so course.

Thoughts?

M1 Tour AD GP 6s
Bio Cell+ 3 W Red Tie
Adams OS 3 4 Hybrid
Mizuno MP H5 5 - PW
Miura Tournament 50 55 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Anxious to hear responses. I almost signed up my son for one last year, but saw they do not post who or how many kids are signed up. I called the director and he wouldn't tell me, saying it would be released after the sign up window closes. So I passed and checked back to see that there was only one kid in the age group signed up. Left a bad taste that they try to wrap you in to a $255 tournament only to compete against 1 other kid. A golf pro once told me "it takes 2 to get 6 (signed up)".....

Hurricane Tour Tournaments are some of the best run out there and worth the price. Obvious that they don't read the GolfWRX junior forums. The biggest complaint I have is that they don't show the field unless they have a certain amount playing. If tournaments doesn't have a quality field with at least 50 participants I am probably not signing him up for it. Have talked to many other parents that feel the same way.

• Thanks 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

My experience with my son is a bit mixed. On the pro side, as Heavy mentions above, they are generally very well run. They also use technology where they hand phones out to each group that enables live scoring which is a great feature especially if you can’t be there to be able to watch as are scores posted in real time. In our area of Tennessee, they generally have events at good (private) courses which is an added bonus.

Most of the cons have been listed, not being able to determine field size and strength is a definite issue. Here in Tennessee, some tournaments are well attended, others are not. We also have had some issues with weather situations and them not having the staff to adequately inform and thus get kids off the course. As to the cost, it is very evident that they are a for-profit business and therefore the markup is how they’re making their money. I do know they do offer free tournament entry fees if you were willing to host their staff, so again it’s very evident that they are a for-profit business trying to do everything they can to maximize margin (Can’t blame them for that).

With that said, they are a definite choice for us as we look to plan out our junior tournament schedule. We are lucky enough here in Tennessee that Brandt Snedeker runs a summer tour which is phenomenal, but for spring and fall, we do supplement and play in a number of the hurricane events.

great post @cubuffs I think till the kids hit 12 there is only but so much you can do. My son is 10, the 12 year olds in Richmond VA seem to have so many options to play all summer. There are so many invitationals that are at the city level for them to stay busy.

• Like 1

M1 Tour AD GP 6s
Bio Cell+ 3 W Red Tie
Adams OS 3 4 Hybrid
Mizuno MP H5 5 - PW
Miura Tournament 50 55 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @thekingsolly said:

> The US Kids summer tour is done for the season and I was looking around for tours for my 10 yr old to play in the Richmond VA vicinity. Options were VSGA which has really gone downhill in the last couple of years in attracting a lot of players or the Hurricane tour.

> Qn1 : Are the events well run?

> Qn2: The HJT is charging 295$ for a 2 day event at a course that charges 55$ to ride 18 on weekends, that seems like an awfully high markup on a so so course.

>

> Thoughts?

Personally, we have steered away from the HJGT. While its a 36 hole event and that seems to be what everyone is after. I've heard the quality of the inner working has gone downhill. Rumor has it that a real estate company purchased ( a few years ago) it with the hopes all of getting of the information on players parents. Then they could market real estate properties to them.

• 3 weeks later...

> @TripleBogeysrbetter said:

> > @thekingsolly said:

> > The US Kids summer tour is done for the season and I was looking around for tours for my 10 yr old to play in the Richmond VA vicinity. Options were VSGA which has really gone downhill in the last couple of years in attracting a lot of players or the Hurricane tour.

> > Qn1 : Are the events well run?

> > Qn2: The HJT is charging 295$ for a 2 day event at a course that charges 55$ to ride 18 on weekends, that seems like an awfully high markup on a so so course.

> >

> > Thoughts?

>

> Personally, we have steered away from the HJGT. While its a 36 hole event and that seems to be what everyone is after. I've heard the quality of the inner working has gone downhill. Rumor has it that a real estate company purchased ( a few years ago) it with the hopes all of getting of the information on players parents. Then they could market real estate properties to them.

Wow is this real? So we are signed up for the USKids Monterey Challenge in a few months, but heard that there is a HJGT tournament on the same weekend at a much better course (Bayonett Blackhorse). Its a 36 hole event and the entry is only $175, which is almost half the USKids fee. Given what I've heard so far, it seems like we should pass on the HJGT. The only way I would consider it was if there was going to be good competition.

> @kekoa said:

> > @TripleBogeysrbetter said:

> > > @thekingsolly said:

> > > The US Kids summer tour is done for the season and I was looking around for tours for my 10 yr old to play in the Richmond VA vicinity. Options were VSGA which has really gone downhill in the last couple of years in attracting a lot of players or the Hurricane tour.

> > > Qn1 : Are the events well run?

> > > Qn2: The HJT is charging 295$ for a 2 day event at a course that charges 55$ to ride 18 on weekends, that seems like an awfully high markup on a so so course.

> > >

> > > Thoughts?

> >

> > Personally, we have steered away from the HJGT. While its a 36 hole event and that seems to be what everyone is after. I've heard the quality of the inner working has gone downhill. Rumor has it that a real estate company purchased ( a few years ago) it with the hopes all of getting of the information on players parents. Then they could market real estate properties to them.

>

> Wow is this real? So we are signed up for the USKids Monterey Challenge in a few months, but heard that there is a HJGT tournament on the same weekend at a much better course (Bayonett Blackhorse). Its a 36 hole event and the entry is only $175, which is almost half the USKids fee. Given what I've heard so far, it seems like we should pass on the HJGT. The only way I would consider it was if there was going to be good competition.

Not one boy signed up in Ben's division yet.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > > @TripleBogeysrbetter said:

> > > > @thekingsolly said:

> > > > The US Kids summer tour is done for the season and I was looking around for tours for my 10 yr old to play in the Richmond VA vicinity. Options were VSGA which has really gone downhill in the last couple of years in attracting a lot of players or the Hurricane tour.

> > > > Qn1 : Are the events well run?

> > > > Qn2: The HJT is charging 295$ for a 2 day event at a course that charges 55$ to ride 18 on weekends, that seems like an awfully high markup on a so so course.

> > > >

> > > > Thoughts?

> > >

> > > Personally, we have steered away from the HJGT. While its a 36 hole event and that seems to be what everyone is after. I've heard the quality of the inner working has gone downhill. Rumor has it that a real estate company purchased ( a few years ago) it with the hopes all of getting of the information on players parents. Then they could market real estate properties to them.

> >

> > Wow is this real? So we are signed up for the USKids Monterey Challenge in a few months, but heard that there is a HJGT tournament on the same weekend at a much better course (Bayonett Blackhorse). Its a 36 hole event and the entry is only $175, which is almost half the USKids fee. Given what I've heard so far, it seems like we should pass on the HJGT. The only way I would consider it was if there was going to be good competition.

>

> Not one boy signed up in Ben's division yet.

Play him up @kekoa - he can hang with JG, EH and AA. It's only 5,675 yards.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @kekoa said:

> > > > @TripleBogeysrbetter said:

> > > > > @thekingsolly said:

> > > > > The US Kids summer tour is done for the season and I was looking around for tours for my 10 yr old to play in the Richmond VA vicinity. Options were VSGA which has really gone downhill in the last couple of years in attracting a lot of players or the Hurricane tour.

> > > > > Qn1 : Are the events well run?

> > > > > Qn2: The HJT is charging 295$ for a 2 day event at a course that charges 55$ to ride 18 on weekends, that seems like an awfully high markup on a so so course.

> > > > >

> > > > > Thoughts?

> > > >

> > > > Personally, we have steered away from the HJGT. While its a 36 hole event and that seems to be what everyone is after. I've heard the quality of the inner working has gone downhill. Rumor has it that a real estate company purchased ( a few years ago) it with the hopes all of getting of the information on players parents. Then they could market real estate properties to them.

> > >

> > > Wow is this real? So we are signed up for the USKids Monterey Challenge in a few months, but heard that there is a HJGT tournament on the same weekend at a much better course (Bayonett Blackhorse). Its a 36 hole event and the entry is only $175, which is almost half the USKids fee. Given what I've heard so far, it seems like we should pass on the HJGT. The only way I would consider it was if there was going to be good competition.

> >

> > Not one boy signed up in Ben's division yet.

>

> Play him up @kekoa - he can hang with JG, EH and AA. It's only 5,675 yards.

You crazy man? JG and EH each have Ben by like 75 lbs.

we've done a number of Hurricane tournaments. Haven't experienced any of the real estate marketing issues.. Mario Conte has owned the tour since the beginning. I do know that Tiger Woods and Justin Timberlake bought a stake of company a few years ago. The only issue we've ever had is the price (which is no different then FCG or US Kids) and field size (small on west coast). They just haven't been able to take away market share from the established tours on the west coast. BUT they run a much better tournament. Swag is always pretty good. Always officials around when needed. Never slow play issues. Social media is the best. Their ambassador program is super cool. Plus each group during a round is provided a cell phone with HJGT app that shows LIVE SCORING so you always know where you stand during a tournament. I was happy to see that they lowered the price to $175 for this event. Hopefully people will play and see for themselves.

> @mocabo said:

> we've done a number of Hurricane tournaments. Haven't experienced any of the real estate marketing issues.. Mario Conte has owned the tour since the beginning. I do know that Tiger Woods and Justin Timberlake bought a stake of company a few years ago. The only issue we've ever had is the price (which is no different then FCG or US Kids) and field size (small on west coast). They just haven't been able to take away market share from the established tours on the west coast. BUT they run a much better tournament. Swag is always pretty good. Always officials around when needed. Never slow play issues. Social media is the best. Their ambassador program is super cool. Plus each group during a round is provided a cell phone with HJGT app that shows LIVE SCORING so you always know where you stand during a tournament. I was happy to see that they lowered the price to $175 for this event. Hopefully people will play and see for themselves.

Their events are the same in Florida. Really well run events, but they can't compete with the state FJT and PGA tours. They price themselves out in my opinion and the better players don't play Hurricane events in Florida. My son has only played in one which was on a whim last year. Very well run. Slow play was terrible.

Their new website is awful.

so at the end of the day is you are planning on November 2-3 trip to Monterey and your choice is between US Kids Monterey Challenge at $375 (at Monterey Pines, Laguna Seca, or Del Monte) vs. Hurricane tour at $175 at Bayonet and Black Horse. Then I'd choose HJGT any day of the week...Assuming there are at least 5 kids in my division so scores count towards JuniorGolfScoreboard. Both tours are highly visible with signage (so it looks like a big deal to kids upon arrival to course).

Both tours offer cool swag.

Both usually offer food or lunch coupons.

Big difference for me is HJGT has more interns around when needed and pace of play is always enforced.

> @mocabo said:

> we've done a number of Hurricane tournaments. Haven't experienced any of the real estate marketing issues.. Mario Conte has owned the tour since the beginning. I do know that Tiger Woods and Justin Timberlake bought a stake of company a few years ago. The only issue we've ever had is the price (which is no different then FCG or US Kids) and field size (small on west coast). They just haven't been able to take away market share from the established tours on the west coast. BUT they run a much better tournament. Swag is always pretty good. Always officials around when needed. Never slow play issues. Social media is the best. Their ambassador program is super cool. Plus each group during a round is provided a cell phone with HJGT app that shows LIVE SCORING so you always know where you stand during a tournament. I was happy to see that they lowered the price to $175 for this event. Hopefully people will play and see for themselves.

Hey Moe,

I think we met at Alhambra. If we can get the whole crew to sign up it may be worth joining. I'll let you know.

> @mocabo said:

My understanding is Mario sold it. He is still in a leadership role, but no longer actually owns HJGT.

• 1 year later...

My son played his first HJGT today and I was pretty impressed.  No frills and well run.  Just a few thoughts though.  It seems like the marshals don't know the rules very well.  It takes a long time for them to make a ruling.  Not sure if they are calling someone else more knowledgeable or looking a rule up online.  Also, they gave all the kids a small device for live scoring.  It was kind of a distraction for the kids to be able to look up where they stood against the field.  I guess this can be good or bad.  Lastly, the fields are very small still.  We played in the 11-13 age group and there were about 24 players, but the other ages had very few.  Only reason 11-13 had such a big field was one of the dads we knew got everyone else to play.

Overall, I look forward to playing more HJGT events.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, kekoa said:

My son played his first HJGT today and I was pretty impressed.  No frills and well run.  Just a few thoughts though.  It seems like the marshals don't know the rules very well.  It takes a long time for them to make a ruling.  Not sure if they are calling someone else more knowledgeable or looking a rule up online.  Also, they gave all the kids a small device for live scoring.  It was kind of a distraction for the kids to be able to look up where they stood against the field.  I guess this can be good or bad.  Lastly, the fields are very small still.  We played in the 11-13 age group and there were about 24 players, but the other ages had very few.  Only reason 11-13 had such a big field was one of the dads we knew got everyone else to play.

Your son is very fortunate that so many of his peers signed up to play.  Our experience has been much more hit or miss: hardly any of the top ranked players in our area compete in HJGT events, and because the tournaments are staffed by assistants or interns the rulings and decision making can be at times questionable.  It is a very good alternative for high school players who do not qualify for and/or want to supplement AJGA and the local junior PGA section.

We are in north Georgia and the Georgia jr pga, North America jr golf (formally north Georgia jr golf) and GSGA have the monopoly and the prices are better. As far as compatition goes it's hard to find a solid 18 hole field with alot of kids. Seems that after 13yo the fields are much larger with a solid group of kids 

This thread is old but HGJT is a well run tour.

HJGT is what I wound call a developmental tour.  The courses and setups are much closer to AJGA. So knowing this you can play them and get a good idea of where what will shoot course.  Playing there tournaments you will defiantly get better too.

We played a lot HJGT and have seen the kids winning move on and do very well in AJGA tournaments. I also seen kids who can’t hack the harder setups. We also run into a lot international kids who are very good and up and coming players.

i assume also it can vary a lot around the country but overall they are great.  I would avoid doing the younger age groups with caddies unless your looking for nice courses and willing to spend the money on tournaments.

20 hours ago, kekoa said:

In Florida they HJGT have officials who know the rules very well.  The best HJGT tournaments officials are around Orlando for sure because it is near there headquarters. 

they also get pretty large and tough competition around Orlando and their better events. 

the phones they use for scoring are great it does take a few tournaments for a kid to get used to them.  They can call an official from the app.

Here in Florida they have a lot officials and they will randomly count the scores the kids getting on a hole and match to what is being entered. I seen a lot kids get DQ if they can’t keep score correct.  

12 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

This thread is old but HGJT is a well run tour.

HJGT is what I wound call a developmental tour.  The courses and setups are much closer to AJGA. So knowing this you can play them and get a good idea of where what will shoot course.  Playing there tournaments you will defiantly get better too.

We played a lot HJGT and have seen the kids winning move on and do very well in AJGA tournaments. I also seen kids who can’t hack the harder setups. We also run into a lot international kids who are very good and up and coming players.

i assume also it can vary a lot around the country but overall they are great.  I would avoid doing the younger age groups with caddies unless your looking for nice courses and willing to spend the money on tournaments.

I don't find HJGT or AJGA to be difficult set ups at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

I don't find HJGT or AJGA to be difficult set ups at all.

It really depends on the course you play.  I have found both AJGA and HJGT almost always have fair pin placements.

When I say harder setup I am talking about better courses which you don't always get with other tours.    Not all HJGT are great courses but I am only talking about the better courses they play. They have a lot tournaments so some goat tracks are going to be on their list.

Since Covid it really has been even a bigger issue since a pga and state gold associations lost access to nice country clubs and have to play on goat tracks with lousy pin placements.  

On 1/10/2021 at 12:17 AM, kekoa said:

I like online scoring, but there is no need to give the kids a device.  Kids have their own phones.  AJGA, FJT and most organizations are now requiring live scoring through Golf Genius on your own device.  No paper being given anymore and the phone acts as the official scorecard.

19 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

I like online scoring, but there is no need to give the kids a device.  Kids have their own phones.  AJGA, FJT and most organizations are now requiring live scoring through Golf Genius on your own device.  No paper being given anymore and the phone acts as the official scorecard.

I think they brought the devices when they were needed so they just use them.  I have a feeling that they will eventually allow kids to use their own phones and devices.  

I think there is USGA rule or interpretation your not supposed to use your phone during a round   but with everyone using apps for scoring I think that rule needs to be relaxed a bit.