2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Akshay Bhatia skipping college and going pro at 18

gatorpedsMD

> @MountainGoat said:

> I wonder what Ty Tryon does for a living.

The article is 16 months old, but I think the answer is "pro golfer."

https://www.pgatour.com/korn-ferry-tour/tour-insider/2018/03/28/ty-tryon-returns-savannah-golf-championship.html

He was a PGA Tour rookie with Luke Donald, Boo Weekley, Pat Perez and Ben Crane.

Meanwhile, tour pro at 17 Justin Rose has $53,000,000 and change on the US PGA Tour alone and a US Open trophy.

> @chiva said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > I see he is in the field for the Safeway Open in a couple of months time, incidentally Tony Romo also accepted an invite.

>

> Tony Romo LOL! Now there’s a great use of a sponsors exemption. LOL. Kind a like the bearded lady at the circus. Just a freak show to sell tickets.

>

Here we go.

Again.

> @OutBackHack said:

> > @chiva said:

> > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > I see he is in the field for the Safeway Open in a couple of months time, incidentally Tony Romo also accepted an invite.

> >

> > Tony Romo LOL! Now there’s a great use of a sponsors exemption. LOL. Kind a like the bearded lady at the circus. Just a freak show to sell tickets.

> >

>

> Here we go.

>

> Again.

Off topic, but am I wrong??

$$$$

> @chiva said:

> > @OutBackHack said:

> > > @chiva said:

> > > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > I see he is in the field for the Safeway Open in a couple of months time, incidentally Tony Romo also accepted an invite.

> > >

> > > Tony Romo LOL! Now there’s a great use of a sponsors exemption. LOL. Kind a like the bearded lady at the circus. Just a freak show to sell tickets.

> > >

> >

> > Here we go.

> >

> > Again.

>

> Off topic, but am I wrong??

>

>

So you're aware this is a thing then?

> @Redjeep83 said:

> > @Sixcat said:

> > > @FLgolfer16 said:

> > > > @Sixcat said:

> > > > > @HoosierMizuno said:

> > > > > > @"Oliver Klozoff" said:

> > > > > > I don't understand people saying he needs to go to college. It's so conventional to do it by the book. And what does it get you? College is a giant waste, and I have a masters degree. Of course employers want people that took the conventional approach. It's the safe play. But frankly if they want a programmer, they'd be better off finding a talented HS student and putting them through training specific to the job. At least half the material you learn in college (probably 95% actually) you never use. Sure you get some extra social skills, but are those social skills the ones you need to live a successful life? Does it help him to learn to drink as much as a frat guy, or hone in on a babe, to read a book for hours, or cram for a test, or attend snoozer lecture, or deal with a freshman roommate that stays up until 3 am?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Amazingly the world got along just fine before colleges existed. Frankly I'm surprised so many people feel the need to go to college. I doubt that many kids actually want to. Maybe to get away from their parents.

> > > > > > Mainly we all did it to check the requisite box so employers will hire us.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > He's very lucky to have the option to do what he enjoys right away. Most people aren't. Good for him.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > "So employers will hire us".... this is the part of the equation that often gets glossed over. kids will continue to feel the need or requirement in getting a degree up until employers begin changing their attitudes towards a diploma and focus on the individual, training, and desire to work. Like you said, there are so many reasons a kid should be able to bypass college, take job specific training, and get hired. but employers aren't looking to kids who want to take this route. they simply start every job ad with college degree required.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > My firm hasn't hired based on college degree in a number of years. We are perfectly willing to train the right individual to fit our needs and have done so with a fair amount of success. We have some extremely talented licensed professional engineers and support staff who have been in the civil and environmental engineering fields for decades. It's a golden opportunity for a self-motivated kid with intelligence and desire to learn at the hand of this talent. We aren't giving them anything, however. That is usually the underlying reason for someone not being chosen for this program. The learning curve is pretty steep and they have to be willing to put forth the required effort. That isn't always the case. Some kids get an idea of what is required within a few weeks and never return. Others don't see the benefit of following company design standards and practices and get asked to leave.

> > > >

> > > > With that said, this process has some risk for the employer that cannot be overlooked. Putting the time, effort and expense into training someone only to have them leave is the biggest and most obvious. Which is likely the biggest reason most employers would rather seek formally educated staff rather than potentially waste time, effort and expense in training people for their competitors benefit. We have lost a handful for reasons that didn't sit very well with us. After spending three or four years training someone for a position they weren't remotely qualified for at 18 years of age only to have them jump over to a competitor hurts in more ways than one. We are currently developing methods of being better at the selection process along with requiring term contracts based on the level of training and experience we offer the candidates.

> > > >

> > > > It's a work in progress but so far, the positives outweigh the negatives. Unfortunately, we have learned to mostly steer clear of the "homeschooled" kids. They have unanimously been a pain in the **** in more ways than one!

> > >

> > > i would like to hear ur comments on homeschooled kids? I feel that homeschooling really does a disservice to the child's social development.

> >

> > My opinions on the subject are nothing ground breaking. By-in-large, it has been our experience that homeschool kids are kept in a "perfect environment" by their parents. They are never allowed to face adversity. Watching someone face adversity for the first time as an adult is a unique experience. We deal a lot with government agencies. Having a project reviewed by one of those agencies is typically a 90 day process but one that is necessary in order to receive the proper permitting required to go to construction. Most clients rarely understand this and can get testy in the downtime, regardless of how often we explain the process to them. Basically, it's a lot of "hurry up and wait." So we field the same call from the same client week after week and they are sometimes upset with the process.

> >

> > Another key fundamental flaw we found is terrible time management skills. Homeschool kids don't have class schedules to follow. Dedicated times to be at a specific location. Therefore, they don't form these skills during childhood and rarely get those skills from the parents. **Fumbling into the office at 9am when everyone else has been hard at work for at least two hours is a problem. Taking two hour lunch breaks almost every day is a problem. Having mom and dad come to the office for an hour to chit-chat is a problem. Heading to the gym/church/babysit a younger sibling at 4pm is a problem. Added up, the above example would be a 5 hour work day! That was more often than not, a normal day for some. Understanding the importance of meeting deadlines was also something that was nonexistent. **

> >

> > In no way am I saying this is indicative of every homeschool kid. But it was unanimous in the kids we have seen come through our program.

> >

> > Back on topic, Bahtia will learn a lot of these skills through the game of golf. I'm sure most of this will never be an issue for him.

>

> Not sure that is a homeschool thing, lol. Many places are flexible with the time you start your day whether it's 7am or 9am, leaving early everyday would be an issue though. Need to make sure your putting in your 8. Just depends if you made it clear to them that you want them there at 7am and they don't listen.

> On the starting early thing, I have found many of those people that come in super early, come straight to the cafeteria and sit down with their breakfast and coffee and then leave around 2:30pm, lol. So I mean, it goes both ways.

>

If you're coming to work at 9am in an engineering environment, you're not going to last very long. Just saying, our contracts have a "shelf-life" that requires them to be submitted to various agencies as well as the client by a certain date. If we miss that deadline, we are typically "fined" a set dollar amount for every day we are late as per the contract documents. Additionally, "putting in your 8" is a foreign concept and we don't have a cafeteria. I am in my office by 6:30 every morning and rarely leave before 5:30 every afternoon. Everyone else in my office follows a similar routine. It's just the nature of the beast in this business. If we don't stay on top of these projects, we fall behind. And we can't afford to fall behind.

The college and/or high school interns we have brought in over the years seem to grasp time management far better than the dozen or so home schooled kids we have brought in for internships. The difference is quite palpable! I wish the kid well and fully agree, college isn't for everyone. But he better have a back-up plan of some kind because history tells us some incredible amateurs didn't pan out in professional golf. He's not guaranteed anything on any Tour!

> @Sixcat said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > @Sixcat said:

> > > > @FLgolfer16 said:

> > > > > @Sixcat said:

> > > > > > @HoosierMizuno said:

> > > > > > > @"Oliver Klozoff" said:

> > > > > > > I don't understand people saying he needs to go to college. It's so conventional to do it by the book. And what does it get you? College is a giant waste, and I have a masters degree. Of course employers want people that took the conventional approach. It's the safe play. But frankly if they want a programmer, they'd be better off finding a talented HS student and putting them through training specific to the job. At least half the material you learn in college (probably 95% actually) you never use. Sure you get some extra social skills, but are those social skills the ones you need to live a successful life? Does it help him to learn to drink as much as a frat guy, or hone in on a babe, to read a book for hours, or cram for a test, or attend snoozer lecture, or deal with a freshman roommate that stays up until 3 am?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Amazingly the world got along just fine before colleges existed. Frankly I'm surprised so many people feel the need to go to college. I doubt that many kids actually want to. Maybe to get away from their parents.

> > > > > > > Mainly we all did it to check the requisite box so employers will hire us.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > He's very lucky to have the option to do what he enjoys right away. Most people aren't. Good for him.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > "So employers will hire us".... this is the part of the equation that often gets glossed over. kids will continue to feel the need or requirement in getting a degree up until employers begin changing their attitudes towards a diploma and focus on the individual, training, and desire to work. Like you said, there are so many reasons a kid should be able to bypass college, take job specific training, and get hired. but employers aren't looking to kids who want to take this route. they simply start every job ad with college degree required.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > My firm hasn't hired based on college degree in a number of years. We are perfectly willing to train the right individual to fit our needs and have done so with a fair amount of success. We have some extremely talented licensed professional engineers and support staff who have been in the civil and environmental engineering fields for decades. It's a golden opportunity for a self-motivated kid with intelligence and desire to learn at the hand of this talent. We aren't giving them anything, however. That is usually the underlying reason for someone not being chosen for this program. The learning curve is pretty steep and they have to be willing to put forth the required effort. That isn't always the case. Some kids get an idea of what is required within a few weeks and never return. Others don't see the benefit of following company design standards and practices and get asked to leave.

> > > > >

> > > > > With that said, this process has some risk for the employer that cannot be overlooked. Putting the time, effort and expense into training someone only to have them leave is the biggest and most obvious. Which is likely the biggest reason most employers would rather seek formally educated staff rather than potentially waste time, effort and expense in training people for their competitors benefit. We have lost a handful for reasons that didn't sit very well with us. After spending three or four years training someone for a position they weren't remotely qualified for at 18 years of age only to have them jump over to a competitor hurts in more ways than one. We are currently developing methods of being better at the selection process along with requiring term contracts based on the level of training and experience we offer the candidates.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's a work in progress but so far, the positives outweigh the negatives. Unfortunately, we have learned to mostly steer clear of the "homeschooled" kids. They have unanimously been a pain in the **** in more ways than one!

> > > >

> > > > i would like to hear ur comments on homeschooled kids? I feel that homeschooling really does a disservice to the child's social development.

> > >

> > > My opinions on the subject are nothing ground breaking. By-in-large, it has been our experience that homeschool kids are kept in a "perfect environment" by their parents. They are never allowed to face adversity. Watching someone face adversity for the first time as an adult is a unique experience. We deal a lot with government agencies. Having a project reviewed by one of those agencies is typically a 90 day process but one that is necessary in order to receive the proper permitting required to go to construction. Most clients rarely understand this and can get testy in the downtime, regardless of how often we explain the process to them. Basically, it's a lot of "hurry up and wait." So we field the same call from the same client week after week and they are sometimes upset with the process.

> > >

> > > Another key fundamental flaw we found is terrible time management skills. Homeschool kids don't have class schedules to follow. Dedicated times to be at a specific location. Therefore, they don't form these skills during childhood and rarely get those skills from the parents. **Fumbling into the office at 9am when everyone else has been hard at work for at least two hours is a problem. Taking two hour lunch breaks almost every day is a problem. Having mom and dad come to the office for an hour to chit-chat is a problem. Heading to the gym/church/babysit a younger sibling at 4pm is a problem. Added up, the above example would be a 5 hour work day! That was more often than not, a normal day for some. Understanding the importance of meeting deadlines was also something that was nonexistent. **

> > >

> > > In no way am I saying this is indicative of every homeschool kid. But it was unanimous in the kids we have seen come through our program.

> > >

> > > Back on topic, Bahtia will learn a lot of these skills through the game of golf. I'm sure most of this will never be an issue for him.

> >

> > Not sure that is a homeschool thing, lol. Many places are flexible with the time you start your day whether it's 7am or 9am, leaving early everyday would be an issue though. Need to make sure your putting in your 8. Just depends if you made it clear to them that you want them there at 7am and they don't listen.

> > On the starting early thing, I have found many of those people that come in super early, come straight to the cafeteria and sit down with their breakfast and coffee and then leave around 2:30pm, lol. So I mean, it goes both ways.

> >

>

> If you're coming to work at 9am in an engineering environment, you're not going to last very long. Just saying, our contracts have a "shelf-life" that requires them to be submitted to various agencies as well as the client by a certain date. If we miss that deadline, we are typically "fined" a set dollar amount for every day we are late as per the contract documents. Additionally, "putting in your 8" is a foreign concept and we don't have a cafeteria. I am in my office by 6:30 every morning and rarely leave before 5:30 every afternoon. Everyone else in my office follows a similar routine. It's just the nature of the beast in this business. If we don't stay on top of these projects, we fall behind. And we can't afford to fall behind.

>

> The college and/or high school interns we have brought in over the years seem to grasp time management far better than the dozen or so home schooled kids we have brought in for internships. The difference is quite palpable! I wish the kid well and fully agree, college isn't for everyone. But he better have a back-up plan of some kind because history tells us some incredible amateurs didn't pan out in professional golf. He's not guaranteed anything on any Tour!

well I mean if that is the environment of your workplace, then yea you better follow suit if you want to work there. It is not the same every place though, in engineering environments. Many places have more flexible hours and good work/life balance and others are more strict. I read you guys train people to do the job instead of them coming with a degree, well that doesn't surprise me considering most college educated would jump ship to other companies. I'm not home schooled but the ones I have seen aren't messed up like you mentioned, in fact the ones I have seen have good work ethic. It's just not the best for social opportunities.